Mar. 13, 2010 Eastern Magic - "Caribbean Amphibians"

First - welcome Tinkerbeth and family! It's going to be a wonderful vacay for all families and especially for those cruising for the first time. We went when my daughter had just turned four and it was fine! There are lots of fun things you can do for anniversaries including dinners at Palo and spa fun!

Fish extenders are a cute way to bond the Dissers that are on the cruise together. Basically, it's like surprise party favors. As we get closer, we'll compile a list of families going and children and their ages (distributed privately of course since these are open boards.) Each family brings some sort of gifts either for the cabin for for each of the children. They can be cruise related gifts, Disney related gifts, personalized gifts, state related gifts - doesn't matter -- basically it's sourvenirs from your DIS buds from the cruise.

You can either buy or make a fish extender (which is a fancy bunch of pockets to hang outside your door) or use a gift bag or a bucket - doesn't matter. Then depending on what the group decides - you either distribute them to the cabins on preset dates or secretly -- so there's usually a surprise waiting for you when you come back at night.

The fish extenders can look like anything, but you've got to get the horizontal measurements right or they won't fit. I'll post those down the page. Anyway, we did it (slightly differently) on our last cruise and the kids still have all of their stuff that they take out and look at all the time. The fun part is making it memorable!

:grouphug: pirate: pixiedust:

Fish Extender Instructions (If you're going to make them.)

You need 1/4 yard of fabric, iron interfacing, wide double fold bias tape, and a 3/8" dowel 8" long.

Pockets are 11" X 5 1/2"
Back is 32" X 8"

Cut out backing and pockets then iron on interfacing.
Sew bias tape on top of pocket
pleat once on each side and pin bottom of pocket so that it is 8" wide.
baste, then pin bias tape on bottom and sew on
Pin pockets on backing and sew bottom of pocket to backing
Pin and baste around entire outside of project.
Pin then sew bias tape around outside edge of whole fish extender
fold top over leaving room for you dowel at top and sew along the inside of bias tape down each side to secure.

There are lots of fun things to do once we get our group going:

We can make shirts with our group Carribbean Amphibians pic and the dates (iron ons at home);

We can arrange group meets and kid meets;

We can figure out the fish extenders;

Etc, Etc.

On our last cruise it was awesome to be walking around the ship and have people calling our names and our kids' names -- it was like being in a very familiar place. The kids always had someone to hang out with at the pool or in the clubs.

This is so fun! Thanks for explaining fish extenders. When we get closer, I think I'll take those instructions, buy some cool fabric and ask the fashion teacher at my school who is good at sewing and hire a student to make them. (There are a few perks to teaching high school...I know who all the best babysitters are too! ;)

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Beth:joker:

This is so fun! Thanks for explaining fish extenders. When we get closer, I think I'll take those instructions, buy some cool fabric and ask the fashion teacher at my school who is good at sewing and hire a student to make them. (There are a few perks to teaching high school...I know who all the best babysitters are too! ;)

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Beth:joker:

I teach middle school as well -- we don't have a sewing teacher, but I do have the best sitters! I think once we get about eight months out that we'll have a bunch more people in the group and things will pick up. I've got fabric in my closet waiting for me to actually sit down and make this sucker! My girlfriend is hot glue gunning hers....

hey everyone!!!
Just checking in....glad to see a few more have joined us:thumbsup2 We would definitely love to do the fish extenders!! We did them on our last cruise and it was an awesome experience!!

I'm new to all this too so will need some help along the way! I can sew a bit, but pictures help so if you get the fish extender made and can post a pic that would help me!! Sounds like fun to try!!

My 3 year old said last night "we going on a cruise tomorrow" Wish it were that fast - the concept of time just isn't quite there yet!!

My husband reminded me that today is the one year anniversary of our Disney Cruise.....best vacay ever! Can't wait to go again!

OK - totally so excited - I just found out that my bud - and disney expert extrordinairre - whom I met on the last cruise - is going on this cruise, too! She's awesome and knows every tip there is! YAYAY!:banana: :banana: :banana:

I'm new to all this too so will need some help along the way! I can sew a bit, but pictures help so if you get the fish extender made and can post a pic that would help me!! Sounds like fun to try!!

My 3 year old said last night "we going on a cruise tomorrow" Wish it were that fast - the concept of time just isn't quite there yet!!

I don't have any pics of the fish extender from the cruise. I have no idea why I didn't take any...I am guessing that I was upset about not having the magnets for the door. I will try to dig out the fish extender and take a pic to post.

I don't have any pics of the fish extender from the cruise. I have no idea why I didn't take any...I am guessing that I was upset about not having the magnets for the door. I will try to dig out the fish extender and take a pic to post.

I'm excited to have one this trip....we did it a little differently on the last cruise.

What other kind of stuff do we want to do with this group for the cruise?

Hi Everyone! We just got back from a back to back on the Disney Magic and it was the MOST incredible cruise we have ever taken... and with 69 under our belts that is saying something.

I envy you all getting ready to go on and wonder if some of you can help me out with some fun.

We had a great time with our Head Server who is also a Server in Palo... his name is Roberto. We joked and teased the entire 2 weeks and it was truly said when we left. I told him that we would haunt him from beyond and that is where you all come in.

If any of you have Palo reservations PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE say Hi to PJ from Dave and Michael... but go up to Roberto and tell him that Dave and Michael from the Disney Boards told you to find him and ask him for a special free Roberto cocktail. Then ask him if he has his GPS positioning yet. (He kept joking that he was going to tag me with it so he would know when we were coming so he could hide.)

I am going to ask people to do this every week for as long as I can keep it going.

I know he will laugh, but it will also let him know that we truly enjoyed his service and friendship while on board. You should request him as a server if you don't already have a favorite.

Thanks alot!

Dave:banana:

I'm excited to have one this trip....we did it a little differently on the last cruise.

What other kind of stuff do we want to do with this group for the cruise?

I thought that I replied earlier...guess I forgot to hit the post button:confused3 Anyway, on the last cruise that I was on the Disers had a couple of meets planned. We were only able to make one of them because of DS schedule. If we didn't take our cues from him we would be dealing with a major case of "crankies!" They also linked dining reservations. We weren't able to do this either because we had the first dining, while most of them had the second dining. Hopefully this cruise will work out a little better. I am noticing that there may be a couple of kids closer to DS age.

I like the pirate Kermit pic. The Disigns board also has another one with Pirate Kermit in a porthole. These would be great for t-shirts and magnets. I made some t-shirts for the last cruise we were on. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but a couple of them had the ink run. I hope that I can figure out where I went wrong because they were really cool!

I think I have the kermit in a porthole - but if you find it can you post it? We can pick which one we want for a shirt and which one for a magnet (even luggage tags!) and upload it to Vista Print to take advantage of their free tshirt offers.....

I thought that I replied earlier...guess I forgot to hit the post button:confused3 Anyway, on the last cruise that I was on the Disers had a couple of meets planned. We were only able to make one of them because of DS schedule. If we didn't take our cues from him we would be dealing with a major case of "crankies!" They also linked dining reservations. We weren't able to do this either because we had the first dining, while most of them had the second dining. Hopefully this cruise will work out a little better. I am noticing that there may be a couple of kids closer to DS age.

I like the pirate Kermit pic. The Disigns board also has another one with Pirate Kermit in a porthole. These would be great for t-shirts and magnets. I made some t-shirts for the last cruise we were on. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but a couple of them had the ink run. I hope that I can figure out where I went wrong because they were really cool!

I think I have the kermit in a porthole - but if you find it can you post it? We can pick which one we want for a shirt and which one for a magnet (even luggage tags!) and upload it to Vista Print to take advantage of their free tshirt offers.....

Ok here is the kermit in a porthole. I got it from the disign board, but I am sorry to say that I don't remember who disigned it. ( I have collected alot of disigns over there:worship: )

port9sm7.jpg

Oh yea...we would have to change the 2009 to 2010. And we could change the wording to Caribbean Amphibians.

I think that would be great for 1)Door Magnets (easy to identify for fish extenders!) and Luggage tags (pic on the front, info on the back!) Cool!

I'm thinking maybe the other Kermit pic for tshirts since it's got some motion -- what do you think?

Ok here is the kermit in a porthole. I got it from the disign board, but I am sorry to say that I don't remember who disigned it. ( I have collected alot of disigns over there:worship: )

port9sm7.jpg

Oh yea...we would have to change the 2009 to 2010. And we could change the wording to Caribbean Amphibians.

11 months and 1 week until our cruise!

I thought we'd have a bunch more people on this thread by now....hmmmmm...​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter