• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Malestrom

The Norway pavillion seems to have been unintended as a national pavillion, but was originally conceived as a kind of "pan-Scandinavia" Nordic pavillion. From Wikipedia:

"The Norway pavilion is the most recent nation to be added to World Showcase. It opened on May 6, 1988, however it was not given its official opening until a month later. In June 1988, the grand opening was dedicated by Harald V of Norway (then Crown Prince) in a ceremony that was broadcast live to Norway. The original idea was to create a Nordic Pavilion that would combine elements from various countries into one exhibit. Three countries were consulted, but it finally ended up with investors from Norway raising the US$30 million required to create an exclusive national pavilion. Disney contributed the other one-third of the construction cost. In 1992, the investors sold their stake to Disney. Since nearly as many people visit Epcot as live in Norway, the government felt it still was a good promotional tool for their tourism industry. The federal government continued to contribute US$200,000 annually for five years to help fund the exhibit. Renewed in 1997 for a further 5 years, the government stopped payments in 2002, against the recommendations from their American embassy."

Frozen, as a vaguely Nordic story, takes it back to its roots.

And China is a paragon of virtue and enlightenment, and Germany has no sordid history to speak of?

I guess by your logic, no countries would exist in WS period if we are judging on history rather than the present. I'm hard pressed to think of any country, our very own included, that does not have some sort of blemish or dark period somewhere within its history. Today, Germany is one of our top allies and one of the most advanced 1st world nations in the world. China, while still emerging and not exactly the most pristine example, is lightyears ahead of India in almost every category I can think of. I am speaking from first hand experience, having spent significant time in China and a handful of visits to India.

I think that Disney wouldn't allow a country pavilion based on a place that destabilized an entire country by choice to feed the military industrial congressional complex and settle family scores either...

We Stand on moral virtue :P

I guess by your logic, no countries would exist in WS period if we are judging on history rather than the present.

The China history isn't past, it's history of poverty and oppression is current. So, it's just countries that you don't particularly like, by your arbitrary standards, which are unacceptable?
I'm hard pressed to think of any country, our very own included, that does not have some sort of blemish or dark period somewhere within its history.

Well, precisely, but you singled out one country for your opprobrium.

Today, Germany is one of our top allies and one of the most advanced 1st world nations in the world.

So, what? I thought we were talking about not overlooking "atrocities," which, by your standards, not mine, would leave us with Canada...maybe.

China, while still emerging and not exactly the most pristine example, is lightyears ahead of India in almost every category I can think of. I am speaking from first hand experience, having spent significant time in China and a handful of visits to India.

Since you're the self-appointed sole judge on the matter, I suppose your say goes. China's atrocities will be those that are overlooked. By the way, China has been in Epcot since 1982, right? They were mowing down protestors in Tiananmen Square in 1989 and still holds thousands of political prisoners. Those atrocities were overlooked. Who are you kidding?

The China history isn't past, it's history of poverty and oppression is current. So, it's just countries that you don't particularly like, by your arbitrary standards, which are unacceptable?

Well, precisely, but you singled out one country for your opprobrium.

So, what? I thought we were talking about not overlooking "atrocities," which, by your standards, not mine, would leave us with Canada...maybe.

Since you're the self-appointed sole judge on the matter, I suppose your say goes. China's atrocities will be those that are overlooked. By the way, China has been in Epcot since 1982, right? They were mowing down protestors in Tiananmen Square in 1989 and still holds thousands of political prisoners. Those atrocities were overlooked. Who are you kidding?

I have not "singled out" any country, nor can I comment on why the original countries were chosen to be a part of World Showcase 30+ years ago. I suspect the biggest deciding factor at the time was which countries were willing to pony up the funds required to participate in the program. But what I can comment on now, in the present, is why I think a country may or may not "make the cut" to be added to WS. For the reasons that I have previously mentioned, coupled with the fact that we now live in an incredibly sensitive, politically correct climate (which did NOT exist 30 years ago), I can say with 99.9% certainty that if Disney chooses to add another country into the existing WS mix, India will probably not be in the running. My comments are not based in "opprobrium", as you so eloquently put it, but rather, in reality.

Rather than Fast Pass, the India pavilion will be based on the Caste System with Guests staying in Deluxe resorts getting their curry served first, and the lowly Value resort guests getting the leftover scraps.

Kidding aside, population alone isn't a good enough reason for a country to make the cut in WS. Norway is a fascinating first-world country with rich history and traditions, which the current pavilion does an excellent job of conveying to its guests. India, while a fascinating country in its own right, is probably most well known for its unyielding poverty, caste system and unequal treatment of women. I highly doubt that Disney wants to touch any of that with a 10 foot pole, nor do I think that "serving good curry" is enough of a selling point to overlook these atrocities.

Up next for debate... North Korea, Cuba and Syria popcorn::

When I think of India, I think of food, dancing, and outsourced jobs. The restaurant and dance shows could be amazing, but the true gold lies in the outsourced jobs. Think of being strapped into a roller coaster themed as a desk; it races through an office complex into HR where you experience dizzying loops and inversions, and the ride concludes at unemployment. Imagine the gift shop opportunities!

When I think of India, I think of food, dancing, and outsourced jobs. The restaurant and dance shows could be amazing, but the true gold lies in the outsourced jobs. Think of being strapped into a roller coaster themed as a desk; it races through an office complex into HR where you experience dizzying loops and inversions, and the ride concludes at unemployment. Imagine the gift shop opportunities!

:rotfl2:

Since the culturally sensitive are hating on India, how about Brazil, then maybe there would be some good steak. And since we can only only consider current history in our decisions, that politically incorrect Viking undercurrent in Maelstrom should definitely be out. A Brazil pavilion would certainly please a growing contingent of guests.

Since the culturally sensitive are hating on India, how about Brazil, then maybe there would be some good steak. And since we can only only consider current history in our decisions, that politically incorrect Viking undercurrent in Maelstrom should definitely be out. A Brazil pavilion would certainly please a growing contingent of guests.

Hmmmm...

That's not gonna score "politically correct" cred either.

From a social policy/human rights perspective...they don't make you proud either.

I would welcome a new Pavilion from any country Disney would put up.

As a person who loves EPCOT, I don't think it's for everyone. And that's OK. Some people like chocolate ice cream, some order vanilla. Whatever.

I'd be disappointed if they turned Maelstorm into a Frozen ride, but I'm sure they'd make it a good ride too. It's clear they're trying to secure every dollar that can be made on Frozen. I told my wife, they're selling Frozen 3D sets in Europe. Note: it's just DVD/bluray in the US; they have a plan for phase 2 of sales in the US market.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Norway isn't boring, but the pavilion in World Showcase was last month. I wish they'd add more real information about the country.

Since Disney can't provide you with more real information about a real country, you'll have to settle for more fake information about a fake country.

I spoke to a lady on the phone from Disney and she said there were no planned rides being down during my trip in epcot. This is Nov 15-20. She also asked someone that she said would know and they had no idea of a Frozen ride takeover.

I spoke to a lady on the phone from Disney and she said there were no planned rides being down during my trip in epcot. This is Nov 15-20. She also asked someone that she said would know and they had no idea of a Frozen ride takeover.
When you call disney those are front line CMs they don't know these things. Yes it isn't on the refurb calendar, yes is hasn't been confirmed by disney. Doesn't mean that disney can't magically start a refurb even tho nothing has been said yet. There are no FPs for this attraction past September 27th. Something is up.

I would welcome a new Pavilion from any country Disney would put up.

As a person who loves EPCOT, I don't think it's for everyone. And that's OK. Some people like chocolate ice cream, some order vanilla. Whatever.

I'd be disappointed if they turned Maelstorm into a Frozen ride, but I'm sure they'd make it a good ride too. It's clear they're trying to secure every dollar that can be made on Frozen. I told my wife, they're selling Frozen 3D sets in Europe. Note: it's just DVD/bluray in the US; they have a plan for phase 2 of sales in the US market.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We would miss Maelstrom, too. It's just one of those things that we do every trip - classic Epcot.

We would miss Maelstrom, too. It's just one of those things that we do every trip - classic Epcot.

We took our two kids on it in July...after not being on it myself in probably 12-15 years...
And it was really, really unimpressive.

The boat ride in Mexico and the French movie are far more entertaining...

But I have to admit, the classic animatronic rides don't seem to be in the future plans and a part of me would be sad if they gutted it for a princess overlay

I have seen mention of this elsewhere, but I just booked fastpass for mid-october. We have 3days of food and wine planned, and Maelstrom was not available for any of the three days. Looks like SOMETHING is afoot. Count me amongst those that don't mind a Frozen presence. But you can all forget what you want. Frozen is Disney's most popular IP in years, and they are going to take advantage. I just worry about where there going to queue the huge lines for this.

I have seen mention of this elsewhere, but I just booked fastpass for mid-october. We have 3days of food and wine planned, and Maelstrom was not available for any of the three days. Looks like SOMETHING is afoot. Count me amongst those that don't mind a Frozen presence. But you can all forget what you want. Frozen is Disney's most popular IP in years, and they are going to take advantage. I just worry about where there going to queue the huge lines for this.

Its been said by numerous people that you can't book a FP for Maelstrom past September 27th. Ive also heard people say the refurb may begin October 1st. That time period is the start of fiscal 2015 for Disney so these moves would make sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter