Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FIVE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I have struggled with guilt and feelings like we don't deserve this trip; or more accurately that there are other families that deserve it more. Anyway, after that short but intense and emotionally draining ordeal, I have decided to be thankful and not guilty when it comes to this trip.
Allan.
Don't feel guilty and enjoy. My daughter has a genetic syndrome that is way less intense than a ton of others that I have seen recieve a wish. But the things she has went through and the things to come...sigh. We were told she qualified when she was 3, she is now 5.5. One thing with our wish project is that they changed who qualifies for a wish through them. They now include kids with complex medical issues, kids that have spent many, many days in hospitals, not just life threatening (although Elsa's can very quickly be if not monitored). Just looking at her, you wouldn't know that she has anything "special:cool1:" about her. But when I tell people that have known her that she is getting a wish granted, they get tears in their eyes, knowing that she deserves it. But as it gets closer, I am starting to have second thoughts, like do we really deserve this?? Agh!

Don't feel bad at all! My son looks like a normal 7 yr old, but he has to go through weekly immune treatments. Just because some other child may have a harder treatment doesn't mean your child doesn't deserve to have a wish. I understand though, we have run across a few people that just look at me crazy and ask why does Carter qualify. Until they spend a day in your shoes no one truely understands! Have a wonderful trip, he did a great job in choosing!! :thumbsup2

Thank you! The entire family is getting super excited! Like I said, I've decided to just be thankful and enjoy everything as much as possible.

Kyras doctor called me this morning to go over all of the meds and travel safety. She was faxing forward the forms to Make-A-Wish this morning! Next step is receiving the final package from Make-A-Wish then boarding the plane! A week from today and all of the family will be here to get ready to go then next day were leaving bright and early! Im so excited!

Don't feel guilty and enjoy. My daughter has a genetic syndrome that is way less intense than a ton of others that I have seen recieve a wish. But the things she has went through and the things to come...sigh. We were told she qualified when she was 3, she is now 5.5. One thing with our wish project is that they changed who qualifies for a wish through them. They now include kids with complex medical issues, kids that have spent many, many days in hospitals, not just life threatening (although Elsa's can very quickly be if not monitored). Just looking at her, you wouldn't know that she has anything "special:cool1:" about her. But when I tell people that have known her that she is getting a wish granted, they get tears in their eyes, knowing that she deserves it. But as it gets closer, I am starting to have second thoughts, like do we really deserve this?? Agh!

I think I know exactly how you feel. Liam has been in remission for almost a year now. His hair has grown back, he's healthy, strong and growing. He looks like a normal kid because he is a normal kid. Getting special treatment is going to feel weird, but we have decided to just accept it and be thankful.

Hello everyone!

I don't quite know how to approach this, so I guess I'll just dive in.

My eleven year old son, Liam, was diagnosed with Burkitt's Lymphoma last year. He went through five rounds of chemo, three surgeries and many hospital stays. The Children's Wish Foundation of Canada visited him in the hospital during his second round of chemo and told him that he was eligible for a wish. His first reaction was "SKYDIVING!" They politely suggested he choose something else.

I think the chance to make a wish really gave him something to hold on to. The second chemo round was tough because it was an intense mix of chemicals and it made him very sick and he suffered through a lot of pain. My wife and I split 24 hour shifts at the hospital and he always perked up when talking about his wish.

I think he thought that a Disney trip was out of reach, but when he knew it was something he could wish for, he really got serious about it. He chose a land and sea package. Four days at Disney World and three days on a cruise.

Anyway, we leave on Sunday November 25th and it's already been amazing. Children's Wish has been fantastic. Anyone else feel like these organisations go way above and beyond? They've invited us to baseball games, basketball games, Halloween socials, etc, and treated all of us like gold. He's a huge hockey fan and at the Halloween social, they gave him a Winnipeg Jets jersey (our favourite team) autographed by his favourite player.

My wife and I have struggled with guilt and feelings like we don't deserve this trip; or more accurately that there are other families that deserve it more. Liam finished his treatments in under three months, when they told us it would be six to nine months. November 21 will be the one year anniversary of the end of his last treatment. December 20 will be the one year anniversary of his oncologist declaring him "in remission" or "cancer free!"

So yeah, we feel like there are other families who go through so much more than we did. And that's true, no doubt.

But... it could easily have gone the other way. Burkitt's Lymphoma is a very aggressive cancer and achieving remission is not a given. In retrospect the treatment seemed easy and straightforward but it could have easily gone sideways in a hurry. He was stage 1. He had a golf ball sized lump appear on his neck literally... literally overnight. His tonsil was cancerous, his breathing was compromised and in short order it was life threatening.

Anyway, after that short but intense and emotionally draining ordeal, I have decided to be thankful and not guilty when it comes to this trip. I'm going to accept everything that is offered with sincere gratitude. It's a once in a lifetime trip for our family and I plan on enjoying and appreciating every last second.

Thanks for Listening!

Allan.

Congrats on your son's recovery! That is awesome, and you guys all deserve this trip 100%.

I don't think we have had the experience others have had with "gifts" from Make-A-Wish, but this trip is going to be amazing. We leave this Sunday for Disney World, and are so excited.

I look forward to hearing about your land and sea trip. You guys are going to have so much fun!! I wanted to do something like that, but our MAW chapter denied it. Then I presented the wish of a Disney Cruise, and that was denied, so now its Disney World staying at Give Kids the World - we have no complaints and are so grateful we do get to go.

:cool1:

:welcome: vegomatic :) So sorry Liam has been through so much. So glad that his treatment went much quicker than expected, and that he is doing so well. Loved his first wish - very adventurous. That's part of the purpose of the wish programs - to give them hope, and to help them get through everything they have to deal with. So wonderful that Children's Wish offers so many exciting programs for the wish kids. Looking forward to hearing all about the land/sea package - where are you staying? I hope you have a fantastic trip!

OK, super uber excited!!!! I did go ahead and call our wish granters. I changed our requested days from Easter week to the first week in June. Other than the heat, I think this will work better for us and won't have to fight the holiday crowds. So, anyway, I got the call tonight that Prescott's wish was approved!!!!!!! Yay! It is getting real! The wish granters said that they will come over at the end of the month to tell Prescott and his brothers that Prescott will get the wish. Prescott won't really understand until he gets there, but his brothers will. The wish granters said they will come over with cake and balloons to tell them. I am so tickled that it is hard to not share. So, I'm sharing with you!!!

Yay for having the wish granted! :cheer2: And for being able to change the dates :)

Don't feel bad at all! My son looks like a normal 7 yr old, but he has to go through weekly immune treatments. Just because some other child may have a harder treatment doesn't mean your child doesn't deserve to have a wish. I understand though, we have run across a few people that just look at me crazy and ask why does Carter qualify. Until they spend a day in your shoes no one truely understands! Have a wonderful trip, he did a great job in choosing!! :thumbsup2

So true. I know that we had no clue, until DD's diagnosis. Even people that seem to have a pretty good understanding of the illness/condition, usually have no idea just how much the family's entire way of living is permanently changed once a child is diagnosed.

This afternoon should be interesting! Carter has to got to the dentist and get 3-4 teeth pulled! :scared: His big teeth like to come in before he his baby teeth fall out! They come up right behind. I will post on his PTR after!

Aw, I feel for him. Hope it went well.

:hug:

I look forward to hearing about your land and sea trip. You guys are going to have so much fun!! I wanted to do something like that, but our MAW chapter denied it. Then I presented the wish of a Disney Cruise, and that was denied, so now its Disney World staying at Give Kids the World - we have no complaints and are so grateful we do get to go. :cool1:

Sorry your chapter wouldn't allow a cruise. :hug: I know it varies chapter to chapter, but it seems like a cruise is a pretty standard one. The papers our chapter sent with little pictures on them to help a child pick their wish shows a cruise ship, so we are hopeful that Angel will be able to have her first wish.

Hello everyone!

I don't quite know how to approach this, so I guess I'll just dive in.

My eleven year old son, Liam, was diagnosed with Burkitt's Lymphoma last year. He went through five rounds of chemo, three surgeries and many hospital stays. The Children's Wish Foundation of Canada visited him in the hospital during his second round of chemo and told him that he was eligible for a wish. His first reaction was "SKYDIVING!" They politely suggested he choose something else.

I think the chance to make a wish really gave him something to hold on to. The second chemo round was tough because it was an intense mix of chemicals and it made him very sick and he suffered through a lot of pain. My wife and I split 24 hour shifts at the hospital and he always perked up when talking about his wish.

I think he thought that a Disney trip was out of reach, but when he knew it was something he could wish for, he really got serious about it. He chose a land and sea package. Four days at Disney World and three days on a cruise.

Anyway, we leave on Sunday November 25th and it's already been amazing. Children's Wish has been fantastic. Anyone else feel like these organisations go way above and beyond? They've invited us to baseball games, basketball games, Halloween socials, etc, and treated all of us like gold. He's a huge hockey fan and at the Halloween social, they gave him a Winnipeg Jets jersey (our favourite team) autographed by his favourite player.

My wife and I have struggled with guilt and feelings like we don't deserve this trip; or more accurately that there are other families that deserve it more. Liam finished his treatments in under three months, when they told us it would be six to nine months. November 21 will be the one year anniversary of the end of his last treatment. December 20 will be the one year anniversary of his oncologist declaring him "in remission" or "cancer free!"

So yeah, we feel like there are other families who go through so much more than we did. And that's true, no doubt.

But... it could easily have gone the other way. Burkitt's Lymphoma is a very aggressive cancer and achieving remission is not a given. In retrospect the treatment seemed easy and straightforward but it could have easily gone sideways in a hurry. He was stage 1. He had a golf ball sized lump appear on his neck literally... literally overnight. His tonsil was cancerous, his breathing was compromised and in short order it was life threatening.

Anyway, after that short but intense and emotionally draining ordeal, I have decided to be thankful and not guilty when it comes to this trip. I'm going to accept everything that is offered with sincere gratitude. It's a once in a lifetime trip for our family and I plan on enjoying and appreciating every last second.

Thanks for Listening!

Allan.

Hi Allan. Yay for Liam! I'm so glad he is cancer free and no better way to celebrate that than with a wish trip. As a few others have already posted please don't feel guilty at all. Liam has been through more than most people will in their entire life. This is a time to celebrate! I was a little unsure when we were contacted by Make A Wish just because I too thought well my child is going to be ok now but it is really about the journey and being able to put a smile on their face. And I too know all too well about the 24hour hospital shifts...you and your wife deserve a break too. If you have time I would suggest reading some of the pre trip reports that the other wish families have created. Every child has their own story each of which is being celebrated by a wish organization. We will be doing our wish trip in Jan on the Disney Dream cruise. I hope you will share all about your trip Liam will have a blast!

we leave 1 week from today! Any pointers on how to keep calm until next week?! I am so excited im thinking about it all day and dreaming about it all night lol Doing a bag check today to make a list for last minute items needed

Congrats on your son's recovery! That is awesome, and you guys all deserve this trip 100%.

I don't think we have had the experience others have had with "gifts" from Make-A-Wish, but this trip is going to be amazing. We leave this Sunday for Disney World, and are so excited.

I look forward to hearing about your land and sea trip. You guys are going to have so much fun!! I wanted to do something like that, but our MAW chapter denied it. Then I presented the wish of a Disney Cruise, and that was denied, so now its Disney World staying at Give Kids the World - we have no complaints and are so grateful we do get to go.

:cool1:

Thank you! Sorry you had so much trouble getting the wish you wanted, but I'm sure it will be great! We've never been before and this is our first "big ticket" family vacation. Hope you have a great time!

:welcome: vegomatic :) So sorry Liam has been through so much. So glad that his treatment went much quicker than expected, and that he is doing so well. Loved his first wish - very adventurous. That's part of the purpose of the wish programs - to give them hope, and to help them get through everything they have to deal with. So wonderful that Children's Wish offers so many exciting programs for the wish kids. Looking forward to hearing all about the land/sea package - where are you staying? I hope you have a fantastic trip!

Thank you! We were prepared for a much rougher road, but he was pretty strong. His oncologist said that it was the strangest case of Burkitt's he'd seen. Normally, it's so agressive that the tumours can double in size every 18 hours. His popped up and stayed the same. His doctor said it looked like his body was fighting it off and keeping it under control somehow.

We are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first four nights, then Disney Dream for the cruise.

Thanks again!

Hi Allan. Yay for Liam! I'm so glad he is cancer free and no better way to celebrate that than with a wish trip. As a few others have already posted please don't feel guilty at all. Liam has been through more than most people will in their entire life. This is a time to celebrate! I was a little unsure when we were contacted by Make A Wish just because I too thought well my child is going to be ok now but it is really about the journey and being able to put a smile on their face. And I too know all too well about the 24hour hospital shifts...you and your wife deserve a break too. If you have time I would suggest reading some of the pre trip reports that the other wish families have created. Every child has their own story each of which is being celebrated by a wish organization. We will be doing our wish trip in Jan on the Disney Dream cruise. I hope you will share all about your trip Liam will have a blast!

Thanks!

I am now pretty much past being guilty. My wife on the other hand... :) I have progressed to the "overwhelmed" stage. I've read through a lot of the pre (and post) trip reports. Nice to read stories by people who have gone through things like we did and read about the great times their kids had.

Have fun on your cruise!

we leave 1 week from today! Any pointers on how to keep calm until next week?! I am so excited im thinking about it all day and dreaming about it all night lol Doing a bag check today to make a list for last minute items needed

You just do.. :) I made list making sure I had everything on them.. I started to get a few things ready here and there throughout the week. Start thinking of autograph books, and maybe make one, or shop for one for your kids to use. Start laying some clothes out.. I hear ya.. I just went through that and the past two-three weeks, I have been so excited. I can't wait, but then again I can because I don't want it to end. :) This past week, I had to deal alot with medical issues and news that was difficult to handle, so that kept me busy, but it made me look forward to this trip even more! You just want time to go by so fast like I do today because we leave bright and early in the morning. Go over schedules, see what all there is to do there. Your going at a good time when a lot of things are just starting (Mickeys Jingle Jungle Parade) will start the week you are there. I don't know how many times I searched the internet making sure I knew what all was happening and what we would like to do. :) That helps time go by. Have you thought about shirts? Matching shirts? I just found some for my daughter and I to wear tomorrow that has mickey on them. I also decided to try to make a shirt for her the other day to wear one day this week. You can try that. These things can be done inexpensively. Think about what your going to do with photos - scrapbook (you can start designing pages). Go here to get ideas on how to get free scrapbooking ideas/supplies: http://goflorida.about.com/od/whatyouneedtoknow/a/wdw_free_scrapbooking_supplies.htm. It list things to use that I never would of even thought of. Just do whatever you can to keep going.. :):) Good luck and have a GREAT trip!
:yay:

Thank you! Sorry you had so much trouble getting the wish you wanted, but I'm sure it will be great! We've never been before and this is our first "big ticket" family vacation. Hope you have a great time!

Thank you

I believe in that everything happens for a reason and this is the trip that was meant to be. I am so excited and can't wait and think this was a great choice! Glad it was suggested!

HAVE FUN!!!

we leave 1 week from today! Any pointers on how to keep calm until next week?!

I don't think it's possible ;)

Thank you! We were prepared for a much rougher road, but he was pretty strong. His oncologist said that it was the strangest case of Burkitt's he'd seen. Normally, it's so agressive that the tumours can double in size every 18 hours. His popped up and stayed the same. His doctor said it looked like his body was fighting it off and keeping it under control somehow.

We are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first four nights, then Disney Dream for the cruise.

Thanks again!

Always happy to read the stories where things go "well", all things considered. :hug:

AKL is spectacular. Never stayed there, but always went over to visit. The food court there used to have fried shrimp, and we did Boma a few times when we had free dining. Angel loves giraffes, so if our chapter won't allow the cruise, AKL is next on her list.

Does anyone know how we get our PhotoPass CD? We just got home yesterday and I can't figure out if one will just come in the mail or what I have to do? Please help! Also for any families going soon, have an AMAZING time!! Spend time at GKTW!!

Just for fun, here is a picture of Liam.

liam_cropped_smaller-1.jpg

I am packing as we leave really early tomorrow morning and I was told I am limited to one carry on and one checked per person. So, we have that, but I also have her lunch box with her feedings in it and her small bag with just her medications and her small nebulizer bag. I am hoping I can get these onboard as well. We have say some room (say for two adult sweatshirts) in our checked bags and returning home, one of the bags will have say an additional amount of room equaling another adults sweatshirt, so on the way home we will have enough room for an adult xl thick sweatshirts. I am using those as examples because the note I have from GKTW states to bring an extra bag for the goodies you receive to bring home. Do you think the space I will have coming home will be enough, or do i need to pack a small bag to bring stuff back?

I sure hope that makes sense.

Does anyone know how we get our PhotoPass CD? We just got home yesterday and I can't figure out if one will just come in the mail or what I have to do? Please help! Also for any families going soon, have an AMAZING time!! Spend time at GKTW!!

Sure hope you guys had a wonderful time!!!

I read somewhere that you go online and order it. Hopefully someone can confirm this so I will know upon returning home.

I am packing as we leave really early tomorrow morning and I was told I am limited to one carry on and one checked per person. So, we have that, but I also have her lunch box with her feedings in it and her small bag with just her medications and her small nebulizer bag. I am hoping I can get these onboard as well. We have say some room (say for two adult sweatshirts) in our checked bags and returning home, one of the bags will have say an additional amount of room equaling another adults sweatshirt, so on the way home we will have enough room for an adult xl thick sweatshirts. I am using those as examples because the note I have from GKTW states to bring an extra bag for the goodies you receive to bring home. Do you think the space I will have coming home will be enough, or do i need to pack a small bag to bring stuff back?

I sure hope that makes sense.

you could either pack a foldable duffle bag in the bottom of the suit case or there are also gktw duffle bags for sale in there gift shop portion of the website so im assuming they have them there. You should call the airline and double check the best way for the meds as every airline is different

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter