Major systematic problems with Oceaneer's club

We were on the June 24 Baltic cruise and both of my kids loved the kids' clubs. I was very glad that there was an option for kids to select their activities, regardless of Club vs. Lab, as my 7 year old had no interest in the Club anymore and would have been miserable there. However, my 5 year old preferred the Club over the Lab and opted to go there. I thought there were some great counselors, in particular at the Lab.

Interestingly, my nephews who were also on the cruise did not like the Club or Lab as much. One spent as little time as possible in Oceaneers or the Lab and the other really only liked the video games at the Lab. They just weren't that interested in group activites with unfamiliar kids and counselors.

I think individual kids can have different experiences in the clubs based on their personalities and interest in hanging out with a bunch of kids and counselors they don't know.

Overall, still think the Club and Lab are excellent. My kids love them. My 5 year old just about cried when we cut off his wrist band and turned in the pager. I give Disney very high scores for the kid activities.:thumbsup2

We were also on the June 24th Baltic sailing.
Our DD9 loved the lab. Wanted to stay everynight till closing.
Of course, we didn't let her. We booked to do the Med 5/28/11 on the
Magic. We are hoping to add the Transatlantic 5/14 on so she can have
6 straight days to hang in the lab.

We were on the June 8 Wonder Cruise.
Both of our kids (DS 10 yr & DD 6yr) participated in the Lab/Club. Our DD LOVED it. Wanted to spend all day every day at the club. She went to the Lab once or twice, but felt the activities were a little more involved and older.
Our DS only liked a couple of the activities, but truly enjoyed the Out & About activities geared for the tweens. He really liked being able to travel around the ship and do different types of things, instead of just staying in the Lab.
He spent far less time in the Kids Club than our daughter, but it was also very nice to get some one-on-one time with him while on vacation (as parents we know these years are fleeting- they grow up so fast).
Everyone will have different experiences with the clubs depending on their children's personalities and the other children.
The worst day we experienced was our Day at Sea. It seemed that everyone wanted to put their child in the kids club on that day, so it was very crowded. Our DD had requested to do a particular activity (face-painting), so that was the only time she was there. When she was done at the activity, she said it was too crowded. There were far more CM's that day, but still a lot more children than normal.
All in all, they do a wonderful job and our children thoroughly enjoyed it. They are already making plans for the next cruise!

We were on the June 7 day Repositioning cruise. Our DD who is 5. very confident and outgoing, went to the Club a number of times. She is used to a Nursery (daycare), environment and has just done her first year at 'big' school.

Whilst she enjoyed it and was happy to go in, I can't really say that we relaxed about leaving her and spent a lot of time checking to see that she was happy/engaged in an activity and not being left on her own.

The reason for my concern was mainly that it all seemed a bit disorganised, maybe we are used to having well structured kids club, with continuous activities on the UK ships, but DCL seemed a bit more of a 'free for all', with children of mixed ages, running everywhere. I have to say, I was concerned for the little ones in that environment. I also saw very young children upset, with no one comforting them. One little girl was crying for her Mummy, which no one had noticed. I took her hand and took her to the desk, the CM made no attempt to 'care' for her, just said 'OK I'll page your Mummy to come get you'. I would have thought they would have interacted a bit and maybe tried to help her settle in or find out the problem.

CM's did seem to be grouped around the desks and unless there was a specific activity going on, then that was where they stayed. Even during the activities, a number of children went off on the slides and climbing frame, which was extremely distracting for those that were sitting and listening to a story or doing something with the rest of the group.

I was also concerned about dd going to the Lab, she was frequently taken there, as part of the group, but was certainly out of her depth with some of the things they did. e.g The 'flubber' making was far too much talking and techincal to hold her interest and the older children messing about unnerved her. There was also an activity with dry ice, which worried her - I happened to be there at the time, sitting at the back and she asked to leave.

One evening we went to pick her up late (the one evening in 7, we were having drinks with friends!) All the girls at 10.30pm were in the Lab, having a 'girls' night. Whilst this was fun for the older ones, I found some of the 'adult' discussions going on about boys, kissing, tatoos etc., wasn't really appropriate for a five year old, but pefectly acceptable for the slightly older girls. Had I known this event was going on (my fault for not checking the itinerary), We wouldn't have stayed so late.

Overall the kids club is useful, if you use it wisely. Older kids will cope well and stick up for themselves I should think, but little ones could be vulnerable and I don't think there is actually much 'care and supervision' to ensure the safety of the smaller children. How can there be with a ration of 15-1? I think a more structured 3 - 6 group would be much safer and reassuring for parents.

We are going again in August for 10 days, DD is looking forward to going to the club, however, we will only leave her when we know a 'supervised' activity/event is taking place and I am going to request this time, that she stays in the Club and isn't taken over to the Lab, unless I know what she is going to.

I have to conclude that we have cruised on a number of ships and the DCL club is probably one of the least organised we have come across - however, we don't cruise for the kids clubs, so it doesn't really impact on us too much. DCL could however do well to listen to the concerns, as it lets down, what is a fantastic holiday with children.

Some of these stories make me very sad also. I would think that if people shared their stories with DCL that something would change.

The last time we cruised (2009) our dd almost 2 1/2 and our ds was 9 months. We put both of them in Flounder's (it was our 3rd cruise and dd had always loved Flounder's), when we went to pick them up dd was in the club. She was potty trained and they said she was fine there. The next day we let her go to the club and picked her up an hour later. When we walked it the door it was chaotic (we expected this). A counselor was at the bottom of the slide looking up it and yelled, "what do you think you are doing? You know better than that! Get down here NOW!" I then saw my daughters sandal in the counselor's hand and her leg in the counselor's other hand. My dd had climbed up the slide the wrong way. My first thought was that at 2, she didn't know any better as I had never had that problem with her before. Secondly, was anyone watching the kids to make sure they were going down the slide the "right way" to begin with and lastly, did someone really just scream at my baby and grab her by the leg???

While I am okay with the counselor correcting her, I was very upset to hear how she was spoken to and that she was pulled by the leg and drug down the slide. When I questioned the counselor as to what had happened (explaining that that was my baby that she pulled down the slide and yelled to like that), she was speechless.

We did talk to someone who was suppose to over see the clubs. He was very apologetic and said the counselor was new and should have know not to put her hands on a child and speak to her that way. We don't yell at our children and it was hurtful to see a Disney counselor do that. Also expressed my concern about her being too young and them putting her in the club when we took her to Flounder's but he reassured us it was a one time event and he would have his "best" counselors watch her if we would bring her back. We did end up letting her go there a couple of days later because she asked to go (I was not thrilled about it) but they did have one person that pretty much stayed with her.

I did write a letter to DCL and they responded that the issue had been addressed while on the ship. I am hopeful that for our cruise next year that my children (will be almost 5 and 3) will have a fun, safe time in the clubs.

Some of these stories make me very sad also. I would think that if people shared their stories with DCL that something would change.

Alot of people on here have said they have addressed their issues to DCL & like you they were told it was taken care of. But as we can see "things" continue to happen.
Our next cruise my son will be almost 6 and able to tell me exactly what happens or not happens. I think we'll both be alot happier.
There is that in between age when the kids can't really tell you what happens that I think they have the most issues with.

These stories have me worried. We are going on a cruise in Dec and my daughter has high functioning Autism. I have talked to her at great length about the Club and she is excited to try it. However, she will probably need a counselor to be beside and help her with the activities. Is this even possible? There's no way she will go to the Club on her own without a counselor guiding her throughout the experience.

Please let me know if anyone thinks this is possible. If not, I will have to rethink the cruise.

Thanks!

I don't think it would be much of an issue. they are known to acommidate alot of things. If I were you, I'd care DCL and ask alot of questions.

These stories have me worried. We are going on a cruise in Dec and my daughter has high functioning Autism. I have talked to her at great length about the Club and she is excited to try it. However, she will probably need a counselor to be beside and help her with the activities. Is this even possible? There's no way she will go to the Club on her own without a counselor guiding her throughout the experience.

Please let me know if anyone thinks this is possible. If not, I will have to rethink the cruise.

Thanks!

I would call and let them make arrangements as far out as possible, if they need extra staff they can plan for it. I would think if you waited to till on board they would not be able to deal as well or you may have to plan on being in the club with her to help her

I know that as a parent I am shocked at some of the things that I have read, even more so that its from Disney....whom I think is supposed to be more geared at children. MY 3 boys have asked forever to go on a cruise, and we are booked on the Dream next May, I do have to say that these stories make me really uneasy on whether to let them go to the clubs or not. I know that I will request that they stay together,(12,10,8). My 10 year old gets picked on a lot due to alot of things out of his control, and to think that he wouldn't be "safe" here. I just don't know. I do know one thing, big brother doesn't like it when anyone other than him picks on his younger buddies, so I really really hope that situations get under control and things become less hectic, or I am going to have a ticked off parent coming at me.

We were on the June 24 Baltic cruise and both of my kids loved the kids' clubs. I was very glad that there was an option for kids to select their activities, regardless of Club vs. Lab, as my 7 year old had no interest in the Club anymore and would have been miserable there. However, my 5 year old preferred the Club over the Lab and opted to go there. I thought there were some great counselors, in particular at the Lab.

Interestingly, my nephews who were also on the cruise did not like the Club or Lab as much. One spent as little time as possible in Oceaneers or the Lab and the other really only liked the video games at the Lab. They just weren't that interested in group activites with unfamiliar kids and counselors.

I think individual kids can have different experiences in the clubs based on their personalities and interest in hanging out with a bunch of kids and counselors they don't know.

Overall, still think the Club and Lab are excellent. My kids love them. My 5 year old just about cried when we cut off his wrist band and turned in the pager. I give Disney very high scores for the kid activities.:thumbsup2

We were also on the Baltic Cruise and while the kids had a great time my DD(10) said the Lab was full of little kids and my DN(8) often went over to the Club because there were too many people in the Lab.

While I understand it is hard for kids to be grouped in one club it is also hard when everyone sees the lab as the place to be. There was just too many young kids in the Lab!!! Even the counselors (which were great) seemed to be overwhelmed sometimes.

On the other hand my other DN(11) loved Ocean Quest and didn't want to leave. My DD wanted to go there.

I personally liked the "old system" where the kids are assigned a club/lab. This gives them something to look forward to when they get older and cruise again.

We were also on the Baltic Cruise and while the kids had a great time my DD(10) said the Lab was full of little kids and my DN(8) often went over to the Club because there were too many people in the Lab.

While I understand it is hard for kids to be grouped in one club it is also hard when everyone sees the lab as the place to be. There was just too many young kids in the Lab!!! Even the counselors (which were great) seemed to be overwhelmed sometimes.

On the other hand my other DN(11) loved Ocean Quest and didn't want to leave. My DD wanted to go there.

I personally liked the "old system" where the kids are assigned a club/lab. This gives them something to look forward to when they get older and cruise again.

I agree...I liked the old system also. My DD is an only child and it was great that she was able to hang out with kids her own age.

When did your DD turn 10...Would they let her in Ocean Quest. My DD will be 2 months shy of her 11th b-day and I when I was on the Magic last November they said she could go inot OQ this August....although if it was like it was before I would have much preferred her to be in place that gives out pagers.

I agree...I liked the old system also. My DD is an only child and it was great that she was able to hang out with kids her own age.

When did your DD turn 10...Would they let her in Ocean Quest. My DD will be 2 months shy of her 11th b-day and I when I was on the Magic last November they said she could go inot OQ this August....although if it was like it was before I would have much preferred her to be in place that gives out pagers.

She just turned 10 and could do some activities in OQ but, we didn't figure that out till later and she didn't feel like she belonged. Wish we would have seen that in the beginning.

I did talk to the OQ crew and they said that if they are not 11 yet it is up to the OQ crew to decide. The may base it on the number in the club.

She turns 11 on our next cruise so she will just start in OQ. I think this will help her out a lot.

We gave both our kids check in/out privileges this time around and it worked out great. We used a dry erase board and post its to have the kids communicate with us. It worked out great and we could always find them.

That is awful :( I am so sorry! We were onboard the Disney Wonder last summer for a 4 day cruise and they treated my son fabulously. He wasn't quite 3 but was potty trained. We'd reserved time for him at the nursery but they said he'd probably have more fun at the Oceaneer's club and they were right- he kept asking to go back.
You should NOT have seen or experienced what you did. I completely agree with everyone who has said complain LOUDLY! Unacceptable!

I was researching Disney Dream and saw all the wonderful plans for kids' areas, and then realized it was a "kids club" instead of just a play area for the whole family (like Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground at DHS.) So I started reading these threads about kids' clubs, and I'm just so surprised to hear all of this.

I'll admit, our three boys (ages pre-school to pre-teen) are not fans of kids' clubs anywhere - they know these clubs have been available to them at WDW, and on vacations to resorts in Florida, Park City, Martha's Vineyard and Mexico. They aren't clingy or scared by any means - they're generally independent. We just like to do things together, and they enjoy sticking with their little brother for little kid stuff at WDW and DL to see his reaction. They occasionally go on a ride at WDW by themselves (mission space, for example) but they've said it's more fun with at least one of us along. The wide variety of activities available to the entire family is one of the main reasons we love WDW and DL so much.

So given all of this, and the fact that we've never been on any cruise before, what do you all think about the idea of stopping by the kids clubs together? Can we go in with our youngest and play with him in the Toy Story room or the Nemo sub? We wouldn't do that in the kids' clubs at Disney resorts, because they exist for the purpose of childcare - is that pretty much the same for the kids' clubs on DCL? I know we won't know the specifics on Dream until January, but what do you all think based on your experiences on existing cruises? Not sure if a cruise is for us, and some of these threads make it look like kids and adults often go their own way, so I'd appreciate any responses.

We were on a 5-night DD cruise on the Wonder Aug 8-13. Our DD is 3 1/2 - doesn't go to daycare, and won't start school until Aug 2011. She's at home with me &/or her Dad everyday. No babysitters (we have no family in state -- they are all in Ohio).

Now, DH & I had been on a cruise before, and knew we wanted to go to Palo again. What do we do? Well, we test her out at the Oceaneer Club. We didn't even check her in/get the bracelet/pager until Day 3.On pirate night, we take her there after dinner to see how she'll do -- get her acclamated. She had seen the kids clubs on the DCL DVD and was thrilled about it - she loves other kids (no siblings, either), at the park, anywhere. So, we decided to go in with her, see how she'll do. We approach the club and we talked to by such a nice counselor, who explained everything. We stuck on "visitor" tags, and walked in. Well, immediately, DD RAN off - not looking back. DH and I couldn't believe it. She went right to the other kids, a little slide - gone. We observe for a little bit, and it was clear, she did not need us! We left her in for "So you want to be a Pirate" with Captain Hook, then "Sliding Fun" on the big slide (~ 2 hrs) and we fully expected to get paged. Nothing. No page. She was behaving, playing, having a great time. We picked her up to go to the Pirate Party, and she didn't want to leave!!

The next day, she's again begging to go to the kids club. Now, we hadn't planned on doing it until Palo, but after we met with the Princesses, we let her go in for "Do-si-do with Snow White," just for 1 hr before lunch. She's greeted with a squirt of soap and sent to wash her hands, and she's off! Again, she's in heaven. Loving it. All freakin' day we hear about her wanting to go to the kids club. She couldn't wait until we went to Palo so that she could go back.

That evening, we took her to eat pizza and watch a movie on Deck 9 until ~5:45pm, where we sent her to the kids club during our Palo dinner. She was extatic. We ate - no page. All is well. We go to pick her up a little before 8pm, and now, she is crying because SHE DIDN"T WANT TO LEAVE!!!

You can see, my child only spent 5 hrs in the Oceaneers Club total over a 5 night cruise, and none at Castaway Cay. She is only 3 1/2 (although she has a strong personality - she's small, but mighty, and can certainly hold her own! Watch out!), and I felt perfectly comfortable leaving her there. This is coming from someone who does not leave her child!

That's just my one opinion & situation, but I have praise for the Oceaneer Club.

I was researching Disney Dream and saw all the wonderful plans for kids' areas, and then realized it was a "kids club" instead of just a play area for the whole family (like Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground at DHS.) So I started reading these threads about kids' clubs, and I'm just so surprised to hear all of this.

I'll admit, our three boys (ages pre-school to pre-teen) are not fans of kids' clubs anywhere - they know these clubs have been available to them at WDW, and on vacations to resorts in Florida, Park City, Martha's Vineyard and Mexico. They aren't clingy or scared by any means - they're generally independent. We just like to do things together, and they enjoy sticking with their little brother for little kid stuff at WDW and DL to see his reaction. They occasionally go on a ride at WDW by themselves (mission space, for example) but they've said it's more fun with at least one of us along. The wide variety of activities available to the entire family is one of the main reasons we love WDW and DL so much.

So given all of this, and the fact that we've never been on any cruise before, what do you all think about the idea of stopping by the kids clubs together? Can we go in with our youngest and play with him in the Toy Story room or the Nemo sub? We wouldn't do that in the kids' clubs at Disney resorts, because they exist for the purpose of childcare - is that pretty much the same for the kids' clubs on DCL? I know we won't know the specifics on Dream until January, but what do you all think based on your experiences on existing cruises? Not sure if a cruise is for us, and some of these threads make it look like kids and adults often go their own way, so I'd appreciate any responses.

You can certainly go in with your child to play. They give you a "visitor" sticker and you can go in. I would've never left DD there without checking it out with her first.

We've only ever sailed on the Magic, but I have never seen, or heard, anything like this. That's awful! :sad2: The counselors on our most recent cruise were fabulous! In fact, several of them went so far above and beyond, we included them in our survey response. :thumbsup2

The first time we cruised, our youngest was just barely 3 and, while the Club was a bit overwhelming for him, he actually enjoyed being able to grab a book and sit by himself quietly for awhile. He missed us some, but never indicated that he felt left out or ignored.

Our most recent experience, now that the children were able to move freely from one area to the other, was that they actually had a lot more interaction from the Counselors. Every time we showed up, the boys were interacting with one of them in some way. Previously, they were either at the front desk, or doing the scheduled activity. Now, we found them helping make crafts, reading stories, playing chess, it was amazing!

pixarmom - we saw lots of parents interacting with their kids in both the Club and the Lab. We were always invited to go find our boys, and often helped out with whatever they were doing. I don't think there'll be any problem with you staying with your kids, especially at the beginning. ;)

After reading the posts here, I AM FREAKING OUT!! We're currently booked on 7-day W. Carib on the Magic w/ our 3-yo DS. While we don't plan to have him in the club for more than an hour here and there, I'm now reluctant to have him there at all!! Are there recent cruisers who can share brighter experiences w/ the club?? Otherwise, we may have to look elsewhere for our vacation needs. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter