Major Policy Change in DVC/DCL Trade Policy UPDATE ON POST #193

Wow...:scared1:
We booked a cash deposit back in March for the Disney Dream 8/16/2011. I hope something can be resolved. Just found out about this issue earlier today.
We have family (non-DVC) that have paid cash for the same cruise, in fact, our rooms are booked next to each other. In fact, I have trying to get them to purchase DVC by advocating the 'perks'.
Will be calling MS this morning. In fact, MS re-assured me that I could convert cash to points (no mention of this being based on availability)...our family reunion is approaching the final stages and we were converting cash to points and cash this month.
Well, if it doesn't work out, we will be back on RCCL's Oasis of the Seas (just returned last Saturday).
I just think it is ashame the lack of DVC's communication to their customers...they think we are such 'mouse fanatics' that we don't mind being taken for granted.
I am a retiree from one of the automotive manufacturers....hmmm, they also took their customers for granted:snooty:...DVC take a lesson in their mistakes.:charac2:

Good Luck - I hope you get to convert it to points - my brother is on the "wait list"/Call list for this cruise also.

Wow...:scared1:
We booked a cash deposit back in March for the Disney Dream 8/16/2011. I hope something can be resolved. Just found out about this issue earlier today.
We have family (non-DVC) that have paid cash for the same cruise, in fact, our rooms are booked next to each other. In fact, I have trying to get them to purchase DVC by advocating the 'perks'.
Will be calling MS this morning. In fact, MS re-assured me that I could convert cash to points (no mention of this being based on availability)...our family reunion is approaching the final stages and we were converting cash to points and cash this month.
Well, if it doesn't work out, we will be back on RCCL's Oasis of the Seas (just returned last Saturday).
I just think it is ashame the lack of DVC's communication to their customers...they think we are such 'mouse fanatics' that we don't mind being taken for granted.
I am a retiree from one of the automotive manufacturers....hmmm, they also took their customers for granted:snooty:...DVC take a lesson in their mistakes.:charac2:

When I emailed MS - my main complaint was the lack of communication and still no "heads up" on the member website.

I was also contacted by a male CM (I guess I won't post his name) on Sunday. I told him my only complaint was that I had also just called MS right before the 20th and was told I can book with cash and convert to points right before DCL required their full payment (at this time I might know where my dad and sister stand health wise). MS could have said, don't sit on it, decide now, it's filling up fast - anything. I was not looking for a definite answer. I also said that as soon as availability was gone overnight, something should have been posted on the website. There are many members who have done exactly what I wanted to do and probably still don't know what happened. Not everyone is on the disboard. At least they can make other plans.

Of course I was told that people have booked many months before - up to two years for cruises which I knew and availability is gone. I was told that anyone who booked their cruise with cash before August 20th (except for the Dream) that they can contact MS and ask to speak to a manager and they would do their best to work with them. He actually told me to call my friend (which I had mentioned to him had tried to switch her Alaska cruise in June from cash to points and was not able to do so after I warned her about what happened) and tell her to call MS. I have since done that and she was able to switch her cabins (two or three) on her Alaska cruise for June.

I was not trying to book the Dream at this time - we were considering booking with cash and then converting to points closer to the sailing date only because of health issues. I would have booked much earlier since I knew it was filling up fast (based on the DCL website) and it would be a popular cruise but my dad and my sister being really sick, I am not taking a chance. My brother is taking a chance - but only went on the waitlist.

Again, I was only complaining about the lack of communication and that we should not have to find everything out on message boards. I am sure, like everything else, lol, there will be some communication a month or two down the road.

I still think it's nice of them to make personal calls and not just sent out a reply with an email. I appreciate their effort. Had I been set on booking the Dream, I would have been more disappointed. Good luck to everyone.

With the recent changes in DVC, my wife and I are seriously pondering selling after 6 years. It was great in the beginning and we even recruited others to join DVC...but lately with the change to RCI and now the inability to book cruises basically thru 2011 has got us thinking.

With Interval, we had traded several times and got to go on some very nice vacations at "fair" trading value. With RCI, everything looks to be "peak" season points and/or unavailable - not to mention several of our favorite spots are no longer in the exchange.

With DCL, we planned on cruising next year (2011) - but that is now out of the picture. We try to alternate years with WDW and DCL vacations when we can. My understanding is that this "trade restriction" has always been there, but have they lowered the cap?

And why not offer DVC members some kind of perk to make up for the deals they are cutting with the general public? We are loyal fans that spend a lot of money with them and at their parks. If it comes down to money, that is their business decision - and if people sell their DVC, it will devalue the market further (since it looks rather saturated) and means that once loyal Disney Fans may be taking their money somewhere else for vacations.

Thoughts?:confused:

Obviously there haven't been times when all availability vanished, at least that I know of.
There was a situation in 2004 very similar to this one. At that time, there was zero points availability for cruises for a four-month period. I assume there was some cash availability during that period because I don't think any ship ever sails with every single cabin occupied.

With DCL, we planned on cruising next year (2011) - but that is now out of the picture.
You still may be able to cruise on points. Tim reported yesterday that DVC apparently has gotten some more 2011 inventory from DCL on the Magic and Wonder...but not on the Dream.
My understanding is that this "trade restriction" has always been there, but have they lowered the cap?
Who knows? However, it makes sense to me that either DVC, DCL or both would want to adjust points cruise availability somewhat from time to time for a better fit with their business plans.

In the current environment, I could see downward adjustments being advantageous for both companies -- DVC because of the soft tourism economy at WDW creating difficulty converting points to cash to pay DCL, and DCL because of the popularity of their new ship and new itineraries.

But, bottom line: none of us know what the inventory is or how it's set, and I doubt if either company would share than information.

I don't think they lowered the cap, I was told they did not and I believe that.

I do think as the membership gets larger and larger, which has certainly happened very quickly in the last couple of years, it was simply a case of "more" members trading out, than in previous years.

I also think that the appeal of the trades, be it cruises, or ABD, etc, has increased over going to DVC resorts.

I don't think they lowered the cap, I was told they did not and I believe that.

I do think as the membership gets larger and larger, which has certainly happened very quickly in the last couple of years, it was simply a case of "more" members trading out, than in previous years.

I also think that the appeal of the trades, be it cruises, or ABD, etc, has increased over going to DVC resorts.

And we can't forget the economy, because it will definitley play a factor. If members have not used points lately adn been banking points but don't want to use them, using those points for DCL can be cheaper then going to WDW. The cost of food/tickets etc can add up and make a cruise look very affordable, especially with a combination of cash and points. Members also will not be letting their points expire.

While I don't think this is the sole reason, I am sure it factors into some of the problems and will help burden the system a bit.

We have a cruise coming up next month that is booked with cash and points. The only reason I added this cruise in was because I could use the points. I hope this gets resolved, because if my October cruise/resort trip works out well I was planning on doing it again. That would probably be in Oct 2011, but that is too close for comfort.

I have another cruise booked for July 1, 2011, but that is on cash. It is on the Dream. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I hadn't plan on switching to points!

I have another cruise booked for July 1, 2011, but that is on cash. It is on the Dream. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I hadn't plan on switching to points![/QUOTE]

I have 3 cabins reserved on the Dream for June 7th 2011.I booked them back in March and planned on changing to points when the balance was due.Like everyone else I was upset with this new turn of events and called and emailed member services to no avail, until yesterday.:lovestruc
I got a call saying I could change my cash reservation to a points reservation.So maybe they are getting back to folks little by little.

We have a cruise coming up next month that is booked with cash and points. The only reason I added this cruise in was because I could use the points. I hope this gets resolved, because if my October cruise/resort trip works out well I was planning on doing it again.
I could be mistaken, but I don't think there has been any issue with cruises booked partly on points and partly on cash. The two areas of difficulty I've seen have rescheduling points cruises (Carol's issue) and initially booking for cash and wanting to convert to points later.
That would probably be in Oct 2011, but that is too close for comfort.
There have been reports here of limited availability from October 2011 through the end of 2011. That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, but if availability is limited, you should book as soon as your plans are firm.

I'm hoping that DVC gets smart in a hurry. The main reason we banked our points this year was to cruise next year - preferrably when the kids were off school (either the February or April break).

My wife is really pushing to sell though. I'm starting to look into "renting" our points, hoping that this buys enough time to convince me that DVC is either serious about customer satisfaction (ie. its members and what we've been accustomed to) or doesn't really care and will continue to erode its list of benefits - forcing me to agree with my wife.

I'm hoping that DVC gets smart in a hurry. The main reason we banked our points this year was to cruise next year - preferrably when the kids were off school (either the February or April break).

My wife is really pushing to sell though. I'm starting to look into "renting" our points, hoping that this buys enough time to convince me that DVC is either serious about customer satisfaction (ie. its members and what we've been accustomed to) or doesn't really care and will continue to erode its list of benefits - forcing me to agree with my wife.
I would call and tell them you want to convert to points and see what happens. ask for management/leadership team if you don't get the answer you want They were very nice and helpful.

it's only two in our cabin and I paid off both with points. We are traveling with friends who also want to use points. So she took their phone numbers and is going to call them today. I was very impressed with the turn around time and the way it was all handled.

From reading more recent posts, it seems maybe DCL and DVC realize they need to make some changes. I still suspect both DCL and DCL have plenty of fault in this situation. I hope everyone gets things worked out in their favor.

I sure hope you're talking about February or April 2012! This is pretty late to be booking for 2011, especially when you consider that DVC members can book cruises on points two years in advance. Cruises, like everything else DVC, have always been subject to availability.

I sure hope you're talking about February or April 2012! This is pretty late to be booking for 2011, especially when you consider that DVC members can book cruises on points two years in advance. Cruises, like everything else DVC, have always been subject to availability.

Actually until two weeks ago, this was not an issue. We only book special itineraries such as Med, Baltic, Alaska more than a year out. Otherwise we always book cruises within the same year (both with DCL and DVC). In fact, one of the statements often made by DVC is that it is beneficial if you tend to book later on points since the cost is a constant, whereas the cash prices are based on tiers and typically rise closer to cruise date.

We booked last May for an October 7 three day cruise and there was plenty of DVC availability. Yes, it is always subject to change, but until recently these issues had not been occurring.

But things have changed so we all must now adapt..

Guess what-I'm booked on points :yay::yay:!!! I wanted to thank everyone for all of the support and encouragement :worship:! The DVC managers and Leadership team were very helpful as well:goodvibes. Good luck to everyone else!

guess what-i'm booked on points :yay::yay:!!! I wanted to thank everyone for all of the support and encouragement :worship:! The dvc managers and leadership team were very helpful as well:goodvibes. Good luck to everyone else!
woo hoo!!!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
We've been planning on the February cruise for 2 months now but were waiting for the kids' school calendar to get published. Availability was not an issue when we looked online, but never took into account that the DVC numbers were capped. Now the school calendar is out, but there is no DVC availability during this time.

We've booked several DCL cruises within 6 months over the past years and never had a problem...so while I'm trying to stay positive, the vacation planning is getting the best of me - sorry for sounding negative, it's just frustration on my part not being able to book a vacation for my family.

:banana:

Guess what-I'm booked on points :yay::yay:!!! I wanted to thank everyone for all of the support and encouragement :worship:! The DVC managers and Leadership team were very helpful as well:goodvibes. Good luck to everyone else!

Yay!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:I am so happy for you!!

GUESS WHAT! I just got off the phone and we are booked on points too!!!!! I had this really nice man whose name starts with a C call me and he didn't even address my issues about the email and just said " I understand you have a Cash booking on the Dream in April and would like to use points". I held my breath after I said "yes that's correct!". He said well I would like to help you with that and went on to discuss me banking and borrowing my points to use them for the cruise. I will keep my same Cabin and everything! He said he would call me back in 20 minutes to go over cancelation policies after he gets the conversion done from DCL!

Thank you all for your encouragement (especially JimMIA!) Mineu I am so glad we both kept with it. Right now I feel a little Disney magic!

I am wishing so much for others who have points to get their conversion to points soon! :wizard::wizard::wizard:

I am so happy to hear all this good news today!! :cheer2::grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter