Major Policy Change in DVC/DCL Trade Policy UPDATE ON POST #193

CarolAnnC

<font color=blue>Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syrin
There is a huge change that took place today at DVC Member Services in regards to trading out points to book cruises with DCL.

I had called last Sunday attempting to change the date of an Alaskan Cruise that my family and I had booked using DVC points. We chose another date due to a work conflict, and selected available rooms to switch to. After 45 minutes on the telephone with MS, I was told there was an issue with the rooms "disappearing" from the computer inventory at DCL. I was looking at inventory at the Disney Cruiseline website and saw they were still showing there, but they could not make the change. It was the end of their work day and with having to discuss it further with my family, I ended the call.

I called back mid week and was given information on a selection of staterooms and categories that were available. Since I knew it would be time consuming and had already used more than half of my half hour lunch, I waited until this afternoon to make the call to do the actual switch.

Well, after discussion with a representative that seemed hard to believe, I then asked for the supervisor I dealt with last Sunday. Here is the bottom line: As of today, DCL has blocked DVC members from booking cruises on points through September 30, 2011. This includes rebooking existing cruises such as I have been working on doing.

So, I am left here with two staterooms booked on a cruise that I probably cannot take. I am on a "call list" to see if anything "opens up" later on. But, there is not much encouragement from MS as far as hoping this will happen for me. If I cancel the cruise, I will be left with many reservation points, that I will not be able to use on Disney Cruise Line. Ugh.

MS states they had no idea this was happening, that it just was announced today and immediately implemented. It is applicable to all Disney ships and for all sailings and itineraries.

This is one DVC policy change that will definitely impact me. I guess I may be joining those who rent out points, though that was not something I otherwise would have been interested in doing at this time. Going forward, I will definitely be rethinking how I use my DVC membership.

This is a strange turn of events. Doesn't DVC pay cash to DCL to book Reservations?

This will definitely be impacting those who also book their DCL cruises on cash initially, with plans to switch over to DVC points. Can't be done as of today...

MS states they had no idea this was happening, that it just was announced today and immediately implemented.

And probably not on the member website either is it, another wonderful example of how DVC does business now. :sad2:

:mad:This is redicoulous!!! :mad: As a DVc member I am really disappointed with this. How can we book through other vacation exchanges but not through Disney's own cruiseline? I wonder what the thought behind all of this is?

Carol, I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly.

Are you saying that there will be zero DVC points cruises from now until September 2011...except for those already booked?

This will definitely be impacting those who also book their DCL cruises on cash initially, with plans to switch over to DVC points. Can't be done as of today...

OMG OMG!!!! This is exactly my case!!! I booked a Med cruise for June '11 on cash and planning on switching it by Dec (have to wait for my Dec UY coz i need to borrow points). This is crazzzyyy!!! Is it even possible to make a rule and implement it right away, without giving a notice of change will occur? This is not fair!!!! Now i dont know what to tell my DH, since we are counting on using points for the cruise so we can save money since airfare to Barcelona will be expensive for 3 people....

Carol, I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly.

Are you saying that there will be zero DVC points cruises from now until September 2011...except for those already booked?

That is correct Jim. There will be no new bookings allowed (possibly past that September 2011 date as well) and no rebooking current cruises. The trading out to Disney Cruise Line has virtually been stopped going forward as of today.

And probably not on the member website either is it, another wonderful example of how DVC does business now. :sad2:

The CM stated he did not know if it was on the member website, so I immediately hopped on when I got off the phone, and nope there is nothing on there yet.

Terrible! We have a DCL cruise booked with points for next months and obviously this is safe. Whatever is the thinking behind this?

Wow. Has me wondering about all the people who purchased and/or added on and opted for the cruise incentive instead of the $ off :confused3

I'm really sorry for you CarolAnnC. I wouldn't give up the fight to have them make things right by you. Good Luck.

Wow! This is crazy! I'm sorry to the OP and PP who've been affected by this. We are cruising on points next month, so I'm thankful that our cruise is coming soon. I wonder if this is going to be a permanent change, or if this is just to keep members from booking the Dream cruises and the Fantasy when it comes out. It's just sad for all the members who bought into DVC to be able to use the points to cruise with. I really hope DVC rethinks this.

Terrible! We have a DCL cruise booked with points for next months and obviously this is safe. Whatever is the thinking behind this?

We have one booked next month also. MS had no explanation at all to offer. Just that they were only given the information today, the day this was implemented.

Given that every DVC presentation I attend touts the fact that DCL is the number one trade out for DVC members, I cannot fathom why they have taken this action. With the new ships coming out soon, this just makes no sense to me at all.

Perhaps they will rethink this down the road. In the meantime, it will greatly impact myself and many others. Also, it will put a huge number of points for rent out there now, with more competition for everyone seeking to do so.

Unless they change that too....geez what next!?!

Is it even possible to make a rule and implement it right away, without giving a notice of change will occur?
You'd think not, but unfortunately the answer is YES.

The recent elmination of free valet parking happened just like this. People parked their cars at night and woke up to learn they owed $10 per night for parking!

There are a couple of issues with things involving third parties like DCL and the valet parking companies.

One is that DVC really is not in control of things. They are negotiating with another company and negotiations are not always successful and the other company just cuts them off.

The other issue is that DVC seems to be incredibly inept at managing this kind of situation. Even if negotiations break down, there should not be the kind of uprooting of people's plans like this.

Whatever the underlying background, DVC is certainly not handling things like this in an acceptable way.

Next years member cruise is within this time frame.

This is a terrible thing for all who are impacted. I truly hope it is a misunderstanding of some sort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter