Major Drop in Quality of Disney CM's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Money82

Mouseketeer
Sad to report that I noticed a significant attitude amongst the Disney CM's on my recent trip. I don't want to come down too hard on them because they don't make a ton of money but man, the magic is gone folks. They seem more intent on bossing people around and barking orders than trying to make one's trip truly magical.

My hotel stay didn't start off well. I had called several times before the trip to ensure that our room was 2 queens and a day bed like we get every year and we were told, "Yes sir of course" each time. Then we get there and they say, "Oh sorry sir, we're all out of those rooms" (this was at 11am). And then I say okay fine, I'll going to need a cot then. And they try to charge me for it, hahaha, I just about lost it 1 hour into the trip. Luckily cooler heads prevailed and I restrained myself, got the cot for free. However, end of the trip at checkout, they did mysteriously try to charge me $120 for the cot which I had to argue about and finally get the charge dismissed.

A lot of my dining experiences were pretty delicious but then I experienced some awful service at Le Celier. I ordered a soup, waitress forgot it. I ran out of coke, it took the waitress 10 minutes to even stop by the table again so I ask for a refill. My mom wanted mashed potatoes with her steak instead of the risotto, waitress said nope but that my mom could buy a side. Then the kicker was I was halfway through my steak and the waitress came by and asked me "if I wanted to box up the rest and if I was ready for dessert."

I noticed a lot of really bad, bad attitudes by the ride attendants. Almost as if they were working at Six Flags not realizing they were actually employed by Disney World. Has anyone else noticed that there now seems to be a Disney CM anywhere and everywhere bossing people around? Even the most basic attractions. Pretty soon they're going to have CM's telling you how fast you can walk in the park.

Now I know that some are going to tell me that they had some truly awesome interactions with the Disney folks and I had a couple good ones too, but OVERALL (that means on average), they have significantly dropped.

Sad to report that I noticed a significant attitude amongst the Disney CM's on my recent trip. I don't want to come down too hard on them because they don't make a ton of money but man, the magic is gone folks. They seem more intent on bossing people around and barking orders than trying to make one's trip truly magical. My hotel stay didn't start off well. I had called several times before the trip to ensure that our room was 2 queens and a day bed like we get every year and we were told, "Yes sir of course" each time. Then we get there and they say, "Oh sorry sir, we're all out of those rooms" (this was at 11am). And then I say okay fine, I'll going to need a cot then. And they try to charge me for it, hahaha, I just about lost it 1 hour into the trip. Luckily cooler heads prevailed and I restrained myself, got the cot for free. However, end of the trip at checkout, they did mysteriously try to charge me $120 for the cot which I had to argue about and finally get the charge dismissed. A lot of my dining experiences were pretty delicious but then I experienced some awful service at Le Celier. I ordered a soup, waitress forgot it. I ran out of coke, it took the waitress 10 minutes to even stop by the table again so I ask for a refill. My mom wanted mashed potatoes with her steak instead of the risotto, waitress said nope but that my mom could buy a side. Then the kicker was I was halfway through my steak and the waitress came by and asked me "if I wanted to box up the rest and if I was ready for dessert." I noticed a lot of really bad, bad attitudes by the ride attendants. Almost as if they were working at Six Flags not realizing they were actually employed by Disney World. Has anyone else noticed that there now seems to be a Disney CM anywhere and everywhere bossing people around? Even the most basic attractions. Pretty soon they're going to have CM's telling you how fast you can walk in the park. Now I know that some are going to tell me that they had some truly awesome interactions with the Disney folks and I had a couple good ones too, but OVERALL (that means on average), they have significantly dropped.

I am sorry that you had less than stellar experiences on your trip. I always wonder if the cost of a Disney trip factors in on our expectations. I must admit that my last trip was wonderful, as was almost every one we have taken, but we had a trip that just left us with buyers remorse a few years ago.

We stayed at the Beach Club, and had built up the resort and this trip so much that I doubt anything would have lived up to our expectations. Add in the fact that 1/2 our group got sick, it was cold, and the crowds! Anyway, when we came home we focused on the things that were not perfect. I wish we hadn't but we did.

I am sure that last month there were things that could have been improved, but this time we focused on all the things we enjoyed. The CM's, the food, the CM's. The wonder.

The room and cot issue I can see being upset about. As far as le cellier many times substitutes can't/won't be be made. To be upset because a waitress asked if you would like a box for .5 a steak is really a non issue...just say 'no thanks, I'm not finished yet' pretty much end of story.

I don't think you OP are required to lower your expectations prior to going on your WDW vacation. I have read multiple recent posts where people have had the same experience as you. On my last trip in April, I noticed that CM's really didn't care about the guest experience and I did notice being herded by CM's who were yelling at guests. It was not a fun experience.

Also, recently on a Dis Unplugged Podcast, Pete Werner made the remark that the Universal TM's are what the WDW CM's used to be like. The Universal TM's went out of their way to be courteous helpful. I don't know the episode, but it's the one where he's reviewing the Christmas party.

I think CM's are under a huge amount of stress, regardless of their wages. First of all there's FP+. Personally, with every software upgrade my company implements I can feel my blood pressure rising. So, I can just imagine how much fun the CM's are having with the MDE implementation and then dealing with a lot of clueless guests.

But the biggest factor I see is the huge crowds. Most businesses are able to ramp up for busy times and then regroup during slower times. WDW has done such a fabulous job of advertising and creating special events so there are no slow times. When I try putting myself in the position of a cast member who is dealing with that amount of people on a daily basis, I cringe. I know I couldn't do it!

I've seen a lot of posters who say they have experienced this overall decline throughout our society, but I haven't. I receive great customer service at my local Walmart, Costco, and Fry's grocery store. I don't think crap service is the norm. I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of support the CM's receive from their managers.

I think because Disney has focused so much attention on quality service in the past that people notice it when it slips a bit. Others have commented how the service is now similar to Walmart or Burger King. I also think people expect a high level of service because of the prices you pay to enter the park, lets face it, it costs a lot to take a family there so you expect great service. I compare it to when you go to McDonalds, you don't expect much. You pretty much expect to get grunted at and you food shoved at you. But, when you go to a 5 star restaurant, you expect excellent service and high level of attention. Some will argue that Disney pays their workers poorly so how on earth can you, as a customer, expect good service? Well I feel that is no excuse. It is not up to me to determine their pay scale.

When we were there, I did not notice anything too terrible, just a general decline. Like CM's complaining to each other, acting irritated when guests would ask questions, small groups of cm's gossiping etc. Just stuff you don't expect to see at Disney. You expect it when you are at a store in your local mall or Wendy's, but not Disney.

I just returned from our trip and I totally agree about the CMs. My 13 year old kept saying they are all so mean! Lots of yelling and hearding. I was really irratated to keep hearing "fill in all thespace. You shouldn't see the floor. Go around those in front of you who won't move". So rude! I understand not leaving gaps in the line and I understand frustration when the group in front of you doesn't move but the CMs are borderline obnoxious. I was shocked how the CMs just ignored you. CMs used to always smile, wave say hello. Now the majority of them just ignore and look miserable. Saw many talking to each other or looking at their phones. Had a clerk tell me (after I asked how he was) he was happy because he was going home in 5 minutes. We saw a trolley driver walking down Main Street with his hat on backwards carrying a water bottle and towel. Just really surprising behavior.
We did encounter a few CMs who were great. The man at the booth at WL when we checked in. He scanned my band and said " you've got magic" and welcomed us. The 2 different peter pan CMs who "sprinkled us with pixie dust" when closing the safety bar and the sweet fast pass kiosk girl in the studios who took the time to speak with us. WL workers were all fabulous and Alba at Via Napoli and Paula at Be Our Guest were great servers with nice personalities.
Its a shame the decline in attitudes. For those who aren't familiar with the original attitude of Disney workers, this new way isn't a big deal I'm sure. But for those of us that have experienced the magic, its really disappointing.
I admit the workers are dealing with tremendous crowds and the craziness of FP but I think they aren't being trained properly.
We will be taking a break from Disney. The value and experience just isnt there for us anymore. Disney is now only concerned with the almighty dollar - yes its a business and they want to make money, but greed has taken over. Frozen has taken over, $10.99 for chicken nuggets and fries and $9 for a plastic poncho that ripped in first hour (yes I exchanged it) its too much. I'm happy I have Disney memories but its time for new experiences.

As far as le cellier many times substitutes can't/won't be be made. To be upset because a waitress asked if you would like a box for .5 a steak is really a non issue...just say 'no thanks, I'm not finished yet' pretty much end of story.

Both of those examples negate any claims Disney might make that le Cellier is any kind of "signature dining experience."

Others have commented how the service is now similar to Walmart or Burger King.
Except at Burger King, you can get substitutions on your meal...

Both of those examples negate any claims Disney might make that le Cellier is any kind of "signature dining experience."

Except at Burger King, you can get substitutions on your meal...
It is a signature today only because of mass hysteria several years back that fed upon itself and became self-fulfilling, thereby making it a signature in Disney's eyes, and bottom line. No where near being a true signature.

I've only had one borderline rude experience with a CM. We were getting onto Buzz and one of the cars had a cover on the guns, I guess the guns weren't working. My little daughter still jumped into that car because she didn't know. The CM said, "Next one that one's broken" which was fine. So she jumps out and we jump in the next one. Then, totally unnecessarily, he says in a real snotty voice "There's a reason there is a cover on it." I said right back to him, "Why did you have to do say that? So unnecessary" and he wouldn't look at me. What a jerk. Then I had to reassure my daughter that she didn't get yelled at. That should never happen at Disney.

Also at Buzz, there were two CMs at the entrance and all of a sudden there was a surge of crowds coming into Tomorrowland. They say to each other, with me standing right there, "Oh I hope those people aren't coming here!" Now, nothing bad, certainly totally normal to think that, but not good to say out loud with customers everywhere. On the topic of side talk, I noticed a lot of side talk going on among the CMs on our last trip. It just looks bad, it reminds me the kind of service you get at a fast food place.

The attractions CMs are basically no better than the workers at other theme/amusement parks at this point. In fact, I think they might be worse, with all of the constant yelling. I will say, other than the two experiences above, it's not that they are outwardly rude. But they definitely have slipped into just performing the motions, just like anywhere else.

Other than the jerk CM on Buzz, I don't blame the individuals. I'm sure that they are overworked and underpaid. I did many of those types of jobs myself and I know that it is easier to just turn yourself into a robot than to try to interact with the public. But I think it's very obvious that something has changed for the worse with training and management, and perhaps staffing levels.

I thought the CM's who were rude are the managers at the gate when the tickets do not work. The rest seemed to be friendly as always.

I agree, we had a trip two weeks ago and noticed a decline. We even had snippy/borderline rude princesses at Akershus...which really stinks!

And I think people would not be upset with this kind of service/attitude if we weren't paying so much money to enter the park.

Don't blame the CM's, blame Disney. Greed makes companies do a lot of less than magical stuff.

To the OP, the resort policy is to put people in rooms. If someone else was checking in and wanted your room category, they would get it even if you called 100 times to confirm.

At Le Celier the CM probably got in trouble because you took too long to eat. They are expected to turn tables over in a specified time.

In the parks, CM are suppose to move people along, ordering the heard moves it faster.

Disney is now all about filling the parks, moving the guests, and increasing the profit. Their 1.5 billion investment in MDE and MB's is to increase profit, not to improve the guest experience.

:earsboy: Bill

Disney is now all about filling the parks, moving the guests, and increasing the profit. Their 1.5 billion investment in MDE and MB's is to increase profit, not to improve the guest experience.

That's it in a nutshell.

I have an AP and I go a few times a week. All the CMs I deal with are wonderful.

I think the biggest problem they have is there are so many foreigners who don't speak English. A CM will make an announcement and many people don't understand and don't follow instructions so the CM repeats and still gets no response so then they have to raise their voices and get a bit aggressive. But I have found if I am nice to them and follow their suggestions then they are nice to me. I am wondering about the attitude of the complainers. Are they trying to say they are being nice and following the rules and the CM is being nasty to them? If so the CM should be reports, not whined about on a forum.

And I think people would not be upset with this kind of service/attitude if we weren't paying so much money to enter the park.

I agree. I don't care about the service at a local fast food place or the grocery store as long as I get what I need done and no one is rude. When people spend a lot of money to go to Disney (including tickets, hotels, airfares, etc), they expect more than that.

Don't blame the CM's, blame Disney. Greed makes companies do a lot of less than magical stuff.

To the OP, the resort policy is to put people in rooms. If someone else was checking in and wanted your room category, they would get it even if you called 100 times to confirm.

At Le Celier the CM probably got in trouble because you took too long to eat. They are expected to turn tables over in a specified time.

In the parks, CM are suppose to move people along, ordering the heard moves it faster.

:earsboy: Bill

I agree with this too. I fully blame the company. Customer service is a science and an art, and Disney used to be a leader. When so many people are noticing a decline resort-wide, something is up at the management level.

Also, I can only imagine the complaints the CM's are getting on a daily basis regarding FP+, etc., that have changed the parks so much.... I know where I used to work, it was sure hard having that happy disposition when every second person in line was complaining about something.

Happy to report, in all our visits, including the one last October we never had a issue with CM's. The few problems we saw, I would pin it on guests with a entitlement attitude. One Gal we saw, asked a CMs a question, when the Cm (shaking her head and obviously saying whatever the guest asked was not possible), both the gal and a older lady was right in her face yelling.

No problems with the CMs or the quality of CMs, but many problems on the last few trips with allegedly *ADULT* guests!

AKK

I haven't had a lot of experiences with bad CMs. Most have been okay. Some much more friendly than others.

I do wish that Disney would hire more custodial staff. I hardly see them anymore. The bathrooms need to be cleaned. I have never seen so many filthy bathrooms.

On our August trip I was amazed at the quality of CM relations, particularly at BLT and SDMT. Our hotel CMs were amazing. They accommodated us in many ways over our week there, always with a smile and a resolution that made us more than satisfied. At SDMT it was astonishing how many people were trying to lie about having FPs despite the fact they clearly did not and the CMs having their full FP itinerary right in front of them. I don't know how these CMs restrained themselves from losing it on these entitled jerks, but the ones I saw managed to kill them with kindness instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter