Magical Express was AWFUL!

'Bad Service' is 'Bad Service' wether it's 'Free' or not!!!

A lot of this comes down to what expectations were set and how those expectations were arrived at. For folks who have gotten the materials from Disney: What guarantees and other promises does Disney make in terms of how timely and accurate this service will be?

bicker said:
A lot of this comes down to what expectations were set and how those expectations were arrived at. For folks who have gotten the materials from Disney: What guarantees and other promises does Disney make in terms of how timely and accurate this service will be?

I was thinking the same thing myself when considering ME or a Towncar for our October trip. Since I am the solo adult with two kids ME could be a great thing - but the experiences so far have been less than what I have read was promised.

Here is one "blurb" - right from the disney website:

"Disney's Magical Express
Enjoy this complimentary ground transportation and go directly from airport to check-in at your Disney Resort where you¿ll find your luggage waiting in your room. Service begins May 5, 2005."

I think I can grab the link so you can verify:

I think they are creating expectations they can not (or not yet) meet! Luggage waiting in your room is a far cry from 5 hours + and I have read worse than the OP's story.

It will be hard to give up that towncar ride and grocery stop - Disney will have to make it work to hooke me. As it is I think we may save enough in breakfast, occasional sandwiches, snacks and soda/water to make up for towncar price.

TJ

We never received our luggage tags, were told to proceed to a Disney rep with our baggage claim tickets. Everything went well at first, we got on the bus right away, and were dropped off at our hotel on the first stop. Our flight landed at 11:45 a.m., though, and we received half of our luggage at 7:15 p.m., and the rest around 8 p.m. We made the mistake of packing our swimwear into the luggage, so no swimming until night time. Each time we called about our luggage, they kept telling us it might be on the next truck, and they come in every half hour. We just wish we would've claimed our own luggage and put it on the bus with us. 7.5-8 hour wait for luggage is too long!

I agree 5 hours is a long time to wait. Of course for me it is not unusual with baggage service since on a cruise it can sometimes not come till 5 hours or more which 5 hour wait is normal. I do hope they fix the problem for our trip by mid-June. I will just make sure I have my family's carry on pack like I do when we go on a cruise.

Mary

bicker said:

The original press release and marketing material were properly silent as to the exact timing of your luggage delivery. Guests checking in early have no assurance their room will even be ready before the normal check in time.

Some of the more recent emails and Regis description of ME imply your luggage may actually beat you to your room. I certainly interpret this statement as hyperbole but guests who take it literally are being set up for disappointment. Disney won't delivery your luggage until you check in, even pre-blocked rooms are subject to change at check in. It would be difficult for the bellhop to get to your room first.

roxannex said:
I hope they do work out the kinks. Seems like I offended people by being honest. I just didn't want other people to have to go through it.
roxannex,

I don't think you offended anyone.

I agree that Disney is setting an expectation that ME guests won't have to wait for their luggage -- when, during the startup at least, the reality is that ME guests' luggage tends to be arriving in their rooms many hours later. That's why I started by post with: "This is where Disney's hype that your luggage will 'magically appear' in your room upon check-in sends the wrong message."

We've had our luggage delayed by airlines on several occasions (though never in Orlando). We now pack a few basics in a carry-on, so that we can go 24 hours without luggage if we have to. I think that's worth doing regardless of whether you're using ME, a towncar, or a rental car.

I hope I didn't come across as being critical of you because you didn't pack Florida clothes in a carry-on.

I think the best way to regard ME's luggage delivery - despite what Disney might say - is the same way one regards luggage delivery on a cruise ship. They take your luggage, you take a carryon and at some point your luggage is delivered to your room. Anything that's important for you to have within the first few hours, be sure to pack in your carryon.

One should ALWAYS travel with a carryon, even a small one. Airlines lose luggage all the time, and there's no guarantee at all that your luggage is going to make it. Your carryon should have any good jewelry, any electronic/expensive items like cameras, any medications you're taking that you can't be without for a few days, and a change of clothes (even just socks/underwear/shirt). That way if the airline loses your luggage or your luggage is delayed, you're covered.

I second the notion -- bring what you need in a carry-on.

Only thing I rate as awful in this thread so far:

cdrn1 said:
'There were already people there when we boarded and we went to the Poly. There were some people there who did not get to board as there was no room but busses were running every half hour so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a problem.
That is a big problem. Guests are supposed to be assigned to buses since airport return is timed to flights.

Otherwise guests should be able to count on Disney comped airport trans from another of Mears' services, called Yellow Cab.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/magicx.htm

Typed from Disney Quest

You didn't offend me either. DISNEY IS AT FAULT for not suggesting people bring enough items in their carryon for a few hours. Guests arriving in the morning might not even see their luggage until they get a room in the late afternoon.

The problem isn't that your luggage was late so much as you weren't prepared for it.

roxannex said:
I hope they do work out the kinks. Seems like I offended people by being honest. I just didn't want other people to have to go through it. When you count on that half a day to be able to go to the parks, and instead you just have to stay in the hotel...it sucks.

Amberle3 said:
One should ALWAYS travel with a carryon, even a small one. Airlines lose luggage all the time, and there's no guarantee at all that your luggage is going to make it. Your carryon should have any good jewelry, any electronic/expensive items like cameras, any medications you're taking that you can't be without for a few days, and a change of clothes (even just socks/underwear/shirt). That way if the airline loses your luggage or your luggage is delayed, you're covered.
-----------

That's exactly the point I was trying to make.. Regardless if I was using ME, Mears Shuttle, a taxi, a rental car or whatever, if I'm coming in by air you can bet I'm going to have the appropriately packed carry-on with me.. I'm far more concerned with the airlines losing my luggage than I am with it arriving late to my room..

Blame my mother.. She always told me that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"..... LOL :teeth:

I do think that Disney is getting the message that guest are ticked about their claims as I called DME today and got a very long spiel. The CM went over everything point by point about what to do when we arrive, where to go, who to look for, what they will be doing, etc. They also stressed to bring a carryone bag with change of clothes, swimsuit, etc as it may be a while before bags arrive. Then she walked me throught the whole process of our return ride and all of those details. Truthfully, I really wasn't paying too much attention to every detail (and she gave me every detail) because I already knew how the process would work.

Oh, BTW I called because we got our packet today FedEx (we leave on the 25th) and it only had tags for my youngest daughter and myself. Only one return voucher for my daughter. But the CM said that those booklets are for 4 passengers at a time and since there are 5 of us the rest are probably in another package. Hey, but they had our flight info correct.

Just curious to know if I can do the ME service but still grab my own bags from baggage pickup and have them put it on the bus. We are leaving on 5/21 and still have no tags. I called and they said they were fedexing 100's of tags out daily and that I might get them or I might not. I don't mind waiting some time for our bags but anything between 4 - 7.5 hours is a long time. Yes, we can pack some things in a carryon, but when traveling with small kids to begin with you already start off with a large carryon excluding swimsuits, sunscreen, etc that you'd rather pack in a suitcase. If anyone has tried the ME service and bringing your bags with you, we may just do that instead. Thanks.

nickandalexmom said:
Just curious to know if I can do the ME service but still grab my own bags from baggage pickup and have them put it on the bus. We are leaving on 5/21 and still have no tags. I called and they said they were fedexing 100's of tags out daily and that I might get them or I might not. I don't mind waiting some time for our bags but anything between 4 - 7.5 hours is a long time. Yes, we can pack some things in a carryon, but when traveling with small kids to begin with you already start off with a large carryon excluding swimsuits, sunscreen, etc that you'd rather pack in a suitcase. If anyone has tried the ME service and bringing your bags with you, we may just do that instead. Thanks.

Yes you can! Just go to claims first.(don't put DME tags on if this is what you want to do). Many are doing just that.

The Mears driver will load your bags under the coach.

Thanks localdriver. I think that's what we'll do. Like I said I don't mind waiting a few hours, but I'm a little nervous about waiting 5+ with the kids in tow. I'll post about it when we get back. Good luck to everyone else too!

I have to admit, I was not happy when I used ME last week. I knew it was going to be rough the first few days and I used it on day 3. But 4 phone calls over the last 2 weeks before my trip and constant reassurances that my luggage tags had indeed been Fed Ex'd to me (which I STILL have not received, 3 weeks after they were supposedly sent!) and I was not looking forward to arriving in Orlando. I chose to check my bag at the gate and then turned the baggage claim over to ME upon arrival at MCO. I waited in line a good 1/2 hour before finally receiving my bus voucher. Then I was mis-directed twice to the bus line. Now, I realize I arrived at "rush hour", 10:45AM on a Saturday morning and there was a cruise leaving at the same time, but signage was poor, verbal directions were inaccurate and then the wait in line for the bus to the resort (AFTER receiving my bus voucher)as over an hour! Yes, my bag turned up in my room later that afternoon. Very nice to be able to check in, pocket my room key and head straight to the parks. And very nice to check my bag at guest services at checkout and then not worry about it again until I arrived home. NOT fun to be forced to arrive at the airport more than 2 hours before my flight when I already have my boarding pass and luggage is already checked. In a word, ME is adequate for transportation. Baggage handling/checking was GREAT!! But, I'm still going back to TTC.

When we arrived on Sunday (via Tiffany's Town car) there was a family who had gotten in on Thursday and still had not gotten their luggage. There was also a German lady who had her luggage delivered to the wrong hotel, she was very vocal (all in German) to the poor bell service guy. When our limmo driver picked us up on Friday he told us they had been bumbarded with people calling for return trips only. He also told us that alot of bus drivers and bellmen were quitting because of the changes that were made. When your luggage arrives before you do, it can't tip the poor guy that lugs it into the room. Most of those guys count on tips for a living. We were told that a Disney Express bus driver waited at the airport for his bus to fill (2 hours) then took everyone on board to downtown Orlando, then got off the bus got into his car and drove away leaving them stranded.
After we checked out we were waiting to hit one more park when the "Magic Express" pulled up, a family with a grandma and a small child in a wheel chair was told they were not equiped to load them. They left them there! Old Key West arranged for them to get the airport. There was ALOT of complaining and ALOT of unhappy people while we were there this past week, I hope Disney works out the kinks quickly! It puts a damper on everyone's vacation when you witness all kinds of swear words in German!

OzFan said:
There was also a German lady who had her luggage delivered to the wrong hotel, she was very vocal (all in German) to the poor bell service guy. It puts a damper on everyone's vacation when you witness all kinds of swear words in German!

Just want to clarify that it wasn't me!!! :goodvibes But I could understand being upset - 5 hours, 7 hours, 2 days, all too long.

I have been reading the threads on the ME experience and I've come up with some observations. (Donning flame proof suit)

1. Why are some people expecting perfection right out of the starting gate when it comes to ME? This is a major undertaking by Disney and has to be complicated, Think about it. It's going to take many months to work out all of the kinks and bugs out of the system. If people would read up on the history of Disneyland they will find that the opening day in July 17th 1955 was considered a disaster. Critics said it would never work but Walt and company worked out all of the kinks and look who's going to have a 50th birthday party comming up! Remember everyone is newbie at one time in their life and there is a first time for everything.

2. Why is everyone saying that the service is free? Nothing is truly free in life and Disney built the cost into the package you buy. They may advertise it's free but you're paying for it some how. The Walt Disney Company didn't get to be the giant it is by giving a way things for free. Keep this in mind when comparing the cost of a town car or limo. I might use ME on my next trip but I do love a private town car to pick me up and take my family directly to the resort we're staying at. You have to weigh all of the factors for your next trip.

3. On my recent trip I used curbside check in at ORD for the first time and it was great. I was amazed at how quick it was and I will be sure to use it again. I flew American Airlines and I liked how hastle free it was. I don't know if I'm comfortable leaving my luggage at a drop off point and not seeing it til it gets to my hotel hours later. I also use a carry on bag with one change of clothes for my family incase my luggage gets lost. You can buy t shirts at a Disney resort and in the parks but it's harder to buy pants and under garments when you don't have a car to drive to a mall near by. I always thought everone used a carry on for a emergency change of clothes. I know a lot of people who have had their luggage lost when flying and this has saved them.

4. Last point. Why are some people getting upset over the bad reviews? It's not like we own the company or the original OP is insulting our familes or something. I'm sure Disney is working on this as we speak and will fix somethings but I don't think it will ever be a 100% perfect, it just too big to have everything go smooth. This is a huge undertaking and problems are bound to happen. I just can't see myself giving up curbside check in and a private and direct limo ride to my resort I'm staying at. FL Tours took good care of me and I was impressed how nice the driver and car was. Food for thought and I look forward to your replies. :)

C.Ann said:
Am I the only one who follows the unwritten "rule" of packing a change of clothes in my carry-on in case my luggage is lost by the airline?? :confused3
I thought everyone who traveled did that..

If they did, there would be no need to stress about what time their luggage arrived at the hotel..

All in all - for a start-up situation - ME sounds pretty good to me.. :flower: If I were traveling alone, I would definitely use it, but if we go down in Nov/Dec. my son-in-law will want to rent a car so we can do Universal and Sea World as well as WDW..

I've been wondering the same exact thing. I always pack so I can have a change of clothes (plus pj's) in case the airline should lose my luggage. All it takes is that one time to put a major inconvenience into your vacation.

I'll be testing out ME at the beginning of June. If it works, I'll use it again, if not, then back to the old rental cars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter