• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magical Express was AWFUL!

roxannex

Maleficenterrific
I've always been a lurker here before, but I had to post about Magical Express. My husband and I just got back from our trip yesterday. We arrived on the 9th. We only had two bags, but we used ME because supposedly it was supposed to be faster and easier. We could have kicked ourselves later, because it would have been so much easier to get our own bags.

The bus ride to the resort was fine. But our plane arrived at 2:20 PM and we still didn't have our luggage by 7:00 PM when we complained our butts off! We wanted to go to the parks, but since we were coming from a colder weather climate, it was too hot to go in jeans and long sleeves. We kept complaining to different people and totally got the brush off, until finally we tried to lodge a complaint with the front desk and the manager allowed us to go to the gift shop and buy short sleeve t-shirts and shorts on Disney. That was nice, but it was shame that we had to complain for over two hours and be shuffled around and around first.

Last, the ME ride back to the airport took over an hour by the time we stopped at all of the different resorts to pick up people (we took our luggage with us on the way back since they wanted us to leave it outside an hour before our scheduled departure (6:00AM)). That was okay for us, but if we'd had kids it probably would have been annoying.

I understand the service was new, but someone should have told us that they were having problems. We happily would have taken our own luggage. All in all...NOT a very magical experience.

BTW...the problems we had were at the Beach Club. We eventually realized through wandering around that the Yacht Club was much quieter and the staff was nicer. We switched, and we had a lovely time at the Yacht Club. It seems much more geared to people who would like a quieter experience.

Doesn't surprise me. I knew we'd get all these negative reviews in the beginning. I don't understand why anyone would be surprised.

It's brand new and it's free. It will take them time to work out all the problems and issues.

They bought you clothes so count yourself lucky.

I don't know what the time limit is, but I know somewhere it says it can take X amount of hours before you get your luggage. Now, I don't know all the details, but I'll try to say what I remember. This is because the luggage travels on a different shuttle than the one you take from the airport.

Well, actually if you think about her review it doesn't sound all that bad to me. She said the ride from MCO was fine. That her plane landed at 2:20 and they hadn't recived their luggage as of 7:00pm - about 4 1/2 hours after landing(not unreasonable to me) and admits they started complaining after 2 hours(unreasonable to me).

She complains that she had to put her luggage out 1 hour before departure. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

So all in all(unless her luggage was much later) it doesn't seem that bad. Getting better.

Band man: you may be ok with getting luggage 4-5 hours after you need it, but with a family, that would be our worst nightmare.
I've been reading the ME posts, and luggage handling certainly IS a consistent negative. Sounds to me like the transportation is alot like the dreaded MEARS--you have no preferential order to your pick up and drop off--it happens as it happens.
That's why we've settled on a nice stretch limo (Happy Limo) with prompt luggage handling (20 minutes last summer through Sanford) and pick up/drop off right at the door with no waiting. Honestly, the luggage delays will be a big detractor from using this service if they don't get if fixed fast.
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

roxannex said:
The bus ride to the resort was fine. But our plane arrived at 2:20 PM and we still didn't have our luggage by 7:00 PM when we complained our butts off! We wanted to go to the parks, but since we were coming from a colder weather climate, it was too hot to go in jeans and long sleeves.
This is where Disney's hype that your luggage will "magically appear" in your room upon check-in sends the wrong message.

During the startup of ME, it's often been taking way too long for luggage to arrive in the room. But even after the luggage tag problems and other computer problems are fixed, there will be times when the ME coach beats the luggage truck to the resort and/or bell services is busy and running behind.

If the OP had brought a few Florida-appropriate clothing items in a carry-on bag, the title of this thread coluld have been "Magical Express was FINE!" The OP and her husband would have changed, headed to a park, and found the luggage waiting in the room when they returned.

Lesson: Bring a carry-on with a swim suit, park attire, and anything else you're likely to need immediately upon check-in.

Am I the only one who follows the unwritten "rule" of packing a change of clothes in my carry-on in case my luggage is lost by the airline?? :confused3
I thought everyone who traveled did that..

If they did, there would be no need to stress about what time their luggage arrived at the hotel..

All in all - for a start-up situation - ME sounds pretty good to me.. :flower: If I were traveling alone, I would definitely use it, but if we go down in Nov/Dec. my son-in-law will want to rent a car so we can do Universal and Sea World as well as WDW..

dzneelvr said:
Sounds to me like the transportation is alot like the dreaded MEARS--you have no preferential order to your pick up and drop off--it happens as it happens.

EXACTLY!!! I knew I would not prefer to use this service because I want to pick up my own luggage just to make sure they all made it off the plane and because I just want to have them as soon as I check in. I don't like MEARS because they make you wait until they have a fully loaded bus before they leave the airport which at times can take over 1/2 an hour, and then they have to make all the stops. For a few $$$$ more we now have a car waiting for US and as soon as we get our luggage we are headed for the hotel.

DisneyFans4 said:
dzneelvr said:
Sounds to me like the transportation is alot like the dreaded MEARS--you have no preferential order to your pick up and drop off--it happens as it happens.

EXACTLY!!! I knew I would not prefer to use this service because I want to pick up my own luggage just to make sure they all made it off the plane and because I just want to have them as soon as I check in. I don't like MEARS because they make you wait until they have a fully loaded bus before they leave the airport which at times can take over 1/2 an hour, and then they have to make all the stops. For a few $$$$ more we now have a car waiting for US and as soon as we get our luggage we are headed for the hotel.
----------------------

I used the Mears Shuttle in April.. It was great! Didn't have to wait for a "full" bus either.. May have been a fluke, but I was perfectly satisfied - and very happy that I only had to pay $17 (only went one way) as opposed to the cost of a limo.. :flower:

We always go in August and everytime it was like that for us with Mears. I haven't used them since our trip in 2001. We are a family of 4 and they charge per person so for us the extra $$$$ spent on a limo service was well worth it.

We are just back from 5 days at WL and we had a pretty good experience with ME. We were among the group that did not get the luggage tags prior so I was pretty worried. When we got off the tram there were several CM's that pointed us in the direction of the welcome center. There, they copied our baggage claim numbers and got a description of our bags (they had a laminated board with different kinds of suitcases) and then gave us our vouchers for the bus. We were on the bus and headed for WL within 10 minutes. The trip was pretty quick. We got to the room around 1:15 and didn't get our luggage until 7:30 but I expected that since the service is so new. We had packed a change of clothing and our swimming gear so it wasn't a big problem. The only worry was that DGD's food and diapers were in a checked bag and we were down to our last diaper when the bags finally arrived (but of course no big deal because we could get diapers in the Mercantile). Our departure time yesterday was at 7:05 pm so we took the 4:05 ME bus. There were already people there when we boarded and we went to the Poly. There were some people there who did not get to board as there was no room but busses were running every half hour so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a problem. We were dropped off in terminal A and arrived at the gate about 45 minutes before boarding, which I did not think was excessive. Security screening was very fast; if it had been crowded, the extra time would have been needed. Overall, I thought it was a great service and I'm sure baggage handling will improve with practice. I definitely will use it again.

dzneelvr said:
That's why we've settled on a nice stretch limo (Happy Limo) with prompt luggage handling (20 minutes last summer through Sanford) and pick up/drop off right at the door with no waiting.

I never expected this service to be as convenient as a limo. It is mass transportation. I know that evidently Disney made claims that in some circumstances your luggage might actually beat you to your resort. Not a smart statement on their behalf. How you are going to walk out of the airport and get on a bus and your luggage be loaded and driven and unloaded at your resort before you get there I never understood or believed.

Bottom line, it's free, I do not have to deal with my luggage in the airport, the wait times are decreasing. A bus of 45 people is Not going to provide limo level service. Not intended to.

Your carryon luggage should include expensive items like cameras, things you can't be without like medicines and clothing you might need immediately after you arrive like bathing suits and shorts.

Occasionally airlines lose luggage. ME can always delay delivering your luggage. Your room might not be be ready when you check in and it's easier not having to go through all your bags to get what you need.

Disney really should re-word ME. Instead of saying your luggage may beat you to your room they should say something while you're enjoying your first day at WDW we'll be magically delivering your luggage to your room.

I just got back from the World too. I thought about using ME to check it out ...and it was FREE FREE FREE, but then control freak that I am, I just adore having the freedom of a car. Besides, I was staying at the Wyndham and doing Universal on the weekend, so going back to the airport to ride the ME would have been rather redundant .

I heard lots of complaints while I was there from people who had bad experiences. A disboarder I met there had had so much trouble that Disney comped her a town car each way...What I'm saying is that Disney is sure being accountable for when things go wrong with this very new service....Being Disney I am sure that they will get it right eventually.

Yep, not sure why OP didn't take a carryon with 'Disney clothes and swimsuits'. All veteran travelers do, and I bet OP does it next time. I forgot to pack a bathing suit in my carryon only once...and wouldn't you know THAT trip was the only time the airlines ever lost my luggage. And it was a weekend trip too...so not having a bathing suit in Puerta Vallarta for half the trip really stung!!!!!

Most of the Dis-vets also know that chances are really good that you aren't going to get into your room until after 4, so to plan accordingly.

This trip FOR ME ...Disney was magical but my family sucked! :rotfl: Hoping soon I can have both worlds. Glad that OP had a good time otherwise.
For me: I doubt I will ever want to give up my car. I really zipped around in my car this trip and in 1 1/2 days of park hopping (trip was 5 nights, BWV for 3 of those nights, but only 1 1/2 days for the parks) got to see everything I wanted to , and then some , in all 4 parks. Couldn't have done that without some carhopping.

Take care OP and glad you had fun at the Yacht Club and the parks...wasn't the 'no lines' great?????

C.Ann said:
Am I the only one who follows the unwritten "rule" of packing a change of clothes in my carry-on

It is no longer unwrtten Ann. The DME peolple have been telling people for at least 2 weeks now to be sure to have at least a change of clothes in their carryon as well as anything else that they would need immediately as the baggage transfers were taking up to 5 hours early on in this service.

Just to clarify...

We would have had no problem waiting if we knew it was going to take a long time. We just wished that someone would have told us. It would have been really easy when we checked in just to say...hey...the service is being slow right now so if you would like to take your own luggage that's an option.

5 hours later for luggage is just unacceptable TO ME. Maybe it wouldn't be for others, but the information makes it seem like your luggage is going to come soon after you. The luggage might actually have come later than that...we finally did go to the parks...and they were finally there when we got back around 10PM. So I was being generous with the 7PM estimate.

Disney also knew that 5 hours was a long time because they admitted the service was being really slow and we saw lots of other people complaining too.

And no...we didn't bring a change of clothes. Just didn't. I guess it would have been a good idea, but with the airlines the way they are...we just try to avoid taking anything unecessary.

I hope they do work out the kinks. Seems like I offended people by being honest. I just didn't want other people to have to go through it. When you count on that half a day to be able to go to the parks, and instead you just have to stay in the hotel...it sucks.

I just use the service and it was fine...but I took care of my own luggage.

I am seriously considering another trip in December because I have these AP passes and want to get the most use out of them.

I am going to use ME for my transportation; however, I am going to take care of my own luggage. We I get off the plane I am going to get my own luggage from baggage claim. Then I am going to check in and have the driver put my luggage on the bottom of the bus. Then (just like I did on May 3 - take my luggage to my room at check-in) or if room not ready - check my luggage with the Luggage Assistance Department out front then get it when my room is ready.

On the return, (just like May 10) I am going to have the driver place my luggage under the bus. Ride to the Airport. Get my own luggage and take it to NWA check-in.

This way I know where my luggage is at all times.

For my family and budget its about the free transporation.....not the luggage service. If things get really bad...I will use just the plain Mears service not Magical Express Mears. I used the plain Mears service on May 3 to get to the hotel and I have nothing but positives to say about the plain Mears service.

I am so sorry you had these bad experiences with ME I hope the rest of your trip was Magical! Sending Pixie dust your way.

I agree with the OP. Luggage being 5 hours late is NOT ACCEPTABLE!! If it was any transportation service (other than a Disney related service) people would be complaining up a storm about the service!
Give me a break...not everyone wants to have a carry on. I take up to 4 trips a year and I would be literally screaming if my luggage did not reach my room within a 1/2 hour after I checked in. It doesn't matter if the service is 'Free' or not..nobody should have to wait that long!
I would write a letter to Disney and let them know how unhappy I was with their service.
Debbie

debden said:
I agree with the OP. Luggage being 5 hours late is NOT ACCEPTABLE!! If it was any transportation service (other than a Disney related service) people would be complaining up a storm about the service!
Give me a break...not everyone wants to have a carry on. I take up to 4 trips a year and I would be literally screaming if my luggage did not reach my room within a 1/2 hour after I checked in. It doesn't matter if the service is 'Free' or not..nobody should have to wait that long!
I would write a letter to Disney and let them know how unhappy I was with their service.
Debbie
WOW!! You took the words right out of my mouth!
Yes, the service is FREE but no excuse why it should take FIVE HOURS for the bags to get to your resort. FIVE HOURS is a looong time to wait. Disney was just not prepared for this service. They are disorganized right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter