Magic in NYC~June 2, 2012

So for those of you driving to NYC and parking at the cruise terminal for the first time, I wanted to post a picture of what that looks like. I took this photo last year when I sailed out of NYC with my dad on another ship.
NYPier.jpg

as you can see, you park above the terminal building. Cost of parking is $30 per night.

Just for the heck of it I searched for a cheaper alternative, and for those of you driving and arriving the night before, I found some hotels where you can stay near Manhattan for around $120 dollars. With the one night stay, you can leave your car parked at the hotel for FREE. There isn't a free shuttle but they offer limo service to the pier. A family of 4 costs $75. Anyway, just thought I would put it out there in case anyone was looking for different ideas.

Hmmm, I think I need to start getting used to the idea that the terminal will be vastly different from the full Disney experience you get out of Florida.

Also, is there enough parking there for a shipload? That lot looks pretty full but I suppose most will use public transportation of some sort.

The one night hotel/limo sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure how excited I am to be driving through the Lincoln Tunnel at 9:00AM on cruise day.

I'm definitely going to want to drive my wife's car instead of mine... then if I hit something... :rotfl2:

Thanks so much mariaelenak!! The picture is wonderful and that info on the hotels is terrific!! :thumbsup2

Hi SuzD! :welcome: Thanks for an idea you gave me! Maybe we should drive to Pittsburgh and hop the train! Driving the 7.5 hours to get to NYC is one thing, driving the 7.5 hours back after 8 nights of fun and relaxation... not so sure I'll be up for that part! :lmao:

Hmmm, I think I need to start getting used to the idea that the terminal will be vastly different from the full Disney experience you get out of Florida.

Also, is there enough parking there for a shipload? That lot looks pretty full but I suppose most will use public transportation of some sort.

The one night hotel/limo sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure how excited I am to be driving through the Lincoln Tunnel at 9:00AM on cruise day.

I'm definitely going to want to drive my wife's car instead of mine... then if I hit something... :rotfl2:

Good question on the amount of parking. We parked there once and didn't have a problem but I guess you never know. It is a pretty long pier and the parking runs the entire length. I wish they would take reservations for the parking like they do at airports.

How are you driving to the terminal? We take I-95 and get off on the Henry Hudson Parkway which brings us straight to the terminal. Of course since we are coming from CT, we get off before crossing the GW Bridge.

We probably will find someone to drop us off there. That will free up one space for someone!

How are you driving to the terminal? We take I-95 and get off on the Henry Hudson Parkway which brings us straight to the terminal. Of course since we are coming from CT, we get off before crossing the GW Bridge.

The current plan is to stay somewhere in Hoboken the night before so my wife can go stand in line at the bakery in the morning. (she'll need that treat so she'll be in a good mood when I put a dent in her car :) )

That would leave us with just a couple of miles left in the morning but most likely includes the Lincoln Tunnel. I really don't mind driving in traffic, but I'll be worrying about the unknown amount of time it will take.

Maybe the train out of Pittsburgh is a less stressful plan? Hotel/cab? There are options... I still have 312 days, 16 hours and 50 minutes left to work out the details....

The current plan is to stay somewhere in Hoboken the night before so my wife can go stand in line at the bakery in the morning. (she'll need that treat so she'll be in a good mood when I put a dent in her car :) )

That would leave us with just a couple of miles left in the morning but most likely includes the Lincoln Tunnel. I really don't mind driving in traffic, but I'll be worrying about the unknown amount of time it will take.

Maybe the train out of Pittsburgh is a less stressful plan? Hotel/cab? There are options... I still have 312 days, 16 hours and 50 minutes left to work out the details....

Well, you can't really go with the less stressful Pittsburgh train idea because then your DW won't be able to have breakfast Hoboken Style. Yes, I do believe I see the Lincoln Tunnel in your future! But how bad can it be on a Saturday morning? Just be glad we are not sailing on a Friday!

The NY terminal may not really have the whole Disney Theme going, but the Intrepid is docked right next to all the cruise ships and that's fun to see and of course The Statue of Liberty will be there wishing us a bon voyage!!
LadyLiberty.jpg

So, you want to have breakfast "Hoboken Style"! If anyone on here doesn't get that comment you'll just have to watch the Cake Boss. Did you watch it last night? The giant cake hamburgers? LOL. I wasn't sure if I wanted to eat cake or a hamburger at the end of the show. But it sure made me hungry.

I've had several friends go to Carlo's Bakery. Usually the line is out the door and around the block. The wait time can be up to two hours on a weekend, so you might want to plan accordingly. Try to get there when it first opens. Weekdays the line is not as long. Maybe if you get to Hoboken before the bakery closes you can get something Friday night for your breakfast on Saturday. Anyway, sounds like a fun plan and I hope you can get in and meet some of the "stars" of the show!!

Good idea about getting something from the bakery Friday night. I have heard that the line can be pretty long - didn't know it could be 2 hours. I'm not sure any bakery item is worth that long of a wait.

Hi everyone My name is Darlene and I am so excited to be going on this cruise with everyone.:goodvibes Just got off the disney eastern magic cruise in May and now I will be going on my 4th disney cruise ( 3 on the magic and 1 one with the wonder). Extra happy it is out of New York since I live in New Jersey. My friends and their boys will also be coming so this is an extra special trip.:lovestruc PLEASE add me to the fish extenders. I have never missed a FE since it is one of the high lights of our trip. It is so much fun!! My family will consist of me Darlene, my husband Mark, my son Kyle 11 years old and youngest son Colton 7 years old( their ages now). My oldest son Andrew is 21 years old and will be in College at that time but he would love to come. If anyone has any questions about the magic or this cruise, let me know. I may be able to help. Make sure you sign up for Palo. Everyone needs to try it at least one time.:dance3: Looking forward to meeting everyone!:grouphug:

Hi everyone My name is Darlene and I am so excited to be going on this cruise with everyone.:goodvibes Just got off the disney eastern magic cruise in May and now I will be going on my 4th disney cruise ( 3 on the magic and 1 one with the wonder). Extra happy it is out of New York since I live in New Jersey. My friends and their boys will also be coming so this is an extra special trip.:lovestruc PLEASE add me to the fish extenders. I have never missed a FE since it is one of the high lights of our trip. It is so much fun!! My family will consist of me Darlene, my husband Mark, my son Kyle 11 years old and youngest son Colton 7 years old( their ages now). My oldest son Andrew is 21 years old and will be in College at that time but he would love to come. If anyone has any questions about the magic or this cruise, let me know. I may be able to help. Make sure you sign up for Palo. Everyone needs to try it at least one time.:dance3: Looking forward to meeting everyone!:grouphug:

Welcome Darlene! Our boys will be around the same age as yours. Matt will be 11 on the cruise and Shawn will be 8. Will your oldest be going to the Edge? Matt loved the lab during our cruise in March and I hope that he likes the Edge as much.

Welcome Darlene! Our boys will be around the same age as yours. Matt will be 11 on the cruise and Shawn will be 8. Will your oldest be going to the Edge? Matt loved the lab during our cruise in March and I hope that he likes the Edge as much.

My 11 year old son LOVED the Edge. He said it was the best place ever! LOL Looking forward to meeting your family. Our friends that are going have 3 boys ages 11, 9 and almost 7 ( current ages). There will be alot of kids the same age.:cool1: They give each stateroom two free cell phones. My son loved having that to walk around the ship. You can even use it on the private island.

My 11 year old son LOVED the Edge. He said it was the best place ever! LOL Looking forward to meeting your family. Our friends that are going have 3 boys ages 11, 9 and almost 7 ( current ages). There will be alot of kids the same age.:cool1: They give each stateroom two free cell phones. My son loved having that to walk around the ship. You can even use it on the private island.

Glad to know that he liked the Edge. We loved the wave phones - a great addition to the ships.

Hi Darlene and :welcome: aboard!! I'm the keeper of the FE List so I'll add your family. Do you have a cabin number yet or did you get GTY?
Do you know if your friends are going to join the FE? LOL...so many questions!

I love that we are sailing out of New York. No plane ride for us since we are only 40 miles from the terminal! The other added bonus is that one extra night of Magic!:wizard:

Hi Darlene! Welcome! We are super excited as well! We will have some of the same ages of kids but I have girls--12 and 9 when we sail! Hope to get to know you! :yay:

To show you how insanely excited we are (you can tell we don't travel much) about this trip...

My girls are listening to Disney music while making a trip countdown chain to put up next week when we hit 300 days! :rotfl::lmao::rotfl2: :crazy:

Thanks to bababear_50 on the Creative DISigns board!

Where in the world am I going hang a 300 link paper chain??? :eek: :confused:

Plus, we made Mickey tie dye shirts last week and they are bugging me to start FE stuff! Please pray for us that nothing comes in the way of us taking this vacation!! :scared: I don't know what I'll do!!

To show you how insanely excited we are (you can tell we don't travel much) about this trip...

My girls are listening to Disney music while making a trip countdown chain to put up next week when we hit 300 days! :rotfl::lmao::rotfl2: :crazy:

Thanks to bababear_50 on the Creative DISigns board!

Where in the world am I going hang a 300 link paper chain??? :eek: :confused:

Plus, we made Mickey tie dye shirts last week and they are bugging me to start FE stuff! Please pray for us that nothing comes in the way of us taking this vacation!! :scared: I don't know what I'll do!!

You guys sound like us! I have had a countdown on my phone since we booked and I keep updating the family.

You will have to post a picture of your huge paper chain.

Oh yes!!! PLEASE post a picture of the paper chain!! I want to see it! What a great idea to do that with little ones!

Well so far we have 6 cabins signed up for the FE.

Our Oct. cruise is going to be something. I think we ended up with 25 cabins on the FE list! So glad the sign up closed last night. I wanted to get started getting my gifts ready! I know a few of you have already mentioned that you would prefer we split up the FE in half if we get large numbers like that. I'm fine with that. I'll just keep adding people to our list and then do some math a few months out if that's what everyone wants to do.

Okay, here we go... sorry for the blurry ones!

Here are all the strips organized by theme, ie Thanksgiving, Christmas, Pirates, etc.:
180.jpg

DD tackling the gluing!
194.jpg

DD trying to organize!
191.jpg

So far... still not done as they need to glue 3 more months onto this!!

205.jpg

202.jpg

I told you we were :crazy: ;)

At least KristiMc your countdown is contained on a phone!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter