Magic in NYC~June 2, 2012

Maria & Brook - Hope all goes well with Irene and that you don't have any damage.

I hope so too! I am praying that their predictions are wrong.

And Maria, I'll pray that tree stays put! We have a few trees around our house like that and I always worry about them if we ever get a big one.

Kristi, I was up at 12:30 looking at radar too and saw what was coming. I couldn't believe the news stations weren't making a bigger deal out of it like they usually do.

Update for me. Tree is still standing in our driveway. Still have power, but Irene is supposted to make landfall here in about an hour. Lots of smaller branches and leaves all over the yard. My DD just lost power at her house a few minutes ago, but she's got the power back on with their generator. Her in-laws have not made out so well. Just a few streets away from me. They had a huge tree fall on their house overnight. Water is pouring into the attic. Thank God the tree did not crash all the way through or it would have landed right on top of my son-in-law's grandmother since the tree fell right over where her bed is.

Maria I'm so glad to hear your tree hasn't come down! I'm hoping this is still the case after it made landfall. So sorry to hear others in your family haven't been so lucky. I'm praying for all of your safety and hopefully this is almost over!

Please take care!! Keep us updated!

Welcome back from your trip! How was it? I hope you had fun and learned a bunch! You leave and come back and look what happens!--all these natural disasters! Just kidding!!

Brook and Maria are you preparing for Irene? Please stay safe!

Maria & Brook - Hope all goes well with Irene and that you don't have any damage.

Thank you! :goodvibes Things here in Astoria, Queens were not nearly as bad as expected - it seems Irene took a bit of pity on NYC and lessened to a Tropical Storm just as she came to visit. There is still damage, but it could have been MUCH worse. Some flooding, the transit is a bit of a mess, downed lines and trees - many people without power. Our worst moment was all the dripping in my son's room. The landlords might have some extensive repair to do in there....we'll see.

If anyone would like to take a look at pictures of my neighborhood and the damage we saw on our walk this afternoon, I have pictures HERE

It's very cool and windy tonight, it's not even 70 degrees! Feels kinda great to have the windows open and the air off!

If anyone would like to take a look at pictures of my neighborhood and the damage we saw on our walk this afternoon, I have pictures HERE

QUOTE]

Great photos! We had power here until around 5 pm, then the winds really kicked in and we lost power. Can hardly believe we lost power after Irene! Have been stuck here most of the day. There is a tree blocking our exit to the right of our driveway. We ventured out and turned left but there was yellow police tape blocking the road right after the bend. Cars were turning around and going back. So erie that our road hasn't seen any traffic all day because of the tree one side and the tape on the other. My DH and I managed to sneak out though. I got out of the car and lifted the tape and DH drove under it. LOL. Then we did the same thing when we came back.

Photo of the tree blocking our street:
WestAve.jpg

Photo of tape blocking the other end:
Tape.jpg

Glad to hear you are all okay! I hope there wasn't too much damage in your son's room and that they can repair it quickly!

I wish I could see the pics but it always says "unavailable". Probably cuz I'm not on FB?

Great photos! We had power here until around 5 pm, then the winds really kicked in and we lost power. Can hardly believe we lost power after Irene! Have been stuck here most of the day. There is a tree blocking our exit to the right of our driveway. We ventured out and turned left but there was yellow police tape blocking the road right after the bend. Cars were turning around and going back. So erie that our road hasn't seen any traffic all day because of the tree one side and the tape on the other. My DH and I managed to sneak out though. I got out of the car and lifted the tape and DH drove under it. LOL. Then we did the same thing when we came back.

Wow! Glad to hear you are all okay as well. Did you get power back? Why did they tape off the road? Is most of it cleaned up by now?

Wow! Glad to hear you are all okay as well. Did you get power back? Why did they tape off the road? Is most of it cleaned up by now?

We got our power back around 11 am! :yay: Then I had to wait for my DS to wake up and remove all the power cords from the generator and rehook everthing up normally. The only thing I was able to do myself was the refridgerator since that was just one power cord. The computer stuff was harder since there was SO MUCH. I really should have taken a photo of the mess of cords and cables my DH had running all over the place.

Just glad it's over and at least my household is back to normal. Can't say the same for others that were not as lucky.

ways says "unavailable". Probably cuz I'm not on FB?

Yep, that's why. That bugs me about Facebook! :headache:

mariaelenak - that is one HUGE tree! Wow! Glad to hear your power is back on! :thumbsup2 NYC MTA got the subways up and running already this morning, I am super impressed and the response time!

Has anyone heard/read about any damage on Castaway Cay? I looked it up the other day, but couldn't find any reports - it was still too early. I'm a tad nervous to find out! :eek:

I have trying to find out info on CC also. From what I have read it sounds like the roof of Cookies Too was blown off and there was some damage to Pelican Plunge. They are also going to need to dredge the channel before a ship is able to dock.

Though someone that boarded yesterday wrote that they were told that they would be going to CC so we will have to wait for some reports.

I read the same posts about CC. Maybe after this sailing we'll know more as anything else is speculation. I just really wish Disney would be more forthcoming with info so there would a lot more facts circulating.... maybe cut down on some of the nastiness from people when their opinions don't agree.

Hmmm....ya, I wish Disney would tell us too! I read an article yesterday about all the cruise line's private islands and Disney was VERY vague, basically just saying they are assessing the damage. :rolleyes:

I hope the current cruise is able to dock and everyone is able to enjoy CC! (and that they promptly report back :laughing:)

Hi Everyone!

Another week has flown by. We are now
arg-3-50-trans.gif
arg-9-50-trans.gif

weeks away from our Magical Disney sailing out of New York City!

Realized I didn't post my dancing numbers last week. Guess I was busy getting ready for the hurricane!

And this is the reason I was late posting today is because I made a birthday smash cake for a photoshoot my daughter was doing.
So cute I had to share!
RylanCake.jpg

RylanCake2.jpg

RylanCake3-1.jpg

Maria,that cake came out adorable! Gorgeous pics! The baby is soooo cute!

Does anyone have plans for Nassau or are you staying on board?

So, anyone trying to plan their Disney day yet? It's kind of hard to really plan anything as we have no idea what time we can get to the parks, as in, how they will work the transportation. So far, I think we are sticking to MK but if time allows (hahaha!) hop to Epcot? Still too many unknowns!

When we went to WDW many moons ago, I used Tour Guide Mike and it worked soooooo well, that I would consider buying it again even if it is only for a day! We really maximized our time and minimized line waiting!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter