Magic Bands 101

I recently made a reservation for a stay 28 days away and only had 24 hours to customize my bands. They were shipped the next evening. My other set of bands were shipped at 29 days, not two weeks so I will not be changing that until it changes, if and when it does.

:thumbsup2

I made my reservations a gazillion years ago and when MDE (I refuse, REFUSE to use an X...I know how to spell Experience, and it doesn't start with an X) changed to show that I could customize the MB and make FP+ selections it gave me a date. I had to customize them by 9/3, and we check in 10/4. That's a lot more than 10 days out.

MagicMom, a nearby thread talks about a person's call to Disney IT... and makes it clear that "hard ticket events" including MVMCP cannot go on the bands... they were told they must bring and use the RFID card ticket for admission.

But I believe it was yesterday that someone checked in and the people at the resort put MNSSHP tickets onto her MB. I'm hoping she'll report back if it messed things up (as the info Cheshire gave us said it would), but of course she's carrying hard tickets with her as well.

Unless you want to use FP+, correct (as of today)?

I am clarifying because (as of today), IT is reporting this is not an option if you want to use FP+.

In the MagicBand box, under the grey part containing the MBs, was a piece of paper. It has "Information on Your MagicBand and Radio Frequency (RF) Technology".

Right there it states "If you prefer, you may elect to use an RF card instead of a MagicBand. The card contains a passive HF radio frequency chip and cannot be detected by the long-range readers."

I think that people are using KTTW when maybe they are referring to the RF card? Now I'm not sure if the resorts are giving an RF card that ALSO serves as a KTTW card, or if it's separate.

Thanks..I thought so. I just had read so much recently that just states "KTTW can be used in place of MB" and "you don't have to use MB if you don't want"

And even though that's correct, it kinda needs an *.

I agree, and I will amend the OP. Thanks!

Now, one last question.

If I have the choice to use (one or the other, FP+ or FP-), there is no way I want to participate in MB testing. As of today, those testing MB can still use their KTTW for regular FPs. But, what if I sign up for MB testing, make my FP reservations, then the rule changes and those involved in testing can no longer get regular FPs....at that time, can I go back and be removed from testing?

I do not know for sure, but I am guessing they will be able to remove you if that is what you want.

Answers above.

I think that people are using KTTW when maybe they are referring to the RF card? Now I'm not sure if the resorts are giving an RF card that ALSO serves as a KTTW card, or if it's separate.

The KTTW cards are now RFID compatible.

I think the distinction has to be made that magic bands =/= fast pass +

yes, you can use your KTTW card instead of your magic band, I think everyone universally agrees there....i think the confusion (or at least my confusion between what I was told by IT and what I frequently read here), is that you cannot use your KTTW for FP+.

You can participate in magic band testing and not make any FP+ reservations and use your KTTW card just as you would your MB, BUT if you want FP+ IT is saying you will need to use the Magic Bands

Again, I am not saying this with any certainty as I have not tested or tried it, I am just as confused as alot of people getting different info.

So do I need to wait until my 60 day window to customize my bands? Magic Bands is an option on the right side of my screen on the MDE internet site, but it keeps asking me to link reservations/tickets (and when I do it says already linked, because I've done this already). When I try to book FP+, it says I can't because I'm 74 days out. Should I be able to customize the bands at the 60 day mark?

So do I need to wait until my 60 day window to customize my bands? Magic Bands is an option on the right side of my screen on the MDE internet site, but it keeps asking me to link reservations/tickets (and when I do it says already linked, because I've done this already). When I try to book FP+, it says I can't because I'm 74 days out. Should I be able to customize the bands at the 60 day mark?

I thought you could customize them any time outside of 10 days before arrival.

The KTTW cards are now RFID compatible.

I think the distinction has to be made that magic bands =/= fast pass +

yes, you can use your KTTW card instead of your magic band, I think everyone universally agrees there....i think the confusion (or at least my confusion between what I was told by IT and what I frequently read here), is that you cannot use your KTTW for FP+.

And that's exactly what I'm addressing. The info in the box and even on the FAQ on the website doesn't refer to the KTTW, it refers to a magic CARD. That you can use for FP+s if you don't want the band but do want to try FP+s.

I think IT got confused. After all, they are probably in Seattle and might never have ventured out to Florida, so they don't know what all the ins and outs are.

Does it say "Manage Magic Bands" or "Personalize Magic Bands"? If it says "Manage" you cannot customize them yet. Once you get to 60 days out that should change to "Personalize". At that time you should be able to customize your bands and make FP+ selections.

And that's exactly what I'm addressing. The info in the box and even on the FAQ on the website doesn't refer to the KTTW, it refers to a magic CARD. That you can use for FP+s if you don't want the band but do want to try FP+s.

The magic card (as of today) for guests testing their magic bands is the KTTW card.

I'm trying to get an idea of what I need to do on the day we check in to POR. We have a MYW package booked w/ free dining.

Is there any consistent answer on whether we would have to check-in at the hotel before using the Magic Bands at a park? Does the answer get more consistent if we intend to use a dining plan entitlement that day?

Thanks! :goodvibes

I'm trying to get an idea of what I need to do on the day we check in to POR. We have a MYW package booked w/ free dining.

Is there any consistent answer on whether we would have to check-in at the hotel before using the Magic Bands at a park? Does the answer get more consistent if we intend to use a dining plan entitlement that day?

If you are getting Magic Bands you should be all set. Do on line check in from home and then your package should be accessible by your bands when you arrive.

The key word, of course is should. Since this is still in a testing phase there are a lot of glitches to be worked out. But in theory, no, you won't have to go to your resort before heading to the parks.

If you are getting Magic Bands you should be all set. Do on line check in from home and then your package should be accessible by your bands when you arrive.

The key word, of course is should. Since this is still in a testing phase there are a lot of glitches to be worked out. But in theory, no, you won't have to go to your resort before heading to the parks.

Thanks! I guess we will have to see how lucky we feel that day. :)

Does it say "Manage Magic Bands" or "Personalize Magic Bands"? If it says "Manage" you cannot customize them yet. Once you get to 60 days out that should change to "Personalize". At that time you should be able to customize your bands and make FP+ selections.

Yep, it says Manage. Thanks so much. Just trying to be a good DIS'er and stay on top of things. LOL :goodvibes

Are you using Magical Express? That might be a good way to see if things are working. If it doesn't work at ME you know there is a problem.

Unfortunately, we aren't. We'll be getting to Orlando late at night and staying offsite. Knowing that the Magic Bands would work would save me a trip to POR in the morning (and might more importantly gain me 30 minutes or so of sleep ;)).

Hey all, still a bit confused about my split stay.

So, we're doing a split stay where our first resort is not included until halfway through our trip, but our second resort (where we're only staying one night) is included in the testing.

We have park tickets that have been linked on MDE for the entire trip and therefore will be linked on the magic bands.

I have seen that I could potentially make FP+ for days after we leave- up to the amount of days on our ticket.... but not for the days on the other reservation. Is there anything to do about this? I know FP+ is linked to the ticket so should there be?

If not- will it be a problem when we've already used 5 out of our 7 days before we can use the FP+ for two days?

Also, why am I able to look for BOG Fast passes for the first half of our trip that's not in the magic band testing but not rides? Am I missing something or is this really how it is?

Thanks all!!

Hey all, still a bit confused about my split stay.

So, we're doing a split stay where our first resort is not included until halfway through our trip, but our second resort (where we're only staying one night) is included in the testing.

We have park tickets that have been linked on MDE for the entire trip and therefore will be linked on the magic bands.

I have seen that I could potentially make FP+ for days after we leave- up to the amount of days on our ticket.... but not for the days on the other reservation. Is there anything to do about this? I know FP+ is linked to the ticket so should there be?

If not- will it be a problem when we've already used 5 out of our 7 days before we can use the FP+ for two days?

Also, why am I able to look for BOG Fast passes for the first half of our trip that's not in the magic band testing but not rides? Am I missing something or is this really how it is?

Thanks all!!

Your bands should work for room entry, park entry and, if you have it set up, charging for your whole stay.

You will not be able to make FP+ selections until your second part of your trip since the second check-in date at the testing resort is what the computer will recognize as your eligibility date. FP+ is linked to the hotel stay and the ticket during this testing phase. You will still be able to access the regular FP system on the non-FP+ days.

Since you make FP+ selections in advance, you should be able to make choices for any days you will be at the second resort (including check-in and -out days,, regardless of how many ticket days you will use while at the first resort.

The BOG FP is not tied to the Magic Bands or FP+. That may change in the future.

I don't recall reading anything that states you have to check-in prior to using your Magic Bands.

However, the KTTW card you receive at check-in is your Magic Band back-up. I'm not saying you should expect issues with your Magic Bands, but this is still a test phase.

Your bands should work for room entry, park entry and, if you have it set up, charging for your whole stay.

You will not be able to make FP+ selections until your second part of your trip since the second check-in date at the testing resort is what the computer will recognize as your eligibility date. FP+ is linked to the hotel stay and the ticket during this testing phase. You will still be able to access the regular FP system on the non-FP+ days.

Since you make FP+ selections in advance, you should be able to make choices for any days you will be at the second resort (including check-in and -out days,, regardless of how many ticket days you will use while at the first resort.

The BOG FP is not tied to the Magic Bands or FP+. That may change in the future.

Hi MouseMomx2 -- thx for starting this thread! :thumbsup2

Are you CERTAIN about the bold red part above?? I really hope this is the case. We have a similar situation to PP. We have a split stay 9/26-10/5, and 10/5-10/8 at BLT and have been told we can only test MB for the second reservation, since BLT begins testing after 9/30. Do they mean that we will only be able to test FP+ beginning 10/5, but can use MB for entry etc. beginning 9/26 when we arrive?? :confused3

We loved using the MB's during our split stay, we had a set of MB's for our 4 night stay at POR. We used them for our package that included free dinning and 4 day park tickets. We had a 7 day cruise on the Fantasy and then returned with another set of MB's for a room only stay at AOA. We used the first set from our POR stay for everything we did, including charging. We had no problems with it, had everything set up before we left on My Disney Experience for FP+ and dining etc. After returning from the cruise we had one day in the parks with FP's set up, left on our first set of MB's and wore both MB's on our one night at AOA. They were all different colors. I decorated my bands with the add-on's sold in the resort stores. We had only one time where we could not use the MB to pay for something and that was because the reader was not working. I advised the cast member that they should not use the register if they wanted to have positive feedback for the test. Later I saw that they had closed that register. They gave us the cards as a back up, and to use where the MB readers were not being used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter