Magic Bands 101

Nothing is actually on the band. It is on your account which the band accesses. You should have no trouble accessing the tickets from both bands. Key word...should. This is still just rolling out so there are a lot of glitches. Personally, I would bring both bands until you make certain that everything is okay.

thanks! Oh, I plan to bring both sets of bands and our paper tickets and social security cards! LOL My real concern is that I linked our 10-day tickets to the first set of bands that are for our room only reservation that is for just 2 nights, then go to use our second set of magic bands for the remaining 8 days on our second room only reservation and don't have access to the remaining park tickets from the first set of magic bands. Then would we have to keep both sets of bands with us to get into the parks and access our FP+ selections?:worried:

thanks! Oh, I plan to bring both sets of bands and our paper tickets and social security cards! LOL My real concern is that I linked our 10-day tickets to the first set of bands that are for our room only reservation that is for just 2 nights, then go to use our second set of magic bands for the remaining 8 days on our second room only reservation and don't have access to the remaining park tickets from the first set of magic bands. Then would we have to keep both sets of bands with us to get into the parks and access our FP+ selections?:worried:

Again, nothing is on the band. You linked your passes to your MDE/MDX account which the bands read. The extra sets of bands are a formality. Eventually you won't get extra bands for split stays. You will get one band, that is linked to your MDE/MDX profile, that will be able to be used for several years.

As it stands today, are the magic bands/KTTW card basically interchangeable..Let's say we sign up for MB and make out FP+ reservations. Customize them when appropriate and they are shipped to us. We use them for DME, arrive to our resort, wear them to the park and good to go.

Throughout the day, it just irritates me.

At that point, can I just leave it in my bag for the rest of the day and use my KTTW from there on out?

IT said no, I couldn't...only that my KTTW would be as "backup".

As it stands today, are the magic bands/KTTW card basically interchangeable..Let's say we sign up for MB and make out FP+ reservations. Customize them when appropriate and they are shipped to us. We use them for DME, arrive to our resort, wear them to the park and good to go.

At that point, can I just leave it in my bag for the rest of the day and use my KTTW from there on out?

I don't see why you couldn't for charging, but for FP+ you have to scan your MB, I don't think the KTTW works except in old FP machine. Maybe mousemom can help?

Awesome job mousemom!!! Love the info!!! You helped me over at current resort lists, I will report anything I hear to you.:mic: Thanks again!!

This I do not know. You can opt out of the bands completely, in which case you get a KTTW card, but I don't know if your back-up card is useable if you do opt in to the band. If IT is saying no then I would go with that answer.

I will say, however, that the bands are EXTREMELY comfortable. I wore mine for 24 hours when I first got it, just to see. It is so light that I often completely forgot I had it on.

Awesome job mousemom!!! Love the info!!! You helped me over at current resort lists, I will report anything I hear to you.:mic: Thanks again!!

Thanks! And yes, please do. This is a work in progress and it will take all of us to make it accurate and up to date.

I don't see why you couldn't for charging, but for FP+ you have to scan your MB, I don't think the KTTW works except in old FP machine.

Thats what I am hearing...before this week everything I have read had suggested you did not have to use your MB and the KTTW could be used just the same (and maybe ti will after roll out). I heard the only differences were that they might not recognize your name as you walked by (difference in scanning technology), but needing your MB for FP+ is a big difference from believing the KTTW will work just the same as a MB.

This I do not know. You can opt out of the bands completely, in which case you get a KTTW card, but I don't know if your back-up card is useable if you do opt in to the band. If IT is saying no then I would go with that answer.

I will say, however, that the bands are EXTREMELY comfortable. I wore mine for 24 hours when I first got it, just to see. It is so light that I often completely forgot I had it on.

I hate wearing any jewelry..the only piece I wear is my wedding ring, and even take that off while swimming, running, cycling, at the gym, etc...I absolutely hate watches, chains, bracelets.

The whole, "You don't need to wear the magic band" thing is correct, but you will have to carry it with you if you want to participate in MB testing.

Thats what I am hearing...before this week everything I have read had suggested you did not have to use your MB and the KTTW could be used just the same (and maybe ti will after roll out). I heard the only differences were that they might not recognize your name as you walked by (difference in scanning technology), but needing your MB for FP+ is a big difference from believing the KTTW will work just the same as a MB.

I think what has been said is that you do not have to use MBs but can opt for a KTTW card instead. If you opt not to use MBs your KTTW card will be able to be used for FP+s. This is how off-property guests will access FP+. They will have the ability to purchase a MB if they want one, but the default will be a card.

So, I think the bottom line is you have to choose MBs or no MBs. If you choose MBs you will need to use them for FP+. If you opt out you will be given an RFID-enabled KTTW card.

The whole, "You don't need to wear the magic band" thing is correct, but you will have to carry it with you if you want to participate in MB testing.

No, you can opt out completely, In that case you will get a KTTW card. The issue comes when you want both...a MB and a back-up KTTW card. That is not possible the way things are now. You will have to choose between them.

I think what has been said is that you do not have to use MBs but can opt for a KTTW card instead. If you opt not to use MBs your KTTW card will be able to be used for FP+s. This is how off-property guests will access FP+. They will have the ability to purchase a MB if they want one, but the default will be a card.

Yeah, but you're talking about post testing, when it is live. Right now, non resort guests cannot participate. As of today, you have to either wear or carry your MB if you want to participate in FP+...you cannot use your KTTW card, correct?

So, I think the bottom line is you have to choose MBs or no MBs. If you choose MBs you will need to use them for FP+. If you opt out you will be given an RFID-enabled KTTW card

But that option is not available now, is it?

That's what IT said was not an option. They said the KTTW card was only used as a backup.

I think alot of the confusion (not from you, just in general) is from people discussing what was yesterday, what is today and what is expected to be tomorrow.

Yeah, but you're talking about post testing, when it is live. Right now, non resort guests cannot participate. As of today, you have to either wear or carry your MB if you want to participate in FP+...you cannot use your KTTW card, correct?

But that option is not available now, is it?

That's what IT said was not an option. They said the KTTW card was only used as a backup.

I think alot of the confusion (not from you, just in general) is from people discussing what was yesterday, what is today and what is expected to be tomorrow.

Yes, that option is available. No one is obligated to use Magic Bands.

So just to get it straight... Do you have to have an MB to access FP+ during testing, or can you scan your KTTW at a FP+ stand?

Ah, I understand now. :) Sorry! :flower3:

Yes, right now I believe you will need to use MBs if you want FP+s. This will change once the traditional FP machines are gone. During testing, however, you must have a MB to access FP+.

Ah, I understand now. :) Sorry!

Yes, right now I believe you will need to use MBs if you want FP+s. This will change once the traditional FP machines are gone. During testing, however, you must have a MB to access FP+.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Just heard another MB perk. If your kids are wearing them, link with your cell #, if they get lost, CM can scan MB and call you a lot quicker. When my DS was 3 y/o we had the tattoos, this is way better.:thumbsup2

Thanks..I thought so. I just had read so much recently that just states "KTTW can be used in place of MB" and "you don't have to use MB if you don't want"

And even though that's correct, it kinda needs an *.

I've got a 3 1/2 year old, she may not want to wear the bracelet and I know I won't want to wear it. So, we'll just need to decide up front whether or not we want to carry the bands in addition to our KTTW card.

Now, one last question.

If I have the choice to use (one or the other, FP+ or FP-), there is no way I want to participate in MB testing. As of today, those testing MB can still use their KTTW for regular FPs. But, what if I sign up for MB testing, make my FP reservations, then the rule changes and those involved in testing can no longer get regular FPs....at that time, can I go back and be removed from testing?

We had a rental car and the magic band can also be used to re-enter your resort at the security shack.

I will add that the contortions you need to do at Yacht Club to get the magic band to be read by the security panel are not comfortable. It was much easier to take off the magic band and hold it or use the KTTW card.

All the right handed people who wear a watch on their left wrist are going to have to go cross body with the band being worn on their right wrist.

Ah, I understand now. :) Sorry! :flower3:

People elsewhere have reported that the RFID chip in the KTTW card works at the magic band FP+ machines/ports too.

All the right handed people who wear a watch on their left wrist are going to have to go cross body with the band being worn on their right wrist.

I have heard this question. Now this is only rumor, but I heard, at some point, the adult version may come with a small digital clock EST set. It may be an option you can chose or in all, not sure. Like I said rumor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter