Lunch at Castaway Cay?

vandy

Vacations are getaways from vacation planning!
I received the 2016 DCL vacation book today and on page 5 where all of the included ("free") items are talked about, it lists a BBQ lunch at Castaway Cay. There is no asterisk and no statement stating otherwise. Is lunch (and basic drinks) on Castaway Cay included in the price of the cruise?

Lunch is free, and there are soda machines there which are included and self serve.

Yes they are free. My wife does say to NOT get the gluten-free/dairy free cheeseburger at the BBQ. It was awful :-)

Yes they are free. My wife does say to NOT get the gluten-free/dairy free cheeseburger at the BBQ. It was awful :-)

Our server promised us gluten-free ribs and baked beans on Castaway Cay. It took us 30+ minutes to get our meal because he told us to go to the wrong pick-up location. When the food finally arrived, the ribs were inedible (poor-quality meat, overcooked, & no sauce to improve the situation), and the "baked beans" were bare kidney beans :sad2:. Gluten-free on Castaway Cay has a long way to go!

Thanks! I was never completely sure on this. Is lunch available at SB?

There are three places to eat. Cookies and Cookies Too are on the family beach. SB has its own food and the menu often has a few more adult type offerings.

TBH, I would be happy to just eat the amazing fruit we had last time.

I have heard that SB has different food over there such as steak sandwiches. Is this true? And is it free as well?

Yes, there usually are steaks available at Serenity Bay. But don't expect a filet! And the Serenity Bay buffet is free, too. Castaway Cay is kind of an extension of the cruise ship on land. You have the same servers, the same bartenders etc. It just all moves from ship to land. And the same goes for the food as well. However, you can also go back to the ship to have lunch there, if you would want to. Might be an option for those with allergies if the gluten free food is so bad on the island...

Our server promised us gluten-free ribs and baked beans on Castaway Cay. It took us 30+ minutes to get our meal because he told us to go to the wrong pick-up location. When the food finally arrived, the ribs were inedible (poor-quality meat, overcooked, & no sauce to improve the situation), and the "baked beans" were bare kidney beans :sad2:. Gluten-free on Castaway Cay has a long way to go!
We ad the exact same issue with DS dairy free lunch. Wrong location, long wait etc.

I received the 2016 DCL vacation book today and on page 5 where all of the included ("free") items are talked about, it lists a BBQ lunch at Castaway Cay. There is no asterisk and no statement stating otherwise. Is lunch (and basic drinks) on Castaway Cay included in the price of the cruise?

As the others have already stated the food is provided in the cost of the cruise. There are 3 locations to eat. Cookies, Cookies Too and Serenity Bay Adults only over 18 permitted. The food is standard Bar B Que type ie: Hamburgers, chicken, ribs, steak and some pasta salads etc. Not great quality, but after some time in the water, sun and maybe a few cocktails it will fill up a hollow spot and save you from having to go all the way back to the ship to eat. Below is a small shot of Cookies Too and the nearby seating. At Serenity Bay it is under umbrellas and palm trees and be ready to defend your lunch against the local birds. o_O

Vegetarian options are very limited, it's a little disappointing, but I've gotten used to it. There is a veggie burger patty, but it's not good. I usually stick with beer and have some desert items.

Cookies or Cookies Too - is either less crowded than the other? I just remember having a hard time finding a table years ago.

The first time we went to CC, I remember my daughter being amazed that they had cloth napkins, on an island, for lunch LOL. We were quite pleased with the food and have been each time. Once my daughter was old enough and we started going to SB, we found the buffet just as good -- but usually with extras like steak, salmon/salmon cakes. It is a little smaller but just as nice. It is a lot quieter, too.

[TIP: be sure to try at least one Konk Kooler! you won't regret it]

Cookies or Cookies Too - is either less crowded than the other? I just remember having a hard time finding a table years ago.

I guess it depends on when (Date and time of day) you go. The pictures above were taken on March 6, 2016 at 1:32 and there was plenty of seating available. We had already eaten at Serenity Bay on this day and again no problem getting a table there either.

Yes, there usually are steaks available at Serenity Bay. But don't expect a filet!
I've never seen steak (of any variety) at Serenity Bay and we always eat our lunch there.

What do you use for the soda machines? Is it a refillable souvenir cup?

It's just like on the ship - paper cups available. If you bring your own cup, they ask that you use one of theirs to fill yours:
castaway cay 2014 cookies 16063 P1020669 1500.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter