Luggage

Darling Daisy

Earning My Ears
My DH and I are tentatively planning our first trip to WDW for around a week the beginning of next May. We've been working on our budget and have no idea how much to plan to spend on luggage. We've never gone on a major trip, so we don't own any at all.
Can anyone help with this?
Any recommendations on brands, how to find a good deal, and how much we'll need would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Before you buy any luggage be sure to look at the airlines web sites. There are size and weight restrictions. You don't want to buy one that it considered oversize and have to pay extra every time you fly.

Are you driving or flying? If you're driving, I personally wouldn't spend any money on luggage. Do you have duffle bags, etc.? We are a family of 4 and pack all of our stuff in 2 small bags and a clothes basket (for toys, etc.). HTH

Safetymom: Thanks for your advice! I'll make sure we check into that before we buy anything.

Poober25: We'll be flying, so unfortunately I don't see any way to avoid the luggage purchase. Really, we never go anywhere, so I don't even think we have duffel bags. Isn't that sad!

If you don't plan on doing a lot more traveling, how about borrowing from friends or family?

If you do want to buy, be sure to check the outlet malls (sure there are some in Memphis since it's such a large city). There might be an American Tourister or Samsonite outlet store there.

If you don't plan on doing a lot of airline travel, you don't need top of the line luggage. For my first airline trip, I got a huge suitcase from WalMart for less than $50. I got tired of lugging it around, so I now have a rolling duffel bag I got from Target that I really like. It has a long warranty, sturdy canvas fabric and it was on sale for around $45.

Don't buy real expensive, because it does get beat up, on the plane.

Don't buy real cheap, because it does get beat up, on the plane.

Also don't buy black. I really think that one day, I'm going to see a fist fight over luggage that looks identical, coming off the belt. If you do have black, tie a brightly colored bow to the handle, or something else that is easily spotted.

Also, I always worry about borrowing anything. My luck it would get trashed.

I bought my last set at Wilson's leather outlet. It is not leather, but got 4 piece set for around $75.00. So far its been on a few trips, and is in great shape.

My other favorite piece is a rolling duffel. It is an american tourister I think. It is great. Nice and roomy, and very flexible. It hold that hard to pack stuff great.

I think this is the best deal on luggage, plus it's good quality!

I went to ebags.com and instead of selecting the five piece luggage set for 99, from the home page, I chose to put everything seperate into the cart and got 30% off because I got three items. There deal is the first item you get 10% off 2nd item 20% off 3rd item 30% off all orders. Anyway I got 5 pieces of luggage in a pretty blue color for 76.97!! Here are the bags I got if you want to do the search.

Optima - 3-Piece Rolling Set View | Remove | Estimated Arrival | Save For Later Blue 79.99 -30% 55.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optima - Tote View | Remove | Estimated Arrival | Save For Later Blue 14.99 -30% 10.49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optima - Travel Duffel View | Remove | Estimated Arrival | Save For Later Blue 14.99 -30% 10.49

You Save: $33.00
SubTotal: $76.97

I just bought a 4 piece set at Walmart for $50.00. We don't usually do a lot of traveling, but when I was just looking at 1 piece it was just a little less and I figured this way I'll have it for awhile. I've been forewarned that some people forget about all the souvineers they'll be bringing back home. I don't plan on buying too many, but you never can tell. I also am taking snacks with us to bring to the parks.

For a luggage I say go to Wal-Mart or Sam's Club and get a decent 5 piece set under a 100.00 dollars. Wal-Mart sells Ameican Tourister luggage for a good price.

Or go to a thift store like a the Goodwill or America Thrift Store to see what there selection in luggage.

Get your a Sunday newspaer and check out the sales. The stores have been having a good sell on luggage.

The pre July 4th sales should be excellent.

We got an excellent deal at Target (clearance) 4 pi set for $30.00. I then sold my Samsonite rolling luggage at my garage sale for $5.00 ( I've had it for 12 years and it still looked new ). Maybe check gargage sales or thrift stores. I have to agree about not borrowing...if something happened to it you would have to replace it anyway.

would be to not buy an oversized suitcase. DH and I each took one on a recent trip to California and filled it full with souvenirs, etc on the way home. Well, they were over the weight limit and we ended up paying another $50US for each bag. So, if you're like me and will shop until every nook and cranny of your luggage is full, buy something more reasonably sized. :D

My suggestion if you decide to purchase is to not buy anything over 26 inches. Anything bigger and you could be over the 50lb weight limit on many airlines (SWA is 70lb).

I travel for work and and have a 30", 26" and a 22" roll a board suitcase. The 30" is useless because I can't lift it when packed into a car. The 26" is liftable but heavy. I now usually pack in my 22" roll a board which I bring as my carryon and check a smallish duffle bag if I need more room.

It sounds like you really don't ever travel. Check with borrowing from friends and family.

The best suggestion I can offer you is to buy something that can be wheeled. This makes a tremendous difference in your travelling experience IMO.

Rolling backpack sounds like it would be a excellent option for you and husband and found them at Wal-mart to anywhere from 10.00 to 100.00 dollars it just depends on how much you wants to spend.

I must echo the comments about the color black....everyone (or so it seemed) had black luggage on my recent trip! Although it is a great choice to reduce dirt or scuffing, everyone seems to choose it. A light color doesn't work either, but patterns are available - and different. The comments about size are cogent as well; many airlines are using templates to measure the luggage. And remember not to lock your bag when flying.

I like rolling duffle with a extendable handle. Don't buy expensive it only gets destroyed. Not to cheap that it will fall apart either. My family of four each has their own duffle. We also carry a collasible cooler which we pack with snacks on the way down. Look at flea markets and garage sales and thrift stores. Roll it around and check zippers. Have enough bag room for purchases when you return. Over stuffed bags are not a good idea when things have to be inspected. Carry drugs in carry on and a extra set of clothes if your luggage gets losts. We take a picture of luggage when its packed. Ribbon and tape can make a black or blue bag easy to spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter