Low Carb Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my burger trick that helps keep me in check while giving the rest of the family a more "normal" type meal. I make all of the fixings for tacos - cheese, sour cream, guacamole, onions, hot sauce - and the family gets tortillas - I use large crisp lettuce leafs (iceburg usually) instead of the tortilla. It is my home variation on PF Changs Lettuce Wraps. You can do it with all different kinds of foods - chinese, mexican, whatever...

For quick chicken I grill it and then smother it in sauteed onions, green peppers and a few poblano pepper strips, and then cover it in monterey jack cheese and let it get all gooey.

Here's my chicken cheesesteak recipe.

I take the meat off of several chicken breasts (the kind on the bone & with skin) I break it into bite size pices. I sprinkle a package of Italian Dressing mix on it. Toss to coat. Fry it w/ a few Tbsp. of oil with sliced onion and mushrooms. You can eat just the meat or melt swiss cheese on it. My family eats it on a bun, but it's so good, that I won't even miss the bun.

Pecans to die for!:D

I take Pecan halves and stirfry them in some butter with salt and splenda to taste. I just stir them enough to coat. Then lay on a baking sheet to cool before putting them in a zip loc bag for storage.

They become a wonderful salty/sweet treat.
:D

Wooooooooooo!!! I love pecans, and I'll have to try the chicken and taco wrap, too.

Here are some ideas from another thread by Jody and Rhonda that I thought were neat ideas all together in one place:

Originally posted by wovenwonder
You can have up to 20 grams of carbs during induction. So yes -- you can have some veggie carbs. I could easily live on steak, chicken prepared 100 different ways during induction. You have to be ready to make the commitment though. As often the first week or so can be difficult to get thru. Look on the positive side of things ---- what other plan can you eat three [or more] big, juicy grilled steaks every day!;)

grilled burgers
steaks
chicken cheese steak [minus bun - and cheese for you]
philly style steaks [beef]
chicken salad
hot and spicy wings with celery and blue cheese
chicken ceaser salad
Pork and sauerkraut
Ham with Green Beans
Grilled Pork tenderloins
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Asparagus
Broccoli Salad
fried cabbage

the list can go on and on.......

Think of all the things you CAN HAVE instead of dwelling on the things you can't.
:D

Originally posted by Rhonda
To add to that list:

Mushrooms stuffed with sausage & cheese
hot dogs
brats (check the carbs for the lowest ones)
corned beef & cabbage
deli meat (turkey, beef, ham, etc) spread with cream cheese & wrapped around a pickle or cheese cube
SF jello with a little whipped cream
Green beans & chopped bacon sauteed in vinegar
Tuna salad (tuna, mayo, celery, onion, salt & pepper)
Pepperoni crisps
Beef sticks
Beef or turkey jerkey (get the ones with the least amount of sugar)

I just cook simple stuff so far, like I said in my earlier post.

Thank you again for all the great ideas.

Best Wishes and Encouragement, Ray:)

I tried these eggs yesterday and I loved them!

Scramble 6 eggs in med. bowl
Add 1 cup sour cream
mix in 1/4 cup chives (I used fresh,minced) or you can use dried.

Cook eggs how you would usually cook scrambled eggs.
I mixed a side of sour cream with chives and dipped my eggs into it.
Hope you like it too!

Well, it's shrimp season here at the beach, and my all time favorite shrimp recipe fits atkins perfectly, and it's easy, too!

Shrinp and artichokes:

1lb fresh shrimp (frozen raw shrimp is almost as good!)
1 16 oz can atrichoke hearts (in water, not marinade)
1 cup parmesan cheese (The cheap kind in the shaker is perfect)
1 cup mayo
butter for greasing pan

Peel, devein, and chop the shrimp. Drain the artichokes, and chop them as well. In a mixing bowl, mix the may and cheese. Add the chopped shrimp and artichokes, and mix to blend.

Grease a casserole or other oven proof dish, and spoon in the shrimp mixture. abke at 350 for 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
This recipe is indulgent and rich--one of our faves, Atkins or not!

I'm new to the DIS boards and am thrilled to find this thread! I've been doing Atkins since November and have been wanting some new recipes. I've been getting tired of the ones I've been using over and over. Now... to read all of your recipes!

I found this yummy recipe on the lowcarbfriends.com board and tried it this weekend. It's a keeper!! For those times when you have a craving for lasagna that just won't go away. Enjoy!

Impossible Lasagna

1/2 c. ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
1 lb. ground beef, cooked and drained
2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 t. oregano
1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
1 c. cream
2 large eggs
2/3 c. bake mix, Atkins or homemade
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease pie plate or square 8 x 8 pan. Layer ricotta/cottage cheese in plate. Mix cooked beef, one cup of mozzarella, oregano, and tomato paste. Spoon evenly over the top. Beat cream, eggs, bake mix, salt and pepper 15 seconds in blender on high or 1 minute with hand beater until well blended. Pour into pie plate. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to oven 1 to 2 minutes. Serves 6 to 8. NOTE: I might layer this a little different. Meat sauce on the bottom, Ricotta in the middle, and bake mix mixture on the top...then the cheese.

I made yummy BLT's yesterday. I used a leaf of romaine lettuce, mayonaise, bacon and two thin (not paper thing) slices of tomato, rolled together.

It was delicious, my brother loved it too. You can actually taste the flavors of the bacon and tomato together when they aren't hidden between two slices of bread. I like it better than the old fashioned BLT on bread.

A southern treat that I love is fried okra. We used to cut okra and roll it in corn meal. Don't do that anymore :)

I take a bag of frozen cut okra and allow it to defrost, then I roll the pieces of okra in the powdery type parmesan cheese and fry it.

It is delicious. Even my husband, who is a picky eater loved it.

There is only 1 net carb in 3/4 cup of cut okra, so a serving of this is probably less than 2 carbs when you figure in the parmesan cheese.

Katholyn, thank you. I love fried okra.

God bless you, best wishes,and encouragement, RaySharpton:)

This is adapted from a family recipe for green bean casserole... it's a little different, but good!

Green Bean Casserole

3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup onion, diced fine
1 cup sour cream
2 cans green beans, canned
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Sunkist sliced almonds - bacon & cheese flavor

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Melt butter in bottom of casserole dish.

3. Add diced onions, salt and pepper, and place in heated oven for 10 minutes.

4. Mix in green beans, sour cream, and 1/3 cup of cheese, along with any more salt and pepper to taste.

5. Place remainder of shredded cheese on top of casserole. Bake for 30 minutes. Add handful of bacon & cheese flavored sliced almonds on top, place back in oven for an additional 5-10 minutes.

Originally posted by dizneegirl
OK, you HAVE to try the Mock Danish!

Mock Danish

2 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
1 Tbs. Splenda
1 tsp. lemon concentrate
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Soften cream cheese in microwave. Mix cream cheese and egg thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Microwave on High for 2 minutes.

Should figure to about 3 - 3.5 grams of carbs for the whole thing.

I add blueberries to this and it's SO good!

This was a delicious recipe. My DH loved it & I just cooked my kids portions without the mustard sauce & they loved it, too.

PORK CHOPS DIJON
INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
2 tablespoons low-calorie Italian salad dressing
¼ teaspoon pepper
4 pork loin chops, cut ½-inch thick
(1¼ pounds total)
Nonstick spray coating
1 medium onion, halved and sliced

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl combine mustard, Italian dressing, and pepper; set aside.

Trim excess fat from chops. Spray a 10-inch skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork chops and brown on both sides. Remove chops from skillet.

Add onion to skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes. Push onion aside; return chops to skillet. Spread mustard mixture over chops. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes or till pork is no longer pink. Serve onion over pork chops.

Makes 4 servings.

TIME
Preparation Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 15 min.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING:
25g protein
2g carbohydrate
14g fat
80mg cholesterol
390mg sodium
421mg potassium

Hey, Ray! and anyone else looking for something super simple, oh-so-tasty, and even fit for serving company . . . here's another one from lowcarbfriends.com. It is sooooo good! I discovered it about a week and a half ago, and I've already made it twice. It's that good! I haven't tried the Mexican version, yet, but I'm sure it's just as good. Enjoy!

Steph's Yummy Chicken Stuff

When this went into the family recipe book (my Mom published one for the reunion this summer), we called this Steph's Smothered Chicken. But around our house, it's just "Yummy chicken stuff." Creative, aren't we?

2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
1/3 c. sour cream
1/3 c. mayo
1/2 packet dry hidden valley dressing mix
1-2 T. heavy cream (optional)
3-4 cans of sliced mushrooms, or fresh
1/4 c. (or more) grated parmesan cheese

Place thawed (a little frozen yet still works) chicken breasts in a single layer in a baking dish. Spread mushrooms over the chicken, trying to keep them on the chicken. Mix together sour cream, mayo, dressing mix, and cream until blended. Place large dollups of the mixture on each breast, then spread it out so that it covers all meat and mushrooms. Sprinkle grated cheese on top until covered (the more cheese, the more "crusty" it gets). Bake at 375 until top is starting to get orange-brown and crusty - about 45-60 minutes.

Using a metal spatula, serve onto a plate, trying to keep the yummy stuff on top of each breast intact. The chicken will be very juicy and the stuff on top is very yummy, hence our name for it!

Things not to do:

I (Steph) once tried to make this into a casserole by dicing up the chicken first. I ended up with tough little pieces of chicken that were not very juicy. The shredded (fancy) parmesan cheese, instead of the grated, turns to little hard shards when browned that stab you as you try to eat it, or if not as browned, are still too "crunchy."

This is without a doubt the most popular recipe on the PP site! I've never heard of anyone who doesn't love it. This is one I've had requests for, too, again by non-LCers! There are lots of variations, including a Mexican one!

Steph's Yummy Chicken Stuff - Mexican Version

6 boned and skinned chicken breast halves
1/3 c. sour cream
1/3 c. mayonnaise
1 t. cumin powder
3 T. Tabasco green pepper sauce
2 T. heavy cream
3 cans mushroom stems and pieces -- drained
4 oz. green chiles
1/4 c. shredded Colby-Jack cheese

Place chicken breasts in a single layer baking dish. Spread mushrooms and chiles over the chicken, trying to keep them on the chicken. Mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, cumin, tabasco sauce and cream until blended. Place large dollops of the mixture on each breast, then spread it out so that it covers all meat and mushrooms. Sprinkle cheese on top until covered. Bake at 375 until the top is starting to get brown and crusty, about 45-60 minutes.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 256 Calories; 14g Fat (50.4% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 83mg Cholesterol; 324mg Sodium

Mock Honey-Mustard Sauce

3 Tbls Mayo
1-2 tsp mustard
1/8 tsp paprika
1 pkt Splenda

Mix all ingredients together
Chill until ready to serve

This sauce is GREAT with the chicken finger recipe that is posted on page 4!!;)

DH is having to watch his fat intake due to cholesterol and we are both watching our carbs. It's really hard to find recipes that will work for dinner for both of us, and taste good enough that the teens won't rebel. ;) Keep the good ideas coming. I'll share when I've found some things that are "share-worthy".

I did notice that www.recipegoldmine has a low carb page. I haven't checked them out yet, but there might be some things you could use.

Can you have cheese during induction?

I have been eating cheese, and I have lost 2 pounds since Monday (when I started) and now im reading some recipes and wondering what I can have during induction.

I have been mostly eating Hamburger, chicken, and steak.
I had Seafood salad today and deviled eggs for a snack.
Plus I have been eating Tomato and Mozzarella sliced with Balsamic Vinagerette.

I hope I have been doing everything right!!! What a waste it would be if I werent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter