Lots of CP Questions!

lfama

DISBride '10
My boyfriend and I are interested in the CP, and we have a lot of questions for people who are in it/have participated in it!

1. What are the chances that we could have living arrangements in the same floor/building?
2. Are there people like RA's that watch over you, or are you basically free to do whatever you want?
3. Do rooms come w/ a computer & internet access?
4. Does each person in an apartment get their own room, or do they put more people in an apartment then bedrooms?
5. How do they determine which job to give to you?
6. I heard that rent gets deducted from your check - how often do you pay for rent? Weekly, or monthly?
7. Do you have a lot of free time, how many hours do they generally make you work, and do they let you request off easily?
8. Your opinion: Does participating in the program make you sick of WDW or cause the magic of WDW to be lost?

I think that's it! I know, I'm a nutcase. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

1. What are the chances that we could have living arrangements in the same floor/building?
----------
It all depends on what avalible when you arrive, you can ask if you check-in, but it may or may not happen.

2. Are there people like RA's that watch over you, or are you basically free to do whatever you want?
----------
There used to be RCA's (same thing as RA) when I was on the program. And they were part of the Adance Intern. program, but since then that has gone away. But there is security at each complex 24 hours a day to keep you inline :P

----------------
Rooms do have internet accesss now (didnt when I was there) but you must bring your own computer. There is a computer lab at each complex however

4. Does each person in an apartment get their own room, or do they put more people in an apartment then bedrooms?
------------------------
Each Bedroom will hold two students. (ie 3 bedroom apartment, 6 people living there... 4 bedroom, 8 people)

5. How do they determine which job to give to you?
-----------------
As for Role, what ever the recruiter thinks you would be best fitted for during your interview/whats avalible..... as for location ummmm.... Luck of the draw???? what ever is needed when you get there.

6. I heard that rent gets deducted from your check - how often do you pay for rent? Weekly, or monthly?
--------------------
It does "magicly" come out of your paycheck each week

7. Do you have a lot of free time, how many hours do they generally make you work, and do they let you request off easily?
------------
You work at least 35 hours a week (even more during peek weeks), which is generaly 5 days a week.... so you will mostly have 2 days free a week. As for requests (called ADOs... authorized days off), you are at the bottom of the list for requests off. Full-timers and part-timers get first dibs.... but it is not unheard of to get the days off your request

8. Your opinion: Does participating in the program make you sick of WDW or cause the magic of WDW to be lost?

nope.... i'm even more addicted now :earboy2:

I would like to say something about the hours. depending on your role depends on your hours. like where i work (innoventions) i am getting less hours on the busy weeks and more on the slow ones. but my room mates are in food and they are getting like 50+ hours on the busy weeks and 30-35 hours on the slow ones. Disney only says that you will get 30 hours a week not 35. but you can always pick up more hours :)

EPCOTgrl1 said:
Disney only says that you will get 30 hours a week not 35. but you can always pick up more hours :)

yep.. i stand corrected...... From the offical wdw cp site's FAQ http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap/its/mimes/zh_wdwcp/students/frameset/content/faqs/faqs_working.html

Participants are guaranteed a schedule of 30 hours per week with a maximum of 45 hours per week. However, during busy seasons, participants could be requested to work more hours per week (the College Education Courses are on hiatus during this time period).
Participants are expected to work the hours they are scheduled; additional hours or days may not be available or optional.

I had enough hours when I was there to get me by (I did foods). I also had enough free time to have fun :-)

lfama said:
My boyfriend and I are interested in the CP, and we have a lot of questions for people who are in it/have participated in it!

I think that's it! I know, I'm a nutcase. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!
just to elaborate on a few of these:
2. no there is no RA. Yes security is there, but if you're not making a ruckus and no one is complaining about you chances are you'll only ever see security when you enter/exit the property. I lived in the closest building to security and they only came to my apt once (cuz my roomate neglected to shut the door in the middle of the night)+

3. Apartments, not rooms have computer access. They were putting in high speed connections in as I left. The comp lab is a big fat waste of time, imho, computers were mind numbingly slow.

4. you are assigned an apartment, not a room. You decide when you get there what room to actually use. In Vista, in the 3 bedroom apts one bedroom had its own bathroom whille the other 2 rooms shared a bathroom. If you want that room, you better get there early. I was the first in my apt and got that room

7. hours depend on your location. I was merch at the MK and I usually had 35-40 hours during slow times, and as many as 50+ during busy times. Expect to work at least a few 6 day weeks. And keep in my mind that as a cp you're lowest on the food chain, so you'll get mostly closings, which means if you're at MK or MGM you could be there pretty late at night.

8. I don't think it diminshed my love at all for Disney, it was fascinating to see all of the behind the scenes action and makes me appreciate things more when I go as a guest now!

I hope I didn't say anything to make you shy aways from the program, but I think it's important that you know what you're getting into. I didn't and was a little discombobulated at first. It's a wonderful experince and you'll have a great time. Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions! :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter