• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Losing Control!!!!!

If your anniversary isnt until next year you have plenty of time to convince him to let you plan it :)

So, DH and I had our first family trip to the world in May of this year and he has finally seen my "Disney Craziness". I planned the entire trip with his blessing. I am a planner....him....not so much. Anyway, After about 10 min in the park, DH looked at me and said this is where we are coming for our anniversary next year (10 years!!!). We have decided to do this sans kiddo this trip and we just told her today we are going. Well, DH decided to add another surprise to the mix......HE is planning the anniversary trip and it will all be a surprise to me. AHHHHHH, OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! He said I may not even know where we are staying...not sure I like this idea.....

Again, I am a major planner, he is not...suggestions on how I can cope? I already stressed the importance of dining ressies and possibly FP+, I just am so worried....HELP!!!!!!

WOW! That is super sweet! In theory, LOL!!! :rotfl: Me being the complete and utter control freak that I am, I could NEVER, EVER let that fly! LOL!!!!

But seriously, I think it's awesome he wants to do it. Bite your tongue and let him... with gentle encouragement a long the way of course, ha ha!!! :laughing:

This is very sweet, but I agree with others who have said that my own enjoyment of the trip comes as much from planning as from actually doing the trip. I would want to find out if he wants to plan the trip in order to take that burden off of you (in which case, explain that it's part of the fun) or if he wants to have fun planning some surprises for you (in which case I would let him have that fun!)

Either way, you'll have a great time - enjoy!!!!

SO COOL!!! Have fun.

I absolutely LOVE the planning process but when I go to WDW I like to take things as they come and use the plan as a guide.

Well, in Aug. of 2011 my DH and I went on our first WDW trip together. It was his first trip EVER! As soon as we landed it was clear that he was a master planner even though he didn't do too much pre-planning.

Now, for our upcoming trip he planned the WHOLE trip and I must say the plan is better than anything I would have come up with.

So your DH might just surprise you and it might be a fun change of pace.

Happy Anniversary!!! Congrats and have a blast in WDW!!!

I think this is very sweet. I would show my hubby the websites I use for recommended days, resort pictures, and resturant menus. I would give him some hints about where you would like to stay and somethings you might like to do. Other than that, I would step back and let him take the lead. Let him know if he has any questions or needs help, he can always ask you. I personally would be delighted if my hubby did this for me. My hubby is never interested in the details. He is just like you go ahead and plan it and tell me where I need to show up.

I love, love, love my husband.....but I would be 100 times more stressed if I didn't do the planning. I would stress from now until then, wondering what time are our meals, where did he book, what parks what days, I would be freaking out.....now obviously I am the planning type and need to know what's going on, while my husband is the "wing it" type and goes with the flow.

too many WDW trips to mention, 2007 Wonder Concierge, January 2013 Wonder Concierge, WDW AKL Concierge Nov 2013, March 2014 Walter E. Disney Suite (finally!!!!)

OP, I feel your pain. On the one hand you have a DH who not only loved his previous WDW trip, but he loves it enough to go again AND take charge of the planning. That's a good thing. On the other hand, you have to give up control. BTDT.

So let him do his thing. THIS time. If he royally screws up, then you can take back the reins for future trips. If all goes well, then maybe you can do joint planning in the future. (That was NOT a reference to the weed thread elsewhere on the board :smokin:).

There's no rule that says you can't still haunt all your favourite Disney sites in the mean time, right?;)

My DH planned our 10th anniversary trip as a surprise to me. He did a great job, although I found out about it a couple days before we left. He even arranged for me to have the time off work!

He used TGM (which was a great site at the time), made ADRs at places we had never been before, and got tickets and costumes for the Pirate and Princess Party (which is also no longer). . I enjoy trip planning, but he obviously does too and put quite a bit of thought into it.

Enjoy!

hey, us men know how to plan! :cool1: Seems like alot of sexist female planners out there that doubt us though! :rotfl2: I have planned all 18 of our trips to the world and even had 2 totally surprise trips for the wife. However, I would love to have her plan one and go with blinders on :smokin:!
Big thing to remember though is just as you like it when your plans work out and hate it when they sputter, be patient and enjoy the plans he makes. :)

hey, us men know how to plan! :cool1: Seems like alot of sexist female planners out there that doubt us though! :rotfl2: I have planned all 18 of our trips to the world and even had 2 totally surprise trips for the wife. However, I would love to have her plan one and go with blinders on :smokin:!
Big thing to remember though is just as you like it when your plans work out and hate it when they sputter, be patient and enjoy the plans he makes. :)

I don't think it is a matter of being "sexist" or someone that "doubts" their significant other. I think it has to do with the fact that planning is such a huge part of a Disney trip (whether it is WDW or DLR) and can be just as fun as going. I completely trust my DH if he wanted to take control and plan the entire trip, however, I would miss that part of it (I look forward to the planning). My DH knows how much I enjoy the planning stages of our trips that is why he will put his suggestions in (which I always make sure we do), but I am the one that reads the DIS constantly and any other site or book that comes along :goodvibes. Also, I have a lot more time to do the research since my DH works 40+ hours in a week, therefore he is thankful he has someone like me to do the grunt work and all he has to do is get us to the airport and back :thumbsup2.

I love to plan...if the plan goes bad, we abandon and park hop or whatever! However,I am a pretty good planner.

6 trips in 14 months. Lots of dining and park hopping to map out! LOL

Couple of observations:

You are going, without kids, to celebrate your wedding anniversary. Do you really want to spend all your time doing things, or maybe spend more time together, alone, being romantic??? :cloud9: Romance time (to me) does not include fastpassing Space Mountain LOL. If DH and I could go to WDW alone, I don't know how much park time we would even do. We'd spend our time relaxing, eating out at lovely restaurants and enjoying our time together, walking around and holding hands in our favorite place in the world.

If you are worried about what type of plans he is going to make, then give him the list of resources - websites, best park days, maybe drop a few hints about hotels that you would LOVE to stay in. I always recommend Old Key West 1BR for a romantic getaway. Beautiful grounds, laid back feel, and a 2 person jacuzzi ;)

I agree with other posters who said this is not your last trip. Make this one different and special and romantic and let him do it all! :goodvibes

If you don't let him do his thing, you could end up with a situation where he never plans any surprises for fear they won't meet your approval. I mean, why bother if you aren't ever going to be good enough.

I'd let him plan, who knows, he may be great at it!

Couple of observations:

You are going, without kids, to celebrate your wedding anniversary. Do you really want to spend all your time doing things, or maybe spend more time together, alone, being romantic??? :cloud9: Romance time (to me) does not include fastpassing Space Mountain LOL. If DH and I could go to WDW alone, I don't know how much park time we would even do. We'd spend our time relaxing, eating out at lovely restaurants and enjoying our time together, walking around and holding hands in our favorite place in the world.

If you are worried about what type of plans he is going to make, then give him the list of resources - websites, best park days, maybe drop a few hints about hotels that you would LOVE to stay in. I always recommend Old Key West 1BR for a romantic getaway. Beautiful grounds, laid back feel, and a 2 person jacuzzi ;)

I agree with other posters who said this is not your last trip. Make this one different and special and romantic and let him do it all! :goodvibes
Exactly! ITA.

And for goodness sake ... whatever you do, once you get to WDW for your anniversary, do NOT one time ever no matter WHAT say to him, "If you just would have let me plan this, we wouldn't have to wait this long" or "I can't believe you have us going to MK on an EMH day!" Never. No matter what. Don't ... just ... don't. :goodvibes

:earsboy:

So, DH and I had our first family trip to the world in May of this year and he has finally seen my "Disney Craziness". I planned the entire trip with his blessing. I am a planner....him....not so much. Anyway, After about 10 min in the park, DH looked at me and said this is where we are coming for our anniversary next year (10 years!!!). We have decided to do this sans kiddo this trip and we just told her today we are going. Well, DH decided to add another surprise to the mix......HE is planning the anniversary trip and it will all be a surprise to me. AHHHHHH, OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! He said I may not even know where we are staying...not sure I like this idea.....

Again, I am a major planner, he is not...suggestions on how I can cope? I already stressed the importance of dining ressies and possibly FP+, I just am so worried....HELP!!!!!!

I know it was your first trip and you planned it out to the max. But why not, for the second trip, to let you devoted husband do it for you? You've been married 10 years, he should know what you want/need and even if he doesn't why not just go for it?

My husband and I just got back for the Fourth of July weekend. We had such an amazing time at Animal Kingdom with *gulp* NO planning. Back at the hotel room, we marveled at how just wonderful the day was. We were together, we were tired, we saw tons of things, many more than we thought we would and we were content.

And we've been married 31 years.

Relax and enjoy. Make some suggestions but don't overwhelm. He's doing this for a reason - because you are his partner for the rest of his life and he wants to do something nice for you. Please don't spoil that for him.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the encouragement!!! I am going to just go along with it and I have told him if he needs help with anything, either hit up the DIS, or ask me! I have been to Disney more times than I can remember...he has been a few...so we will see. As many of you pointed out, I am in Disney, so it cant be that bad right?? :banana:

Thanks again!!

Exactly! ITA.

And for goodness sake ... whatever you do, once you get to WDW for your anniversary, do NOT one time ever no matter WHAT say to him, "If you just would have let me plan this, we wouldn't have to wait this long" or "I can't believe you have us going to MK on an EMH day!" Never. No matter what. Don't ... just ... don't. :goodvibes

:earsboy:

I have been married almost 10 years...I know better than to utter those words :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter