• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Losing Control!!!!!

theEncode

Mouseketeer
So, DH and I had our first family trip to the world in May of this year and he has finally seen my "Disney Craziness". I planned the entire trip with his blessing. I am a planner....him....not so much. Anyway, After about 10 min in the park, DH looked at me and said this is where we are coming for our anniversary next year (10 years!!!). We have decided to do this sans kiddo this trip and we just told her today we are going. Well, DH decided to add another surprise to the mix......HE is planning the anniversary trip and it will all be a surprise to me. AHHHHHH, OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! He said I may not even know where we are staying...not sure I like this idea.....

Again, I am a major planner, he is not...suggestions on how I can cope? I already stressed the importance of dining ressies and possibly FP+, I just am so worried....HELP!!!!!!

So, DH and I had our first family trip to the world in May of this year and he has finally seen my "Disney Craziness". I planned the entire trip with his blessing. I am a planner....him....not so much. Anyway, After about 10 min in the park, DH looked at me and said this is where we are coming for our anniversary next year (10 years!!!). We have decided to do this sans kiddo this trip and we just told her today we are going. Well, DH decided to add another surprise to the mix......HE is planning the anniversary trip and it will all be a surprise to me. AHHHHHH, OH NO!!!!!!!!!!! He said I may not even know where we are staying...not sure I like this idea.....

Again, I am a major planner, he is not...suggestions on how I can cope? I already stressed the importance of dining ressies and possibly FP+, I just am so worried....HELP!!!!!!

You'll probably have more fun.

Have faith in him, let him have the feeling of pride in pleasing you sometimes giving up control and responsibilities can bring great rewards :thumbsup2

OMG i don't think i would let my hubby-actually I think he would get a few minutes into doing it and hand me the reigns(that is what I would hope) He surprised me with going to Disney for our 25th in Sept but let me do all the planning AHHH! Thats the way I would like it. I am so excited

I planned our first trip together to WDW, hubby planned the second...we are both planning this one. (he did the resturants, I'm planning the park days.)

His trip was fine - we only had one 40 minute wait for a ride, but I never would have went to that park that day because it was a 'not reccomended' park...our restaurant ADRs were so close together and we were jumping around a lot more...

but we are both planners...he focuses waaay to much on food...Also he planned our first day not to use a park ticket and just go to MNSSHP - which made me antsy...but it actually worked out. Also on our actual anniversary, he had us scheduled doing things apart...(I went to aqua seas tour and he went golfing!) But it was a good day to relax apart after many days of being tied at the hip.

The trip was fine - we did everything we wanted, and it was much less stressful for me.

This year, I planned the park days and we are going on all 'reccomended days'...We have only one set of ADRs that are close together, it's Crystal Palace and BOG and I'm just glad we have BOG at all.

I would do what I did...give him the basic tools like Tourguide Mike (if it's actually being updated...) or Touring Plans or EasyWDW...just explain the important stuff...

And then do the most painful thing possible...close your eyes and walk away. :)

I LOVE IT! That is so sweet! Yes, sit back and relax. It may not be the trip you would have planned, but let him do this for you. Really, really sweet!

You could point him in the direction of these boards when he needs advice or has questions.

You're going to WDW, so you'll have a great time regardless.

Like you said, planning is a lot of fun--let your guy enjoy it this time. :)

It's an awesome gesture on his part.

You could tell him how much fun you have planning though, and that you would love it if you could plan together. :goodvibes It's worth a shot.

Speaking as a researcher/planner myself, I would lose some of the anticipation and thrill not knowing what was going to come next. (if I weren't planning it)

Although, I gotta say I let my wife 100% plan our cruise in January '12 and we had an amazing:thumbsup2 time with the two other couples we cruised with.

Dan

I have to say, from my point of view this sounds terrifying :rotfl: It reminds me of those TV shows where they let the groom plan the wedding lol.

I'd definitely point him to here, or perhaps someone else in your family/social circle that has some Disney experience and could help?

How exciting and fun. Me personally, I don't know if I could handle my DH planning out a WDW vacation, don't get me wrong I do have faith and trust in him and since we have been going for so many years, he knows what my likes and dislikes are. The thing is, I too am a huge planner when it comes to our WDW trips and it would kill me not to know what is going on (it is part of the fun). In order for DH to pull it off, he would have to not tell me at all about the trip until the day of or he will get a lot of questions thrown at him :rotfl:. Good luck and have a great trip :goodvibes.

He surprised me with going to Disney for our 25th in Sept but let me do all the planning AHHH! Thats the way I would like it. I am so excited

This is exactly what DH is doing for me :goodvibes. DH and both DDs surprised me with a trip to WDW in October for my 40th birthday (my birthday is actually in December but I have been wanting to go to F&W festival for a long time now, but never could in the past). A couple of weeks ago they all came up to me and said that we are going to WDW for an early B-day present but I had to come up with the restaurants that I want to eat at and where I would like to stay, plus anything else I would like to do too. I was blown away and so happy that I was still able to plan out our trip (with the help of my DDs of course), even though it is 3 months away :scared1: :goodvibes.

This is exactly what DH is doing for me :goodvibes. DH and both DDs surprised me with a trip to WDW in October for my 40th birthday (my birthday is actually in December but I have been wanting to go to F&W festival for a long time now, but never could in the past). A couple of weeks ago they all came up to me and said that we are going to WDW for an early B-day present but I had to come up with the restaurants that I want to eat at and where I would like to stay, plus anything else I would like to do too. I was blown away and so happy that I was still able to plan out our trip (with the help of my DDs of course), even though it is 3 months away :scared1: :goodvibes.
That sound wonderful.I hope you have a great time. My GF and I want to do disney for our b'days(her 50th and my 60th in a couple years) Disney and celebrations go so well together

Wow, that sounds great! You did such a wonderful job that he wants to do the same for you. I would just relax and let him do this, it will be fun.

I know for me planning is part of the fun but maybe your DH has discovered that too. Remember it will not be your last trip and as an avid planner you will know what to do when you get to the parks even if he has chosen a non recommened park for the day. Give the guy some credit for wanting to do this and a chance that he might do an amazing job
We have gone to the parks with no pre planning using no crowd calanders and had great trips and if its all going **** up when you are there you can jump on and check calanders and possibly switch around ADR's if you really have too.

What a sweet DH! I am the planner in our house, and like you, the planning and anticipation provides me with months of pre-travel joy. To me, this is a huge extension of vacation value - LOL.

I would have a SINGLE serious conversation with him, explaining that the research and planning are very, very enjoyable components of YOUR vacation experience. It is possible that he may see it all as a heavy burden and he is offering what he thinks would be a welcome break for you.

If he is still determined, he may have some "special touches" in mind. Don't rob him of the opportunity to sweep you off your feet all over again. Or perhaps he'd like to share the planning of alternate days with you, but keep the surprise elements to himself.

However it works out, I hope that your 10th anniversary trip is 100% magical.

I think it would make me so sad. :worried:

I think I love planning Disney as much as I loved when we went. It helps me with anticipation and the joy of the trip.

But, if this were my husband, and he wanted to do this for me, I would let him. I would force myself to sit back and enjoy the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter