LOSE BEFORE YOU CRUISE - Support Thread for all Cruisers

It's been great reading about everyone's ideas, progress, and motivation :thumbsup2

I have a pretty high goal, but I'm going to try...
I started a diet almost three months ago. My starting weight was 265 and I'm currently 241. It has basically been just calorie counting. My job requires me to stand/walk for most of the day so I get a decent amount of exercise that way, although I will probably need to increase my activity soon. My goal weight is 185 by the time my wife, son and I take our Oct 10th 2015 Disney cruise. That's a lot, but I'm hoping small steps between now and then will help me get there. If I break it down, that is approximately 1 lb a week between now and then. Doesn't sound so bad when its put that way ;)

I know weight loss is different for everyone. I'm not a fan of diets - I tried many in the past, and just gained more weight each time. I opted for a lifestyle change which has made all of the difference.

I found the more I obsessed with counting calories, obsessing about what I could and couldn't eat and being so focused on losing weight, it always backfired and I would lose/gain/lose/gain.

I gained a lot of weight this past winter - it was so long, and cold and I just didn't take care of myself. I was so focused on losing weight (for my cruise this summer!), trying to eat better, work out, etc and I wasn't losing anything!! So frustrating. I had spent a solid month sick - sinus infection followed by two really bad head colds. I was sick of being sick, and realized I just wanted to get healthy. I switched my focus from losing weight to improving my health. I decided to follow a clean eating way of life and committed to practicing yoga four times a week. Not only did I feel great, but the weight peeled off. I loved my new way of eating and although I have adopted most foods back into my diet, I eat way less, my appetite is under control and I don't have any cravings!

I think the key is you need to be mentally prepared and "ready" to lose weight and get healthy and you really need to find physical activities you really truly enjoy. I love yoga, power walking and hiking. I know that the gym makes me miserable, running is NOT my thing and neither is boot camp. You have to love what you are doing, otherwise it's just "work" just like anything else in life :)

Good luck everyone - you can do it!! :cheer2:

It's been great reading about everyone's ideas, progress, and motivation :thumbsup2

I have a pretty high goal, but I'm going to try...
I started a diet almost three months ago. My starting weight was 265 and I'm currently 241. It has basically been just calorie counting. My job requires me to stand/walk for most of the day so I get a decent amount of exercise that way, although I will probably need to increase my activity soon. My goal weight is 185 by the time my wife, son and I take our Oct 10th 2015 Disney cruise. That's a lot, but I'm hoping small steps between now and then will help me get there. If I break it down, that is approximately 1 lb a week between now and then. Doesn't sound so bad when its put that way ;)
Great job!! only 1 lb. a week is very doable and not overwhelming. Keep it up!!

Reading all these posts are so encouraging. I went on our first DCL cruise in November of 2013 and was at the highest weight that I've been at. I would love to lose 30-40 pounds before we embark on our 2nd cruise...11/29/15 Magic.

Reading all these posts are so encouraging. I went on our first DCL cruise in November of 2013 and was at the highest weight that I've been at. I would love to lose 30-40 pounds before we embark on our 2nd cruise...11/29/15 Magic.

Jessica

I saw this group and thought this would be great for my husband and I. We are planning on going on a cruise July 1,2015 with our boys. It will be our first cruise ever for all 4 of us. So we have a little over a year to lose something. For me all I ask is motivation to keep me going. If any one can help that would be awesome. Thanks again !!!

Our cruise is 14 months away and I want to lost about 30lbs before then! With the holidays right around the corner, I want to get started now with healthy eating habits! Hoping that this thread can give me some great motivation!

AJ pixiedust:

When we went on our first Disney cruise back in 2012, this thread helped me so much! So, I'm back! We are going to be sailing on the February 20th 2016 Fantasy cruise!! I'm so excited! This time we will be celebrating my accomplishing the Disney Enchanted 10k!

I have gained 25 lbs since we cruised two years ago and I would like to lose that again. My eating habits have unfortunately taken a turn for the worse and breaking these habits is HARD!

I have started my training for the 10K WAY early to try and get me into "Healthy Lifestyle" thinking.

I am going to start training to run a 5K again
I plan to drink more water and eat clean.
I love yoga so I am going to yoga classes and I love biking so I plan to bike more to. I am planning to lose 25 pounds.
I don't want to hate every pic I see of myself like I do from our trip to Vero beach.

Its good to see these encouraging posts- I am starting my pre-cruise weight loss now. Keep it up everyone.

Count me in!!! I have put on weight since the last cruise, had a few health issues (chronic kidney infection and occipital neuralgia that had me bedridden)..if I can't walk, I can't lose...but finally, we have a chanceto sail again! My dh was able to turn in unused vacation hours so we can afford it IF the right IGT rate comes out, which I feel CERTAIN it will!

Our cruise is May 3rd on Magic..so that gives me 4.5 months to lose about 50 pounds..it's aggressive, but I am certain I can do it!! I was only 25 pounds from my goal weight the last cruise and now I'm 50...I know I can get this done! I am using the guidelines of no sugar/white flour and substituting spinach smoothies or non creamy soups for atleast one meal a day...I eat something every 2 hours (usually fruit or fresh veggie/nuts) and drink a glass of lemon water before each meal...at least I aim to, I'm also trying to toss diet dr. peppers for good...

The cruise is going to be my motivator! I want to walk on board in a size 10! I know I can get there! :) Good luck to everyone...I know how hard it is to lose these pounds, have done it several times over and ready for it to stick..

I'm in too!! Cruise in April and the thought of hiding behind the camera haunts me :( I so need some motivation to get going. I know I can drop weight quickly when I put my mind to it... just acn't seem to get going. It is so cold and dreary at home in MA; makes it hard to get outside. I have a treadmill but need a support group to get me going!
Glad to see there are people on here with similar goals and timetables.

I have 22 pounds. Its nice to have a goal to work toward. I just want to be comfortable in a bathing suit and not have everything fall out.

I'm doing fitbit to keep track of my steps and cut way back on bread, pasta and sweets. So far 7lbs. lost!

I have 22 pounds. Its nice to have a goal to work toward. I just want to be comfortable in a bathing suit and not have everything fall out.

I'm doing fitbit to keep track of my steps and cut way back on bread, pasta and sweets. So far 7lbs. lost!

Awesome job:thumbsup2 I wanted to loose some weight for my cruise in October also and got the best Xmas present the garmin vivosmart. Like the fitbit it tracks my steps during the day. Best part is it seems like everyone at work got them so it is a constant contest to get the most step.

Best of luck

Awesome job:thumbsup2 I wanted to loose some weight for my cruise in October also and got the best Xmas present the garmin vivosmart. Like the fitbit it tracks my steps during the day. Best part is it seems like everyone at work got them so it is a constant contest to get the most step.

Best of luck

How fun! It is better to do the steps with a group! I didn't get as many in today. I hope to make up for it tomorrow. Best of luck to you too!

Hello everyone! My son and I are going on our first cruise in November. I need to lose a total of 90 pounds; but, realistically, I'm wanting to be about 70 pounds down by cruise date. I've lost 4 pounds in past 6 days, so far. I feel very motivated to do this!!! I hope to be able to come back here every 10 pounds to report progress. Hope to see all good results and welcome ideas from others, as well. Wishing all of us Good Luck!!

Hi Everyone :goodvibes

So we've reserved (waiting on paychecks) our cruise for August 22nd...the day before my 40th birthday. Not that turning 40 wasn't enough of a motivator...now I have a cruise to look "good" for. Well actually, it's more about being in shape to do all the excursions.

Ideally overall I'd like to lose about 80 lbs. This, of course, isn't exactly ideal within the 6 1/2 months I have to go until the cruise. But I definitely want to get fitter and stronger by then...so if I can get 40-50 down that'd be great.

My problem? I'm a transcriptionist. I work all day sitting down. And I only get paid by how much I type...so I'm picking up extra shifts left and right to pay for the cruise. Yesterday alone I spent from 7 am -12 pm and 1 pm-10 pm just sitting typing (except for the dinner break and a rare ladies room break). Doesn't exactly leave much room for working out :sad2:

So it'll be a balancing act for sure, but hopefully by participating with you folks and checking in I'll at least drop something. If nothing else by perhaps curbing stress eating.

I'm hoping to at least walk for about 20 minutes at the gym tonight. It's a start :)

Have a wonderful day :cheer2:

I was thinking about this last night. Our cruise is in September. I am about 60lbs overweight. I have been at this weight about 8 years. The majority of cruise I have been on have been during this timeframe. I have decided to shoot for an obtainable goal. Therefore if I lose more great. I would love to lose 30lbs. I will still be thinner than our last cruises.

Jumping on following this thread too as I love to hear success stories and share ideas on how you got there.

We're cruising again Sept 10, 2016 and my wife is working towards losing about 50lb by then (or more) I've been on a great program now for 2 years, workouts, eating, supplements and have lost over 60lb myself.

Keep up the great work everyone! We're all friends here and rooting for eachother :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter