L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante - questions/opinions pls!

Booknut

<font color=green>I couldn't figure out why people
Hi,

DH and I love Italian food but have heard conflicting reports of this restaurant. I love the look of the menu (especially the Pasta e Fagioli and the Fettucine Alfredo of course) but wanted to hear from those of you who have had dinner there, is the food as good as some of the photos suggest?! Would you recommend it? Or should we use our dining plan elsewhere?

If we don't go here we'll go to the Coral Reef.

Thanks for your opinions,

Eloise

We LOVED the fettucini alfredo, but felt everything else was just okay. I would go there again just to have that. Check out the reviews here or on allears for more information.

I also love italian food. Althought the food was good (not great) I probably won't eat here again. The tables are close together and the service is so so. When I checked in no one told me where to wait so we stepped outside. After about 15 minutes I went to check and the greeter said we never go outside for guests. Well someone should have told me that. I also felt the wait staff was putting on a show, the waiter seemed in a hurry and the bus boy flirted and would then have the waiter yell at him in Italian.

On the other hand we ate at the Coral Reef for lunch because last year it was 2TS and paid out of pocket. It was the best meal of the trip for us. I had the blackened catfish with pepper cheese grits and it was the most delicous thing I think I have ever eaten. My husband had the special of the day (can't remember what it was) but was very happy with it.

:bored: This place is so CROWDED~! People tryting to sit at the table next to ours crashed their behinds into our table - not very appetizing! And they were of average size. The service was :furious: . It was like they were put out to wait tables - Hello, that is the position you are in! :rolleyes1 The food was nothing to rave about either. :confused3 Would go with Mama Melrose or Tony's Town Square for Italian. :wave:

I would choose Coral Reef over Alfredos. I honestly thought the fettucini alfredo was too rich to eat, and I love cream, butter, cheese, rich foods, etc. The tomato-based pasta sauces were too sweet for our taste. The room is pretty though.

We had a good experience at Alfredos. We went for lunch in June. We were seated in the little room off to the side. There was only one other family in there. Maybe that is where they stick families? Although my girls were about 9 and 12, so not toddlers.

Our food was good. The four of us shared 2 pizza appetizers, the tri-pasta sampler entree and a kids spaghtetti and meatballs. Plus we had 2 desserts. It was all yummy!!

I was surprised at how empty the place was considering it was June.

Maggie

We've eaten at Alfredo's several times, the service has always been good or excellent, we've never had any problems with it there. As far as food, it's always been good enough to want to come back or excellent- I always get the fettucini alfredo and love it.

Since it was mentioned, we just ate at the Coral Reef this past trip. The ambiance was awesome!!! However, the waiter was only ok and for the most part the food was ok, but nothing spectacular imho- although my brother also had the blackened catfish and said it was one of the best meals he's ever had at Disney.

Would we go back to Alfredo's? Definitely. Coral reef? Maybe, but definitely more for the atmosphere than the food or service.

The tables are so crammed in together that you are closer to the guy at the next table than your dining partner.

The food always leaves a lot to be desired, and I like Italian-Italian and American-Italian.

I've always found the servers to be nice.

There is an Olive Garden close to WDW that serves better food. And it is cheaper, too.

I replied to thread quite some time ago about alfredo's it seemed split down the middle --- there were a couple of us who stated we came from large italian families that loved alfredos-- the loudness didint bother us b/c we were used to weekly sunday dinners at grandmoms....with all the relatives!

i like the way they all sing the italian songs......

i personally love it there- and as far as the flirting goes......i dont mind it at all. :blush:

thats just the way the italian guys are! :thumbsup2

MouseWorshipin said:
There is an Olive Garden close to WDW that serves better food. And it is cheaper, too.

:scared: Blasphemy!

mamma mia! say you hate the restaurant, say you dont like the italian flirting guys....but please, please.....THE OLIVE GARDEN HAS BETTER FOOD!? :faint:

shame :sad2:

:rotfl:

See, now that worries me slightly as I ate at the Olive Garden last year with DH when we were staying in Kissimmee and the food was not that great, it was ok, but not as good as the usual Italian we have in London (and we don't eat in very posh restaurants either!).

Thanks for your opinions, I think we're going to have to eat at both restaurants but i'll do Coral Reef off the dining plan in my second week off-site as what we want to eat there is cheaper!

I don't have much choice really, I saw a photo online somewhere of that Fettucine Alfredo and it looks sooooooooooooo good!

We thought the fettuchini was excellent and unique - it's the real stuff, not that canned cream alfredo sauce found in other italian places. The lasagna was just your basic lasagna.

We were seated in a back room and couldn't even see our neighbor's table much less sit close enough to eat from it. Perhaps in the main dining area they are smushed together? Service was excellent - we sought the manager out at the end just to tell him so.

Would we return? For the alfredo, yes. You can't get it anyplace else that I know of.

I will say that the portions were very small for the price you paid. I'm glad we didn't pay full price for it - I would not have been happy.

OK, I have to ask... DH loves Olive Garden as well as Carrabas and his favorite dish is alfredo. Will he not like this restaurant? Obviously we are not Italian and have never eaten "real" italian. I for one am not big on them because i do not love creamy dishes and would never eat alfredo.

Should we condiser somewhere else or will we both be satisfied with this one?

Thanks!

Well, I guess I won't be much help. We have eaten there twice. The first time, several years ago, we loved it. Thought that the Fettucine was wonderful. We were really excited to go back to eat there this past summer. I don't know if our memory played tricks on us or if we hit a bad night, but it did not live up to what we remembered. I agree with those who talk about it being very crowded. The food was not near as good this last time as before. We are going back to Disney in Aug and did not put this on our list for this visit.

DH and I eat there almost every visit....although, when we ate there one trip, we had last seating reservations....the food was cold, and the service was poor to put it nicely.....they wanted to get home and gave us the bum's rush.....but we've eaten there since that visit, and always enjoy our food and the atmosphere (took DMIL-83 yrs. old in January...she's Italian - first generation American....she enjoyed the meal along with the singing and napkin twirling as we also do!) Just don't make late ADR's!

My DH and I lovethe alfredo. It is a must do for us every trip!

Dh and I ate here on the CP package. I had the salmon and DH had the Fettucine, both were excellent. The service was very good also. We enjoyed the experience very much and will return. In comparison...we do not like Olive Garden and we will NEVER eat at Tony's again, food was over cooked, room was way too noisy, and we were served by the incredible vanishing waiter.

We love good Italian food as well and were really looking forward to this restaurant. I'm sorry to say it was a real disappointment. The room was extremely crowded, we could hear every word of the conversations taking place at the tables around us (just as I'm sure they could hear us), our waiter seemed rushed and was impatient with our questions. Two of us ordered the alfredo and the other two ordered the lasagna. We all ordered salad as appetisers. We had just started on our salads when they brought out the entrees, which ranged in temperature from lukewarm to cold. I sent my alfredo back twice before it was hot enough to eat. My ds and I had the alfredo, and we both found it very rich and rather bitter tasting. My dd and dh had the lasagna, and both declared that it had an "odd" taste. My daughter could only describe it as a "funny, sweet aftertaste." I tasted it and agreed, it was very strange tasting. None of us ate more than a few bites, the waiter never checked to see how our dinners were, and when he came to collect the plates, never inquired as to why we didn't eat the food. He dropped off the bill without asking if we'd like dessert (I guess he figured since we didn't eat the first course, we weren't entitled to dessert. LOL!) All in all, it was the worst dining experience we've had so far in Epcot. Perhaps they were having an off night, as many people seem to enjoy it here, but we will never return. There are too many other wonderful restaurants in the World to enjoy instead. :goodvibes

Aimeedyan said:
We were seated in a back room and couldn't even see our neighbor's table much less sit close enough to eat from it. Perhaps in the main dining area they are smushed together? Service was excellent - we sought the manager out at the end just to tell him so.

Anybody suppose that if we asked for the "back room" or "not the main dining room" they'd put us there/know what we wanted? What do you think---likely to have that request honored? Or would that be unclear about where we preferred to be, even? We have a 6 p.m. ADR on a Sunday in early August.

TIA!!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter