"Loose articles" on Rides question

I had thong sandals on while riding FJ one night after dinner and I had my toes and feet squeezed together so tight, I had visions of losing my sandal and having to walk back to the hotel sans shoes. I didn't make that mistake again.

You're also allowed to take off loose sandals and sit on them.

Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit are the two rides where they are apparently really beginning to enforce the "Nothing whatsoever in your pockets" rule, so if you didn't go on them, you may not have seen that. Last time we were there, the operators on both rides were CONTINUALLY yelling at people already strapped in to not take their phones out to record the ride.

Yep, this. Two stories:

1. Last month, I had the rare privilege of being part of a private VIP tour of Universal. Our guide reinforced at both of these rides that loose articles of any kind were no longer allowed, and she even insisted I remove the camera I was wearing (with belt loop and zippered closure) before riding Hulk. (Of course that was no problem, though I had done it in past years with no issues.)

2. About a week later, riding Hulk again my DD and I waited in the loading area while the ride went down for about 10 minutes. I had assumed it was due to impending weather, but a TM loudly announced over the PA system before restarting that the reason for the delay was that someone had put a phone in their unsecured pocket. He stressed that all items such as phones must be in secured pockets using either buttons, zippers, and I think Velcro. That's a bit different than nothing whatsoever in your pockets, so I don't know which is correct but I think the point is the same.

Last edited:
Yep, this. Two stories:

1. Last month, I had the rare privilege of being part of a private VIP tour of Universal. Our guide reinforced at both of these rides that loose articles of any kind were no longer allowed, and she even insisted I remove the camera I was wearing (with belt loop and zippered closure) before riding Hulk. (Of course that was no problem, though I had done it in past years with no issues.)

2. About a week later, riding Hulk again my DD and I waited in the loading area while the ride went down for about 10 minutes. I had assumed it was due to impending weather, but a CM loudly announced over the PA system before restarting that the reason for the delay was that someone had put a phone in their unsecured pocket. He stressed that all items such as phones must be in secured pockets using either buttons, zippers, and I think Velcro. That's a bit different than nothing whatsoever in your pockets, so I don't know which is correct but I think the point is the same.
That's excellent. Some public shaming to prevent people waiting in line from doing the same bonehead move. I'm glad Universal has the guts to give their CMs the power to do that.

That's excellent. Some public shaming to prevent people waiting in line from doing the same bonehead move. I'm glad Universal has the guts to give their CMs the power to do that.

Yep......we always find TM are usually on the ball........seen far too many people try to sneak things like bags and items by them........why they do this I'll never understand :rolleyes:

Our boat on JP was once stopped suddenly right at the top of the climb because some Muppet didn't think the rules applied to him and tried to keep videoing the ride despite being told not to repeatedly........

I had thong sandals on while riding FJ one night after dinner and I had my toes and feet squeezed together so tight, I had visions of losing my sandal and having to walk back to the hotel sans shoes. I didn't make that mistake again.

Yes! LOL! :) I always sit on my shoes now, after having a similar experience!

Simple answer, observe the rules or what you are told. This can be something being enforced immediately or been for years, their park / their rules. Also for inconsistency that will happen sometimes unless you would like TSA screening or full body search. If you don't want to follow the rules don't ride.

If it's really important for you to ride with items, video your ride, (BTW there are plenty on you tube), or take that all important Facebook selfie, then please go open your own theme park.

Ride responsible.

Thank you.

Simple answer, observe the rules or what you are told. This can be something being enforced immediately or been for years, their park / their rules. Also for inconsistency that will happen sometimes unless you would like TSA screening or full body search. If you don't want to follow the rules don't ride.

If it's really important for you to ride with items, video your ride, (BTW there are plenty on you tube), or take that all important Facebook selfie, then please go open your own theme park.

Ride responsible.

Thank you.

They should post this at the entrance............::yes::

They should post this at the entrance............::yes::

I'm glad you liked it.

I'm not being smart to my fellow diser's, just please observe and follow rules. What happens if you are the victim of a loose article and a family member gets hurt. The whole situation changes. So please,

Ride responsible. Don't hide and ride!

I rode the Mummy, and Dragon's challenge ... that I was all I could handle despite a gravol.

My son was begging to go on the hulk. I seriously contemplated child-swap (the opposite of parent swap lol) taking the kids through the line putting them on the ride and then waiting offline to retrieve them when they got off. Not sure if that is allowed or not but my stomach just could not take it. DH got queasy on FJ so he was not help either lol. Kids are only 7 and 9 so I did not feel comfortable sending them by themselves through the line. I ended up buying them off with a churro : )

little thrill seekers, they are.

Not going on the "absolutely no loose items" rides will change the perspective, that's for sure.

If the kids are big enough to ride the Mummy and Dragon Challenge, they are big enough to go through alone. (at WDW there's an age requirement, of being 7, to go through lines alone assuming of course you hit the height requirement) At Universal if you are 48" and tall enough for the ride in question (the hulk is 54", according to UO's site), they can go on their own.

Of course, everyone has to be comfy with the kids being on the ride alone. If there's a ride stop, will everyone be emotionally OK? Will the kids follow directions? Will YOU be OK? DS is 10 and I cannot emotionally handle the idea of him being alone on such a ride, so I torture myself by going on it with him still.

Not going on the "absolutely no loose items" rides will change the perspective, that's for sure.

If the kids are big enough to ride the Mummy and Dragon Challenge, they are big enough to go through alone. (at WDW there's an age requirement, of being 7, to go through lines alone assuming of course you hit the height requirement) At Universal if you are 48" and tall enough for the ride in question (the hulk is 54", according to UO's site), they can go on their own.

Of course, everyone has to be comfy with the kids being on the ride alone. If there's a ride stop, will everyone be emotionally OK? Will the kids follow directions? Will YOU be OK? DS is 10 and I cannot emotionally handle the idea of him being alone on such a ride, so I torture myself by going on it with him still.

oh dear, I never even considered a ride stop :(

They are tall but young. DS is only 7, DD just turned 9. If it was a jump on/jump off, would not be so bad; but I would not want them left alone 20,30,40 minutes + by themselves. as they walked through the line. my kids are pretty mature and responsible ... I'm the one with the issues : )

You can walk through with them, though. Everyone can go in the lines at universal. From infants to people who cannot or will not ride. Just go on through to the last exit and see them on the other side.

The only rides we've had stops on are simple ones at Disney. Monsters Inc and Roger Rabbit in Anaheim, and toy story at DHS. Never on a big ride. But my imagination is evil and likes to torture me. So I ride the big rides with DS until, one time literally, I cry from fear, and then we are done with the big rides for the day.

Someday DH will be able to ride the big rides and I will be happy. Then I will be the one carrying everything through the lines and making people wonder "why does she get to bring her camera and I didn't?" instead of DH being that guy.

They are taking this very seriously. This was last night at RRR. Also this morning at Hulk not like pictured but still lots of signs and TM's scanning people entering and redirecting people.

I believe at RRR and Hulk they are really in forcing it due to the coaster going over public areas vs other rides in the back ground.

A9AE363D-D5A4-443C-8E90-87E424E419A8.jpg

Quick question - so I understand that now they are strictly enforcing no loose articles on Hulk and RRR, including bumbags... however would I be able to wear a lanyard onto the ride? Need somewhere to put tickets/express pass/etc...

Alternatively would a money belt (worn under clothes, absolutely zero risk of it coming off, also not visible at all) be acceptable?

We go to Universal Studios yearly and have never had a problem with bringing small items on the rides. I carry camera and cell phone in my cargo pants side pockets with Velcro flaps. I would imagine a wristlet could be safe if similarly secured.

if you haven't been in the past month, you'll notice the rules are changed and enforced now..

We go to Universal Studios yearly and have never had a problem with bringing small items on the rides. I carry camera and cell phone in my cargo pants side pockets with Velcro flaps. I would imagine a wristlet could be safe if similarly secured.

If you read the thread it states this is something new that has been coming on for a while now. Yes, from someone that is here 1-2 times a month you used to beable to carry these small items. But not anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter