"Loose articles" on Rides question

fan4wdw

Earning My Ears
Will I be able to keep a small wristlet in my pocket on the rides that require you to put backpacks in lockers? I had read somewhere you were asked to empty your pockets sometimes... If I have to get a locker anyway, I'd like to bring in a bigger bag to fit snacks etc Thanks

It would have to go in a locker.

Not sure you've got the right answers here.

If it can fit in your pocket, I think you can keep it.

Both FJ and Gringott's have the "no loose articles". yet there are numerous people in line with cell phones and cameras. They stick those in their pockets.

I had asked a guy in the locker area if I could keep my messenger back style purse (very small) he said NO. I explained that I wanted to have my camera to take pictures, and he said no problem, I just had to put the camera in a pocket.

One time, I was able to sneak my small messenger bag purse in under my sweatshirt jacket. It was not noticeable, and I had no issues (this was on FJ) except that my purse was off to the side/front over my hip, and the restraint did not fully engage because my purse was in the way. I mean it fully engaged, just not as low as it could have if my purse were not there. I never felt unsafe on the ride, I just didn't like feeling like I could move and didn't do it again.

I did notice others with small string-strap purses like this
http://isbnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/All-1-6a.jpg

Perhaps it was just a lazy attendant but they were allowed to bring it on the ride.

Wristlets are definitely not allowed on rides.

If you try to hide it and a TM sees it they will make you put it in a locker. It's not worth the hassle. The lockers are not much of an issue really. If it's busy head to the very back of the lockers....some people don't look beyond the ones at the front.

Wristlets are definitely not allowed on rides.

If you try to hide it and a TM sees it they will make you put it in a locker. It's not worth the hassle. The lockers are not much of an issue really. If it's busy head to the very back of the lockers....some people don't look beyond the ones at the front.
This .I saw multiple people sent back to the lockers for things in pockets .it is NOT worth the hassle, nor is it worth the risk of losing an object or having an object fall out an cause a ride issue.

This is why stuff is not allowed. Please DO NOT sneak items on rides. As the digital age takes off even more something innocent as a cell phone, go pro, hats, change , etc can turn a day of fun into a tragedy.

Dueling Dragons

• On July 31, 2011, a tourist was injured when an unidentified object hit him in the eye while riding Dragon Challenge. Prior to the incident, the guest had only one good eye, therefore the incident resulted in the guest completely losing his sight. Dragon Challenge remained shut for less than 24 hours after the incident with Universal concluding that the ride was safe.
  • On August 10, 2011, a rider was struck by an object while riding the attraction, injuring his face and leg. As a result of this and the aforementioned incident in which a rider lost sight in one eye, Universal officials announced that the two roller coasters would no longer operate simultaneously, pending an investigation into both incidents.In October 2011, officials suspended the dueling aspect of the ride permanently.

I think if you have large pockets ((like cargo pants/shorts) you'll be fine.

BUT if your wristlet, camera, phone goes flying out of your pocket, don't expect anyone to stop the ride so you can get it back.

My point is that there are hundreds of people in line taking pictures and texting. They have to be putting there stuff somewhere. If it were placed in a jacket inside pocket or a large short pocket, I don't think there would be issues as long as the items were secure.

My point is that there are hundreds of people in line taking pictures and texting. They have to be putting there stuff somewhere. If it were placed in a jacket inside pocket or a large short pocket, I don't think there would be issues as long as the items were secure.

Many of them aren't going on the ride. We carry items with us, including phones, but not all of us are actually riding the bigger rides.

Just putting it in a regular pocket doesn't keep it secure. If you have a zippered pocket, that's good.

The problem is that rides like Hulk and RRR aren't allowing anything but worn-eyeglasses and lanyards (otherwise where do you keep your express pass?) because people SAY they are going to put the items in their pockets, and then they don't. They are flat out lying, and pull the items out during the ride, and that's not safe.

I think if you have large pockets ((like cargo pants/shorts) you'll be fine.

BUT if your wristlet, camera, phone goes flying out of your pocket, don't expect anyone to stop the ride so you can get it back.

i don't get it.
why tell others to put items in their pockets (and not the lockers....)
and if the items fall out of your pocket, too bad, so sad if you can't get them back?

i don't know all the people that are on the ride when i go on it, but i do care for their safety.
why be the one that is responsible for injuring someone in the park?

i was standing in the RRR area one time and a cell phone came flying out in the air and landed feet away from me.
it's dangerous for those on the ground just standing in that area.

cell phone smashed into pieces
with the signs that are posted of no loose articles, doubt anyone would come claim it.....

But just putting them in pockets without zippers are NOT secure..I saw a cellphone come sailing out of the air near the hulk coaster and smash on the pavement next to us.Someone else reported seeing something similar not too long ago..It is not safe nor is it smart.Universal has the policy for a reason.Their park, their rules. They DO check .If you manage to sneak past doesn't make it ok or right.

I'm back to report our experience this time around at RRR. Last trip in December they were very very picky and checked pockets for items and sent us back to the lockers when my son had his wallet in his pocket (first check point).

We rode all the roller coasters, but my DH carried everyone's items when we did Dragons and Hulk, so no attempts to take a phone on those.

However, my son took is wallet and iPhone in his pockets in line at RRR one time and they did not check his pockets and he did ride with them. I was sure he was going to get sent back to the lockers at both check points (Express Pass and at Loading).

So, it's inconsistant as to what the TMs are doing, for sure.

sorry, what is RRR?

I'm just reporting what I saw - People in Gringott's and FJ taking pictures throughout with cameras or cell phones. There is someone at the entrance stopping large bags/backpacks/purses from coming in and directing people toward the lockers. I asked a TM if we were allowed to take pictures in Gringott's and was told YES. I said too bad I can't bring in my purse, I'd love to have my camera and need somewhere to put it. His response was "it's just a 9ft drop and after that its all simulator, so just put it in your pocket".

Everyone has to be responsible for their own articles. I have an iPhone 6 - it's large - no way I'd attempt to put it in one of my pockets, but I'm sure in one of my DH's pockets (like in a cargo short its safe.

I seriously doubt that all the texters/pictures in line are just waiting it out. They are getting on the rides with their devices ...I'm sure its ending up in someone's pocket. I also noted that the hulk has netting below - presumably to catch loose articles.

Last edited:

I rode the Mummy, and Dragon's challenge ... that I was all I could handle despite a gravol.

My son was begging to go on the hulk. I seriously contemplated child-swap (the opposite of parent swap lol) taking the kids through the line putting them on the ride and then waiting offline to retrieve them when they got off. Not sure if that is allowed or not but my stomach just could not take it. DH got queasy on FJ so he was not help either lol. Kids are only 7 and 9 so I did not feel comfortable sending them by themselves through the line. I ended up buying them off with a churro : )

little thrill seekers, they are.

Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit are the two rides where they are apparently really beginning to enforce the "Nothing whatsoever in your pockets" rule, so if you didn't go on them, you may not have seen that. Last time we were there, the operators on both rides were CONTINUALLY yelling at people already strapped in to not take their phones out to record the ride.

Everyone has to be responsible for their own articles.

Unfortunately, it's people's inability to make responsible decisions in this realm that results in people being hit with loose objects. It's well and good to say that everyone should just worry about themselves, but it's all too apparent to anyone who's ridden thrill rides that plenty of people are making decisions that could very well end up hurting someone else. It's beyond frustrating. I watched someone get on Revenge of the Mummy with a wand sticking out of his waistband. Think about the sudden starts and stops on that ride - that wand could easily have impaled him or someone else if it happened to be sitting just the right (wrong!?) way. UGH.

RRR is the worst for things falling out of your pocket that you really thought were secure. The initial part where you go straight up, so you're lying flat on your back, tends to shake things out of a pocket which is normally tight. And even if they don't fall out, they're now in a position where some of the outside corkscrews could send them flying.

Unfortunately, it's people's inability to make responsible decisions in this realm that results in people being hit with loose objects. It's well and good to say that everyone should just worry about themselves, but it's all too apparent to anyone who's ridden thrill rides that plenty of people are making decisions that could very well end up hurting someone else. It's beyond frustrating. I watched someone get on Revenge of the Mummy with a wand sticking out of his waistband. Think about the sudden starts and stops on that ride - that wand could easily have impaled him or someone else if it happened to be sitting just the right (wrong!?) way. UGH.

I guess some people just have more money than brains. After spending $45x2 on wands, I would not even dream of letting my kids hold the wand on a ride. And as for phones, I just shelled out close to $700 for my new phone and $400 for a new camera ... so I'm not sticking it anywhere where it isn't secure. What I meant by my comment is that people have to use their brains and be responsible for their stuff and not try and jam a giant phone in a small pocket and expect it to be secure.

I had thong sandals on while riding FJ one night after dinner and I had my toes and feet squeezed together so tight, I had visions of losing my sandal and having to walk back to the hotel sans shoes. I didn't make that mistake again.

FJ has a rather small cubby area at the back of the seat. YOu need to move quickly to be able to get anything in there and get secured in your seat. I've been successful in putting my phone and sunglasses in there, idk if they would allow you to put a wristlet in there though. BUT, I've never experienced or seen a TM make someone take something out of there pockets and go back to the lockers. I was under the impression that if it fits in your pockets its not a problem...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter