Looking for Adventure in the Great Wide Somewhere a PTR

:::ahem:::: (meekly) Forgive my late arrival! :hug:

I got a shout out and didn't even realize it! :lmao:

I think you will be so happy at the Wilderness Lodge. You know, I never got to see it in December, but I heard that it is absolutely beautiful! The decorations for the holidays are supposed to be amazing. Plus, it'll be a nice change from Pop.

Pop is wonderful, and exciting, and in your face Disney 24/7. And the Wilderness Lodge is big and relaxing, and oh so wonderful. Really, you'll be getting the best of both worlds. :thumbsup2

Thanks! I'm looking forward to both of them now. I'm definitely planning my schedule around enjoying the MK area while staying over there. I can't wait to see the decorations.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to both of them now. I'm definitely planning my schedule around enjoying the MK area while staying over there. I can't wait to see the decorations.

Oh, it is SO convenient getting to the MK from the WL. Taking the bus was a short five minute ride, and I just loved it. Of course, you have the boat too, but I often found the bus to be faster. :thumbsup2

When I came home from my Disney trip last August, I knew that a solo trip was a must for me. There was also no doubt as to the when either.

Over the years I've been to Disney at nearly every time of year. My first trips as a child were always in July, my most recent one in August, trips in May and June for flower and garden, and a trip in the fall for MNSSHP. Every time of year but one. Winter. Christmas time in particular. I have always wanted to go to see the Christmas decorations without having to be there on Christmas itself. (Huge crowds and heat does not say Christmas to me). An early December trip is going to be perfect for me, although I will admit that the temptation was there to take another fall trip just so I could go to MNSSHP again. (What can I say, I'm a sucker for getting the chance to put on a Halloween costume? :thumbsup2 )

This trip is going to be a bit different for me. Besides going solo, I'm planning extra free time. Last year when planning my August trip I had purchased a 5 day pass with no expiration. The plan was to use 2 days then, and then the remaining 3 for my solo trip. (Originally I was only planning on taking a long weekend trip). If you read my trip report from that last trip, you might remember that we had to cancel 2 days of that trip to go to a funeral. Our free dining package kicked in after that, so I still have 5 days of passes for this trip. I'm going to be there for 7 days so I will have 2 park free days. Theorartically I could add 2 more park days on for this trip, but since I really want some relaxation on this trip so I'm going to let it stand as is, 5 days of playing in the parks, 2 days of playing around the rest of Disney. I don't think I've had free days scheduled at Disney since I was a kid and there was only the Magic Kingdom. We'd stay for 5 days and alternate park days and pool days. Maybe we had one pool day in 1988 when it was just MK and Epcot, but since then it's been nonstop park days every trip. I'm really looking forward to having a bit of down time to explore and just wander the property. Heck, who even says I have to go in all 5 days. Since the tickets are non-expiring I don’t have to do anything I don't want to do that day.

Right now the tickets don't have the park hopper option on them, and I'm thinking that I'm going to add that on to them. Still not sure, but my thought is that since I'll be having more limited time in the parks this trip (and MK likely closing early for the Christmas party a few nights) I may want to be able to hop around. I asked at World of Disney in NYC if I could add on the option now, but no - they can only do it down in Florida so no need to rush on that decision.

Since you already paid for the non-expirer part of the tickets, do you know how much it would cost you to upgrade them to 10 day tickets? That way you have tickets for another vacation (solo or not) already paid for.

Seeing all the Christmas decorations is so neat! Disney goes all out and it is just gorgeous! You are so going to enjoy going at that time of year!

Since you already paid for the non-expirer part of the tickets, do you know how much it would cost you to upgrade them to 10 day tickets? That way you have tickets for another vacation (solo or not) already paid for.

You must be reading my mind! :) I just started thinking about that last week. I figure if I add on the days now I'll have no excuse for when I want to go for the Princess Marathon in 2011. No excuses!

Seeing all the Christmas decorations is so neat! Disney goes all out and it is just gorgeous! You are so going to enjoy going at that time of year!

I can't wait to see them. I've been loving looking at pics of all the decorations. I want to go around visiting all the resorts to see them.

How exciting that you already have your tickets figured out! I'm afraid I can be very bad about building down time into a trip, but I love that you're making a point of it. I need to take a tip from you! :goodvibes

I think it would be a great idea to upgrade your ticket to 10 day. I also think park hopper would be a good idea for someone solo. That way if you want to hop over to another park to eat and what have you, you have that ability. :thumbsup2

Christmas at WDW is my favorite time. :cloud9: Fall (MNSSHP and F&W festival) is a close second!

Make sure you go to DHS to see the Osbourne lights. They are amazing!!! We saw them in 2007. The night we saw them, the Osbourne family was there to throw the switch! I just wish I could have stayed longer. My youngest DS was dying to get to ToT. Hey, maybe I need to do a solo trip in December just to see the lights! No way, my kids would NOT go for that :lmao:

I think its great that you have some down time in your schedule. I have been to WDW every year for the past three years but I feel like there is so much more I need to see and do. So I will be slowing it down on this trip and only doing semi-commando :laughing:

How exciting that you already have your tickets figured out! I'm afraid I can be very bad about building down time into a trip, but I love that you're making a point of it. I need to take a tip from you! :goodvibes

I love the fact that I already have the tickets. I feel like the most import part of the trip has been done since August, and I'm just filling in the rest. :)

I haven't had enough free time on my past few trips. My family is definitely the commando type, and I was just as guilty of it on my 2007 trip with my BFF. This time there are just too many things I want to do that are not in the parks so it gave me the perfect opportunity to just relax. My mom is a bit jealous as she always wants to have fee time while at Disney.

I think it would be a great idea to upgrade your ticket to 10 day. I also think park hopper would be a good idea for someone solo. That way if you want to hop over to another park to eat and what have you, you have that ability. :thumbsup2

I'm thinking I may upgrade at the end of the week. Then I'll be ready to go for my next trip. I want to have no excuses for why I can't do that 1/2 marathon. I'm pretty sure I'm going to upgrade to hoppers. I always do hoppers and the more I think about it the more I think I'll miss them.

Christmas at WDW is my favorite time. :cloud9: Fall (MNSSHP and F&W festival) is a close second!

Make sure you go to DHS to see the Osbourne lights. They are amazing!!! We saw them in 2007. The night we saw them, the Osbourne family was there to throw the switch! I just wish I could have stayed longer. My youngest DS was dying to get to ToT. Hey, maybe I need to do a solo trip in December just to see the lights! No way, my kids would NOT go for that :lmao:

I think its great that you have some down time in your schedule. I have been to WDW every year for the past three years but I feel like there is so much more I need to see and do. So I will be slowing it down on this trip and only doing semi-commando :laughing:

Semi-commando is a good start! My last trip I made sure I had a little bit of down time to myself. I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour, and then I spent my last time wandering the parks myself before meeting Lady Lallie at Epcot. It was so relaxing not being on a time schedule, and I got so much done. I can't wait for the free days so I can just play around at the resorts.

PolyTotemsUnknown_opt.jpg

My brother and I at the Poly back on our first trip in 1979

I never get tired of seeing this pic. Makes me smile and think of my own childhood trips to the World.

My dream Disney resort is the Boardwalk Inn.

Let me assure you that when you get to stay there (and you will!) it will truly be a dream come true, as staying at the Poly was for me. :goodvibes

December 5-8, 2009 - POP Century
December 8-12, 2009 - Wilderness Lodge (I just had to use the extra day at the deluxe!)

Woohoo! Sounds like an AWESOME stay!

I never get tired of seeing this pic. Makes me smile and think of my own childhood trips to the World.

I love the old pics. I actually borrowed the stack of old pics from my parents and want to scan a bunch of them. Hopefully I'll have some more vintage pics to post soon.

Let me assure you that when you get to stay there (and you will!) it will truly be a dream come true, as staying at the Poly was for me. :goodvibes

I'm already thinking of staying there when I eventually do the Princess 1/2marathon. (Yes I'm thinking ambitiously when I still can't run more than 60 seconds straight). :goodvibes

Woohoo! Sounds like an AWESOME stay!

I hope so. I can't wait to just relax on that balcony.

I'm already thinking of staying there when I eventually do the Princess 1/2marathon. (Yes I'm thinking ambitiously when I still can't run more than 60 seconds straight). :goodvibes

Heck, maybe I'll do that 1/2 marathon with you (I'll be starting the c25K program in the next week or so) and we'll BOTH stay at the Boardwalk!!! ;)

For me a vacation doesn't become set in stone until the flight is booked. Room reservations, ADRs and tours are all easily cancelled. Just a simple phone call and it's all wiped away. Nothing lost.

As I'm not able to buy expensive, refundable flights, booking a flight has the air of permanence. Sure I could change my flight later on, but even that comes with a $100 fee. Flights are not easily or cheaply changed. Once I've booked my flight, my vacation become so much more real. Until then, for me they are just whispers of what might come to be.

I’m lucky enough to have three airports fairly close I can travel from, although leaving from NYC got crossed off the list fairly quickly. My family flat out refuses to drive to the major airports, so that would leave me the option of either driving and parking for the week or taking the shuttle service from CT. I've done both before. Driving there got crossed off the list right off the bat. The one time I did this, I arrived to find the long-term lot at LaGuardia full and had to pay to park in the short-term lot. Luckily the trip was only for a long weekend. Cost me a fortune. The CT limo shuttle costs $130 roundtrip. :scared1: I don't think so.

That leaves flying from Hartford, CT or White Plains, NY. White Plains may be slightly closer to my house, but not enough to really factor into the decision. The love and kindness of my family does however, as White Plains is a tiny airport with virtually no parking. It's smack dab in the middle of a ritzy area and the residents have no desire to see the airport grow. As a result, the airport has one tiny garage. It's $2.90 per half hour to park there. $24 per day. Ouch! :headache: That will add up fast. It's an easy drive from my town though, and if you have someone to drop you off it's wonderful.

Hartford is bigger, and if I need to drive and leave my car it's the best option. Lots of lots where you can reserve a spot ahead of time and pay $5-$7 a day to park. It's also close enough, and easy enough to deal with that family doesn't mind dropping me off. (Free - even better).

So basically it comes down to airlines, times and price. Southwest or Delta out of Hartford. AirTran or JetBlue out of White Plains. I've been keeping my eye out on prices for awhile. Delta and AirTran have had their flights listed for awhile and JetBlue just extended through December last Friday. I also tend to be a bit particular when I fly. Especially when I fly to Orlando. I like to leave early enough so that once I arrive I still have enough time to enjoy a good portion of the day in a park. On the way home I'm a little less picky, but prefer to leave late afternoon if possible. I don't do the parks my last day, but I like to take it easy and not have to rush. (Especially with how early ME pickup times are). Later afternoon flights allow me that, and still get me in at a decent time if someone is picking me up. I also like to pick out my seat ahead of time. I hate sitting in the middle seat. Aisle or window is fine, but I hate getting stuck between two strangers for a couple of hours. If possible I prefer non-stop flights as well. It's such a short flight that I hate seeing it drag out with stops.

Delta had a nice early non-stop flight out on Saturday the 5th, and an equally as nice non-stop late afternoon flight home. Not so nice - the price. $365. That doesn't include $30 in baggage fees. AirTran has been my airline of choice for my past few trips to both Orlando. They always had early non-stop flights and decent prices. Not any longer. The only non-stop flight they are offering for the flight down was at 2pm, which would cause me to lose an entire Disney day. In the morning when there used to be a non-stop flight, there is now a flight with one stop. Which would get me into Orlando about 1ish. For the way home there was only one non-stop flight out at about 1:30pm or so. Flights were about $80 each way, but once you add in the luggage and seat selection fees it bounced up to $100 each way.

I got the e-mail on Friday morning that JetBlue's tickets had gone on sale. With what I had seen from Delta and AirTran I wasn't expecting much. Needless to say I was happily surprised to find multiple flights priced decently for both the trip down and the return flight. The flight down was a bit earlier than I would have liked, but wasn't horrible, and there there were a lot of choices for the flights home. Best though - all non-stop flights, first checked bag included, no charge to select a seat and decent prices. I was a bit torn. Should I book now, or wait to see what Southwest's prices are when they eventually release their times, and if I waited would JetBlue's go up too much. Sigh. I wish the airlines would just all release their flights at the same time. It would make life so much easier.

After much thought, I decided that since I was satisfied with JetBlue's fares, and liked everything else about the flights I'd book. Maybe I’ll be missing out on a good Southwest deal, but I’m happy with what I got. It seems it was the right decision too, as when I took a peak on JetBlue’s website today the flight to Orlando that I paid $99 for on Friday is already up to $144 and there was only about 2 seats left at that price. The flight home had only gone up about $10.

:woohoo:Woo Hoo!!! :woohoo: I'm going on vacation. Flights are booked!
I’m really going to owe my dad after this. My flight on the way down leaves at 6:40 am. Horribly, horribly early, but luckily he’s a morning person. Best though is that I’ll be in Orlando by 9:30 am. I’ll have pretty much the whole day in the parks. My flight home is at 4:30, so at least that’s being a bit kinder when he picks me up.

No backing out now!

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned! I am thinking about a solo trip myself - the idea of being able to do just what you want sounds great!

I would have booked those flights, too. Sounds like a good rate and the times seem reasonable. And also: it means that your trip is now set in stone!! :goodvibes

Everything sounds great. I love Disney in December. Take your time and see all the Christmas traditions in the countries at EPCOT.

I totally agree with you, the trip doesn't seem set in stone until the flight is booked.

Congrats on the flights!! Your trip is going to be here before you know it. :goodvibes

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned! I am thinking about a solo trip myself - the idea of being able to do just what you want sounds great!

I would have booked those flights, too. Sounds like a good rate and the times seem reasonable. And also: it means that your trip is now set in stone!! :goodvibes

Once I got the idea for a solo trip in my head it just wouldn't leave. I'm really looking forward to being able to wander around to do as much or as little as I want.

Oddly enough what I'm looking forward to most is not worrying about other people. Since I'm usually the organizer I always end up worried about how much fun everyone else is having. Stresses me to no end.

Everything sounds great. I love Disney in December. Take your time and see all the Christmas traditions in the countries at EPCOT.

I definitely plan on taking in the Christmas decorations. I've never been then, and really want to enjoy as much of it as possible.

I totally agree with you, the trip doesn't seem set in stone until the flight is booked.

Congrats on the flights!! Your trip is going to be here before you know it. :goodvibes

It's really a weird thing. I want it to be December so I can go, but on the other hand I really don't want it to actually be December because I haven't even seen more than 2 nice days in a row.

I've never flown Jet Blue before and am really looking forward to the tv's on every seat. Built in entertainment!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter