Lockoff v. dedicated (newbie question)

Sarabi's Cubs

DIS Veteran
We just bought points on the Dream last week and I'm getting overwhelmed by all of the information on here. I'm also going a little crazy waiting for my ID number so that I can get on the member website. I know it's only been a week, but we're hoping to plan a short getaway to Food and Wine in October and I know I'm already far behind on that. Hopefully, there will be something left!

What are the benefits/drawbacks of a dedicated 2 BR or lockoff? People seem to specify one or the other when they are talking about room requests and I'm wondering why.

Laurie

What are the benefits/drawbacks of a dedicated 2 BR or lockoff?

a dedicated 2BR usually has 2 real beds in the second bedroom (and no kitchenette). a dedicated 2BR also has only 1 entrance/exit. preferable for some.

a lockoff is a studio + a 1BR, so if you wanted a little more privacy between the 2 (and separate entrances/exits and don't mind the sofabed in the studio), that is a better option.

The benefits of lock-off vs. dedicated really depends upon your traveling party. For all adults, most prefer lock-off 2 bedroom units, because a lockoff is a studio connected to a one bedroom. The studio portion would have it own kitchenette so the occupants could make their own coffee and snacks without disturbing the people in the one bedroom portion. They also have their own entry door so they could come and go as they please.

Those traveling with children generally prefer dedicated two bedroom units. Two "real" beds (except OKW, where all units, lock-off and dedicated have 2 queen beds in the 2nd bedroom), more closet area where the kitchenette would be, and no extra exterior entry door to worry about.

We just bought points on the Dream last week and I'm getting overwhelmed by all of the information on here. I'm also going a little crazy waiting for my ID number so that I can get on the member website.
When you purchase directly from Disney, they put you in the system very quickly. To get your membership ID and everything you need to access the members' website, call Member Administration. They should be able to give you whatever you need today. If not, call your guide.

As a direct purchaser, you can book a room immediately -- just call Member Services or get your login info from Member Admin and book online.

A dedicated also has one control/system for heat and AC, a lock-off has separate systems/controls.

:earsboy: Bill

a dedicated 2BR usually has 2 real beds in the second bedroom (and no kitchenette).

Except at BCV -- some do, some don't. That means there are 3 categories of 2BR at BCV:
- lockoff
- dedicated 2 queen
- dedicated 1 queen 1 sofabed

If you're waitlisting, you can waitlist for 2 of the 3.

Chuck S pretty much summed it up.
We took our two nieces in 2008 ages 7 & 5 at they time. We needed a dedicated 2 bedroom because the 5 yr old would have found her way out if they had their own door.

Also, since you bought direct, your guide should be able to help you get your first reservation made (even if there's no availability where you're hoping to stay). It's no guarantee, but plenty of direct buyers have had this work for them.

Food and Wine is a really busy time for DVC, so call your guide ASAP and get something booked.

Congrats on your purchase! :goodvibes

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I understand why people ask for one versus the other. As luck would have it, our guide called me this afternoon and I was able to ask him a bunch of other questions I had.

Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter