Live Updates from the Disney Magic - Feb 13th-20th

If I was EVER on the fence about buying trip insurance for a cruise, I am NOT anymore!!! I understand that there will be lots of upset folks with lots of additional expenses, but honestly, Disney shouldn't HAVE to be on the hook for covering everything for everybody, because that's what trip insurance is for. I just hope most folks - both on the ship and TRYING to get on the ship - have it to at least help with the additional expense that will be involved.

Man, what a headache, for soooooo many people in sooooo many ways. I hope DCL is able come up with something for the new passengers that will help to make up for the lost time at sea - even though they aren't technically obligated to do so. It would help ease the pain, at least.

What a nightmare.

Just to lighten the spirit on this bad news for thoose on ship and thoose awaiting to get on, I was wondering what the extra show will be in the Walt Disney Theater tonight.

Maybe a 3D version of 'The Poseidon adventure', ???:confused3

I would say Titanic, but they are a bit too South for that...

If I was EVER on the fence about buying trip insurance for a cruise, I am NOT anymore!!! I understand that there will be lots of upset folks with lots of additional expenses, but honestly, Disney shouldn't HAVE to be on the hook for covering everything for everybody, because that's what trip insurance is for. I just hope most folks - both on the ship and TRYING to get on the ship - have it to at least help with the additional expense that will be involved.

Man, what a headache, for soooooo many people in sooooo many ways. I hope DCL is able come up with something for the new passengers that will help to make up for the lost time at sea - even though they aren't technically obligated to do so. It would help ease the pain, at least.

What a nightmare.

see if I was on the magic I would not expect Disney to compensate me for anything. Yes I might have to worry about airlines, etc but I got an extra day on the magic!

Now if I was waiting to get on the magic, then I would expect Disney to compensate me either with a credit or to arrange for accommodations. I would have already paid for my room, food and entertainment for today. Looks like they are trying by giving people entertainment (tickets to epcot) and food (meal vouchers) so they are on the right track. I still would also expect them to find me a place to sleep. Now I'm saying that having done all this, I would not expect any additional compensation. If DCL decided to compensate with a partial refund then I would expect to use that to cover my land expenses.

Just saw this on the news. I knew I was going in late for work but was unsure why. That said it's about a 13 hour trip and said they didn't think the ship would be back until this evening. Going to be a very hectic day at the terminal. Lots of guests will be showing up not knowing anything is wrong

btw: not the longest delay,there was one cruise that had to spend an extra day at sea due to a hurricane and we did both ships at the same time in Fort Lauderdale

There were other cruises that had to go to Galveston and stay for a couple of extra days because of a hurricane...

subscribing. Our DD and DSIL are on the Magic. And extra night, I hope they are able to relax and enjoy. At least they do not have a plane to catch.

Hi Angie!!! Hope everyone gets home ok...

Just checked the weather online for the Bahamas. Seems that the line of bad weather crosses directly over Castaway. Might be some time before it passes.

I can assure you that DCL will not put the safety of the passengers or their assets in danger. I have sailed with Capt John and Capt Henry, they are both very experienced Naval Officers and will do whatever they can to ensure a speedy return.

Hi Joel!!!

Was waitin for you to check in on this one... :thumbsup2

(and you still owe me a margarita... ;))

see if I was on the magic I would not expect Disney to compensate me for anything. Yes I might have to worry about airlines, etc but I got an extra day on the magic!

Now if I was waiting to get on the magic, then I would expect Disney to compensate me either with a credit or to arrange for accommodations. I would have already paid for my room, food and entertainment for today. Looks like they are trying by giving people entertainment (tickets to epcot) and food (meal vouchers) so they are on the right track. I still would also expect them to find me a place to sleep. Now I'm saying that having done all this, I would not expect any additional compensation. If DCL decided to compensate with a partial refund then I would expect to use that to cover my land expenses.

I'm just curious.... if DCL agreed/offered to do all that, what would you expect trip insurance to pay for? Because DCL DOES offer trip insurance that would cover all that, and if someone chooses to decline the trip insurance and doesn't purchase from somewhere else, then they are the ones that are taking a huge risk and would then be liable for the expenses incurred. Does that make sense?

Well here is another update....The Wonder is directly behind us here at CC. She is a little out anchored and not moving. I guess she was supposed to be here today?...Not sure.....The navigator for today is filled with alot of the same quality type activities we had during our cruise, pretty good stuff....The kids are in their respective clubs and we are going for some beer tasting soon. Tonights show is a comedy number....I am still waiting for what our dinner rotation will be for tonight...hmmm.....I guess we ended up with an 8 day cruise instead of 7 days......Just not the way I would of wanted it....So what else has Capt John had to deal with?

Out of curiosity I called the number... They are working on resort accomodations for people that were supposed to sail today. They didn't mention transportation between the port and EPCOT, and then back to the port tomorrow, but I am guessing they are working that out as well. Also, they noted that it is now a 6 night sailing - no St, Maarten.

What a mess for all involved!

Hi Michelle...Yep we're still here...Lurking in the shadows. Just planned a Mom and Me weekend in March. Can't wait. :cool1:

Just called, listened to the message and spoke to an agent. They don't have the full story together yet but here's what they told us so far:

- we will definately not be leaving tonight, onboard guests will stay onboard tonight if the Magic arrives back at PC tonight
- our cruise is now a 6-day eliminating St. Marteen stop
- they will be offering resort accommodations in Orlando, but won't have those details until after 2pm
- they may also be offering a discount/partial refund for the cruise cost but don't yet have those details

I'm very disappointed in the decision to eliminate St. Marteen - we booked this cruise to see the Eastern islands, and would much rather skip Castaway Cay.

Other than that point, I think Disney is being very generous in compensating us for a situation that's out of their control.

Out of curiosity I called the number... They are working on resort accomodations for people that were supposed to sail today. They didn't mention transportation between the port and EPCOT, and then back to the port tomorrow, but I am guessing they are working that out as well. Also, they noted that it is now a 6 night sailing - no St, Maarten.

What a mess for all involved!

That is awesome that they are working on resort accomodations, too. Unfortunately I think part of the "mess" will be trying to make things fair for everyone - like those that don't have transportation to Epcot and can't take advantage of those tickets OR those meal vouchers. Or those that have already found hotel rooms for tonight near the port. But DCL is definitely on the right track by doing all that they are doing so far!

Well here is another update....The Wonder is directly behind us here at CC. She is a little out anchored and not moving. I guess she was supposed to be here today?...Not sure.....The navigator for today is filled with alot of the same quality type activities we had during our cruise, pretty good stuff....The kids are in their respective clubs and we are going for some beer tasting soon. Tonights show is a comedy number....I am still waiting for what our dinner rotation will be for tonight...hmmm.....I guess we ended up with an 8 day cruise instead of 7 days......Just not the way I would of wanted it....So what else has Capt John had to deal with?

Yup - today would have been the Wonder's turn on Castaway Cay. Curious that they actually came to CC instead of just another sea day. I would rather have a sea day than be able to SEE CC - so close yet so far....

Enjoy your beer tasting!!:thumbsup2 Have one for me! 29 days till we are on the Wonder! Hoping that this CRAZY weather we have been having this winter settles down by then. 40's in Florida = YUCK!

Just called, listened to the message and spoke to an agent. They don't have the full story together yet but here's what they told us so far:

- we will definately not be leaving tonight, onboard guests will stay onboard tonight if the Magic arrives back at PC tonight
- our cruise is now a 6-day eliminating St. Marteen stop
- they will be offering resort accommodations in Orlando, but won't have those details until after 2pm
- they may also be offering a discount/partial refund for the cruise cost but don't yet have those details

I'm very disappointed in the decision to eliminate St. Marteen - we booked this cruise to see the Eastern islands, and would much rather skip Castaway Cay.

Other than that point, I think Disney is being very generous in compensating us for a situation that's out of their control.

Any change is very dissapointing, but they seem to be doing as much as possible and organisng a lot as things develop very quickly.

In August 2009, my Eastern became a Western with two stops at CC,I was dissapointed with that, had done Western three times. But understood.

I'm just curious.... if DCL agreed/offered to do all that, what would you expect trip insurance to pay for? Because DCL DOES offer trip insurance that would cover all that, and if someone chooses to decline the trip insurance and doesn't purchase from somewhere else, then they are the ones that are taking a huge risk and would then be liable for the expenses incurred. Does that make sense?

To be honest I wouldn't care so much about the entertainment but I paid for 7-nights and would expect that they either compensate 1/7th or provide a room with dinner (the least I would expect on the ship). If I declined trip insurance I would expect that I would be on the hook if I didn't make the ship on time and if I needed to switch air flights because we didn't get back in time. I wouldn't care that it was now only a 6-night. I wouldn't expect anyt
additional compensation as long as they provided one of the two options. I wouldn't expect DCL to give me any more or any less. I would simply expect things to be fair.

Regardless, Disney sounds like they are more than doing what they can to take care of the people for the night. As disappointed as I'm sure they are, I'm glad the important things are being handled for them.

To be honest I wouldn't care so much about the entertainment but I paid for 7-nights and would expect that they either compensate 1/7th or provide a room with dinner (the least I would expect on the ship). If I declined trip insurance I would expect that I would be on the hook if I didn't make the ship on time and if I needed to switch air flights because we didn't get back in time. I wouldn't care that it was now only a 6-night. I wouldn't expect anyt
additional compensation as long as they provided one of the two options. I wouldn't expect DCL to give me any more or any less. I would simply expect things to be fair.

Regardless, Disney sounds like they are more than doing what they can to take care of the people for the night. As disappointed as I'm sure they are, I'm glad the important things are being handled for them.

Totally see your point and agree that it sounds like Disney is making a great effort so far. The "fair" part is the hard part, because so many people are gonna have different opinions of what is "fair".

I just feel so bad for everyone involved - including the cast/crew of the Magic and the terminal workers.... cannot even begin to imagine the logistical nightmare and the huge inconveniences for thousands of people. It can't be helped, but what a headache and disappointment and frustration for so many!!

Totally see your point and agree that it sounds like Disney is making a great effort so far. The "fair" part is the hard part, because so many people are gonna have different opinions of what is "fair".

I just feel so bad for everyone involved - including the cast/crew of the Magic and the terminal workers.... cannot even begin to imagine the logistical nightmare and the huge inconveniences for thousands of people. It can't be helped, but what a headache and disappointment and frustration for so many!!

I agree. The people on the magic are getting a bonus day and the people waiting are being taken care of. Seems the people getting the short end if this stick are the terminal workers who will have to handle two ships tomorrow! Going to be a crazy day for them! Since both ships will probably be docking somewhere at PC, at least the crew will probably have the normal time to turn around. Course the ship that doesn't get to dock at the DCL will probably be upset! Yes plenty of headaches for all the staff.

Transportation was provided from the terminal to WDW for those guests who arrived at the terminal expecting to board. Don't know what was done for those who arrived at MCO.

In these situations no one will be fully happy, but DCL will do what it considers reasonable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter