List of rules for the kids

Great thread.

And the question about the daughter and the cell phone, I would just lock it up before sail away party and give it back when debarking. Period.

Is your daughters friend traveling with you or are her parents on the cruise as well? If she's your guest then I would lock hers up with your daughters as well. Done. End of story. :).

We don't even cruise until June so we've only begun thinking about it. But the initial gut parent feeling (that I usually do go with) is to lock it up, no questions asked. Thankfully my daughter will survive.

Her friends parents are also going. I adore them, which is why we're all going together, but they are a bit less strict and have a bit more spare cash so they tend not to worry quite so much or monitor their daughters spending and habits quite so much. (ex- this daughter gifted my younger kids with 2 huge bags of clothes from Justice the summer she & my daughter went into middle school. Some still with tags and that fit my daughter so obviously fit her. Her reason - she's to old to wear Justice. I double checked that her parents were fine with it and all 3 of my girls received some nice clothes. :banana: )

You can disable the data if you put the iPhone in Airplane Mode under settings. Then under General turn off data and/or voice roaming

This is a great thread! We used the whiteboard idea this cruise and it worked perfectly!

I didn't even think of airplane mode. As I mentioned, we're probably going to just lock it up, but I do like that there are other options to consider.

This is the contract we signed with my nieces (age 9 going on 3) This may give others additional ideas:

Disney Behavioral Contract​

I will stay within 10 feet the adults in my group. If I should wander off the requirement to hold an adults hand at all times will be put into place and last for at least 30 min. Each time I wander off the time I must be attached to an adult will be increased.
I will listen to the instruction from Mom, Janet and Lois and will follow them with no more than 2 requests.
I will set quietly during meals and eat my meal. If I fail to eat at least 50% of the meal I will not get to eat dessert. There will be no snacking in between meals so it will be important to eat when we have the chance.
I will get up when asked and get dressed for the day.
I will attempt to use the restroom anytime I am asked.
I will be respectful of others personal space
No arguing or fighting of any kind
I will not climb on the railing at any time.
I will not leave the company of the adults without getting permission first.
I will not run at any time
I will not jump in the pool
I will respect other by using my inside voice at all times. This means there will be no yelling or screaming, for any reason, at any time, when on the boat.

We developed a reward system that provided some spending money. The better they did the more cash they had control over.

We were on the Dream earlier this year when our kids were 11 and 12. Our rules were that they:

come back to the cabin before dinner to get changed and go eat with us
stay together
back in the cabin by 1 a.m.
no going in anyone else's cabin
no one coming into our cabin

If you have Verizon you can turn your service off, on just one line for how ever long couple hours to months. It will extend your contract by the time the service is off if it is the main line in you family plan.

I grounded my daughter for 2 days last year and sent her to exile in her room. hopped on computer to verizonwireless.com and turned her service off, to give her time to think.

I would settle for no ding dong ditch (all the suites have doorbells, and doorbells are like elevator buttons: kids can't help but press them).

They can be taught self control, you know. If my kids were doing this and would not stop, they sure would not be cruising. Even at home, I have seen how long it takes my mom to get up off the sofa with her crippling arthritis and to painfully get up to the door to find out it was a prank, well that is just unacceptable.

CarolAnnC said:
They can be taught self control, you know. If my kids were doing this and would not stop, they sure would not be cruising. Even at home, I have seen how long it takes my mom to get up off the sofa with her crippling arthritis and to painfully get up to the door to find out it was a prank, well that is just unacceptable.

I agree if they wouldn't stop, they would be punished. I don't think that's what the poster meant though. I think she meant that kids are like magnets to doorbells and buttons. If they see them, they will want to push them. I could see my 5 or 8 year old pushing one to see what happens. I would, of course, correct them the first time and that would be the end of it. But I can't make them stop being curious. I can make them accountable for the times after I told them to stop.

sheadley said:
I agree if they wouldn't stop, they would be punished. I don't think that's what the poster meant though. I think she meant that kids are like magnets to doorbells and buttons. If they see them, they will want to push them. I could see my 5 or 8 year old pushing one to see what happens. I would, of course, correct them the first time and that would be the end of it. But I can't make them stop being curious. I can make them accountable for the times after I told them to stop.

Of course, kids will be kids, lol! I am expecting some of this "curiosity" on our upcoming cruise, as we will have a doorbell....I would just smile when I opened the door. It's the older kids....generally 11-12 and up who tend to play the "ding, dong, ditch" which we have experienced even in hotel rooms without doorbells, just knocking on the door, ugh! If they are playing that game after 11 at night, I would call and complain....

penel3 said:
Of course, kids will be kids, lol! I am expecting some of this "curiosity" on our upcoming cruise, as we will have a doorbell....I would just smile when I opened the door. It's the older kids....generally 11-12 and up who tend to play the "ding, dong, ditch" which we have experienced even in hotel rooms without doorbells, just knocking on the door, ugh! If they are playing that game after 11 at night, I would call and complain....

Totally agreed! (high five)

I don't have kids and I don't travel with them. I was merely pointing out that we've yet to cruise without someone ringing our doorbell and running away.

But good to know they can be taught self control.

I don't have kids and I don't travel with them. I was merely pointing out that we've yet to cruise without someone ringing our doorbell and running away.

But good to know they can be taught self control.

OT, but I wanted to share. My BF was asked by a kid to ring a bell for him because he couldn't reach (on a busy street). He did, and before he knew it the kid had ran off. That was an evil twist of ringing the bell...

Simple rules for my kids:
  • Keep wave phone and key card handy
  • Let us know if you will not be joining us for dinner
  • Always say please and thank you
  • Respect other people's space
  • Come back to the room if you are feeling overwhelmed by the number of people and relax a bit

I just want to say, I hope you're ALL on MY cruise! I love seeing kids who know how to be kids and still be respectful at the same time.

We have a rule about responding politely to everyone, but especially adults.

I've been working with my 5yo and 8yo on interacting with adults. They are quite shy. On our first cruise as we were walking down the hall, a room steward said to my daughter (8 ), "Hello, princess, how are you?" She replied, "Fine. How are you?" and we kept walking. I don't think I even noticed (although I SHOULD have, as this does NOT always happen with her. She's so shy!!!). The steward gave us a big smile and said, "Fine! Thank you!" Then he explained that children almost never responded to him. I think we made his morning with that small gesture. And he made mine by making a big deal out of it for my kids. That was awesome reinforcement for them!

I just want to say, I hope you're ALL on MY cruise! I love seeing kids who know how to be kids and still be respectful at the same time.

We have a rule about responding politely to everyone, but especially adults.

I've been working with my 5yo and 8yo on interacting with adults. They are quite shy. On our first cruise as we were walking down the hall, a room steward said to my daughter (8 ), "Hello, princess, how are you?" She replied, "Fine. How are you?" and we kept walking. I don't think I even noticed (although I SHOULD have, as this does NOT always happen with her. She's so shy!!!). The steward gave us a big smile and said, "Fine! Thank you!" Then he explained that children almost never responded to him. I think we made his morning with that small gesture. And he made mine by making a big deal out of it for my kids. That was awesome reinforcement for them!

I think most adults probably don't respond to them either! One cruise when I was in Rockin' Bar D, I got to know the bartender a little bit. Really nice guy. Next cruise a year later, he not only remembered me but what I like to drink. I was flabbergasted and told him so, and he replied that the vast majority of people barely talk to the staff at all, much less say "thank you" or "please" or anything else. He said they remember the ones who do. That stunned me even more... Are any sort of service staff really just invisible to people?? Have manners disappeared completely? So sad!! :sad2:

Kudos to you for helping your kids become more social, and polite at the same time. It would be a much better world if more people -- young and old -- practiced that! :flower3:

In addition to the things listed, I also gave my DD an additional rule.

If she is returning to the stateroom alone, she is not to open the door if there is someone standing nearby (alone) or behind her. I explained how easy it would be for a man to follow her, wait for her to open the door and then push her inside.
If there is a family or a single person that is way down the hall, fine. Just not when it is just her and another person alone in the immediate hallway. If she finds herself in that situation, she is to keep walking to someplace with a lot of people around and then come back in a few minutes or call us to meet her.

I know it sounds extreme but it is the same thing I practice myself when walking out to my car alone at night, etc. I just want her to be aware of who is around her.

This is a great one! Thanks! We have already begun discussing some rules with our kids (will be 9 and 13 when we sail) but I hadn't thought of this. I might add to it to just head straight to the kid's club if this happens and call us, and we will come get them.

For those of you who say no being on open decks after dark, why is that? I would think walking the deck and chatting with their friends, riding the Aqua Duck or playing on the sports deck would be fine. I obviously don't want them running around causing trouble or doing anything unsafe, but I wouln't have thought to tell them to not be on open decks at night. Thanks in advance for your insight/reasoning on this...this is our first cruise with kids.

This is the list I use for my DS. It has been altered and updated over the years as he has gotten older (he is 16 now) but the basics stay the same. Hope this helps. :)

CRUISE RULES
None of these are optional​

You are not to enter any cabin without me. Ever.

No one is to enter our cabin except you.

If you are in our cabin alone, hang the “DO NOT DISTURB” sign on the door. Remember to remove it when you leave.

You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by me or a CM. You are not to drink anything that you have let out of your sight.

If you change locations from where you last said you were going to be, you need to either swing by the stateroom and write it on the white board (including the time), or use a house phone somewhere and leave a message in our stateroom voicemail box.

Do not hang out, horse around or run in the stairwells, hallways or elevators.

Your curfew will be decided on each day. It will vary depending on the teen activities that are planned, and what time we need to start the next day.

Your KTTW card is tied to my credit card even though you have your own funds on there. It is up to you to check your balance daily. If you lose your KTTW card, notify Guest Services immediately.

Our dining time for dinner is 8pm, so you will need to make sure you allow yourself enough time to finish whatever you’re doing and head back to the cabin with enough time to get yourself ready and either leave with me at 7:45or meet me at the dining room entrance by 7:45 (or earlier if we’re taking pictures, which I will let you know about ahead of time.)

If you order room service, don’t forget to tip them. You know where the tip money is. Also don’t forget to gather up any dishes/silverware/napkins/etc. as neatly as possible for the room steward.

If we arrange a check-in time and you miss it by more than 15 minutes, then you will spend the rest of that day with me or in the cabin.

I expect you to be the Southern gentleman you have been raised to be, using please, thank you, and excuse me at all times. Hold the doors for people, allow people to get off of the elevator before you step on. Being on vacation is never an excuse for leaving manners at home.

Handwashing is a must!! If unable to wash your hands with soap and water, you will always have hand sanitizer available. USE IT!

No going to the outside areas of the upper deck at night.

Do not leave the stateroom a mess. The room steward has enough to do!
Keep all of your valuables in the cabin safe.

Always, always treat the ship crew members with respect, every last one of them. You know how they always go out of their way to make our cruises special and happy – go out of your way to smile and say “hello”.

All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it.
:rolleyes1

This is perfect. I copied it to go over with me 15 yo DS tonight.

... There are house phones all over the ship that they can call you from and I didn't feel like giving them a $250 phone to lose. Have a great time!

On our last cruise (on the Wonder), we didn't pay attention to the location of the house phones. Are they located in central spots on each deck (i.e. the elevator banks)? Or are they just randomly placed about the ship?

thanks

This is perfect. I copied it to go over with me 15 yo DS tonight.

I love this list. But my kids would never be able to remember the whole thing. So I keep mine a bit shorter, with the same basic elements included. Go parents that actually care about their kids and don't let them run through the ship with no boundries! I think we are all on the same page.

My only additional rule is for them to watch out for other kids that may put themselves in a dangerous situation and to immediately report it to a CM or the nearest adult. Back in February there was a boy about 11 that was holding up his younger brother over the protective side of the ship. Literally hanging over the water. My son not only snatched the child from the brother's arms but alerted an adult immediately.

[We are delighted to be doing our first cruise and our daughter now has a great list of rules that she will be aware of from "the get-go!" Thanks to the moms and dads for sharing. We want everyone on board to have a good time.. fewer missteps, means more fun and less tears because we will have fewer misunderstands!

pirate: Mean Momma :)

Thanks so much for all the great ideas. We cruise next Saturday and this is my daughters first time in the Edge.

I know each child has to have a wrist band that they wear the entire cruise. Are those trackable by the wave phones?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter