List of rules for the kids

Thanks for all the great ideas....I had been thinking about this, but hadn't sat down to make a list to review with the kids (and I love the contract idea, Gina!)

This will be their first time in the Edge with more freedom, so I definitely want to make sure we are all on the same page with the rules.

I also like the post about the parents had the wave phones, and the kids can use the house phones. We had been considering getting an extra phone so each kid would have one, but perhaps I will use that now. They can use the house phone or a friend's wave phone to contact us.

I'm excited about the wave phones! We used walkie talkies for years, and then he just got too old for that and we went to the find-a-house-phone plan, but this will be so much easier.

I also wanted to thank a pp for the rule about noticing if anyone alone is around you before you go in your room -- I honestly had not thought of that at ALL. That's why I love threads like this... We all learn new stuff every day. My own list has been cobbled together over the years from different suggestions here and there, plus my own observations on cruises. That tip I just learned is going on my list now!

This thread is one of the greats.:goodvibes

I agree! I haven't read the entire thread yet, and it might seem like common sense, but I see it happen all the time:

Please be kind to the environment and DO NOT throw ANYTHING overboard! It may be safe for human consumption, but could possibly harm an animal or the ocean!

:firefight Putting on my fire suit :firefight Before I post our rules please remember that each family/parent/child is different. And hopefully each parent KNOWS their own child's limitations. :thumbsup2 With that being said.....

Our teenage girls MUST not bring their cell phones. One of our last Disney Cruises they were texting the whole time "but we have unlimited text" and our bill was over $700 :eek: when we got home.

We do not like using the wave phones so the fastest way is to either call the cabin from a house phone and leave a message where you will be, or if you in the cabin you can also leave a message from your cabin phone.

Our girls curfew is 1 hour past the time that the teen club closes. After that you must be back in the cabin. That way it gives them time to go up and grab some pizza/soda/hot chocolate make plans with their friends for the next day.

Our boys are not forced to eat any meal with us, but they can not just live on ice cream/soda/chicken strips popcorn:: They have to have something healthy at least once a day :rotfl2: after all it is their vacation as well. They don't get to eat junk food at home.

None of our kids are allowed to walk through the Adult's only areas.

They don't have to attend any of the shows, but they usually end up seeing most of the movies....since it is EXTREMELY expensive to take 6 people to the movies at home it is a very rare treat.

Our kids have all been taught from a very early age to open doors for ladies, elderly, or someone with an arm full. They all say please and thank you 95% of the time, And that doesn't stop just because we are on vacation. In fact a little brag moment here. On our last cruise the lady who answers the room service phone sent me and our kids a hand written letter each saying how proud she was of the kids, they were always polite, always tipped, and were very respectful. :flower3: and how she wished many other kids would be.

Our boys do have check in and out privileges and they do not have to attend any activity that the clubs are having.

And lastly..which I'm sure I'm forgetting alot...is do not make it harder for any CM/Cabin Steward/Waiter their job is SUPER hard as it is. :goodvibes

Gina, I love the "leave a message on the whiteboard" idea. I never thought about that! Bringing a small whiteboard to leave in the room is a great idea...for every member of the family! I am so adding that to my list of things to bring!

Although I wouldn't print out the rules and have my kids sign them, mostly because I dont feel the need too, I have recently spent some time with my neighbors children, ages 10 and 11 and I WISH their parents would enforce some rules, any rules. Being in public with them is sometimes embarrassing, they have no limits and no consequences when they misbehave. On or off a cruise, I would like to draw a contract up for them!

Gina, I love the "leave a message on the whiteboard" idea. I never thought about that! Bringing a small whiteboard to leave in the room is a great idea...for every member of the family! I am so adding that to my list of things to bring!

I would think a pack of post-its would do the trick too - just stick 'em to the mirror:goodvibes

Gina said:
Then you'll really laugh when I tell you that not only is the list printed, but my son and I both sign a revised copy before every trip. :thumbsup2 It's a contract -- and I believe strongly that the act of him signing off on it fosters accountability. But we all parent differently, and we all know our own kids best. :goodvibes

I was thinking when I read the list, I would print it out AND make us all sign it. PERFECT! Bravo!

Gina - Great rules!

My husband and I have 8 kids and have lived with a similar set of rules, all but the youngest is now in college and they thankfully turned out very well. (I credit the rules.. LOL) For the record, my kids would say they grew up "being kids" and having a HUGE amount of fun.

I think for the most part it is good to just go over the rules before vacation and you likely do not have to print them out, especially since the whole point is that you have been living this way in your homes all along. The one exception is probably with many teenagers. My teens, who were never what we might think of as "difficult" would tell you that sometimes teens just want you to lay it out on paper so that the details are perfectly clear. LOL (this pertains more to things like curfew than say being polite, but why not just list all your rules and hit print for the teens...LOL)

This is a great group of Disney parents, I would be thrilled to cruise with any of you!

If I could add one I told my kids:
Only take/ order what you will eat. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to put it on your plate. If you do, you must eat it.

MaleficentRN said:
If I could add one I told my kids:
Only take/ order what you will eat. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to put it on your plate. If you do, you must eat it.

Does this mean you will force your kids to eat it if they don't like it. I believe eating on a cruise is a great time to broaden their digestive horizons. I would love it if my children would try new foods, if they don't like it they can always fall back on their favorite food.

No. It means don't be a glutton. If I had a dime for every kid I saw with two doughnuts, a bagel, a muffin, cereal, bacon and sausage on their plate and eat two bites or a kid make an ice cream cone, take a lick then toss it and get another, I could pay for the Roy suite on my next cruise.

MaleficentRN said:
No. It means don't be a glutton. If I had a dime for every kid I saw with two doughnuts, a bagel, a muffin, cereal, bacon and sausage on their plate and eat two bites or a kid make an ice cream cone, take a lick then toss it and get another, I could pay for the Roy suite on my next cruise.

I agree with that. Thank goodness my kids would eat more fruit than anything else they served on the buffets. I was referring to eating at the MDR's and trying new foods.

Our teenage girls MUST not bring their cell phones. One of our last Disney Cruises they were texting the whole time "but we have unlimited text" and our bill was over $700 :eek: when we got home.

Funny you mention this. This was one of the FIRST things we discussed with our 14yo once our cruise was booked. I still haven't decided what to do with her iPhone yet, but we had a LONG talk about international costs - data & texting, not just calls. What I want to do is temporarily disable text, all apps that use data and phone calls while on the cruise, essentially turning it into an iTouch. But that doesn't seem possible. So I will probably just lock it up.

We are traveling with one of her best friends, who I am 99% positive will have her iPhone with her the whole time. Alone, I'm fairly certain that my daughter would respect the rules and her worst infraction would be responding to a text with 'can't talk on cruise see you in a week". With peer influence (her friend is a phoneaholic) I'm pretty sure we'd both be coming home with crazy bills. We're not leaving the phone at home because we're going to Disney the week before and the girls will be allowed some freedom in the parks and need the phone to get in touch with us.

Then the debate is on about the wave phone. lol

Great lists peeps :) I'd be glad to cruise with y'all too :) I'm subscribing to this thread to show my 2 kids and my niece & nephew before we go in December. While my 2 have sailed before and our last cruise went fine but it's never a bad thing to go over the rules/guidelines each time :)
Robin

You can disable the data if you put the iPhone in Airplane Mode under settings. Then under General turn off data and/or voice roaming

This is a great thread! We used the whiteboard idea this cruise and it worked perfectly!

(5) No running and/or yelling in the halls (and not just during quiet hours).

I would add, no running anywhere, not just the halls, unless within the safe confines of the sports court. I cannot remember if no running on deck is a DCL rule, but it definitely should be, as running on deck is just about asking for a broken limb.

All those people on the Roll Call list? They’ve all seen your picture and know you’re my son. If you’re acting like an idiot somewhere onboard, I WILL find out about it.[/i] :rolleyes1

That is beautiful. It reminds me of the "Rules for Dating," where the guy says, "I am the all knowing god of your universe." I know all. I see all. I will always find out.

You can disable the data if you put the iPhone in Airplane Mode under settings. Then under General turn off data and/or voice roaming

Yes, but I think in that situation, the teen would be able to get it disabled herself, if not her tech savvy friend. I think the poster was hoping there was something that could be done through their carrier to lock it temporarily.

I agree, the best thing to do is just lock it up in the safe or hide it or whatever you need to do. That's probably the best course of action. And, talking to the friend's parents about the costs of at-sea usage may convince them to confiscate hers as well.

One thing I would add would be, and it may seem rather obvious, but to follow all DCL rules and policies. ie: do not go into any adult areas. On CC, where it says, "Not past this point" it means not past that point. Flash photography not allowed. No saving of chairs. And so on and so forth; and just to reinforce with them that on the cruise that they will encounter rude people. They will encounter people that are dishonest. They will encounter people that pay no attention to the rules. But, that they are still expected to follow the rules.

Great thread.

And the question about the daughter and the cell phone, I would just lock it up before sail away party and give it back when debarking. Period.

Is your daughters friend traveling with you or are her parents on the cruise as well? If she's your guest then I would lock hers up with your daughters as well. Done. End of story. :).

I have a smart phone that I love and some would say (ahem my DH) that I am addicted to it and I do know how to turn off all the data etc.......but I still lock my phone up in the safe once we start sailing (I use it while we are eating lunch etc on embarkation day right up until the boat starts moving) ands then turn it on again when we are back in Port Canaveral. Neither one of my kids have phones yet, but when they do, it'll be the same rule for them :).

I also have used the "there are people I'm friends with on FB that are going to be on this cruise that you don't know I know.....so I will know if you are acting inappropriately" line in the past and will use it again :)

Robin

I would settle for no ding dong ditch (all the suites have doorbells, and doorbells are like elevator buttons: kids can't help but press them).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter