• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Line holders

I always think of this scene from Dead Like Me when we talk about this topic.
Yes, what she is doing in this video is blatantly wrong. What if it was her husband in line though and she came racing up and said "ship this to please" and stood there with him. Or two friends in the car but one finished up a phone call outside (to be polite) then caught up to first friend. Gray area.

Idk. You can parse it as line cutting/swapsies/place keeping/holdsies or just plain catching up... Some are more legitimate than others. I'm just an easy going person. I just say try and be kind and courteous but be reasonable to. It's Disney :)

Actually no you can't. It's the mental gymnastics needed to MAKE those equivalent that allows people to think it's OK.

Line cutting = moving ahead of others in line
Swapsies = you join the line and someone else leaves
Place keeping = you were in line but had to leave (take a little one to the bathroom) and is normally accompanied by telling the guy behind you what you are doing
Holdsies = Place keeping

Just plain catching up = Yup.. line cutting.

Yes, what she is doing in this video is blatantly wrong. What if it was her husband in line though and she came racing up and said "ship this to please" and stood there with him. Or two friends in the car but one finished up a phone call outside (to be polite) then caught up to first friend. Gray area.

No gray area at all. If the friend had to finish the phone call the second friend should have waited. Otherwise it perfectly fits the video.

-----------
Also, for the record I have never challenged anyone... just like 99% of the people being cut never challenge anyone, but yeah I think exactly like the video. Either the person thinks that about us... or it's them.

Place keeping = you were in line but had to leave (take a little one to the bathroom) and is normally accompanied by telling the guy behind you what you are doing
Holdsies = Place keeping

I like these definitions.
Maybe they should be made into a posted sign at the entrance to all ride lines. :rolleyes:

Actually no you can't. It's the mental gymnastics needed to MAKE those equivalent that allows people to think it's OK.

Holdsies = Place keeping

No gray area at all. If the friend had to finish the phone call the second friend should have waited. Otherwise it perfectly fits the video.

-----------
Also, for the record I have never challenged anyone... just like 99% of the people being cut never challenge anyone, but yeah I think exactly like the video. Either the person thinks that about us... or it's them.

No, in the video they just happened to bump into each other. In the friend scenario I proposed they arrived together. For goodness sakes, I suppose you could hand both packages to one person then finish your call than join up. Same difference. Of course if it was me, I would say something like "thanks, and sorry I had to finish that call" as I joined her.

No, in the video they just happened to bump into each other. In the friend scenario I proposed they arrived together. For goodness sakes, I suppose you could hand both packages to one person then finish your call than join up. Same difference. Of course if it was me, I would say something like "thanks, and sorry I had to finish that call" as I joined her.
Again.. see the definitions of line cutting, swapsies, Place Keeping, Holdsies and "just plain catching up" above. Where do you think this one would fit? Yup.. Just plain catching up (AKA Line Cutting) which is why the video fits perfectly. This really isn't some hard to grasp concept...

Edit to add:
Your excuse for cutting the line is that you had a phone call to finish. Just like the guy you cut has to make a phone call after he finishes or the woman in front of HIM has to pick up a kid from school and the teenager you passed on the way has 5 minutes to get back to work from lunch before his boss fires him.

I like these definitions.
Maybe they should be made into a posted sign at the entrance to all ride lines. :rolleyes:

Haha! That would be kind of funny although I do prefer to rely on people being innately kind and courteous (on both sides). I suppose you can add little Disney characters to make it cute. Oh and I still would define holdsies as you walk up to line and say "I'll be right back, going to....(park stroller, grab bottle water, run to bathroom)". Very similar to catching up but this exchange happened as you were approaching line. As long as easy and not interfering to catch up as previously explained. Not a big deal in my book. (and as implied in that video I never thought anything negative about those behind me, nor about myself, and I'm really sorry if others feel that way or have such negative thoughts over smallish things).

Last edited:
I was actually thinking about this, this week when hearing about the insane FEA lines etc.... What do people do that need to pee? etc.. or people that cannot physically stand that long.. Not that we would wait that long.. but I have no problem letting a parent and child pass ( assuming potty break).. or what about some one like my mom.. she cannot stand that long.. I mean normal standing she can do .. 30 minutes.. but wait times of over 60 minutes is crossing the line with physical capabilities and no line has benches...

So would it piss people off if my mom waiting outside for a while and then met up with us?? or does she have to go the disabilitiy route and upset other people as she really doesnt need it outside the parks... just for long standing which most people do not need to do in their daily lives..

just saying a bench or two in the lines would help. I would HOPE people would be considerate and give them up to pregnant, older or anyone who NEEDS a break.
I can't stand that long either.

So I either bring a rollator (a walker with a seat) or I rent a scooter. Yes, it is a pain. No, I don't need to use them at home.

So would I let her through? Only if she can squeeze past me and my scooter. You know the one I rented because I couldn't stand a long time. . . . . . . .

Honestly y'all. There is just as much self importance coming from those who refuse to let people go past them in line as you are spewing at those who admit to doing it.

I can recall one instance in DL where we had a long wait (freakin Peter Pan) and I left to get my kids Popsicles for the kids. Lord knows I would have much rather stood in line than run around in the heat, but I was imperfect and didn't have any snacks on me for my kids and they got whiney because I am an awful parent who hasn't taught them to stand for an hour in the heat without making a peep. And since we were on a vacation for THEM that I hoped THEY would look back at fondly (because lord knows we don't go to disney and wait for Peter Pan for US) I decided I'd be nice and grab them Popsicles. Ran back sweating and panting with the Popsicles and water. No picnic.

And in one other instance that we had a long wait, my 5 year old who gives no warning whatsoever when she has to go to the bathroom, 20 mins in to our wait tells us she has to go to the bathroom. With at least 20 mins left to wait. Again, me being imperfect and not predicting that she'd have to go 30 mins after our last potty break, I took her and we resumed our place in line. If someone told us no, whatever. We would not ride that ride. I really don't care. Since people were kind and understanding, my kid got to ride it.

As I sheepishly excused myself from the line with my kid jumping up and down holding her privates, I received sympathetic looks instead of looks of disdain from people thinking I should have somehow predicted this. And people welcomed us back.

These are the instances that we have done this and I shared that. Two times.

And got blasted for it because ADULTS, grown people who are allegedly more mature that children, are saying "what about meeee? What about us???? We waited!! RUDE". I'm sorry that I expect a little understanding. I totally let other people do it because I get that life happens.

My dad had colon cancer and has to go to the bathroom every 15 mins. I know you will all find him very respectful, as he refuses to go anywhere with a line anymore, but I can not imagine someone blocking him, making him the butt of their jokes for the day, and calling CMs on him because he needed to excuse himself from the line and tried to rejoin his party. Now I don't blame him for staying home and being embarrassed.

Last edited:
Families, I understand. Things happen. Even if you take your child to the bathroom right before the big ol' line cue, about 60-75 percent of the way.. someone will still have to go the bathroom and they'll have to go right then. lol.

dBkr9ttKjWXrG.gif

Or in some cases, maybe there is medication in a purse, something left in a stoller..etc. I think most of us have been there. Even if it adds 2 minutes to my wait time, it's worth it to me. I've been in those situations and it sucks. It also sucks for the kid to feel penalized because even thought they did go to the bathroom right before the big que, they couldn't hold it again to get to the end. And if they failed because they knew getting out of line would mean starting over to the beginning of the line and.. poor kid maybe had an accident..that would be a terrible thing.

Usually this is parent/grand parent/adult type person + 1 child, maybe 2.

I have seen people who've used the family excuse just to line jump. It happened to us at space mountain. A mom and her 14 year old son pushed their way nearly to the front of the cue to meet up with their' family'. They stopped short because the there was a big group ahead and it was very clear that they didn't belong to that group. They never talked about finding their family, where they were...etc. They just went as far as they could to skip the line. The people that were behind me were well aware and near feral.. lol.

That happens too. As much as it irritates me, I'd rather be a little irritated then try to stop them from going through, in the case that it is something legitimate that I don't know about/can't see...

That said, I've never seen large groups (or like 3 adults or more) try to push passed a line.

Again.. see the definitions of line cutting, swapsies, Place Keeping, Holdsies and "just plain catching up" above. Where do you think this one would fit? Yup.. Just plain catching up (AKA Line Cutting) which is why the video fits perfectly. This really isn't some hard to grasp concept...

Edit to add:
Your excuse for cutting the line is that you had a phone call to finish. Just like the guy you cut has to make a phone call after he finishes or the woman in front of HIM has to pick up a kid from school and the teenager you passed on the way has 5 minutes to get back to work from lunch before his boss fires him.

Or you could say..
ETA: your reason for joining your friend in line is that you took a moment to finish your phone call.

Different than bumping into friend or acquaintance and joining them in line. And I could say the same thing that this really isn't a hard concept to grasp.

Alright, while this has been interesting I'm off for now anyways. I have cookies to bake and dishes to do and a run I'm putting off.

Or you could say..
ETA: your reason for joining your friend in line is that you took a moment to finish your phone call.

Different than bumping into friend or acquaintance and joining them in line. And I could say the same thing that this really isn't a hard concept to grasp.

Alright, while this has been interesting I'm off for now anyways. I have cookies to bake and dishes to do and a run I'm putting off.

No.. it's not different at all. It's just a different excuse for cutting the line. It's deciding that finishing your phone call was more important than whatever those folks you cut were/could have been doing.

Enjoy your cookies.. personally I'm looking forward to starting some awesome potato salad that should be just about perfect by Monday!

No.. it's not different at all. It's just a different excuse for cutting the line. It's deciding that finishing your phone call was more important than whatever those folks you cut were/could have been doing.

Enjoy your cookies.. personally I'm looking forward to starting some awesome potato salad that should be just about perfect by Monday!

Hmm, we are just going to have to agree to disagree. Off topic- you have a potato salad recipe that is better if made in advance? That sounds awesome! I have to much to do on the 4th. Maybe I'll look for a similar recipe. Ok, now really need to go. Hahaha!

Oh man. I'm working the next 9 days. All this potato salad talk makes me sad I can't celebrate the 4th with my kids. What makes you all more important than me that you get the days off??

Lol I am pretty sure this is why I bend over backwards and get my kids Popsicles in line. Guilt for working all the time when we're not on vacation.

Last edited:
Yes it's my wife's recipe. You have to cook the potatoes (and she slices them thin) and then leave them overnight in the fridge steeping in whatever her secret mixture is. Then the next day she adds the mayo etc...(and she has a specific mayo.. Dukes)

Yuuuuuuuummmmmmmyyyyyy

Yes it's my wife's recipe. You have to cook the potatoes (and she slices them thin) and then leave them overnight in the fridge steeping in whatever her secret mixture is. Then the next day she adds the mayo etc...(and she has a specific mayo.. Dukes)

Yuuuuuuuummmmmmmyyyyyy
Pickle juice?

Honestly y'all. There is just as much self importance coming from those who refuse to let people go past them in line as you are spewing at those who admit to doing it.

I don't disagree. My time is important. Your time is important (general you.) So, if I need to join a line, I get at the end... and wait. If someone needs to use the restroom, we wait until they're finished to join the line. Because it would be simply unfair to other guests to shove past them in line. I'm not asking anyone to give me special treatment... just to join the line with their party.

For the record, if I see a parent and small child leave, I am more than happy to let them return. That is a vastly different circumstance than when Mom, her two kids, aunt, uncle and baby cousin push up 45 minutes into a 60 minute wait to meet Dad when we've never seen them before, because Dad acted as placeholder to a family. There's a huge difference between "stuff happens" and "we sent someone ahead so we didn't all have to wait" and "it wasn't worth our time to wait for our entire group to be ready, so instead we're going to inconvenience your group by shoving past.

BTW... the "pushing past" is as much of an issue as the "cutting" for some people. Lines are not designed to have folks passing other folks. That's why they're narrow, and walkways are wide. For those of us who may have "personal space issues" it's more than an inconvenience to be pushed past, have toes stepped on, be smashed against rails etc... all because someone felt their time was more important than that of those around them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter