Line Etiquette?

I understand that everyones time is equal. That being said, for us, this is really jarring to hear. Rather than just get a DAS card we wanted to try the lines and see how it goes. Now we know to go straight for the DAS for fear of being crucified if my son has an episode in line and someone takes him out then tries to come back when he calms down. I hate to label him, but do we put a sign on his back letting people know that we are testing out the "normal" lines? I guess the only option is go with the DAS and then have people make rude, uninformed comments about how we get to go to the front? What happened to compassion?

Sorry to be negative :-(

Honestly, DAS is not going to be an issue for 99% of the people you come across, especially among the locals who frequent DL regularly. Very few people will judge because most people are more aware than you think. I'm a special ed teacher and work with children with severe medical and behavioral disabilities. I have students who go frequently with their parents (like once a month or more). Their parents have flat out said they wouldn't be able to go on a trip without DAS. It really is for your and your child's benefit. The way DAS runs now, it's pretty fair. You essentially have to "check in" to most rides, then wait a given amount of time similar to the way a fastpass system works. It doesn't mean you can't try a normal line, but if it doesn't work out, know you have the DAS to help you. That's what it's for. No one is attacking you. I understand you're probably very sensitive about this, but really, Disneyland is not the place to be sensitive if your child has a legitimate disability that limits their ability to wait in line. It's not like he's going to wear a tag that says "I'm special" or anything like that. Seriously though, if your kid is a biter and known to have "meltdowns" where he's likely to take a chunk out of someone, I'd get the DAS no matter what. It's really for everyone's safety in that case.

Honestly, you won't be "crucified" for much at Disneyland. Disneyland does a great job of making people as happy as possible so that all that anger subsides. You don't have 5-10 people in your party, so I wouldn't worry about what we've all said about 1 person holding the line for big groups since it obviously doesn't apply to you. Honestly, OP wasn't very specific in the original question, so stuff happens. If they had mentioned qualifying for DAS or something, it would have gone differently.

I've got two very young children and they managed to do a 45 minute wait for Pixie Hollow. Bring snacks for distraction!!! That being said, we generally don't get in any line that's longer then 30 minutes. My boys just LOVE Tinkerbell haha.

Oh that Pixie Hollow line about killed me last year when we took my darling niece in September. That and the princess line. I can't believe how long they spent with each child. Which is at the same time nice and not so nice! LOL! But Tinkerbell did put on quite the routine for the kids. I hope they think the wait in line was worth it. I think it was harder on me than the kids in my party.

Oh that Pixie Hollow line about killed me last year when we took my darling niece in September. That and the princess line. I can't believe how long they spent with each child. Which is at the same time nice and not so nice! LOL! But Tinkerbell did put on quite the routine for the kids. I hope they think the wait in line was worth it. I think it was harder on me than the kids in my party.

Tinkerbell is ALWAYS worth it! It tends to be a highlight of our trip every time :)

i had to do this once, the CM had me ask permission of those around me and everyone said it was ok.

I understand that everyones time is equal. That being said, for us, this is really jarring to hear. Rather than just get a DAS card we wanted to try the lines and see how it goes. Now we know to go straight for the DAS for fear of being crucified if my son has an episode in line and someone takes him out then tries to come back when he calms down. I hate to label him, but do we put a sign on his back letting people know that we are testing out the "normal" lines? I guess the only option is go with the DAS and then have people make rude, uninformed comments about how we get to go to the front? What happened to compassion?

Sorry to be negative :-(

Chiming in here as someone who has a child who gets a DAS but doesn't always use it.

In the 7 trips we have taken with our son, no one has ever made a rude comment to us. I'm pretty sure that people have thought rude things or given us looks but I've never noticed and even if I did, I really would not care. I remember one time a few trips ago DS needed a break and sat down against the fence around Storybook Canals and played his Nintendo DS while DH and I sat and chatted. I'm sure some people saw us and thought "what poor parenting, coming all the way to Disneyland and letting your kid play a video game!" but no one said anything and if they had, I certainly would have felt comfortable responding.

Lauren, I think you might be getting worked up over something that will likely never be an issue, but as a fellow parent of a special needs kid, I understand why. Get the DAS if you think it will help but my advice for what it's worth is to try the regular stand by line and see how it goes. Your child might surprise you, I know mine does! :thumbsup2

I had one parent ask a CM why my child got to go in the special Dumbo line and didn't have to wait. The CM was very nice and basically told her it was none of her business (we use DAS and stroller as wheelchair). I don't worry what others say. And if my child is screaming and having a tantrum, I just deal with it. This is my daughter, take her or leave her. We are never embarrassed by her behavior because she can't help it!

Chiming in here as someone who has a child who gets a DAS but doesn't always use it.

In the 7 trips we have taken with our son, no one has ever made a rude comment to us. I'm pretty sure that people have thought rude things or given us looks but I've never noticed and even if I did, I really would not care. I remember one time a few trips ago DS needed a break and sat down against the fence around Storybook Canals and played his Nintendo DS while DH and I sat and chatted. I'm sure some people saw us and thought "what poor parenting, coming all the way to Disneyland and letting your kid play a video game!" but no one said anything and if they had, I certainly would have felt comfortable responding.

Lauren, I think you might be getting worked up over something that will likely never be an issue, but as a fellow parent of a special needs kid, I understand why. Get the DAS if you think it will help but my advice for what it's worth is to try the regular stand by line and see how it goes. Your child might surprise you, I know mine does! :thumbsup2

I'll second this. We get a DAS for my daughter; sometimes we use it, sometimes we don't. She does not look disabled in any way, but has some extremely severe sensory issues that manifest themselves in panic attacks if she's in an enclosed space like a queue for too long. Otherwise, she looks completely healthy and happy. I've never once gotten a rude comment or look (that I've noticed). I'm too busy having my own fun. :)

Last edited:

I just spent 10 days in the park last month and honestly, I hardly ever witnessed people jump up in line for whatever reason. Then again, we went at a time when many kids were in school and not during a holiday.

I haven't read through this whole thread, as I know this is always a hot-button topic around here. But I wanted to mention that we were at Legoland today, and "line etiquette" is a whole different world there. Many queues have Lego play areas for the kids to wait in while the parents are in line. So kids (and sometimes their supervising adults) leave the line, and go play. Then, when the line-waiter gets close to the boarding area, the kids and other adult(s) join them in the line. Lots of people seemed to use the lines as opportunities to go get some snacks, go to the bathroom, or even ride another ride while the line-waiter held their place. There were lots of "excuse me's" when people re-joined the line.

Never once did I see someone get upset. Everyone was very chill about it. And, at the risk of being flamed, I actually liked it :-)

I'm with the people who say it's generally not a big deal, but don't be arrogant about it. acknowledge that you're cheesing off people & that you are, frankly, imposing. That goes a very long way toward maintaining good relationships, if you will, w/ those in line & keeping things pleasant. But, yeah, try to avoid it w/ planning whenever you can.

I haven't read through this whole thread, as I know this is always a hot-button topic around here. But I wanted to mention that we were at Legoland today, and "line etiquette" is a whole different world there. Many queues have Lego play areas for the kids to wait in while the parents are in line. So kids (and sometimes their supervising adults) leave the line, and go play. Then, when the line-waiter gets close to the boarding area, the kids and other adult(s) join them in the line. Lots of people seemed to use the lines as opportunities to go get some snacks, go to the bathroom, or even ride another ride while the line-waiter held their place. There were lots of "excuse me's" when people re-joined the line.

Never once did I see someone get upset. Everyone was very chill about it. And, at the risk of being flamed, I actually liked it :-)

That's an interesting way for Lego to handle it & it's terrific that to works so well, but if I'm not mistaken, you cannot even ENTER Lego unless you have a child with you. DL & WDW are very different.

I went to Legoland with my husband and we didn't have children. We were allowed in.

We were waiting in line for the Matterhorn we had just gotten up to the front of the line and my youngest (then 6) had to go! My husband took him while my older son and myself rode the Matterhorn. My husband and my youngest came back and they let them go to the front without waiting and they were able to to ride! They are pretty understanding, it happens.

I went to Legoland with my husband and we didn't have children. We were allowed in.

I'm guessing that was Legoland Discovery Center (more like a children's museum) and not the actual Legoland theme park. They are totally different things. This conversation was about waiting in line for rides, not visiting what is essentially an indoor children's play area.

I have 4 boys ranging from ages 16-22. My youngest qualifies for a DAS but looks perfectly healthy. If my husband and I aren't with me they won't use the DAS- I guess when you are 4 teenage- and slightly older- kids, a lot of people assume you are abusing the system. They have had a lot of people make remarks. But if my husband or I is with them, we rarely hear remarks (occasionally but not often).

I'm guessing that was Legoland Discovery Center (more like a children's museum) and not the actual Legoland theme park. They are totally different things. This conversation was about waiting in line for rides, not visiting what is essentially an indoor children's play area.
This was the Legoland Theme Park in Carlsbad. Went with my husband and no kids. My husband is a lego fanatic so we went for the Las Vegas in legos city.

This was the Legoland Theme Park in Carlsbad. Went with my husband and no kids. My husband is a lego fanatic so we went for the Las Vegas in legos city.

Well, I personally know of several adults who have gone without kids. And when we were there this weekend, our hotel shuttle driver said that adults without kids go all the time. We were discussing this very topic because there was a single, adult male in the shuttle with our family. The shuttle driver said that he had a 65-year old couple visit just a couple of weeks ago (no kids).

If you look on the Legoland Discovery Center websites, they clearly state that adults will not be admitted without kids. This is not the case on the regular Legoland sites.

So whomever turned you away must not have known the rules. Sorry that happened to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter