Lincoln: the movies. did anyone go see it?

We went to see it Friday night. It was really good. There will be plenty of Oscar nominations I am sure.

A lot of the movie was filmed here in Richmond so it was really cool to see a lot of those parts too.

DH and I plan to see it this week also. I understand what you mean about not putting money into Bill O'Reilly's pocket, which is why I'm going to check the book out of the library.

Queen Colleen

Thank you. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to take her to see it. I'll have a discussion with her about the language before we go.

I think the first scene while not in any way gruesome is the only real battle scene in the movie. what made it so engrossing is that it's "hand to hand" battle, so you do see some very intense fighting but very very little blood. definitely no guts popping out that type of thing.

I actually thought the language wasn't too bad. the places where there were curses were mainly very emotional scenes, of course there are a instances of ******.

some pictures of slave brutality but if she's had any type of american history she may have seen them before.

for example.

you see one of the characters looking at this picture. scroll down the linked page.

http://www.nps.gov/liho/historyculture/slavery.htm

which is a very well used picture.

I heard Sally Field say that this was a role of a lifetime for her. She pretty much stalked Steven Spielburg! I guess he didn't want to cast her originally. I adore her!

She was GREAT in this movie! I've always been a fan of SF, but she really brought it this time.

I really really liked this movie. I love a good, deep, cerebral film. No CGI, no fancy stunts. Don't take your eye and ears off the screen, or you'll miss something important. Daniel Day-Lewis is outstanding, as is Tommy Lee Jones. Excellent, excellent film :thumbsup2

We brought our 11 & 13 year old to it. Quite a bit of bad language (my DD said it was the first time she heard someone say **** in a movie). It was a great movie, I don't think the language stood out too much to the kids because it was such a great story. I might not have brought them had I known they would say that word so much.

I hate to say it, but your kids probably hear "that word" every day at school. :rolleyes1 The relatively small amount of cursing that goes on in this movie was authentic, IMO. It was war-time, after all. I imagine that there was a LOT more of it in real life.

OK, so I have only seen the trailers for this movie. I really thought I would love to see it but (and I guess I'm just weird or something) my mental image of Lincoln has always been someone with a deep, James-Earl-Jones voice. This actor has such a high-pitched girly voice that I am afraid it would ruin it for me!

I loveStitchnippyjon said:
OK, so I have only seen the trailers for this movie. I really thought I would love to see it but (and I guess I'm just weird or something) my mental image of Lincoln has always been someone with a deep, James-Earl-Jones voice. This actor has such a high-pitched girly voice that I am afraid it would ruin it for me!

I heard (and I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert) that, this version is more authentic.

Historians say that Lincoln had a high pitched voice, so did General Patton.

According to history, Lincoln did have a high-pitched voice.

I think the first scene while not in any way gruesome is the only real battle scene in the movie. what made it so engrossing is that it's "hand to hand" battle, so you do see some very intense fighting but very very little blood. definitely no guts popping out that type of thing.

I actually thought the language wasn't too bad. the places where there were curses were mainly very emotional scenes, of course there are a instances of ******.

some pictures of slave brutality but if she's had any type of american history she may have seen them before.

for example.

you see one of the characters looking at this picture. scroll down the linked page.

http://www.nps.gov/liho/historyculture/slavery.htm

which is a very well used picture.

I'm so glad you pre-faced this saying it was a spoiler. I didn't want to read that maybe he was killed or something. :rotfl::rotfl:

I saw it a couple of weeks ago at a sneak preview. It was one of the best movies I have seen this year. Daniel Day Lewis was incredible in that movie!

I posted a link a couple of weeks ago that I found interesting. I'll post it again since it is Lincoln related...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_iq5yzJ-Dk&feature=player_embedded
This is from a 1956 game show - "I've Got a Secret". In the show, panelists have to figure out a contestant's secret. If the panel is stumped, the contestant wins. Samuel Seymour (age 96) is the contestant. His secret - he was at the Ford's Theater and witnessed the assassination of Lincoln. At the time, he was the last living eyewitness from the theater.

Yes, what a beautiful film! It's definitely oscar worthy in my book. Incredible work by all!

I'm planning to take DS9 to see it on Tues. We just got done reading a Lincoln bio and visiting the Lincoln Presidential Museum in Springfield IL :)

I think there are some scenes that might be hard for a younger child to watch.

Slight Spoilers:

There is a wheel barrow full of amputated limbs with dripping blood.
There are scenes of Lincoln riding a horse through the battle scene with hundreds of dead bodies.

Actually, the movie is loosely based on the book by Doris Kearns Goodwin called "Team of Rivals."

I thought this was a great movie. Kudo's to Spielberg for how he handled the assassination.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter