Let them eat steak (and maybe some cake too) Nov. 9 -14, 2011 COMPLETE

We decided to spend the last few hours of our trip in Epcot's World Showcase, where our quest for sweet treats began in Germany at...

IMG_4799.jpg

Karamell Kuche

IMG_4846.jpg

DS chose this...

Desserts1.jpg

Chocolate and Caramel Covered Strawberry

While I got some of my KK favorites to take home.

CaramelRoll.jpg

Caramel Roll with Marshmallow Cream

IMG_4591-2.jpg

Small Bag of Caramel Corn

Then we moved on to the bakery in France, Boulangerie Patisserie, so I could get my favorite World Showcase dessert...

Desserts2.jpg

The Scrumptious Napoleon :love:

NEXT UP: Take-out dinners from Boardwalk Bakery

I got the idea for our last Disney meal of this trip from someone here on the disboards. Unfortunately I can't recall who that was or I would give them credit, but whoever it was...thank you so much for the brilliant idea! :worship:

So it was almost time for us to catch the Magical Express bus to the airport, but on our walk back from Epcot to the Boardwalk Inn we made a stop at the Boardwalk Bakery for this...

BBSandwich.jpg

Turkey, Bacon and Swiss Sandwich on multigrain bread with potato chips

We actually got two of these and both of us really enjoyed our Disney meal during the plane ride home. It definitely helped to combat the blues that always sets in at the end of a Disney trip. :sad1:

NEXT UP: Results of Our Steak Challenge

RESULTS OF OUR DISNEY STEAK CHALLENGE - PART I

First for DS findings. He had 4 steaks during this 6 day trip, all of which he enjoyed. But one of these he enjoyed much, much more than the others. Can you guess which one?

Here is a quick review of his four steaks:

FROM YACHTSMAN STEAKHOUSE

YSH4.jpg

12 oz. "Prime" New York Strip Steak with sweet potato beignets (but normally served with Carmody potato gratin) and peppercorn brandy sauce - $42.00

Steak was good but he didn't really care for the sauce. It was a little undercooked (more on the medium side than medium-well) but he was too hungry to send it back. Didn't enjoy the beignets quite as much as he thought he would.

FROM SHULA'S

Shulas4.jpg

16 oz. New York Strip (no side dish included) $41.95

For the same price as YSH, you get a bigger steak and the meat is a slightly better quality. However, the price does not include any side dishes. This time his steak was more on the well-done side than medium-well, with no pink in the center. Also, it was not served with any sauce on top or on the side and very little seasoning. However, he enjoyed the Shula NY strip a little more than the one at YSH.

FROM CORAL REEF

CoralReef4.jpg

Grilled New York Strip Steak with French Fries (but normally served with horseradish smashed potatoes) and asparagus - $31.99

Previously this steak had been DS's favorite Disney steak. Although he again enjoyed it, it didn't quite measure up to the previous two in terms of quality. However, it was also $10 cheaper so was probably a better value, as he enjoyed it almost as much as the $42 steaks from YSH and Shula's.

FROM CALIFORNIA GRILL

CAGrill4-1.jpg

Oak-fired Filet of Beef with Buttered Purple Stokes Potatoes, Broccolini, Pumpkin Seed Oil, and Teriyaki Barbecue Sauce - $47

He absolutely loved this steak!:worship: It was cooked perfectly (medium-well) and was tender and flavorful. He really enjoyed the teriyaki barbecue sauce and even liked the potatoes (despite their weird purple color). ;) Although this was the most expensive steak, he thought it was well-worth the extra money. You also must take into account that it was a filet, so a more expensive cut.

So California Grill was the clear winner of the Steak Challenge for DS and he now has a new favorite Disney steak. :thumbsup2

I'll add my results shortly, so please stay tuned. :)

RESULTS OF OUR DISNEY STEAK CHALLENGE - PART II

My results were a bit different than those of DS's. I had 3 steaks on this trip, all different steaks than the ones chosen by DS. All three steaks were from steakhouses and were filets (my preferred steak cut).

Here is a quick review of my steaks:

From Shula's

Shulas5.jpg

12 oz. Filet Mignon (no side dish included) - $43.95

This was a huge filet (probably the biggest I've ever had) so DH and I were able to easily share it along with an appetizer, soups, and a couple of side dishes. The quality of the beef was excellent, however we were disappointed with its preparation. We ordered it medium-well and it was overcooked (no pink whatsoever). It also had little or no seasoning and we didn't really care for the sauce (I believe it was bearnaise) that was served with it (on the side). Consequently, we were both underwhelmed by this steak. Given Shula's reputation here on the DIS, my expectations had been quite high but this steak fell short and left me wondering...is it just me???:confused3

FROM LE CELLIER

IMAG0095-1.jpg

Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon with Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes (but normally served with wild mushroom risotto) and white truffle-herb butter sauce - $26.99

Although the quality of the beef was much higher at Shula's, for $17 less this was a really good steak. I really enjoyed the sauce and it did a good job of hiding the somewhat inferior quality of the meat. And although I enjoy the mushroom risotto that normally comes with the filet, I love the cream cheese mashed potatoes. So I would have to say that I actually enjoyed Le Cellier's filet more than Shula's, especially given the big price difference. Sorry Shula's fans. :(

And last but definitely not least...FROM YACHTSMAN STEAKHOUSE

YSH5.jpg

8 oz. Center Cut Filet Mignon with Mashed Potatoes and Cabernet Wine Sauce - $40.00

I have eaten at YSH three times now and each time I have ordered the filet. Each time it has been cooked as ordered (medium-well) and has been tender and delicious, especially with the red wine sauce that accompanies it. So although Shula's filet has the slight edge in quality and is much larger in size, I much prefer the preparation of the YSH filet. And as an added bonus it is $4 cheaper and comes with mashed potatoes, a very tasty side dish. :thumbsup2
In comparison to Le Cellier, IMHO again Yachtsman comes out on top and is worth the extra money. For me, the closest competition that YSH has would be the filet at California Grill. However, since I prefer the red wine sauce over CA Grill's teriyaki barbeque, Yachtsman is still the winner!

So our final results...One vote for California Grill and one vote for Yachtsman Steakhouse.

NEXT (& LAST) UP: Our final thoughts

Such great, great reviews- thanks for making me drool on a rainy Sunday afternoon in NJ!! :thumbsup2

It's time to wrap up this review 'cause I'll soon be starting another one. Yep, in just 10 days I'll be back to my happy place! :woohoo:

But before I begin my next dining review (pre-trip), I must first finish this one. So without further delay, here are my final thoughts:

Although this was a relatively short trip (only 5 days), we managed to squeeze in 10 TS meals as well as a whole lot of Food & Wine festival noshing. :eek:

Of these 10, my top three meals of the trip were Yachtsman Steakhouse, Le Cellier, and California Grill. And if I had to choose the best of the best it would have to be...

contemporary2-0141.jpg

With a combination of great food (with the exception of DH's entree), excellent service, and a table with a great view of the castle and fireworks, our meal at California Grill outshined all the others. And DS was in total agreement with me, also choosing CA Grill as his favorite meal of the trip. :thumbsup2

The only difference of opinion came from DH, who instead preferred our meal Le Cellier. I think this was mostly due to his dislike of his entrée at CA Grill. :sad2:

So with California Grill coming out on top on two of my last three trips, I would have to say that it is currently my favorite Signature restaurant. But then again I've not yet been to bluezoo, Il Mulino, Victoria & Albert's, Bistro de Paris, Fulton's, or Wolfgang Puck. I'll be trying half of these out for the first time on my next trip though. So please check out my review to find out which ones and if any of them are able to knock CA Grill from the #1 Spot that it currently holds for me. ;)

NEXT UP: A Whole New Dining Review! :cool1:

I haven't had the filet at Cali Grill but I think it needs to be on my list! We are going to Yachtsman in August so I will have another place to rank our steak experience. Thanks for sharing your rankings and comparisons - this is really, really helpful.

How exciting that you will be back at WDW in less than 2 weeks! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter