Let them eat steak (and maybe some cake too) Nov. 9 -14, 2011 COMPLETE

Thanks for the reviews! We're planning a trip for the 2012 F&W Festival (never been), and I'm searching for every F&W review I can find on these boards. Can't wait to read more!

I'll have the review from our last visit to the F & W Festival up very soon so stay tuned. :thumbsup2

Following our breakfast at Kona Café, we spent a very enjoyable morning at Magic Kingdom. And the reason it was so enjoyable was that there was not many people here…in fact, I think that was least crowded I have ever seen Magic Kingdom in all my many visits. So on a Sunday morning, Nov. 13th, we arrived right around park opening and were able to ride all the rides we wanted (a few more than once) without getting even one Fast Pass and were ready to leave for Epcot by noon. And we even sat (napped) through an entire show at the Hall of Presidents! It was like a dream come true. :cloud9: Of course, we figured that Epcot would be a different story since it was the last day of the Food & Wine Festival. However, we were pleasantly surprised to find that the crowd level in World Showcase wasn’t that bad, and nowhere close to what it had been the night before. So I reloaded my gift card wristband and we were all ready for our final visit for….

LUNCH AT THE FOOD & WINE FESTIVAL BOOTHS

Again, here is our rating system:

:eek: Where is the closest trash can?

:rolleyes: Well, that was a disappointment

:thumbsup2 Pretty good, worth a try

:cool1: Very good, just missed getting top marks

:worship: OMG so very good, one of our TOP FIVE FAVORITES of the festival!

Upon entering World Showcase from Future World we veered to the left and stopped at the first booth, which was…

AUSTRALIA

Where we tried these:

FWF12.jpg

:cool1: Grilled Lamb Chop with Potato-Goat Cheese Salad and Shiraz Reduction
and
:thumbsup2 Greg Norman Estates Shiraz

We quickly found a lakeside standing table, where the guys remained while I went to the next booth…

BRAZIL

And brought back this…

FWF13.jpg

:cool1: Seared Mahi Mahi with Steamed Rice, Hearts of Palm and Coconut-Lime Sauce

My next stop was at…

ARGENTINA

Where I managed to balance these three items in my two hands…

IMAG0098.jpg

:thumbsup2 Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimichurri Sauce and Boniato Puree
and
:thumbsup2 Beef Empanada
and
:cool1: Terrazas Reserva Torrontes

Next I made a quick stop at the…

CARIBBEAN

To pick up a Dragon Berry Colada, on my way to…

MEXICO

Where I encountered my first real line in order to get this…

IMAG0099.jpg

:worship: Shrimp Taco
and
:worship: Frozen Dragon Berry Colada (from Caribbean)

While standing in line at Mexico, I received a phone call from DS saying that he was getting a snack at La Cantina and I should meet him and DH at a table inside the La Hacienda restaurant. As it turns out, his snack was a big plateful of nachos. Sorry I didn’t have him take a picture of them because I was a little ticked with him right about then. :headache: He knew that I wanted to try and get to the remaining 14 booths today (the last day of the festival), even if we just tried one thing from each. But now he had pretty much filled up on nachos and was ready to call it a day and head back to our room at the Boardwalk for a nap. :rolleyes: I did manage to talk him into having some dessert with us so I went on to…

SCANDINAVIA

Where I got this…

FWF14.jpg

:cool1: Rice Pudding with Driscoll’s Only the Finest Berries

And I also made a stop for another dessert at…

CHINA

FWF15.jpg

:thumbsup2 Caramel-Ginger Ice Cream

As you can see from the lid, this is the same ice cream that is served at the Lotus Blossom Cafe.

And that was it for DS, we were only half way done and DH and I were on our own!!! :eek: Would we be able to complete my quest to try something from each of the booths of the Food & Wine Festival??? Stay tuned for Part II.

Ooh...those pineapple pancakes look good! Just curious...is the pineapple warm? Not like I'm picky or anything, lol!

And, I was glad to read that your dh found someone to take his eggs back for a redo! Of all the things to undercook, eggs have to be the worst!

Thanks for sharing the pics from this breakfast!

LUNCH AT THE FOOD & FESTIVAL - PART II

Knowing that we would need to pace ourselves if we were going to get through the last 7 booths, I got only one item each at the next two booths…

SOUTH KOREA and SOUTH AFRICA

FWF18.jpg

:cool1: Myung Jak Bokbunjajoo (Raspberry Wine from South Korea)
and
:thumbsup2Seared Filet of Beef with Smashed Sweet Potatoes and Braai Sauce

These two items surprised us. I didn’t think we would like the Raspberry Wine, but ended up liking it a lot. On the other hand, I thought the Beef and Sweet Potatoes would be a favorite for us but it didn’t end up receiving high marks.

With 5 booths to go, we had nearly reached our food limit so got only drinks from the next two booths…

CHEESE and BREWER’S COLLECTION

FWF20.jpg

:rolleyes: Sterling Pinot Noir Vintners Collection (from the Cheese Booth)
and
:thumbsup2 Altenmunster Oktoberfest Beer (from the Brewer’s Collection Booth)

We were surprised to find that neither of us liked the Sterling Pinot Noir, as we generally like most Pinot Noirs that we’ve tried. I wanted something sweet to remove the bitter taste of the wine from my mouth so I went on to…

GERMANY
Where I got this…

FWF22.jpg

:thumbsup2 Apple Strudel Featuring Werther’s Original Karamel Sauce and Vanilla Sauce

This was pretty good, but I couldn’t help but wish that it was served warm. Warm apples and caramel sauce would have been heavenly. :cloud9:

We were now quite full, but last year one of our favorite foods from the Festival came from the next booth…

POLAND

FWF21.jpg

:eek: Golabki (Pork-stuffed cabbage)

I’m pretty sure that this was completely different from the Golabki that we had here last year, and neither of us liked it. In fact, it was pretty greasy and most of it ended up in the garbage. :sad2:

One last booth to go…

ITALY

I had wanted to try the ravioli here, but at this point I knew there was no way we could eat another bite. I noticed that they had a smoothie on their menu and DS loves smoothies, so I got this…

FWF23.jpg

:thumbsup2 Primavera Smoothie

This was the last booth, so we wrapped the smoothie up in several napkins to keep it cold and immediately brought it back to the room for DS, who said he really didn’t like it. :rolleyes: I tried a few sips and thought it was pretty good. :confused3

But anyway, I was very happy because, unlike last year’s attempt, this time we were successful in visiting all of the booths and my Food & Wine Festival passport was complete. You just gotta love the Food & Wine Festival! :love:

NEXT UP: Dinner at California Grill

Okey...I am full....ROFL..

I loved the photos and your description of them all....I think sometime I will make it to these places to try them all..

We usually go to the Flower Power time...NO FOOD just entertainment..and flowers..

Thanks so much for your great reviews and taking the time to do this

Off topic...

Thanks for the tip about Giacomo's! DD(17) and I were in Boston visiting a university at which she is an accepted student...and though we had very little time to spend in Boston, we had enough to discover that there was a Giacomo's within EASY walking distance of our hotel (and her perspective U.). In other words, we couldn't get over to the North End this trip, but thankfully, Giacomo's has a second shop in the Back Bay!! Oh, let us please take this amazing restaurant out of the decision-making process!! ;)

We had a fantastic antipasta to share, DD had gnocchi stuffed with goat cheese and roasted pepper puree, and I had Frutti di Mare Fra Diavolo. We shared an almond cake for dessert. Everything was sooooo YUMMY! And thanks to your advice, we had the cash on hand to pay! GREAT TIP, and THANK YOU again!

I'm still really enjoying your reviews, too!

Ooh...those pineapple pancakes look good! Just curious...is the pineapple warm? Not like I'm picky or anything, lol!

I am not 100% certain, but I don't remember the pineapple being either warm or cold. So maybe it was room temperature???:confused3 But I do remember how delicious those pancakes were! :love:

Okey...I am full....ROFL..

I loved the photos and your description of them all....I think sometime I will make it to these places to try them all..

We usually go to the Flower Power time...NO FOOD just entertainment..and flowers..

I know, I can't believe we ate that much food in one afternoon! :lmao:

I also like going during the Flower & Garden Festival time, but if I had to choose between them I would pick the Food & Wine Fest. Definitely give it a try sometime! :thumbsup2

Off topic...

Thanks for the tip about Giacomo's! DD(17) and I were in Boston visiting a university at which she is an accepted student...and though we had very little time to spend in Boston, we had enough to discover that there was a Giacomo's within EASY walking distance of our hotel (and her perspective U.). In other words, we couldn't get over to the North End this trip, but thankfully, Giacomo's has a second shop in the Back Bay!! Oh, let us please take this amazing restaurant out of the decision-making process!! ;)

We had a fantastic antipasta to share, DD had gnocchi stuffed with goat cheese and roasted pepper puree, and I had Frutti di Mare Fra Diavolo. We shared an almond cake for dessert. Everything was sooooo YUMMY! And thanks to your advice, we had the cash on hand to pay! GREAT TIP, and THANK YOU again!

I'm still really enjoying your reviews, too!

YAY!!!! I'm so glad you tried and liked Giacomo's. :woohoo: I wish they had a third restaurant near Disney World! :rotfl:

I'll have my California Grill review up this evening so please stay tuned! :wave:

BACKGROUND: Our last two meals at California Grill have been two very different experiences. On our Anniversary trip in Nov. 2010, DH and I had a nearly perfect dinner here. The food, service, and atmosphere were all excellent and it was by far our favorite Signature meal of the 6 we had on that trip. Therefore it was one of the first meals I booked on my Birthday trip in May 2011. This time though, DD and I had just an okay meal here and it ended up being one of our least favorite of the 7 Signature meals we had then. So would this third experience be a hit like our Nov. 2010 visit or a miss like May 2011??? Read my review to find out. ;)

CALIFORNIA GRILL

SHORT VERSION

Highlights - Filet, Valrhona Chocolate Cake, Great Service & View

Disappointments - Pasta Special

Would we Return? - Definitely

LONG VERSION

My brother-in-law (DH's brother and a Florida resident) joined us for this meal. This was an unplanned addition, as he originally thought he wouldn't be able to see us this trip due to work commitments. However, he called us the night before to ask if he could join us and luckily I was able to change our reservation from a party of 3 to 4 at the Boardwalk Concierge desk without any problem. Anyway, DBIL picked us up from the Boardwalk and drove us to the Contemporary, so happily we did not have to deal with the Disney bus transportation system. We checked in on time at the downstairs desk for our 7:20 reservation and I politely asked if we could wait for a table by the window. After being given a buzzer, we were directed to take the elevator upstairs and then we found some chairs to sit and wait. It wasn't long though before our buzzer went off and we were led to a table next to the windows in the far right section. I think it may have even been the exact same table as we had on our anniversary trip, so I was quite happy! :)

Here is a picture of the view from our table:

CAGrill9-1.jpg

Now on to the food, of which there was plenty! DS started by ordering this:

CAGrill1-1.jpg

Rotisserie BBQ Chicken - with chipotle-corn salsa, roasted peppers and smoked cheddar

He politely shared this with the whole table and it was quite good. :thumbsup2

For his appetizer , DBIL had this:

CAGrill3-1.jpg

Heirloom Apple Salad - Fourme d'ambert, spiced pecans, and apple vinaigrette

I didn't get to taste this but it looked very good and he seemed to enjoy it.

Now DH loves to have soup as an appetizer and the menu only had one soup listed...

CAGrill2-1.jpg

Creamy Parsnip and Sunchoke Soup - apple gastrique, truffled goat cheese gourgere (1/2 portion pictured)

He insisted that I share it with him, so they split the portion in half and served us each our own bowl. I really didn't think I would like this but it turned out to be pretty good. The apple gave it a slightly sweet flavor, which made it different from most soups.

For their entrees, DBIL and DS each ordered...

CAGrill4-1.jpg

Oak-fired Filet of Beef with Buttered Purple Stokes Potatoes, Broccolini, Pumpkin Seed Oil, and Teriyaki Barbecue Sauce

OUR DISNEY STEAK CHALLENGE - PART IV

DS absolutely loved his meal! :love: He said the Filet was one of the best steaks he had had in his life and definitely the best of the trip by far. He let me have a small taste and I agreed that it was very good. Although it was slightly larger and thicker than my Yachtsman filet, I still preferred the one at YSH. To be honest though, I think this is due more to the sauce than the meat itself, as I prefer the Cabernet wine sauce served with the Yachtsman filet. Regarding the purple potatoes, DS was a little wary when he saw their color but ended up liking them. I think Purple Stoke potatoes are part of the sweet potato family and he loves sweet potatoes, so I was not at all surprised that he enjoyed these...once he got past their dark purple color. :lmao:

As for me, I wanted something a little lighter so for my entree I ordered this from the Appetizer/First Course section of the menu:

CAGrill5-1.jpg

Crispy Rock Shrimp Salad - with Florida citrus, red onions, soy reduction, and wasabi cream

I really, really enjoyed everything about this salad...the plentiful crispy shrimp, the greens, the fruit, and the soy and wasabi cream dressing. All was delicious! However, this was quite filling so I can't imagine having this as an appetizer and still having room left for an entree. But I loved this salad and would definitely order it again for my Main Course. :thumbsup2

Now for the one disappointment of our meal. For his entree, DH ordered the Pasta Special (which was the Vegetarian option)...

CAGrill6-1.jpg

Autumn Squash Lasagna - Ricotta Grits, Squash-Apple Hash, Brown Butter Bechamel, and Cranberry Marmalade

I'm not sure what he was thinking when he ordered this, but I suspect he was thinking about the Butternut Squash Ravioli that he'd enjoyed so much at Giacomo's in Boston during our trip to New England last summer. Although the individual ingredients of this entree sound good on paper, in reality when combined they were pretty awful. Since this was a $31 entree, I tried to get him to ask for something else but he felt like it was own fault for ordering it and decided to just grin and bear it. :rolleyes:

Ok, now on to better things...of the sweet and chocolate variety. ;) For dessert, DS and I shared this...

CAGrill7-1.jpg

S'Mores Valrhona Chocolate Cake - Warm chocolate cake w/molten center, Tahitian vanilla marshmallow, graham cracker sable, and peanut butter gelato.

Oh my, this was so good! I've had different versions of this cake at the California Grill (last time was with strawberries), but this is definitely my favorite. This version is in my top 3 Disney restaurant desserts, along with the Chocolate Banana Tart from Citricos and the Almond-crusted Cheesecake from Narcoossee's.

For his dessert, DBIL had this...

CAGrill8-1.jpg

Gianduja Mousse with Cocoa Nib Tuile - hazelnuts, cappuccino Anglaise, and Bailey's ice cream

Again I didn't get to taste this, but it looked very good and he seemed to enjoy it.

As we were enjoying our desserts and coffee, we had a great view of the fireworks show from the comfort of our table. What a fantastic ending to a very enjoyable meal!

Our server, Jason, provided us with very good service throughout our meal. This combined with excellent food (with only one exception) and a wonderful view of the castle from our table, made this dinner another hit for us! :thumbsup2

OUR TRIP TOTALS - STEAKS 6, CAKES 3

NEXT UP: Breakfast Cupcake from Boardwalk Bakery :laughing:

Looks like you had a wonderful dinner at CG
The vegetarian entree sounds wonderful and is the sort of thing I would have ordered; shame it didn't live up to expectations
Everything else looks great :)

The s'mores chocolate cake at California Grill looks incredible. I don't think it's on the menu anymore, but now I'm looking forward to trying Cali Grill again :goodvibes

Looks like you had a wonderful dinner at CG
The vegetarian entree sounds wonderful and is the sort of thing I would have ordered; shame it didn't live up to expectations
Everything else looks great :)

Yes, I felt really bad for DH, as the rest of us were really happy with our choices and enjoyed our food at California Grill. And this was the same day as he was served the uncooked eggs for breakfast at Kona Cafe. It was just not a good day for him, food wise. :guilty:

The s'mores chocolate cake at California Grill looks incredible. I don't think it's on the menu anymore, but now I'm looking forward to trying Cali Grill again :goodvibes

And I am so looking forward to your review of California Grill and all your other restaurant reviews too. :surfweb:

DAY 6 - Our Last Day

DH had an early flight home, so DS and I were on our own this day. So we started today by having a healthy and nutritious breakfast. :rotfl:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you our breakfast...

BBCupcake.jpg

S'Mores Cupcake

This incredibly delicious cupcake from the Boardwalk Bakery consisted of chocolate cake filled with chocolate chunk frosting and topped with a marshmallow/vanilla buttercream combo frosting. Then it was dusted with graham cracker crumbs, drizzled with more chocolate, and a few small toasted marshmallows placed on the top. For a S'more lover like I am, this was PURE HEAVEN! :cloud9:

OUR TRIP TOTALS - STEAKS 6, CAKES 4

NEXT UP: Lunch at Coral Reef

I've been MIA :sad2: I know. I'm almost done with my TR and then I'll be back. Your F/W pictures are making me hungry. I had the best time trying everything last year and can't wait until this year!!

The french onion soup at Shula's is really good!! My steak was just meh in November too. I wished I would have had the crab cake again instead.

The Cali Grill redeemed itself with us in November and I have is scheduled twice for our trip coming up in May!

I know I'm late to the party, but I wanted to stop in and say hi! :wave:

I've been MIA :sad2: I know. I'm almost done with my TR and then I'll be back. Your F/W pictures are making me hungry. I had the best time trying everything last year and can't wait until this year!!

The french onion soup at Shula's is really good!! My steak was just meh in November too. I wished I would have had the crab cake again instead.

The Cali Grill redeemed itself with us in November and I have is scheduled twice for our trip coming up in May!

I know I'm late to the party, but I wanted to stop in and say hi! :wave:

Hi Deena! :wave: I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one here that wasn't all that impressed with the steaks at Shula's. ;) The rest of our food was yummy though. Didn't try the crab cake, but maybe next time. Anyway, thanks so much for stopping by to say hello. :)

A nice healthy start to the day - that's what vacations are for :thumbsup2

Enjoyed all your reviews.

Subbing--I am really enjoying your reviews! Thanks for sharing! :)

Thank you to your both for reading! The next review will be up shortly. :thumbsup2

BACKGROUND: As you may recall from my first post, my DS’s opinion that the New York Strip at Coral Reef is the best steak on Disney property was the basis for this trip’s Disney Steak Challenge. After having steak at two steakhouses (Yachtsman and Shula’s) plus California Grill, do you think his opinion has changed? Stay tuned for this final installment of our DISNEY STEAK CHALLENGE to find out. ;)

Lunch at CORAL REEF

SHORT VERSION

Highlights: Being seated at a tankside table

Disappointments: Nothing major

Would we return? – Not for awhile

LONG VERSION

We arrived about 10 minutes early for our 11:30 a.m. (the restaurant’s opening time) ADR at Coral Reef and asked if we could be seated at a table next to the tank. When they began seating guests, I was happy that they honored my request and seated us by the tank, where we were lucky to have this dining companion during most of our lunch.

CoralReef6.jpg

While DS already knew what he was going to order, I needed to take a look at the current menu in order to decide.

CoralReef2.jpg

We skipped the appetizers and went straight to ordering our entrees. DS of course ordered…

CoralReef4.jpg

Grilled New York Strip Steak with French Fries and Asparagus

This is normally served with horseradish smashed potatoes, but he wanted french fries instead. So what was his opinion of the steak? Although he thought it was very good (and ate every single bite), it was not in the same league as the filet he had at California Grill the night before. However, to be fair, the price ($32) of the Coral Reef steak is also not in the same league as the filet price at California Grill ($47).

On my last two visits to Coral Reef I had ordered and enjoyed the Mahi Mahi, but this time I decided to try something different…

CoralReef5.jpg

Caesar Salad with Shrimp added

I enjoyed this very much. The lettuce tasted fresh and crisp and the dressing, croutons, and parmesan shavings were all quite tasty. I especially liked the parmesan cheese wafer crisp that came with the salad. It is difficult to see in the picture, but is in the upper left-hand corner. Also, for an extra $5.50 I had shrimp added. With the addition of the four (or maybe five) cocktail shrimp, this salad was a light, yet filling lunch option. And as an added bonus, at $17.49 it was also the least expensive entrée on the Coral Reef lunch menu. The only negative was that I couldn’t help but compare it to the delicious Crispy Rock Shrimp salad I had had the night before at California Grill. Not only was it bigger and better than Coral Reef’s, but at a price of $17 it was less expensive.

We decided to hold off on dessert and instead have some sweet treats from World Showcase later. So that concludes our last sit-down meal of the trip, but there is still more tasty food to come so please stay tuned. :thumbsup2

OUR TRIP TOTALS - STEAKS 7, CAKES 4

NEXT UP: Sweet Treats from World Showcase

Great review of Coral Reef! I love sitting and watching the tank, but I'm always disappointed by the food there now. That shrimp caesar salad does look pretty good though...I'm kind of tempted to return now. :laughing:

We've never tried Coral Reef as we always seen to end up dining in world showcase but your review has really made me want to try it
It must be wonderul to get a table next to the tank :)

Great review of Coral Reef! I love sitting and watching the tank, but I'm always disappointed by the food there now. That shrimp caesar salad does look pretty good though...I'm kind of tempted to return now. :laughing:

We've never tried Coral Reef as we always seen to end up dining in world showcase but your review has really made me want to try it
It must be wonderul to get a table next to the tank :)

Foodwise, there are much better choices in World Showcase but the atmosphere at Coral Reef can be wonderful. I have found that the best time to go there is an early lunch. Make an 11:30 ADR (opening time), check-in a little early and ask if it would be possible to be seated next to the aquarium. Also it seems to be much quieter if you beat the crowds and have a early lunch. DH and I had a late lunch there one time and not only was the restaurant packed but the noise was deafening. :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter