Let me make an appeal... DCL guidelines

Because one of my favorite wines costs $8 a bottle and DCL charges $7 a glass. Because we and many others will bring wine that DCL does not sell. Because I like to sit on my balcony and enjoy a drink or two after dinner so it is nice to have it in my room already. Because my DH and I like certain beers that DCL does not have.
I don't know why people insist it is such a hassle. I put a few bottles of wine in a wine carrier and bring it on-board. Easy.

We just purchased one of these this year and what a relief. It's so convenient and it has a shoulder strap. Holds two bottles of wine and includes corkscrew and glasses. Don't know why we didn't do it sooner.

As for why go through the hassle: because a cruiseline's prices for wine, beer, soda and bottled water is ridiculous. And as noted above, we like have the convenience of these beverages in our room. After 11 cruises, we have it down to a science. ;)

We have our car service stop at Publix on the way to the port, which has a liquor store next store. We stock up on a few bottles of water for excursions ($3/bottle onboard), a six pack of coke, a six pack of beer and a couple of bottles of wine. All total, last time we spent a total of about $32. Helluva lot cheaper than buying all this onboard. And for us, it's not a hassle -- we bring a collapsible roll on and just put everything in it right at the store and roll it onboard. It's not a cooler, but a rolling suitcase. Then coming home we use it for souvenirs! :thumbsup2

Agree that DCL makes rules and then doesn't enforce them. On our last cruise we overheard the table next to us tell their server that they would not be at dinner the next night because they didn't bring dress up clothes. They weren't upset and said they would go to Topsiders or quick serve. The server told them "This is YOUR cruise. You can wear whatever YOU want." Why have a dress code if a.) it's not enforced and b.) CMs are TELLING people not to follow the rules. As much as I love getting dressed up, after three cruises we have decided to stop packing suits and cocktail dresses.

This one is different to me: Disney states their dining attire as SUGGESTED, not required. Remy requires a jacket, but formal night in the dining room simply suggests one. We do not dress formal on formal night either. I pack something dark so that we don't stick out, but it is not a gown. Often it is simply black pants with a nicer and dark top. There is no rule stating I cannot dress this way.

To me the above is different than trying to bring a rolling cooler. There is an actual rule against that. Disney is not suggesting that you not bring one. They are stating that rolling coolers are not allowed.

This one is different to me: Disney states their dining attire as SUGGESTED, not required. Remy requires a jacket, but formal night in the dining room simply suggests one. We do not dress formal on formal night either. I pack something dark so that we don't stick out, but it is not a gown. Often it is simply black pants with a nicer and dark top. There is no rule stating I cannot dress this way.

To me the above is different than trying to bring a rolling cooler. There is an actual rule against that. Disney is not suggesting that you not bring one. They are stating that rolling coolers are not allowed.

The problem comes when someone shows up with some monster 100 quart "party on wheels" cooler expecting to board the ship

Raspberry Beret said:
What's so sad about that statement? :confused3 It's the truth. Why make rules if you aren't going to enforce them?

I think it is sad because it takes the responsibility away from the individual. It makes me sad that our society seems to always look for reasons not to place blame on the guilty party. The rule breakers are the ones in the wrong, not Disney. They wouldn't have to enforce the rules if we would just do the RIGHT thing and obey. :/

I think it is sad because it takes the responsibility away from the individual. It makes me sad that our society seems to always look for reasons not to place blame on the guilty party. The rule breakers are the ones in the wrong, not Disney. They wouldn't have to enforce the rules if we would just do the RIGHT thing and obey. :/

That may be, but it still doesn't absolve Disney from enforcing their own rules. I don't think you would be very pleased with your local police force if they sat back and watched people break the law and do nothing about it. What if they said, "We'll, isn't it sad that people don't do the right thing. Why don't they just act like a responsible mature adult? I shouldn't have to enforce the law, they should be responsible enough to police themselves." Sad, but it has always been true. When rules are not enforced, people are more likely to break them. Can you imagine what the roads would be like if everyone knew they would not get a ticket for speeding?

And therein itself lies the problem...it is a RECOMMENDED dress code. One is specifically asked not to wear a few items such as swimwear, tank tops, actual flip flops, and maybe a couple of other other items...but it is not like Palo or Remy where you are given fairly clear expectations of acceptable dress. If they wanted to be more picky then they should spell it out. But honestly I think the people on here are way more opinionated about way is acceptable and care about it more than DCL does. I think they just don't want people showing up like they just left the pool deck. JMHO....

I completely agree. That is probably the "essence" of the policy. I remember not long ago, somone mentioned that for the Alaska cruises, they had a modified policy where they were requesting 'no jeans' at dinner. Probably because they assumed that most people would be wearing jeans throughout the daytime. Just like on most other cruises, it is expected you'll be in shorts or swimwear throughout the day. That led me to believe exactly like you said, they mainly just want you to clean yourself up and change for dinner and not go straight to dinner from the beach or pool deck or whatever else you may have been doing.

I always felt the policy should not be "no shorts", but rather require collared shirts for men (and of course, no swimwear). I always come back to the same example: One guy comes to dinner in a nice pair of "khaki-style" shorts, a button-down shirt, and a nice pair of boat shoes. The next guy comes in with ripped jeans, an old concert t-shirt and ratty sneakers. The first is clearly more "presentable" or whatever other adjective you choose, yet the second guy is the one who, technically, is following the guidelines/policy/rule/suggestion.

The problem comes when someone shows up with some monster 100 quart "party on wheels" cooler expecting to board the ship

No...the problem is that someone expects to board the ship with ANY cooler on wheels. There is a rule against rolling coolers.

What I am saying is that the rule on coolers is not the same as the suggestion on dinner attire. Showing up with a rolling cooler is not the same as going to dinner on formal night with dark pants and a nice blouse.

eva said:
That may be, but it still doesn't absolve Disney from enforcing their own rules. I don't think you would be very pleased with your local police force if they sat back and watched people break the law and do nothing about it. What if they said, "We'll, isn't it sad that people don't do the right thing. Why don't they just act like a responsible mature adult? I shouldn't have to enforce the law, they should be responsible enough to police themselves." Sad, but it has always been true. When rules are not enforced, people are more likely to break them. Can you imagine what the roads would be like if everyone knew they would not get a ticket for speeding?

I get what you are saying. However, as a society, our expectation should be that we all be responsible. We shouldn't be looking for loopholes or encouraging others to operate outside of the lines. Actually, we should be encouraging others to be responsible (as on the OP) and to set good examples. Heck. Most of us are parents.

I get what you are saying. However, as a society, our expectation should be that we all be responsible. We shouldn't be looking for loopholes or encouraging others to operate outside of the lines. Actually, we should be encouraging others to be responsible (as on the OP) and to set good examples. Heck. Most of us are parents.

Totally agree! We should be responsible for following the rules. But when someone doesn't there needs to be someone enforcing them. Just a fact, not a moral statement.

eva said:
Totally agree! We should be responsible for following the rules. But when someone doesn't there needs to be someone enforcing them. Just a fact, not a moral statement.

(don't know how to insert the thumbs up from my iPad)

would like to see what will happen when they start enforcing "no shorts in the dining room."

mcd2745 said:
Half-empty dining rooms, for starters.

Hmmmm... Faster service? ;)

Not to fan the flames or anything, but there is a dining room for those who don't want to "dress up" (ie change into a pair of pants): Cabanas. It's pretty much the same food, just a more casual atmosphere.

I guess I don't get what the fuss is about. It takes 5 minutes to change my son into a pair of pants and my daughter into a sundress. We even repeat or do laundry so I don't have to pack 7 outfits. Maybe it's more complicated for others?

Hmmmm... Faster service? ;)

Not to fan the flames or anything, but there is a dining room for those who don't want to "dress up" (ie change into a pair of pants): Cabanas. It's pretty much the same food, just a more casual atmosphere.

I guess I don't get what the fuss is about. It takes 5 minutes to change my son into a pair of pants and my daughter into a sundress. We even repeat or do laundry so I don't have to pack 7 outfits. Maybe it's more complicated for others?

I agree. Nobody expects anybody to "dress up" every night or impress anyone. But there is dining courtesy in the way you present yourself. We had a family (mother, father and two children) on one of our cruises who showed up every night (including formal night) in shorts, flip flops and sleeveless undershirts. They stuck out like sore thumbs and it was a shame that they couldn't just take the time to throw on a button down shirt or pullover and a pair of pants (even jeans would have been better than the obviously thread bare clothes they were wearing).

It really should be no extra costs. If you can afford to take a 7-day cruise, you certainly can afford to bring one nice outfit for dinner! :confused3

I agree. Nobody expects anybody to "dress up" every night or impress anyone. But there is dining courtesy in the way you present yourself. We had a family (mother, father and two children) on one of our cruises who showed up every night (including formal night) in shorts, flip flops and sleeveless undershirts. They stuck out like sore thumbs and it was a shame that they couldn't just take the time to throw on a button down shirt or pullover and a pair of pants (even jeans would have been better than the obviously thread bare clothes they were wearing).

It really should be no extra costs. If you can afford to take a 7-day cruise, you certainly can afford to bring one nice outfit for dinner! :confused3

And most employers and schools have a dress code.

Yes, it's a vacation. But it's my vacation, too. I paid big bucks, too. If I - with my limited mobility - and DS -in a wheelchair- can go back to my room and put on a pair of nice pants [or a skirt], so can others.

This is why we are requesting our own table. I sure hope we get it. it is only two of us this time. I don't mind as much if people sit at their own table and wear shorts, etc. But it bothers me if they are at my table. Sorry, it is my vacation too. I like the atmosphere at my table to be a little dressier. On one of our 4 day cruises they sat us with 3 other couples, all under 25 and not married. At the time we were in our mid 40's and celebrating our 25th anniversary. They wore shorts and jeans the whole cruise. We dressed up a bit each night and it really put a bit of a damper on the whole thing for us. If it had been a 7 day, we would have asked to move the first night.

I wish DCL would enforce their guidelines from day one. I can understand why someone would be upset; to have them abruptly adhered to when they never were before.

This is why we are requesting our own table. I sure hope we get it. it is only two of us this time. I don't mind as much if people sit at their own table and wear shorts, etc. But it bothers me if they are at my table. Sorry, it is my vacation too. I like the atmosphere at my table to be a little dressier. On one of our 4 day cruises they sat us with 3 other couples, all under 25 and not married. At the time we were in our mid 40's and celebrating our 25th anniversary. They wore shorts and jeans the whole cruise. We dressed up a bit each night and it really put a bit of a damper on the whole thing for us. If it had been a 7 day, we would have asked to move the first night.

I also requested our own table on our upcoming cruise. As we don't plan on dressing to the 9's.

I also requested our own table on our upcoming cruise. As we don't plan on dressing to the 9's.

I don't think a single person here would have a problem with someone who doesn't want to dress to the 9's - yet uses commons sense and looks presentable at a dinner. I think the stereotypical objection is the person who wears flip flops, a bathing suit and and a white a-shirt/tank top/t-top to "dress-up night".

I don't think a single person here would have a problem with someone who doesn't want to dress to the 9's - yet uses commons sense and looks presentable at a dinner. I think the stereotypical objection is the person who wears flip flops, a bathing suit and and a white a-shirt/tank top/t-top to "dress-up night".

That's not the vibe I'm getting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter