legal drinking age

The drinking debate really cracks me up...I say let anyone and everyone drink from infancy! I had European grandparents, and as a tiny kid I had my own stein-shaped shot glass that my grandpa would give me some beer in so I could be like him (he always had a beer at dinner). My grandma was ahead of her time, making wine spritzers with wine and 7-up, and she always gave me one too. By the time I got to high school and everyone was so excited about sneaking and drinking alcohol, my attitude was, "Been there, done that." To this day, I am a very moderate drinker...can count on one hand the times I have actually been "drunk."

Yes, they can and do card on DCL....I have seen them. I have seen them card at the bars by the pool and in the clubs on Deck 3...granted it does not happen every time...but if they doubt your age they will ID you (it is not unheard of for a younger person to borrow and older persons KTTW when they go to the bar) so a form of picture id will be asked for.

And yes, your age is embedded on your KTTW but as I said....people will take an older persons KTTW card to the bar and order.

I really doubt its a huge problem for them however, since most people are travelling with their families. Someone underage would have to be travelling with an of age relative willing to loan the card, or make friends with an of age passenger willing to do the swap. The lack of social gatherings for the 19-21 year olds makes the second a little more difficult. While I sure it happens - I bet it doesn't happen often enough that Disney barkeepers feel the need to card for a real ID too often - so its probably rare to actually see.

I also think the whole thing is rather silly - being another one of those who grew up with wine and seven up in my glass at Christmas from as young as I can remember.

However, DCL does take it seriously and will fire barkeepers if they are caught serving underage guests.

My DD was 6 months short of her 21 birthday and they wouldn't allow her to drink a drop but did offer her a shirley temple much to her younger siblings amusement...Here in the UK it's 18 and we have some real problems with under age drinking,if you have any sence you'll leave yours at 21....:)

Now that I think of it, we did the Hoop Dee Doo review last year and I was not permitted to order sangria without an ID...I had to secretly drink from my husbands...I was 37 @ the time! So Disney has become quite rigid on this stuff...

Inga

As has been posted, Disney can do whatever they want with the drinking age when in international waters, they choose to leave it at 21.

As for states going back to under 21, I won't say it won't ever happen, but the drop in fatal auto accidents involving alcohol and underaged drivers since states went back to 21 makes it very unlikely.

Heck, here in California, they're talking about not letting teens get driver's licenses until age 18 !!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter