Laundry??

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by TheLittles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. TheLittles

TheLittles Mouseketeer

We will be going in September for 7 days and are taking an 8 seater car with 6 people. So, needless to say we need to all pack light. September is going to most likely be hot and humid. I would usually try and make a pair of shorts last a few days as well as jeans and switch out my shirt but I am thinking I will have to do laundry at some point. Are there laundry facilities in the resorts? More specifically YC? If so, how much are they to use? Has anyone had to do this?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

Yes, every resort has self service laundry and valet laundry services. And yes, lots of people do this all the time. We like to travel light so I will do laundry mid vacation. It's a great time for me to have some quiet time in the pool with a couple of tropical drinks.:drinking1

Here are the details from the awesome BC/YC FAQ Thread. I highly recommend checking out the first page or 2 at least.

Self-service laundry rooms are located near the BC quiet pool (near room 1532) and near the YC quiet pool. Another small laundry room may be found on the first floor of the YC, near the side exit (wedding gazebo side).

The laundry room at the Beach Club by the quiet pool now has 3 brand new GE commercial washers and 1 triple loader plus 8 new dryers (October 2013).

Washers are front loaders. According to repairmen working on disabled washers, HE (High Efficiency) detergent should be used in the machines. Regular laundry detergent is available for purchase in the laundry room ($1) or at the Beach Club Marketplace ($2). Don't forget to pack a few dryer sheets.

Both washers and dryers cost $2.00. Washers run for about 30 minutes. The sign in the laundry room says the dryers run for 20. Users have reported the dryers run for up to 30 minutes on regular and permanent press cycles.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3277682

4. GovieMom

GovieMom DIS Veteran

September will definitely be HOT and HUMID. I've read several accounts of people (in September) going back to their resort to change clothes mid-day, as what they had on got so wet from the humidity. That being said, I would suggest bringing along your own laundry detergent (travel size or pods) and dryer sheets. And plenty of quarters for the machines. Good luck!

5. KonaKaiTom

KonaKaiTom DIS Veteran

When I was there back in October, I hadn't planned on doing laundry -- but it was high 80s and humid pretty much every day -- needless to say, some days I needed 3 fresh shirts.

Tom

6. shadeauxe

shadeauxe Mouseketeer

We do laundry almost every day (there are a lot of us) when we stay in a villa. When we stayed in rooms without washers we would probably go 1-2x per trip. I like to come home with clean laundry.

I also bring my own detergent (powder) in a glad type container because it's cheaper than buying it there.

7. epsmith921

epsmith921 Mouseketeer

Sometimes I dream of staying in a villa so I could have laundry and I would seriously do it every day. I bring shout color catchers so everyone's everything can go in together.

But even on short trips we do laundry, partially because we are from michigan and just don't need a ton of summer clothes. We go in September and change at least midday if not again for the evening. A shower and new clothes can feel incredible in that humidity.

I haven't minded doing laundry at Disney since it was pretty easy. I do bring a mesh laundry bag and I grab detergent samples at my daughter's pediatrician's office. (Has to be fragrance and color free.)

It doesn't take long and you can even run back and forth from your room while doing the afternoon showers.

I will second the other posters - bring quarters!

Oh and this may not be the case anymore, but I found the capacity on the washers to be smaller than my home machine so just remember you may have to do more than one load. (We have a seriously high capacity washer)

8. Tigger's ally

Tigger's ally Segway test dummy

I am a happily married 50 year old male that doesn't have one bit of a problem doing laundry for the whole family while at Disney. :cool1: I put one load in, head to the poll bar close by. Take one load out and put in dryer, put second load in, head to the pool bar close by. Rinse and repeat. Do it every trip. :thumbsup2 Haven't found a better way to meet the pool bartender. :confused3 Besides, I am opposite of most people. I would rather underpack, than overpack. I hate packing! :banana:

9. monorailsilver

monorailsilver DIS Veteran

We went in August & we each brought 5-6 outfits & we wore 2 a day, including undergarments. Yuck! I can't imagine wearing the sweaty clothes the next day again but that is me.

Anyways, I did laundry every other day. We had non park days so I would do it on those days or I would do it during our mid day break.

Fast forward to this past April. We drove to FL to my sisters. I told the kids no more then 6 outfits. I think they wore 2. They went from PJ's to a bathing suit to the beach, to my sisters pool, to a shower & then PJs.

Yep, next april we are flying to the my sisters vs drving & 4 outfits max!

10. jeepwreck

jeepwreck DIS Veteran

i did laundry last time we were there at POFQ i found it very easy. i planned it around dinner time so i put a load in want and had dinner and then after i put it in the dryer went back to the room for a bit and then picked it up

11. mcconnellfam96

mcconnellfam96 DIS Veteran

We also do laundry at some point each trip. This upcoming trip, we are flying and will be gone for 11 days - plus it is going to be HOT. It is very possible we will do laundry TWICE this trip. :)

12. ToyStory3

ToyStory3 DIS Veteran

We were so got and sweaty that we had to do laundry last trip. It was fine. I actually hung out by the quiet pool with a book while my family took a nap. It was actually very relaxing.

I bring lots of quarters, I get the single packets of tide, and bring my own dryer sheets from home. Makes it very easy.

13. grimley1968

grimley1968 DIS Veteran

I don't know about all resorts, but POFQ at least has gone cashless in their laundry. You have to use plastic. I can't remember if you can use RFID room keys or MBs to pay, but the machines accept major credit/debit cards, and no quarters.

14. JCornell

JCornell Mouseketeer

We do laundry every time we go. I'm also curious if the YC is still coin operated or if they've been upgraded yet. Guess we'll know in a few weeks. :goodvibes

15. dzneelvr

dzneelvr A Disney Dolly<br><font color=deeppink>Doesn't min

I pack extra plastic hangers and clothes pins to save on the number of dryer cycles. Most of the lighter clothes dry overnight while hanging in the resort room. with the fees on luggage, we'll definitely continue to do laundry.