Laundry etiquette

Not a flame just an opinion on the dryer for future reference- the only thing put in a dryer at our house is underwear and socks. If clothes are usually not dried putting them into commercial dryers can wreck havoc.

My incredibly sweet mother just watched my 7 year old for a week while I was on a business trip. We came back to find that she had done all our laundry for us because she's sweet like that.....except ALL our clothes she washed are now ruined including all my son's school pants and shirts. We would never ever say anything to her but after we hugged her goodbye and shut the door my husband said OH GOD we just lost over a thousand dollars in clothes. We'll be unplugging the dryer next time Nana comes over but in this day avoiding the dryer is probably more common than people think and I wouldn't put a strangers things in there.

They were rude for leaving things in a washer but you would probably feel horrible if you accidentally damaged their clothes.

I think the OP was very kind to do that. I mean, spending your own money to dry another person's clothes that was so rude as to leave them there like that.

When we were on the Fantasy a similar thing happened to me. When I came into the laundry room it was busy, of course, but I found a washer and put my clothes in. Before I left the laundry room I checked out the dryers and there was one that was done and just sitting there. When I came back to put my clothes in the dryer, the clothes were still there so i took them out and put them gently on the table. When I came back to get my clothes, they were still there, but while I was getting my clothes some kids that were about 10-12 came in and looked at their clothes on the table. They looked at me kind of sheepishly, picked up the clothes and left. So my point, I guess, is that if kids are left to be responsible for the laundry then of course they will probably forget about it because they are having too much fun.

I personally would not want someone to dry my clothes because there are certain things I do hang to dry.

Just story how some people can be about the clothes in the laundry facilities at Disney. We were staying at one of the All-Star resorts one year with my in-laws and my MIL & I went to do laundry and most of the washers were full (the cycles were finished - the clothes were still in there) with no other people in there. We loaded all we could in the empty ones but still had several loads left to do (there was 10 of us on the trip). After waiting 45 minutes for people to return to swap out their clothes, my MIL finally took someone's load out and laid it on the folding table right next to the washer that we took it out of...she loaded her clothes and set her phone timer to come back 10 minutes before it was to finish. When we returned there was a VERY IRATE woman waiting for us and she totally chewed my MIL out for touching her stuff. She called security and wanted to fill out a report..she really wanted to press some kind of charges against my MIL. She just came unglued. My MIL repeatedly apologized (she was crying) and told the security guy that we waited almost an hour before we removed her clothes and he told us next time to just not touch anyone's clothes in the laundry facilities.

Just story how some people can be about the clothes in the laundry facilities at Disney. We were staying at one of the All-Star resorts one year with my in-laws and my MIL & I went to do laundry and most of the washers were full (the cycles were finished - the clothes were still in there) with no other people in there. We loaded all we could in the empty ones but still had several loads left to do (there was 10 of us on the trip). After waiting 45 minutes for people to return to swap out their clothes, my MIL finally took someone's load out and laid it on the folding table right next to the washer that we took it out of...she loaded her clothes and set her phone timer to come back 10 minutes before it was to finish. When we returned there was a VERY IRATE woman waiting for us and she totally chewed my MIL out for touching her stuff. She called security and wanted to fill out a report..she really wanted to press some kind of charges against my MIL. She just came unglued. My MIL repeatedly apologized (she was crying) and told the security guy that we waited almost an hour before we removed her clothes and he told us next time to just not touch anyone's clothes in the laundry facilities.

Sounds like the security sided with the wrong woman because she made the most noise.

Completely fainting at this.

I would have left them alone. I don't want others messing with my clothes (apart from one time no one has ever had to mess with my laundry (and that one time, it was at my apartment complex and someone chose to steal all my laundry when I totally forgot about it for hours), but in theory) and I won't mess with other peoples' clothes. I can wait or I can find a different laundry room *easily*.

You have no idea what was going on with them. Sick child, perhaps? An injury? Dealing with a family crisis? Fell asleep while their cellphone battery died?

Why should anyone else be inconvenienced by someone else's lack of ability to keep track of time?
Just because someone stole your laundry once when you absent-mindedly forgot to return doesn't mean that they should have to wait for find another laundry room either?

And as for a sick child, an injury, family crisis? Unlikely, but given the circumstances, that person who did not return on time or a while afterwards has to accept that that was their deal, no-one else's.
Nobody "messed" with their clothes, by touching them to take them out of the drier to politely put them on the side, and you can easily wash them again.

If someone fell asleep while their phone battery died, well they should make sure their phone is charged if they are going to use it as a timer.
That way they won't inconvenience other people due to their lack of ability to control the simple aspects of their life that DO affect others. No free pass, that is inconsiderate to others, and again their problem, they can deal with it.

If others touching your clothes that are left in a public laundry unattended whilst they wait for you to mosey on by to collect them bothers you, take that as a wake up call that your actions affect others around you and do not be so selfish.

Why don't people make little magnets to put on the machine stating who they belong to (room number) so that if that does happen at least the ship or hotel knows who to contact? This is what we did in college- if we had to wait more than 10 minutes we told the person in charge of the floor and they dealt with it. Then IF the laundry was moved by someone trying to be a good citizen then the person who forgot about their laundry knew where it was.

Why don't people make little magnets to put on the machine stating who they belong to (room number) so that if that does happen at least the ship or hotel knows who to contact? This is what we did in college- if we had to wait more than 10 minutes we told the person in charge of the floor and they dealt with it. Then IF the laundry was moved by someone trying to be a good citizen then the person who forgot about their laundry knew where it was.

I think that is a REALLY good idea! Why hasn't anyone else thought of this yet???!

God knows there are so many stuck on the cabin doors, it would be easy to add one little one to bring and make tracking down the perp easier! :teeth::p

And there is a phone to call the cabin wave phone or GS!
DCLBlog_IMG_2221_Disney-Fantasy-Self-Service-Laundry-Deck-8.jpg

I took someone's clothes out of the dryer... ONCE. The clothes were done drying for well over an hour (I timed it... the laundry was packed and busy - people were commenting when the heck will this person come back). The SECOND I decided enough was enough and took the clothes out, the guy comes in, and starts screaming with a heavy french accent that he was timing it, and the clothes JUST finished. Complete BS. I explained it was well over an hour since they were finished. He was livid, and SCREAMING AT ME "HOW DARE I TOUCH HIS THINGS". I was very shaken up over his tone. I will never touch anyone's clothes again.

I think that is a REALLY good idea! Why hasn't anyone else thought of this yet???!

God knows there are so many stuck on the cabin doors, it would be easy to add one little one to bring and make tracking down the perp easier! :teeth::p

And there is a phone to call the cabin wave phone or GS!
DCLBlog_IMG_2221_Disney-Fantasy-Self-Service-Laundry-Deck-8.jpg

THAT is an acceptable use of magnets! :)

OMG!!!!! VERY SIMILAR TO MY STORY ABOVE... but no security was called. I will NEVER touch anyones clothes again.

OMG!!!!! VERY SIMILAR TO MY STORY ABOVE... but no security was called. I will NEVER touch anyones clothes again.

Whilst I'm sorry you were intimidated by this arrogant and disrespectful man, and I appreciate you may not be confrontational in your personality, I feel you had and would have every right to tell him to firstly speak to GS.
Secondly, he had no right to commander that dryer for over an hour past it finishing it's cycle.
Thirdly, there are many others here that have witnessed it being over an hour past and his current behavior.

Fourthly, you could always use the telephone in the laundry to dial 7-3001 to call security (printed on the phone) and published in the Navigator) to report an aggressive man verbally abusing you.

You did a wonder thing! I'm sorry that some thought otherwise. Allergies or whatever. If a person has problems like that then don't leave the laundry sitting! You did what was in your heart and that is right! No excuse to leave it in the washer. None. You can't tell me that with so many complaints of this happening that some emergency took over each and every time. Personally, I take it out after a period of time. I will not put money into their laundry. I've come a long way since we first started cruising. I no longer play the game. We have moved onto having DCL launder for us. It saves on time AND stress, LOL.

My advice to anyone else, is it is just someone verbalising their own embarrassment about being an *****, and trying to deflect the blame on to you.
Let them scream all they want. Just remain calm and turn away and continue with your business.
If they continue, call security.

My advice to anyone else, is it is just someone verbalising their own embarrassment about being an *****, and trying to deflect the blame on to you.
Let them scream all they want. Just remain calm and turn away and continue with your business.

I agree! Well said.

jiminyC_fan, Some on here have the ability to imagine every last possibility as to why someone didn't do something they should do, and provide a defence as to why not, and even stretch them to the most bizarre reasons that are so specific to one condition, or personal preference.
They are the "offended" and "needy" people we have to live amongst and try to tolerate unfortunately, and they should be stopped.

I wonder if you could call Guest Services? I would think that since the person had to swipe their KTTW to pay for the washer or dryer that there would be a way for them to identify the cabin that paid for the machine.

GREAT ADVICE!!! The guy I encountered was so belligerent, the people in the laundry were all speechless. I saw him in the gym the next day. I literally zipped in the opposite direction. I allowed him to really put a damper on my cruise. It was really upsetting.

You were very kind to dry their clothes for them. In my last apartment I lived in we had 3 washers and 5 dryers for the entire complex. They were always at a premium. People would leave their clothes for days in either the washer or dryer. One day I kept waiting for a washer and there were clothes in all three all day - the same clothes. They had soured, so I'm assuming they had been in there longer than just that morning. There was an empty laundry basket in there so I put one load in the basket and wrote a note that the clothes had soured and they may wish to rewash all their clothes. Went back after 30 minutes to switch my laundry and then went back 45 minutes later to collect my laundry only to find my wet laundry on one of the folding tables and the laundry I had put in the basket in the dryer I had been using (the other 4 dryers were empty). The owner was there and wanted to know why I had touched his laundry. I showed him the note I had left and he said I still shouldn't have touched his laundry as it was his personal property, so he decided to use my dryer time to dry his laundry. I was a poor single working girl at the time and those quarters were my last until payday. I ended up at my parent's house to dry them and after that my parents insisted that I wash my clothes at their house (not far from where I worked) as they did't want me to have another confrontation like that again.

Ever since then I've been hesitant to touch other people's clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter