Laundry etiquette

You were very kind to dry their clothes for them. In my last apartment I lived in we had 3 washers and 5 dryers for the entire complex. They were always at a premium. People would leave their clothes for days in either the washer or dryer. One day I kept waiting for a washer and there were clothes in all three all day - the same clothes. They had soured, so I'm assuming they had been in there longer than just that morning. There was an empty laundry basket in there so I put one load in the basket and wrote a note that the clothes had soured and they may wish to rewash all their clothes. Went back after 30 minutes to switch my laundry and then went back 45 minutes later to collect my laundry only to find my wet laundry on one of the folding tables and the laundry I had put in the basket in the dryer I had been using (the other 4 dryers were empty). The owner was there and wanted to know why I had touched his laundry. I showed him the note I had left and he said I still shouldn't have touched his laundry as it was his personal property, so he decided to use my dryer time to dry his laundry. I was a poor single working girl at the time and those quarters were my last until payday. I ended up at my parent's house to dry them and after that my parents insisted that I wash my clothes at their house (not far from where I worked) as they did't want me to have another confrontation like that again.

Ever since then I've been hesitant to touch other people's clothes.

When I lived in married housing I just stayed with my clothes. I brought a book, homework, whatever - because invariably someone would take my clothes out while they were drying and use up the rest of my time for their clothes, then mine wouldn't dry. It was a pain but it was also the best way to ensure people didn't touch my stuff.

On the flip side, I'm sorry - you can't just leave your stuff in the washers and dryers all day. And for those discussing skin allergies - these are commercial grade washers and dryers, which means there's probably residue all over the place, so you're already taking a HUGE risk using these machines. You're better off using the laundry service and noting your allergy so they can wipe things down/ensure safety.

And yes, emergencies happen -- but more often than not it's that someone forgot, or thought another member of the party was going to get it. I would've snapped a picture with my cell w/a timestamp that way if the party got all in a tizzy you could show them that photo/timestamp...plus evidence if security has to get involved.

I think you were MORE than generous - if it were the other way around *BAM* your stuff would have been pulled out. Unfortunately, I had to wash all the clothing my DH and DD brought the very first night. It was nice to do laundry at 8pm into the wee hrs. Luckily I was all alone which was a little creepy, but DCL had security checks every hour after 11pm. I read most of my book that night, LMAO!

By day 4 or 5 on a 7 night cruise - the laundry rooms were hoppin'! I did have to move out 2 washers, but I stayed in the laundry room and apologized to the ppl when they came in - they gave me the stink eye and moved on.

I would give someone an hour (knowing the same load sitting in there for that time) if all machines were in use and others along with myself were waiting. As others have said, someone that concerned with their laundry (allergies, things not to be dried, etc) should be aware enough to watch for when their load would be complete. If someone was delayed due to a true medical emergency, another removing their load or going to the trouble of dry it for them should not be there biggest worry. I would more likely figure probably someone in a character line not wanting to lose their spot, watching a movie or otherwise distracted and not noting the time.

Anyone irate that another would touch their laundry while it sat for an exorbitant amount of time taking up a machine in a busy common laundry room is the perfect illustration of a self absorbed individual that looks to blame others for their own issues or behaviors that they expect others manage around (and unfortunately many do which only validates the self absorbed individuals behavior).

I once watched clothes in a dryer for over an hour that were just sitting there, I finally decided I was going to take them out and fold them on the counter so I could dry my things.
I was very happy it was all baby clothes and not someone else's undies. LOL
When the lady finally came back the laundry room was hopping nothing available and I have to say she was rather annoyed that her clothes were folded nicely on the counter. I told her I waited before I touched her things but I needed to dry mine and had other things to do, so I folded them for her. She rolled her eyes and left. My daughter was cruising with us and didn't get it, she said she wished someone else would fold her clean laundry for her just once in her life.

And for those discussing skin allergies - these are commercial grade washers and dryers, which means there's probably residue all over the place, so you're already taking a HUGE risk using these machines. You're better off using the laundry service and noting your allergy so they can wipe things down/ensure safety.

I try to avoid doing laundry in anywhere but home if I can avoid it. However, when it is necessary, what we have found works most of the time is that we take a couple towels from the room and run them through two full cycles first. THEN we run our laundry through. I use the same machine if I have multiple loads; one after another; so it can take many hours to get laundry done. Our laundry is done by the first run through with detergent, then 2-4 additional runs with just water. We can't use the laundry service because we can't tolerate the detergent they use.

I always set the timer on my smartphone for about 5 minutes less than the time remaining, so I am there just before a load finishes.

I definitely agree people need to be responsible and not leave their laundry for half of forever. Leaving it too long and it is reasonable that someone may take your laundry out and pile it (if they are nice they will pile it some kind of neatly).

I really like the magnet idea a PP had; I think we will make a couple.

Finally, I have a Scrubba bag ( http://thescrubba.com/ ) now, which lets us do some laundry in our room with relative ease -- the challenge is the drying :-)

SW

I think you were MORE than generous - if it were the other way around *BAM* your stuff would have been pulled out. Unfortunately, I had to wash all the clothing my DH and DD brought the very first night. It was nice to do laundry at 8pm into the wee hrs. Luckily I was all alone which was a little creepy, but DCL had security checks every hour after 11pm. I read most of my book that night, LMAO!

I also like doing laundry late at night/early in the morning. nice and quiet. I will sometimes go wander the ship taking pictures then come back when my smartphone alarm goes off so I can swap loads/run another cycle/etc.

One time I did laundry during dinner (we are late seating) and would just slip out when I had to to tend to the laundry. There wasn't anyone else in the laundry room that time; and all the other washers and dryers were empty.

SW

Reminds me of bad times living in student residence! So many fights over the stupid washer and dryer. And the most indignant angry people were always the ones that were inconsiderate and self-absorbed enough to leave their laundry sitting indefinitely in a "shared" machine. Can't believe it even happens on cruise ships lol.

Oh and also, I think once the cycle/time you paid for runs out, you are no longer entitled to use of the machine, so stuff should be removed promptly - preferably by the owner. Most people will wait a short time as a courtesy, but really, it isn't yours anymore. I might be tempted to take their stuff up to the lido deck and spread it around the deck chairs to sun dry lol.

I have no interest in full-contact laundry room usage. If I know I'm going to have to do laundry, I will try and find a time where the laundry room is not busy a day or two before we run out of clean clothes. Early morning has worked out pretty good.

Yea, it might suck to wake up early on vacation, but the trade-off is not having to pack a mountain of clothes or deal with a competition for washers/dryers.

Wow, now I have learned that I should never touch other people's unattended clothes. I would call guest services for assistance if needed.

I usually make sure the hotel I stay pre-cruise has self-laundry facilities so I can wash the clothes before going on the ship. However, I need to iron them. My issue is with people trying to iron their one-week worth of clothes at once. There was one time a gentleman who was ironing for a long time in the laundry room. Somehow one of the laundry room was out of order so we had one less laundry room available to us for the entire cruise. I just wanted to iron two blouses for the day. When he was almost done and I was ready to hop in. His lovely wife came in and gave him more clothes to iron. Seriously?! I think the main etiquette here is to be considerate. If everyone using the laundry room is considerate of other people's needs to use the facilities then we would not have any confrontations.

This time around, I am planning to use the ironing service onboard. It is just not worth the hassle to iron myself. I should be spending my time enjoying other ship facilities. If I have to use the laundry facilities, I usually check out the opening hours and try to wash/dry my loads during less busy time such as late at night or really early in the morning.

I have trouble understanding why someone touching someone else's laundry, simply to move it to a different place, is considered by some to be such a violation. I could see if someone dropped it on the ground or such, but simply moving it to a table? If I came back to a laundry room and found my clothing had been moved to a table after 10-15 minutes in a done machine I would be embarrassed that I'd taken too long, not angry.

Think about the time you (or the lady in your life) has forgotten her purse someplace. You or she goes rushing back, in a panic. There's great relief when someone has turned it in. No anger that someone touched it. Touching a possession (different of course than a person's body or clothes they are wearing) that isn't where it's supposed to be to move it to a reasonable place isn't a violation, it's just part of living in a highly populated society.

I have no interest in full-contact laundry room usage. If I know I'm going to have to do laundry, I will try and find a time where the laundry room is not busy a day or two before we run out of clean clothes. Early morning has worked out pretty good.

Yea, it might suck to wake up early on vacation, but the trade-off is not having to pack a mountain of clothes or deal with a competition for washers/dryers.

Too funny, tho I can understand why people don't want their unmentionables messed with.

If it's a short cruise we make sure to pack enough undies for the duration. If we need to, we can send slacks and shirts out to be done.

FWIW, on our DCL Panama Canal cruise, the laundry rooms got hoppin around 6 a.m. midway through the cruise.

Too funny, tho I can understand why people don't want their unmentionables messed with.

I don't get this perception that people would "mess" with your clothes and underwear?
Once they have taken them from the washer or dryer, do you think they try them on, take turns running around the hallway with them on their head and take pictures?
Really do not get the privacy thing as they are just pieces of cloth you wear, and who is going to wash a victorias secrets under garment in a public washer? And you might be washing your clothes in the same washer as a dirty cloth diaper just before, or an incontinent child, but god forbid a strangers hands touched them!
I bet the same people that piss and whine about this still would have a blouse or shirt dry cleaned and touched by someone else?

I just do not get the horrific reaction to it all!

Dunno, if you're into watching crazy, no place better than the laundry room---my favorite is on an Alaskan cruise since the extra drying time required for the heavier clothes brings out the worst in some people. When on an AK with my parents, my DM made the mistake of taking out laundry which had sat in 2 dryers for at least an hour, folding it neatly and leaving it on the table. The recipient of her kindness yelled at her for touching her stuff and accused Mom of trying to steal her things (Mom had no way of fitting into either the tiny child clothing nor the woman's clothing so "irratrional" is an apt adjective).
Poor mom was quite shaken.

If I have to do laundry on board, I appreciate the people who are considerate but in no way expect it. OP did a kind thing and should be satisfied with her behavior vice that of anyone else. In the end, that's all we can control-how we behave.

FWIW-I always wash my VS on board. Even if I run the risk of someone running around the halls with them on their head. ;)

I don't get this perception that people would "mess" with your clothes and underwear?
Once they have taken them from the washer or dryer, do you think they try them on, take turns running around the hallway with them on their head and take pictures?
Really do not get the privacy thing as they are just pieces of cloth you wear, and who is going to wash a victorias secrets under garment in a public washer? And you might be washing your clothes in the same washer as a dirty cloth diaper just before, or an incontinent child, but god forbid a strangers hands touched them!
I bet the same people that piss and whine about this still would have a blouse or shirt dry cleaned and touched by someone else?

I just do not get the horrific reaction to it all!

Now that you mention it, when I was a teenager my cousin got hold of one of our grandma's bras and paraded it around the house with it on her head. True story.

At girls' camp several bras were "borrowed" and run up the flag pole. Those who wore rather small sizes were quite embarrassed, but when the instigator had her large bra confiscated for payback, she was even more upset.

Anyway, I make sure to be in the laundry room when the washer/dryer stop running, so it's not an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter