• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Late Check out?

I've read on these boards about DVC members who asked for late check out because someone was ill and were told no. If you get a late checkout, consider yourself extremely lucky.

About 10 years ago my sister was very sick. She needed an extra hour or two to rest. We were staying at the Grand Floridian and were Royal Palm Club level. We paid cash for the ressie.

We asked for a late checkout do to an illness. They instantly responded with a resounding "NO".

MG

We had a late flight home and were staying at AKL Jambo House in a value room on points, and when we asked for a late check-out, the front desk offered us another room just off the lobby. A nap room the CM called it.. We moved our bags and gear and were able to enjoy and sit at the pool all day. It even had a savanna view. Some pixie dust I guess. It was only a couple years ago.

I just wish that the DVC resorts would all be consistent. If it is policy then even illness is not sufficient reason to allow someone to have late checkout. It is not very Disney like through IMO.

If they were, the first one was a definite oops - they should have been told to leave their stuff with bell services - probably a training issue. There isn't any reason for late check out for a conference - pack up and drop your stuff off for the day, just like the rest of us do when we want to do something else with our day.

I think we've have heard other cases of letting people stay a little longer when illness is involved.

As to not being cash customers - get used to it. Timeshares work in part because we are each paying for the capacity - it isn't sitting around idle. OP, you won't get a lot of sympathy here for not being allowed late check out because when you don't get out of the room on time, you are using MY TIME in that room. I got off a plane at 11am, I've been up since 4am, and I'd really like to get into my room before 6pm so I can shower before dinner. I know that I'm not likely to arrive at the airport to a text that says I can go straight up - and I plan accordingly - but I get cranky if I haven't gotten into my room before my 7pm dinner reservation. Maybe CMs can state it nicer, but given how dense people are, some of them don't get nice. Blame the people who can't take a hint.

This is different than a hotel, where there is usually about 10% unused occupancy in a well occupied hotel. When hotel occupancy runs as tight as timeshares, they stop allowing late checkout as well.

We work in healthcare-it would have been a federal HIPAA violation to have met in a public location. We anticipated the meeting to be done right at 11:00, but asked for a few minutes to use the restroom, pack up the computers, and walk to the front desk. Disney offered the 2:00, it wasn't asked by us.

We work in healthcare-it would have been a federal HIPAA violation to have met in a public location. We anticipated the meeting to be done right at 11:00, but asked for a few minutes to use the restroom, pack up the computers, and walk to the front desk. Disney offered the 2:00, it wasn't asked by us.

That isn't Disney's problem - and it sure isn't my problem as the next guest to occupy your room. Your responsibility is to make sure you have a space that meets HIPAA requirements, if the meeting is scheduled to run until after checkout, you haven't met your responsibility.

Pack up the night before and do what the rest of us do, leave the room at 11 and if you need to use the restrooms, there are restrooms in the lobby.

You should have rented an extra night, or have DVC rent you a office space. I think your story about HIPAA is BS. Why would you do this at Disney???

Last edited:
On checkout day at Aulani, we asked them for more time to get our baby ready. Their surprising response was, "How much time do you need?" We were granted 2 extra hours. Keep in mind that this was during a slow time of year and the resort was not very busy.

Here is a hint, talk to the housekeeper in the hall and see what her schedule is. She may not care if you are a little late.

:earsboy: Bill
Not necessarily, housekeeping cleans up to 10 rooms each depending on room size and how many check outs they have. Some of the rooms won't be cleaned until 3:00 or later, that's why I posted to check with the housekeeper.

:earsboy: Bill
Never thought of this. Thanks for the tip!

Policy is no late check out for DVC point reservations. Do they bend it, of course they do on as needed basis. There are so many factors to consider, hotel occupancy, housekeeping staff numbers, etc. etc. Some times you get lucky, other times, not.

Is it wise to keep that info to yourself, do I really even need to answer that.

I've read on these boards about DVC members who asked for late check out because someone was ill and were told no. If you get a late checkout, consider yourself extremely lucky.

That happened to us. Kids and wife were sick and we asked about the possibility of late checkout. I know it was a long shot but we asked they said no (which was OK) but then told us we were free to sit in the lobby and wait there.. (!!) We ended up making other arrangements. However, I did tell them when I checked out they should take the room offline for a deep cleaning, as they had Norovirus.

I just wish that the DVC resorts would all be consistent. If it is policy then even illness is not sufficient reason to allow someone to have late checkout. It is not very Disney like through IMO.
I agree! There is too much inconsistency in many of DVC policies. But I can see folks feigning illness to get a late check out. I do feel for those who are really ill though.

We had all our bags all packed up in the car and ready to go just before 11am at OKW. Just as we were getting in the car my 1 yo had a massive blowout in his diaper all over himself and got on me since I was carrying him. DH walked over to Hospitality House to check out while I dealt with the cleanup. OKW told him NO that we had to leave at 11am. I had my 3yo DS stay in the room so that he can unlock the door just in case at 11 the card readers would not work anymore. My oldest son and I had to slightly unload luggage to get clean clothes for my baby and myself. I had to wash my 1 yo and me taking another shower. I rinsed out our clothes and put it in the dryer for about 15 minutes. We didn't get out of the room until 11:45.

I think my oldest son was outside the door looking for my husband and told the housekeeper what happened. When we left, housekeeping asked me if my 1 yo was ok. She was nice about us being still in the room after 11am.

I agree! There is too much inconsistency in many of DVC policies. But I can see folks feigning illness to get a late check out. I do feel for those who are really ill though.

I agree, once someone posted that they got a late checkout due to illness, people would start using it as an excuse. Same people who book a campsite to get free magic bands then cancel. Or create a dummy account to get extra fastpasses. I think DVC does it to be consistent with members, it's only fair to the next member checking in. Disney can do whatever with cash reservations.

We had late flights once and needed a late checkout. Had plenty of points so just booked the night, so technically we checked out early, because had room till next morning.

We had all our bags all packed up in the car and ready to go just before 11am at OKW. Just as we were getting in the car my 1 yo had a massive blowout in his diaper all over himself and got on me since I was carrying him. DH walked over to Hospitality House to check out while I dealt with the cleanup. OKW told him NO that we had to leave at 11am. I had my 3yo DS stay in the room so that he can unlock the door just in case at 11 the card readers would not work anymore. My oldest son and I had to slightly unload luggage to get clean clothes for my baby and myself. I had to wash my 1 yo and me taking another shower. I rinsed out our clothes and put it in the dryer for about 15 minutes. We didn't get out of the room until 11:45.

I think my oldest son was outside the door looking for my husband and told the housekeeper what happened. When we left, housekeeping asked me if my 1 yo was ok. She was nice about us being still in the room after 11am.
You "rinsed" your clothes then put them in the dryer??

Hate to say it but that's pretty nasty for the next person using the dryer.

Sorry for the thread disruption..

MG

I agree, once someone posted that they got a late checkout due to illness, people would start using it as an excuse. Same people who book a campsite to get free magic bands then cancel. Or create a dummy account to get extra fastpasses. I think DVC does it to be consistent with members, it's only fair to the next member checking in. Disney can do whatever with cash reservations.
1) Though I agree with you in principle, it is unfortunate that some would spoil it for those that are truly sick and may need an extra hour or two.

2) I don't understand why there would be a distinction between cash and point guests. The point Member could be waiting for the room the cash guess is staying in.
Perhaps I'm missing the big picture on that one.

MG

1) Though I agree with you in principle, it is unfortunate that some would spoil it for those that are truly sick and may need an extra hour or two.

2) I don't understand why there would be a distinction between cash and point guests. The point Member could be waiting for the room the cash guess is staying in.
Perhaps I'm missing the big picture on that one.

MG
Most systems I know allow late checkouts but control it. The Hilton's I've seen do it by building or floor allowing a certain %. Marriott allows it as they can but it's automatic in certain situations like VIP status or if changing from one villa to another. The way I look at it with DVC is just like requests. They can't set reasonable limits and tell people no on the fly to they simply give up and take a stance where they don't have to make decisions, thinks or put extra work into it. To a degree the membership is partly to blame because DVC members seem to feel more entitled than most. IMO if DVC just set reasonable limits and had a backbone, it'd be better and they'd actually have less complaints long term though more short term. IMO the refurbishment planning and announcements are the same mentality on DVC's part.

I agree Dean, but if members would just follow the rule and not expect special treatment this would not be an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter