Late Check out?

LadyLvsTramp

Registered
We were recently at AKL for just one night coming home from a cruise. We inquired about late check out and were told because we were staying on points and not paying customers we were not permitted a late check out which was all of an hour and a half 12:30 instead of 11:00. I thought wow welcome home!

It's a timeshare.

The ONLY case of a late checkout I remember specifically was mine, and it was because Jambo had messed things up and we needed to change rooms and for some ridiculous reason we wanted to move our stuff over instead of pay bell services to watch it for several hours. DH is a very good and calm negotiator with hotels, and in our experience AK is so used to messing up they are good at compensating for their mess-ups (no it's not my fave resort, how could you tell?). So we got it. Only time I've heard of it.

They need all the time they can get to make the room ready for the next visitor. And the more people hang around the longer the next people must wait for their room. If you really need the extra time, just book another night.

While I understand about not approving a late checkout, if they truly used the phrase "you are not paying customers", that is flat out poor. In additions it implies cash customers are treated on a different level.

MG

I always love this... When the room is not ready when we get there we whine...
When we leave however we want to stay in the room as long as possible.

(And the only problem I have ever had at either AKV building was due to Tragic Bands and you can hardly blame the hotel for that mess. One of my favorites)

And yes for $500 plus a night I would hope they worship the "cash customers" because as much as I love that hotel Disney is overcharging by a factor of over 100% for the quality of the hotel. Considering the overpayment, 90 minutes of late check out is not enough to justify the cost.

If I want a late check out I just book the room until the next day.

I always love this... When the room is not ready when we get there we whine...
When we leave however we want to stay in the room as long as possible.

(And the only problem I have ever had at either AKV building was due to Tragic Bands and you can hardly blame the hotel for that mess. One of my favorites)

And yes for $500 plus a night I would hope they worship the "cash customers" because as much as I love that hotel Disney is overcharging by a factor of over 100% for the quality of the hotel. Considering the overpayment, 90 minutes of late check out is not enough to justify the cost.

If I want a late check out I just book the room until the next day.
$500 is an expensive 90 minutes....

MG

We have extended checkout twice at Kidani with no issues at all either time. One was a basic request as we had a business meeting at 10:00 and wasn't sure when it would end. They gave us 2:00 without blinking. The other was last fall when my wife took ill during the trip-our ME bus was scheduled at 12:30-they extended the time until that point, plus they delivered some soup and a bottle of sprite from Sanaa at no charge.

We have extended checkout twice at Kidani with no issues at all either time. One was a basic request as we had a business meeting at 10:00 and wasn't sure when it would end. They gave us 2:00 without blinking. The other was last fall when my wife took ill during the trip-our ME bus was scheduled at 12:30-they extended the time until that point, plus they delivered some soup and a bottle of sprite from Sanaa at no charge.

Were you staying on points?

Your "late checkout" means the next DVC member in that villa will likely get a "late checkin". I have been the recipient of the late checkin a few times - not pleasant - welcome home to me :)

Were you staying on points?

If they were, the first one was a definite oops - they should have been told to leave their stuff with bell services - probably a training issue. There isn't any reason for late check out for a conference - pack up and drop your stuff off for the day, just like the rest of us do when we want to do something else with our day.

I think we've have heard other cases of letting people stay a little longer when illness is involved.

As to not being cash customers - get used to it. Timeshares work in part because we are each paying for the capacity - it isn't sitting around idle. OP, you won't get a lot of sympathy here for not being allowed late check out because when you don't get out of the room on time, you are using MY TIME in that room. I got off a plane at 11am, I've been up since 4am, and I'd really like to get into my room before 6pm so I can shower before dinner. I know that I'm not likely to arrive at the airport to a text that says I can go straight up - and I plan accordingly - but I get cranky if I haven't gotten into my room before my 7pm dinner reservation. Maybe CMs can state it nicer, but given how dense people are, some of them don't get nice. Blame the people who can't take a hint.

This is different than a hotel, where there is usually about 10% unused occupancy in a well occupied hotel. When hotel occupancy runs as tight as timeshares, they stop allowing late checkout as well.

Your "late checkout" means the next DVC member in that villa will likely get a "late checkin". I have been the recipient of the late checkin a few times - not pleasant - welcome home to me :)

Not necessarily, housekeeping cleans up to 10 rooms each depending on room size and how many check outs they have. Some of the rooms won't be cleaned until 3:00 or later, that's why I posted to check with the housekeeper.

:earsboy: Bill

We didn't "request" a late check out, but once we sort of got one once. We had called bell services, but they were really backed up, and they told us to just stay in the room, and they would get there when they could. We were moving from a one-bedroom to a two-bedroom. I called the front desk, and they said it was fine to wait. I think bell services arrived around 11:45. It felt so wrong to be there so late!

Once we had too many points ( I don't know how that happened as we are always borrowing now lol ) and we just booked an extra night but left around 3 pm. We are from the U.K. so it's a night flight. It was bliss! We told them as we left we were going if they wanted the room and they were beyond grateful. Having that room for extra time was such a treat though.

I think bell services arrived around 11:45. It felt so wrong to be there so late!

Even when given permission, yes it feels wrong.

Our situation was stupid, and we were more stupid to wait in the room for the next room. We were so bored. It took a bad situation caused by the hotel and made it worse, caused by us. We should have either stiffed the bell services people out of some sort of principle (unlikely) or paid the few bucks to the person that helped us, and we should have gone out and done something fun.

Even when given permission, yes it feels wrong.

Our situation was stupid, and we were more stupid to wait in the room for the next room. We were so bored. It took a bad situation caused by the hotel and made it worse, caused by us. We should have either stiffed the bell services people out of some sort of principle (unlikely) or paid the few bucks to the person that helped us, and we should have gone out and done something fun.

I can understand why you did that we did something similar too! We didn't want the bags out of our sights! After they had gone missing ( where do they go ! ) between rooms where there has already been an error. Just for kicks it was AK too. Not saying that this experience is correlated lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter