Lap sitting babies -- still counted in the reservation?

Fire codes. :rotfl:

I just love when people on this board make things up. :lmao:

This is not made up. Disney says this as well if you ask about if a baby needs to be on the ADR. That verbiage comes directly from CMs and they are trained to say this.

Additionally, many WDW restauarants are often very close to capacity. You know, the maximum number of people that all restaurants everywhere post somewhere for all to see. Disney will absolutely will not allow a baby to be on a lap without a “spot” for them if the restaurant is close to capacity. People have been turned away for this very reason.

They will try to accomodate and add at the podium. And many times it’s just fine! But people have been turned away with lap babies that were not included and it is due to being close to or over capacity. Every person needs to be accounted for.

This is not made up. Disney says this as well if you ask about if a baby needs to be on the ADR. That verbiage comes directly from CMs and they are trained to say this.

Really? I have yet to hear that from anybody except posters on this board.

Actually, I have never seen a Disney restaurant filled to capacity. More times than I can count, I’ve had trouble finding an ADR and then was seated in a half empty restaurant.

Really? I have yet to hear that from anybody except posters on this board.

Actually, I have never seen a Disney restaurant filled to capacity. More times than I can count, I’ve had trouble finding an ADR and then was seated in a half empty restaurant.
It IS something that has to be thought of when looking at numbers. You may not believe it, but fire codes do limit the number of people that can be allowed into a location. Now does this explain always not being able to get reservations? No, but it can be a factor.

How do I know? I am a trained interior designer who has had to deal with occupancy codes when it comes to commercial locations including restaurants. So I have been involved with dealing with the fire marshal and how they make the decisions (what goes into it like square footage, usage, hallway lengths, number of exits including windows...).

I have no doubt that fire codes play an important role in designing a restaurant, but I doubt that they play much of a role in ADR numbers. ADRs are more about staffing than anything else.

Folks have good reasons for not wanting to count infants in their ADRs. It can be difficult to get ADRs in some restaurants with a large party. If you get snagged on a cancellation, the penalty is more expensive. And as mentioned here, you can run into an issue with the mandatory tip.

I have no doubt that fire codes play an important role in designing a restaurant, but I doubt that they play much of a role in ADR numbers. ADRs are more about staffing than anything else.

Folks have good reasons for not wanting to count infants in their ADRs. It can be difficult to get ADRs in some restaurants with a large party. If you get snagged on a cancellation, the penalty is more expensive. And as mentioned here, you can run into an issue with the mandatory tip.

The issue that comes into play is that when they let lap babies in without a spot at the table they are essentially undocumented and can lose count of how many people are in there. Many people show up without babies on their reservation. The only way to truly know how many guests are in there is to have them on the ADR.

Like you said, at many places this is not an issue. They don’t want to turn people away and try to seat people. But it’s not a guarantee. Smaller, popular places (CRT for example) can get close to capacity pretty easily.

I like you Mickey Waffles and I’m trying to be argumentative, but I don’t agree that ADRs are an accurate way to count heads. There are no-shows plus you are not penalized for showing up with a smaller party.

Makes more sense to count the actual number of guests who are checked in which would include infants.

Also you mentioned babies would likely be sleeping at some of the meals, just wanted to remind you'll be parking your stroller outside the restaurant. Not sure if you'd be bringing in like a car seat for them to be in but wanted to remind you as you thought logistics - saw someone in another group think they could keep baby in stroller to avoid adding them to reservations.

I like you Mickey Waffles and I’m trying to be argumentative, but I don’t agree that ADRs are an accurate way to count heads. There are no-shows plus you are not penalized for showing up with a smaller party.

Makes more sense to count the actual number of guests who are checked in which would include infants.

Different opinions make the world go round :)

I’m just explaining what Disney says and why and that the fire code explanation is not just made up by posters on this board. (I was a CM at a resort and had lots of friends who worked at various TS who have confirmed the fire code messaging. In addition to a friend who was turned away from CRT and given this explanation by a CM as well.) You can disagree with Disney for approaching it this way, but that is how they do it.

Different opinions make the world go round :)

I’m just explaining what Disney says and why and that the fire code explanation is not just made up by posters on this board. (I was a CM at a resort and had lots of friends who worked at various TS who have confirmed the fire code messaging. In addition to a friend who was turned away from CRT and given this explanation by a CM as well.) You can disagree with Disney for approaching it this way, but that is how they do it.

Exactly.

I haven't really paid attention to the restaurants at Disney (plus it's been a while), but most restaurants I go to in the "real world" have a sign somewhere saying "Occupancy by more than X people is not permitted" or something to that effect. Fire codes are real and legitimate things - NOT "excuses" made up to prevent you from getting an ADR.

Exactly.

I haven't really paid attention to the restaurants at Disney (plus it's been a while), but most restaurants I go to in the "real world" have a sign somewhere saying "Occupancy by more than X people is not permitted" or something to that effect. Fire codes are real and legitimate things - NOT "excuses" made up to prevent you from getting an ADR.
Exactly. I'm not sure how this can really be disputed. Fire codes are a fact of life and common knowledge.

My gigantic 14 month old only sits on my lap at a restaurant in a worst case scenario. I choose the stroller first (not an option at Disney, besides limited reported exceptions) and a high chair second. I’m sure some would baby wear to let the kid sleep, but it’s so hard to eat around them, and then you’re so limited in what you can order because it can’t be something that would hurt them if you did accidentally drop it (hot coffee, soup, etc.).

Other posters had great points about it affecting the cost of cancelling a reservation and being sure to not accidentally tip twice.

Exactly.

There are signs. I have seen them. Most recently was at Sci Fi two weeks ago.

We were at Crystal Palace on Friday and witnessed a family checking in to find out that they should have included their baby when booking. The mom looked like she was going to be sick when the CM explained to her that it doesn't matter if the baby is in her lap or in a high chair, and she should have booked a party of 4 (vs 3). Thankfully, the CM was able to work in the infant into the #s.

If you have a pulse you need to be included in the reservation

Glad to hear that family was able to be accommodated. Phew!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter