'landing' sickness

RUSHBURY

Florida! Florida! - Oh how I love to be in Flori
My DS(7) suffers from 'landing' sickness - guaranteed while we're waiting for the luggage - then it's a mad dash to the toilets.

He's fine during takeoff and inflight.

I've used various travel sickness tablets at different stages of the journey to no avail and he's now at the age where he knows it's going to happen and starts to panic.

He's fine in cars, buses, trains and boats - it's just the landing of planes!

I would appreciate any advice/comments about this.

Thanks

Helen:Pinkbounc

Can only presume this is travel sickness in reverse - I always feel a bit disoriented and like I'm still flying for several hours afterwards!

The only things I can suggest are

- letting your son drink a carton of juice through a straw and/or eat chewy juicy sweets e.g. Starburst, as you land. This should help to equalize pressure, which might help.

- getting him to look out the window at the horizon as you land (look for Disney or the sea maybe?).

- making sure it isn't because he's hungry - I always find the nausea worst if I'm hungry

- if there are enough of you, take your DS straight out with you to help sort out the car hire whilst the others are collecting the bags. He can then get some fresh air and distraction and you can get a head start with the car.

Well those are my ideas - hope you find something that works!

and both my DS (10) and I suffer from landing sickness. Ours usually starts an hour or so before landing, especially on our return journey. I always think it's the food that makes me feel ill and dehydration. Next time we go I'm going to make sure we drink plenty (water !!) and a little tip I was given today was take a few ginger biscuits as ginger helps with nausia.

Holly

Holly

thanks for the ginger tip and hope you had a great time

Helen

Edie W

Thanks for your very quick reply, it's much appreciated.

A couple of the things that you mentioned I've already tried but there are a few of your ideas that I will be trying in a few weeks time.

I take ginger capsules 2 x 500mg and nibble on ginger biscuits this works really well for me.
Ginger ale helps too.

Stugeron works well with my grandchildren.

I have a watch like device available on line from US called Relief Band. It sends small electrical impulses to the vomiting center to stop nausea altogether. Fairly expensive but I would not travel without it anymore. (I am really travel sick, or was) I also use it for any rides involving motion.

Lynda

Hi Lynda

I would be greatful if you could give me the website for the US site for the bands

Thanks

I always used to get travel sickness and used something called sea bands. They are just elasticated bands with plastic bump on which applies pressure to the pressure points on the wrist and is meant to reduce nausea. I found them fantastic. I know they are used for all types of nausea i.e morning sickness so may work for your son.

I belive thay are relatively inexpensive and can be used time and time again.

Hi Jinxy23

Thanks for the tip

I am really pleased with all the replies and suggestions/advice that I've received so quickly.

These boards are great and everyone is so helpful.

Helen :Pinkbounc

Fresh ginger always works the best for me, bite abit off and chew it, fantastic.

Jules

I take stugeron for travel sickness, but the pressure of the planes descent sends my ear pressure crazy so i feel very unbalanced and nauseas on landing, that was until the pharmacist recommended EARPLANES they are little plastic tubes that sit in the ear put in before the plane starts to descend, i put them in about an hour before we are due to land, and they equalise the inner ear pressure, i have used these on our last two trips and suffered no ill effects on landing. Yet on our first trip without these i was very ill on landing and suffered major earache for 48 hours. From memory they cost about £3.99 from boots.

Hi Rushbury,

The address for the relief band

http://www.mypilotstore.com

You will find it listed in medical supplies.

This is one of many places that sell it,I suggest you do a search on it, you will also gets lots of information about it.

It really does work , I have loaned it to others who have also thought it wonderful!

Lynda

Lynda - thanks for the website details

Alison - I'll look out for these ear plugs - thanks

Helen

You can buy accupressure wrist bands in Boots. They don't do anything for me, but my friend thinks they are great.

thanks for all the advice I think my DS is going to try the pressure bands and the earplanes for this trip and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that they work - it's such a shame when they are so excited but are miserable at the thought of being unwell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter