Laid back planners.... where ya at?! *DESPERADOS UNITE!*

Oh sheesh! I need to get off Dis and get ready for my first day at a new job!!!:thumbsup2 Thank goodness I have next week off/going to WDW. This week is way to full of stuff....

I'm a very low key planner and relatively new Disney fan compared to the experts here. But I love coming here for advice, tips and just general info. And even if I am not a planner, the info from the folks here has enriched our experiences with each trip since I've been visiting.

Here is our typical "planning"

"Do you have any rooms left at a Deluxe resort the week after next? Ok, we'll take that. Dining plan? Never tried it before but, ok, you convinced me."

"Hello, reservations? I'm trying to find some place to eat dinner on March 16. Yes, I know it's March first. We just decided to make the trip yesterday. Ok, sure, that sounds good. We'll take that. Do you have any breakfasts? No, any day between the 15th and the 20th would be fine. Characters? ok! Oh, you have two choices for me. Umm...which one would you choose? ok! Sure, that will be fine..."

"Look, there is no wait for that. Let's do it."

"40 minute wait, no problem, I can check my email"

"What should we do now? I don't know. What do you want to do?"

"The girls want to sleep in. Don't worry, we'll get to the park by noon."

We basically just wander around with no concrete plan and no expectations and we have a great time.

My husband is a little more toward Type A than the rest of the family, but at WDW he's happy doing anything!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I'm becoming uber desperado the more trips we get under our belts. This trip I just booked our flights last week (it was almost becoming a game to see how long I could wait :lmao:). Heck, I don't even have three days planned of our 7 day trip. We have adrs bc of free dining, but I have no clue which park we'll hit that day.
Also, I'm desperado at packing as well. The first trip our suitcases were packed like months in advance, and I agonized over what to or what not to pack. This trip, ima be tossin tank tops and shorts in the carryons. As my hub says "we're not going to the middle of siberia, if we forget it we can pick it up there". (Yeah, I can fit everything we need for a 7 night stay in two carryons for the three of us.)

I'm more desperado than A-type. I do a little planning. Have a little system to keep track of park hours and ADRs for the week but, that's all. I don't time bathroom breaks, parades, or shows. We get hoppers so we can change our minds if we like.
I'll grab a fast pass if I feel like it but, I don't haul a** through the parks at rope drop (I think I made 1 rope drop last year), to grab them for TSMM, Soarin' or any of the Mountains. We wander and enjoy our environment and vacation. If we want to ride POTC 3x in a row because they're walk ons, we will. I know the rest of the attractions aren't going anywhere.
We eat our QS meals wherever we are, when we are hungry. If we need to take a break, we will go back to the hotel. If we don't need a break, we'll stay.
I only glance at my watch when I know we're getting close to our ADRs.
And as for ADRs, I don't mind making them 180 days out. No, I don't know what I'm going to want to eat next week let alone in 6 months either but, good grief, I know they'll have something for me to eat!

Dh and I decided last month to go for a few days in Sept.....we have been there enough with and without the kids that we are comfortable just "winging it"...sometimes not having anything planned is more relaxing, not having to worry about where we are going to be when, we get our tickets and we go....I did make 2 reservations one for breakfast...Kona and one for dinner Capn Jacks other than that we will wake up and say lets go here and there today.....

ps I am a HUGE planner to the T normally(even own my own wedding/event planner cuz Im one that is all about the tiniest details) but the past few trips down we have had the attitude of whatever.....

Count me in as a hopeful Desperado.

Went totally commando during my last trip: Touringplans.com determined which park for which day, I made Ridemax plans that began at rope drop and didn't end until the parks closed (which we dutifully followed) and ADR's for almost every dinner.

This time, I'm going with a bunch of laid-back friends who most definitely won't want to get up early, let alone be at RD. And because we're heading down to the shuttle launch we'll have to be VERY flexible about what parks we're going to (the shuttle is scheduled to launch on Nov. 1, but that apparently never happens when it's supposed to).

So this trip will be a good test for me to earn my LGPMH :thumbsup2

But laying off making tour plans doesn't mean that I have to give up obsessively reading the DISboards, right? :surfweb: Phew, thank goodness!

But laying off making tour plans doesn't mean that I have to give up obsessively reading the DISboards, right? Phew, thank goodness!

Satisfy your DIS-OCD all you want, we all do.

Aside from trip reservations and bookings, etc... eliminate your planning of in-park / around park activities, forget most of what you know about the place, take it in strides. Pay attention to little details you may have missed in the past while enjoying a snack or beverage of choice, slowly, while sitting in the counter service seating area. Check the nuts and bolts decorating the place, you might find Mickey Ears instead of a phillips head screw.

Bring as few extras to the park with you as you can. Only the necessities like a camera, water, sunscreen / bug wipes and personal items you must have. Brave the monsoons without a poncho, take cover and enjoy the nearest shop, food, or ride which provides shelter from the rain.

Stay on the People Mover for a few cycles, just to cool off.

Blow off the parks and hit the food and nightlife on I-Drive, or Downtown Orlando. Go check out the classic car shows at Old Town. Get drunk at Sea World or Universal, maybe even stay sober at Universal or Sea World.

Enjoy the booze at Epcot, DTD, JellyRolls.

Going off the reservation in and of itself is totally Desperado.

IIRC you're going in a low attendance season. DW and I did MK in 5 hours once, left, came back for the holiday after party. When the park is not crowded, IT IS SOOOOO NOT CROWDED.

I think that this method helps you share moments and enjoy the people you're with in a magical place, rather than trying to squeeze every cent of magic out of the park to get more value. It doesn't seem very magical if you couldn't share some laughs, loves, and moments there.

Oh, and if you have some noobs with you, walk them under the DTD Stitch at World of Disney.

Enjoy.

Thank you, thank you, thanks to all of you for this wonderful thread!!! I read almost all posts and I think that I'm finally "brain washed" (in a postitiv way).
I used to be a commando - but that always ends up in a disaster! I do not want to commando anymore, I totally hate it and all I want is a relaxed WDW vacation!!

I'm a Desperado wanna be . . .I aspire to be like you all, truly :angel:. But I have an "addiction" - to PLANNING - somehow planning makes the trip seem closer (since we've only been able to visit DW every two years in recent years). We also visit at a very busy time (President's week); by virtue of having kids in school and teachers in our (Grand Gathering) family.
I think the last trip I over-planned; I had a meltdown by day two when everyone scattered and my carefully typed touring plan cards got thrown in the trash. :sad1: I remember exactly where I was too; in Epcot, by test track. I love test track.:thumbsup2
I'm trying to treat my "addiction" by not overplanning this trip. . . I'm subscribing to this thread. I'm going to beat it. :woohoo: I know I can do it.:cheer2:
I'm going to check airfare again for the 3rd time today . . . Help me! :upsidedow

when everyone scattered and my carefully typed touring plan cards got thrown in the trash.

Sounds like mutiny. That doesn't happen to Desperado's, no reason to jump from a leisure ship, and if the kids misbehave you can say:

"WE WILL LEAVE THIS PARK RIGHT NOW AND NOT COME BACK IF YOU KEEP THIS UP."

You can always come back later when they promise to behave, and you didn't have to worry about ruining your schedule.

Good luck on your journey, you're welcome to stop and smell the roses with us.

The moderators have decided this thread would be a better fit on the theme parks community board, so I'm going to move this there now.

Hey guys! The thread has been moved to another board (IDK what board it was even posted on from the get go!). SO in order to keep your signatures correct and updated.. replace the LGPMH url in your sig with this

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2522331

Thanks!!!

ETA:NEVERMIND! The link is still the same at least for the moment.............

Desperado friends, help! I need some support

I took a nap and had a DISNEY TRAVEL NIGHTMARE this afternoon. I dreamt I forgot the plane tickets, dreamt I forgot to make resort reservations and was forced to spend all my money on the most expensive suite in the highest tower at the Contemporary.

I woke up so stressed out. LOL. I need a margarita. It's 5 o'clock somewhere, right?

I took a nap and had a DISNEY TRAVEL NIGHTMARE this afternoon. I dreamt I forgot the plane tickets

No problem. Most airlines e-ticket, Desperados calmly walk to the counter, hand over their ID and credit card and say "Find me, these travel pressures made me forget my printout."

dreamt I forgot to make resort reservations and was forced to spend all my money on the most expensive suite in the highest tower at the Contemporary.

This happened to us once and we stayed at the most expensive room (well not the most) available at the Dolphin. It was friggin awesome! Spoiled every other hotel out there for us, so we were forced to move to Florida or always be miserable in subpar hotels. Then we found a nice hotel in Key West, so we live in fantasyland and play in the Conch Republic.

I woke up so stressed out. LOL. I need a margarita. It's 5 o'clock somewhere, right?

Yes. I recommend mango margaritas in Florida. Alcohol and cigars just taste better in tropical weather. This is very Desperado.

You should re-schedule your flight for 2 hours from now.

I took a nap and had a DISNEY TRAVEL NIGHTMARE this afternoon. I dreamt I forgot the plane tickets, dreamt I forgot to make resort reservations and was forced to spend all my money on the most expensive suite in the highest tower at the Contemporary.

Hey - if you're having margarita's it wasn't a nightmare then. Maybe it was just your brain tricking you into serving it a margarita. ;)

It's just pre-trip jitters. You'll be good and having a blast in just a few days. :goodvibes :banana:

I'm kinda going to repeat what Pineapple Whip is saying - there's always a positive to something when you think its going wrong.

In fact I have a story where I had to stay at the Dolphin at the last min too ( we were going to stay in Tampa but the hotel was moldy), we became so spoiled by the Dolphin and we had an impromptu Disney visit. Talk about laid back planning - huh? :rotfl:

Recovering commando checking in! :wave2:

Our last trip was our honeymoon, plus it was only DH's 2nd trip, so I admit to being very commando before we left. Once we were in WDW though, the trip became the bridge between my formerly commando self and my new desperado self. We had some great desperado days (partly due to the weather) and we're addicted now. We're foodies so we'll probably always have a handful of ADRs, but we're also looking forward to not even entering a park before 11am on our next trip, plus several non-park days. pirate:

No problem. Most airlines e-ticket, Desperados calmly walk to the counter, hand over their ID and credit card and say "Find me, these travel pressures made me forget my printout."

This happened to us once and we stayed at the most expensive room (well not the most) available at the Dolphin. It was friggin awesome! Spoiled every other hotel out there for us, so we were forced to move to Florida or always be miserable in subpar hotels. Then we found a nice hotel in Key West, so we live in fantasyland and play in the Conch Republic.

Yes. I recommend mango margaritas in Florida. Alcohol and cigars just taste better in tropical weather. This is very Desperado.

You should re-schedule your flight for 2 hours from now.

Thanks for the cognitive reframe there! Needed a little breath of fresh air. No more dis before nap time.

Mmmmmmmmmm mango margaritas. I will be getting some form of alcohol at the Swolphin pool the moment we check in. I don't care if its only noon.:lmao:

Hey - if you're having margarita's it wasn't a nightmare then. Maybe it was just your brain tricking you into serving it a margarita. ;)

It's just pre-trip jitters. You'll be good and having a blast in just a few days. :goodvibes :banana:

I'm kinda going to repeat what Pineapple Whip is saying - there's always a positive to something when you think its going wrong.

In fact I have a story where I had to stay at the Dolphin at the last min too ( we were going to stay in Tampa but the hotel was moldy), we became so spoiled by the Dolphin and we had an impromptu Disney visit. Talk about laid back planning - huh? :rotfl:

Thanks for the Desperado support. IDK what happened, but that was a very un-desperado dream!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter