Kindle won't charge...any ideas?

Luv Bunnies

DIS Veteran
I usually charge my Kindle Fire overnight and it had a full charge yesterday morning. I used it a lot yesterday until it gave me the 15% remaining charge warning. I put it on the charger last night, but this morning it was still at 15%. I plugged it into the charger again and used an outlet that I know is working. When I plug the cord into the Kindle, the orange light doesn't come on like it usually does to show it's charging. I tired plugging it in several times and even using different outlets in the house. It's still not charging. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the charging cord, or the device itself? I've had it since May and use it everyday. Any ideas?

Contact Amazon Customer Service for help. They are pretty good with troubleshooting.

I usually charge my Kindle Fire overnight and it had a full charge yesterday morning. I used it a lot yesterday until it gave me the 15% remaining charge warning. I put it on the charger last night, but this morning it was still at 15%. I plugged it into the charger again and used an outlet that I know is working. When I plug the cord into the Kindle, the orange light doesn't come on like it usually does to show it's charging. I tired plugging it in several times and even using different outlets in the house. It's still not charging. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the charging cord, or the device itself? I've had it since May and use it everyday. Any ideas?

If the light doesn't come on then the charger is blown. A new one costs about $10 on Amazon.

I have to press the button to turn off the screen (not all the way shut down though) and then plug in the charger to get mine to charge.

I have been having the same issue off and on for a few months now too.

I have tried other chargers and it is the same thing.

I end up turning if totally off and doing a hard reset if necessary (hold the power button down for 15 seconds) and then it works.

I am torn between wanting to keep my Kindle Fire or wanting it to die so I can get the new Kindle Fire.

I also have this problem. I've found if I plug the Kindle into my computer it charges up very quickly. However, it will no longer take a charge from a wall outlet. I'm on my second charger cord, too.

My son and I just had to replace our chargers. In fact they came in today's mail. I found that it would no longer fit securely in the device. I ordered them Tuesday night so we really didn't have to wait long.

When I have that problem, I turn off wireless, go to home, then menue,then settings, then menue agian, then restart. Not sure if your Fire follows this route but that is what works for my Kindle keyboard when it acts up

I had this problem also. Amazon replaced the Kindle. I read somewhere this is a frequent problem:confused3

I had this problem also. Amazon replaced the Kindle. I read somewhere this is a frequent problem:confused3

I would only want to replace my Kindle if I could upgrade to the newer one. I would be afraid that the same thing would happen again to the replaced one.

DD had this problem, too. We tried a new charger, but the problem was in the kindle itself.

I bought the warranty when we bought her kindle and so we called customer service. They immediately sent out a new kindle and we shipped back the old one.

Wonderful customer service!

I would only want to replace my Kindle if I could upgrade to the newer one. I would be afraid that the same thing would happen again to the replaced one.

So what? We have had two replaced, free shipping, no charge, very easy.

DH had the same problem he called the customer service number, told them what was going on. They sent him a new one at no charge we just have to send the old one in with in 30 days.

Yep, our girls had this problem too. The issue was something with the charger port connection coming loose and you can't "properly" plug it in to charge. We got them at Radio Shack and they said bring them back and they will replace them.

I had the same problem with my Nook a while back. I contacted customer support, and they told me to turn it off completely, and reboot. I did, and it worked. Every once in a while, it will give me issues charging, and I just reboot it. Works every time.

OP here. Thanks for all the of the replies and advice. I called Amazon tech support last night. The tech had me do a reboot but it still wouldn't charge, so they're sending me a new one. The tech said it happens sometimes and there's no way to fix it. I just have to send the old one back within 30 days. I'm already missing my games and books. I didn't realize how much I use that thing!:)

I just got mine replaced earlier this week for this exact same problem. My kids are thrilled to have "my" kindle working again. They've completely hogged it to play Angry Bird Star Wars!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter