kids working and going to school

clori

DIS Veteran
My dd13/8th grade has to write a paper. I don't know the exact assignment but it is basically do you think middle/high school age kids should hold part time jobs while attending school. I am not helping her with the paper.

Do you think kids should work part time while attending school? What hours do you think is okay for them to work? So far my dd has done an occasion babysitting job. All I have told her is she will have to see how high school goes and how much she thinks she can handle. I worked in high school but never later than 8pm on school nights.

When I was in HS my parents policy was if I maintained good grades and was involved in activities I was not required to work. I was required to maintain the house, even mowing the lawn. In the summer when I had more free time I did pick up a part time job. The same applied when I was in college. My parents did not require me to work and provided financial support. I plan to do the same with my children. My dh had to work in HS while playing sports and put himself through college. It was very stressful for him and while he did it all it was not his happiest days. I know he is not interested in putting the same stress on our kids. I know you can do all three, but since we are able to provide financial support to them, I do not want to add the extra stress on to them.

This is truly one of those things where 'every kid is different".

In no way can my oldest son work and go to school full time and this was in college. It was an absolute disaster. He just could not handle the work load. Now he is in a trade/apprenticeship program where he has 3 full days of classes and works 3 days.

Now my youngest, no problem.

Not sure if they still do this but when my kids were in H.S. legally they could not work past 10 pm on school days anyway.

We have never required or even encourage our kids to work an outside job. We are one of those "education, first last and in the middle". If they wanted to work we were cool with it but we also let them know the nanosecond their grades dropped, bye bye job.

I worked during HS and college and all summer.

My kids did not work during the school year, but had/have jobs in the summer during HS and college.

I think it's important for students to have a record of work on their resumes by the time they start looking for their "real job".

I think a PT job (10-15) hours a week for a 17 or 18 year old is a good idea - I worked at a shoe store while a Jr. in High school and I think it gave me a good work ethic, I learned responsibility, and the paycheck paid for my gas and spending money. I also met one of my best friends I still have to this day.

I generally worked one weeknight and one full weekend day. Any more than that may be too much with homework and school activities.

in junior high the only 'job' I had was tutoring. in high school I got my first 'real job' and I worked maybe 20 hours per week (3 hrs each day after school, 5 hours on Saturday). it served me well. gave me skills and a proven work history so that when I HAD to work during college I had a foot up on the other college students competing (they ended up working fast food while I was able to get a higher paying office job).

it wasn't practical for our dd to work during high school-cost of gas/wear and tear on the car to any place that would hire teens (few and far between when competing with unemployed adults/college students) pretty much zero'd out earnings. we did encourage her in high school to do volunteer work, and use one elective to be a t.a., office assistant or something that would garner her skills that would be marketable for part time work during college. she ended up volunteering for the public library (and after a year they allow volunteers to list them as a job reference:thumbsup2), and did a year of being a computer tech. for the high school teacher who was the director of technology for her school. as a result she has some skills her peers do not, along with a great letter of recommendation.

I only worked a little during the school year, but always worked full time in the Summer. I hope my kids will be able to do the same. Gas money & such will need to be earned, not received as a gift. But, we'll cover the basics.

I think a job in high school is a good idea assuming the student can maintain grades. It looks good on college applications as it shows that the student can be somewhat professional (you don't get kicked out of high school for being late all the time, saying your sick way more often then you should etc and can depending on the student and school get good grades still - a job is harder to manage this). Also shows that the student can manage time around multiple priorities.

As for hours I know around here its no later then 10 on school nights and midnight on weekends by law. I was fine with those hours.

I definitely think even if they dont' have a job during the year that in high school and college ever student should have summer jobs. I knew a student that hard a REALLY hard time getting the first co-op for school (program required co-ops to graduate) because he was 20 years old and never had a job of any kind. He had to take one of the much less prestigious (and lower paying) jobs offered through the school (the school is more willing to accept professor recommendations that most companies are). If the school hadn't required co-ops he easily could have been 22 and trying to get his first full time job without ever having had any job. I can't imagine that would be an easy job search.

I worked starting at 16, I wanted my own money! I worked at a supermarket in town, a bunch of my friends worked there, it wasn't bad. I worked 3-7 like 3 weekdays and then every Saturday and Sunday 6 hours each day. I did go to only weekends during softball season because I had games/practice after school.

My kids (12 and 14r 6th and 8th grade now) are hoping to be rec counselors in the summer, DD will babysit(already started), I don't think they'll have regular jobs because of their sports schedules, but we shall see.
I'd prefer it if they didn't have a normal job during the school year, but still had a way to make a few dollars, such as babysitting.

It depends on the kid and what else they are doing.

ODS played baseball while in school. Baseball WAS his job at the time. After school practice until 8 or 9 some nights--the earliest would be 7. 2-3 games per week. Practice on the weekends. During the summer, he played on two summer ball teams, one with his high school team and one with he was invited to play on. He learned everything he needed for the work force through this sport. The work ethic, being a team player, striving to learn as much as he can about the job he does and the one he wants to do all came from baseball and has helped him do well in his chosen profession.

YDS finally got to a point his senior year where he could work and keep up with his classes and he had a part time job at McDonalds. He is doing well now in his job but it took awhile. I honestly think playing ball taught them more than having a part time job did.

DD isn't to that point yet. But as long as she is in choir and a capella and doing well in school, we won't require her to have a job.

We also had the policy that if I was participating in sports that I wouldn't need to get a part time job. If I stopped, they'd expect me to get one to pay for my gas and extra goodies. I thought it was fair.

When you get to high school you have practice every day after school and/or games. There really isn't time to throw in a part time job AND have time for school work AND get to be a kid.

My best friend was expected to work. She chose babysitting and made a steady income. She was expected to pay for 1/2 of a vehicle when she turned 16. Her parents would match. I can't remember if she had to pay for insurance. Definitely gas. But she had the time because she wasn't into athletics at all.

My oldest (18 and college freshman) did not work in HS. He was involved in band, theatre, chorus and a capella and those took up a tremendous amount of time. Arts kids are just as busy as sports kids! He got his first job this past summer as a camp counselor. He is now looking to find a job on campus next semester.

My youngest is 14 and would love a job, but it is very rare that 14 year olds are hired around here. When he turns 15, he can apply at Wegmans, our grocery store. He is also involved in band and theatre, will do chorus next year, wants to play tennis in the spring and is in all honors classes. I don't know where a job will fit into that schedule, but he does not like to have a lot of down time. He is my little extrovert. ;)

I worked late some nights but I was a hostess and only worked maybe three nights a week.

At my school they had a school to work program. As long a you had enough credits in 12th grade you only had to go to school half the day than you left to go to work. That left your evenings free. It was pretty cool but I didn't do it. I had credits to make up in my 12th grade year cause I homeschooled in 11th.

That being said. I personally believe now that kids shouldn't work. I think you only get 18 years to be a kid and than have to work until you retire or die. Those are a short 18 years compared to the 40+ people work. That's just me personally. I hope I can make enough so DS doesn't have to worry about it until after college but I know that's not always a reality.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My parents belief was that as a teenager your job was being a student. We were discouraged from jobs during the school year, but my sisters and I were all involved in sports every season, as well as band and other things. During the summer jobs were encouraged, but not mandatory. I did not have a car until I graduated, so I really didn't have a need for money anyway. For 3 of 4 years in college I worked full time while going to school full time, and participated in dance team.

I think it's a good idea for high schoolers to get paid work experience. I wouldn't want the lack of job experience to keep them from getting internships or jobs in their field while in college.

As far as how many hours, I don't have a set number in mind, but I'd want the job to be flexible enough to accommodate extracurricular activities, etc.

It really depends on the situation. I am a HS senior and consider school my job. My parents and I expect myself not to pass my classes but to ace them, and doing that takes up a lot of time that I could use to get a job.

From 7-2:30 I am in school, but the classes I have enrolled in (honors and AP courses) require outside work also. From the time I get home, I could be spending 2-3 hours doing homework and studying (more when I have lab reports to write up), and, by the time I am finished, I average out at almost 10 hours of school work done every day. Per week, it is 50+ hours, which is somewhat equivalent to a full-time job plus overtime.

Personally, I do not have a need for the money from a part-time job. I do not have a car and rarely go out with friends, and the basics are covered from my parents as long as I stay in school.

DS 17 has worked at the grocery store for a year and half. He typically works 14 hours a week during the school year and maybe 20 during the summer.
It has been a great experience and taught him lots about the bigger world.

I definitely think kids should work during high school!!!

Personally I don't think teens should work. But that's largely specific to where we live - lots of teens, not many jobs, and the places that do hire teens are not at all flexible about what my son calls "having a life". He has friends who have been fired for going on a family holiday (over Thanksgiving - Black Friday was a "work or else" day), who had to choose between a sport or their job because the employer wasn't willing to work around a practice schedule, etc. Unless you are available to work any time you're allowed by law to work, you're not going to find/hold a teen job in our area. And I feel that for most kids, the opportunity costs of that level of commitment to a McJob are just too high - band and football and baseball and 4H and other extracurriculars are more valuable uses of time as a teen than taking drive-thru orders.

I really think it depends on the kid, the family, and where they live. From when I was 14 till I was 16, I worked just about every Saturday and/or Sunday, plus school vacations, at a local arcade/bowling alley. I couldn't drive yet, but my parents could drive me on weekends and my older sister, who worked there as well, drove me during vacations. The family who owned the place hired a lot of teenagers and held them all the high standards, so we all developed a great work ethic. I'm glad I had that job.

When I turned 17 I got a different job within walking distance to my house. I worked several 2.5 hour shifts during the week and longer shifts on weekends and vacations. I also worked there weekends and vacations all through college.

For me, working during school was never an issue. I was a straight A student and was still able to do band and drama during high school, which were a greater time commitment than most sports. But I understand that it can't work for every kid. I was fortunate that both my jobs understood that school and sometimes extracurriculars had to come first.

I started working when I was 13. Not babysitting, but a legitimate working in a realtor's office stuffing envelopes, answering phones, and filing job.

I also babysat. It was expected that my sister and I keep good grades and work at least one job. My father was the master of many jobs- so one part time job was never enough for us kids- I was babysitting, working in a restaurant and a retail store plus go to school during my senior year of high school)

I have two kids- one is a jr. in high school and the other a freshman in college. My oldest goes to college full time and works at a restaurant two-three days a week. He probably does 15-20 hours a week. When he is off school, he will do about 30-40 hours a week.

My youngest goes to high school has very good grades and has four part time jobs! (Babysitting, party birthday place #1, party birthday place #2, part time at a store in the mall). Granted between all four part time jobs, she maybe only works 10 -15 hours per week and more if she is babysitting. The party places contact her maybe once/twice a month for a party. Babysitting is every Saturday if she wants. She works at the mall about 10 hours a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter