Kids headed to College Fall 2012 Check-in

My son moves in on a Thursday and I know that he ~can~ get in as early as Monday which is the day all those early groups start showing up - but it is a $50 a day fee and he has to let them know in advance.

Great section in today's Chicago Tribune all about sending your child away to college; from shots to get, how not to be a helicopter parent, picking your major early, etc.

This article in particular was good about packing/shopping and the differences between boys and girls. I have DD going away next month and it sure is true about the shopping. Seems like parents of boys have it easier!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ing-20120725,0,6146582.story?page=2&dssReturn

Now you just had to go throw in that last sentence, didn't you? This is my first time at the rodeo and you just said exactly the bit I'm struggling with. It's such an odd thing to try and absorb.

My first time also. That is the part that *kills* me, I KNOW it'll never be the same. I know it will be a "good" different but it is a door closing and another opening!

I was in 8th grade when my middle sister left for college. :( She and I were very close and she was always motherly towards me. I remember watching her drive down the driveway to leave (every time she came home) and how terribly sad I was. I wasn't done growing up yet and still NEEDED her! lol I still tell her (34 years later), "You went to college and never came home!!" (She moved to SC)

I know DD is ready to go and we've equipped her the best we could. I am thrilled and excited for her. But darn, I'm going to miss that girl!!!!:worried:

My son moves in on a Thursday and I know that he ~can~ get in as early as Monday which is the day all those early groups start showing up - but it is a $50 a day fee and he has to let them know in advance.

Fall sports moves in the 9th. Other freshman come the 23rd. Ours is $25.00 if someone wants to move in early. DD moves in the 9th and her roommate moves in the 23rd but wants to move in earlier. I think my DD is hoping she waits closer to the 23rd, lol.

My son doesn't move in until Aug 26 and we don't get roommate info until after the first. My second child a boy went last year and I learned that boys are definitely minimalist for the most part. So, sending my second son off this year I won't get so worked up about it....

My son's dad went to orientation with him. He loves information and my notes wouldn't have been good enough for him :rotfl:

It was suggested that at least one parent came to orientation. There were sessions for student and parent together, and then things for the students to do at night while the parents could go to a reception. The students slept in dorms, and parents could too if they wanted, but in a different dorm than the kids. On the second day parents weren't allowed to go to adviser meetings so they could tour campus and go to some other things they had set up while the students were gone. Ex enjoyed it and said there were tons of parents there.

My son moves in August 14th. He's going a day early which is costing us $35 for the night, but it should be worth it just to avoid the majority of the move in traffic. We are done shopping for books and "household" stuff, and I think he's set. He'll only be an hour or so away, so it wont be too bad for us.

At my daughter's orientation one parent was complaining that the parents weren't allowed to meet with the students' advisors because she knew what her son needed to take this fall and the advisor surely wouldn't know what was best for her snowflake.

I have to say that our parent orientation was great. I had been to one for my other daughter 3 years ago and that one was just ok.

Our orientation was great, also. The financial director started her spiel by saying she didn't need a mike because she's an Italian from New York and I knew right off we'd get along! :lmao:

The auditorium was huge and only two areas were used for the orientation. About 300 parents were there. Off to the side of the stage which they did not use sat ONE man with a pad, who interrupted every speaker with a unmitigated BRAG...:rolleyes1 ... MY daughter took only AP courses, can you slow down when you speak of AP courses? My daughter's GPA is blah blah, I am a blah blah..DID I tell you about my daughter?..popcorn:: Uh, SHUTTUP already! :headache:

Wonder if he was a DISer???? :rolleyes: :lmao:

The parent's part was only 2 hours, the student's part was from 7am to 6pm. I was a little concerned about Michael because he's EXTREMELY shy but he LOVED it. He said 3 kids from his high school were there and even though they weren't close in hs, they were drawn to each other there. He was also impressed by the range of ages among the "kids", 16 to 45! :eek: The 45yo was an adult returning to school after working for years.

He already knows he's gonna like it there! :thumbsup2

Both dh and I went to dd's orientation. Are we helicopter parents? Hardly. But, it will be nice to know what dd is talking about when she is talking about her day to day experiences at college!! The kids all left after the big welcome to orientation talk. We didn't see them again until later that night. We all got together for a motivational speaker after dinner. The kids didn't even sit with the parents..they sat with their groups, the parents sat in another area! Got to say goodnight to them and they went off to the dorms for more fun...evidently lots of it since there was no sleeping until at least 1am!! Parents went off and did their own thing. Went back the next morning, had more meetings and such. During orientation we listened to various deans tell us what we needed to know about the college, what their policies are, etc. We got to attend special, small group meetings in a variety of subjects. We chose study abroad, tutoring services and campus activities. It was good to find out what is available and be able to actually speak to someone that is active in that particular area.
Yes, lots of it was boring...this was my third orientation...ds had two of them. And yes, there were more than plenty of helicopter parents asking stupid questions. But, all in all, I was glad we went. We ate in the dining hall where dd would eat her main meals...so got to see what her options would be and see if the meal plan that she had chosen was the best option for her.

So, the laundry has started, the shopping is almost finished. This time next month, she will be an official student at Roger Williams University in Bristol RI. We are thrilled for her...a beautiful campus, smallish student body...perfect fit for her. A bit scary, but hey, change usually is.

Both dh and I went to dd's orientation. Are we helicopter parents? Hardly. But, it will be nice to know what dd is talking about when she is talking about her day to day experiences at college!!

There is a big difference between a helicopter parent and an involved parent. The past few years has put the two on the same level and it's about the same as an abusive parent and a parent who disciplines an unruly child. NOT the same by a long shot.

The Mommy Daddy wars which changes ever few years need to realize that reinventing the wheel does not show the end result. If we find a process that WORKS (and by works I mean the results are apparent in the people RAISED) then we wouldn't have to make it up as we go along.

::stepping off my podium:: ;)

At my son's orientation, he slept in the dorms and I went out drinking with some friends. Stayed out too late and missed most of the first session the next day.

So yes, I was basically there to be a good role model. :rotfl:

I wasn't trying to say going to orientation is helicoptering. Matter of fact, I was really feeling like I was slacking for not going & DD was just pushing me away. Everyone I know has gone to orientation w/ their kids, including this year. Several of my friends have been really surprised that ours was set up this way. A few have said they would have attended anyway. Now that I know how ours played out, I am relieved I didn't go -- but I still kind of feel a twinge of bad parent if that makes any sense.

Move-in day for first year students is August 31. There will be some parent type meetings that day, but I am not sure of the exact schedule.

We went to the "Freshman Preview" day last Saturday. It was only for a few hours, but was a great way to get information and check to make sure all forms were done.

Here is a question which I know will vary widely, but how much $ are you planning to give your college freshman each month? My first one that went off had one of my credit cards to use if there was an emergency. I wouldn't have cared if he bought clothes or things, but he never did. DD? NOT getting a credit card. She is spendy!

He will get to use the money he earns from work study as spending cash. Other than that? Not too sure since $$ is real tight, and he has been having his own money from working for the past year. He will most likely need some gas money since he has to drive 30 mile (round trip) 3 times a week for ROTC, so maybe enough to cover gas.

DS is expected to make his own spending money. We do dump $25 a month into his account (and DS16) just to "help out". We pay cell phone, car insurance etc and bought everything he needed for school. With meal plan and no car at school, he really shouldn't need much.

Orientation at the University of Southern California was amazing. It was wonderful to network with other parents who are going through what we are. The sessions that they had for us were very informative and they helped with the anxiety that I am feeling with sending my child halfway across the country. The orientation was designed for parents and students to attend together, some sessions were scheduled separate, some all together. They really did an amazing job of addressing our concerns, especially with USC being in south central Los Angeles. I wouldn't have missed it for anything and wish that all parents could have the chance to feel a part of the university's family just as we are now part of the Trojan Family.

My son (and us) got his third send-off party invitation today! One is a regional party at a lake sponsored by the alumni association -- I don't think we're going to that one, one by the local chapter of the alumni association at a baseball game -- we will go to that one, and one at the home of another rising freshman (whom we barely know) -- we'll probably go to that one, too.

Boston Tea Party -- You could have changed Southern Cal to UNC-Chapel Hill and I would agree with everything you said. DH and I had a great time at orientation and learned a lot even though we both went to DS's school, we both have worked there and we've sent two other kids to college.

Here is a question which I know will vary widely, but how much $ are you planning to give your college freshman each month? My first one that went off had one of my credit cards to use if there was an emergency. I wouldn't have cared if he bought clothes or things, but he never did. DD? NOT getting a credit card. She is spendy!

Nothing. It's either from the little he has left from working (he has traveled most of this summer so that total will be very little when he returns in 10days) or scholarship/loan/grant extras.

He has is own CC so he will need to learn quickly how to manage.

My son (and us) got his third send-off party invitation today! One is a regional party at a lake sponsored by the alumni association -- I don't think we're going to that one, one by the local chapter of the alumni association at a baseball game -- we will go to that one, and one at the home of another rising freshman (whom we barely know) -- we'll probably go to that one, too.

Boston Tea Party -- You could have changed Southern Cal to UNC-Chapel Hill and I would agree with everything you said. DH and I had a great time at orientation and learned a lot even though we both went to DS's school, we both have worked there and we've sent two other kids to college.

Glad you had a good experience as well. This past Sunday we went to the SCend Off (all of their program titles, where applicable, use the SC ;) ) at an alumni's home. It was awesome - lots of food, freebies, people to meet, and an invitation to watch the football games on TV. Hope that you enjoy yours!

DD's orientation lasted from 8(?) to 3:30ish.

I went, DH did not. It was all very interesting to me. I never went to college so it all makes me wish I had this experience. I've learned so much through homeschooling DD through HS and attending all the opportunities for her at the college. I find it all very interesting and love the atmosphere of a small college campus as a community within a community.

Anyway, during orientation there was a lot of talk about cutting the apron strings and also encouraging your student to participate on campus and to give it a chance if they call home and say they are 1) homesick 2) hate it 3) bored 4)the food is bad.... etc. etc. etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter