Kids headed to College Fall 2012 Check-in

DD is ticked because one of the girls in the suite has the same name as DD! :lmao: She has an unusual name that we really don't hear often at all. Seriously, 3 kids, 3 different schools & haven't heard her name more than once. Since we've lived here, we've run into 2 girls w/her name. One was in her HS performing group & now this one is her roomie. :confused3:lmao: The other 2 roomies share the same first initial.

Maybe you fill out all the stuff to find compatible suite mates and its all just alphabetic! :rotfl2:

DD has spoken to her roommate at Hofstra. They have the alot of the same interests so hopefully it will work out. DD is going to a 3 day orientation in July and the roommate is going to the same one so hopefully they will room these 3 days. I am hoping they put them together. The roommate is going for Dance where as my DD is going for Music Ed.

We are still in the form phase at Fordham. No assignments yet. He does have a day orientation on July9th....It will be interesting when he gets his room assignments.

So are we all ready for freshman year? I'm sure some of you kids go soon. My senior goes back on August 23rd and then on August 24th we bring my Freshman to move into her dorm! We have to set up staging areas in our house that week!:scared1:

Slightly frustrated with ds's school and move in date. It's one of 2 days that get assigned. Only they have not assigned one yet! We need to plan as my three other kids start school before then. They will have to stay home with one of us. And tuitionis due in a week.:scared1:

PanicIs setting in for me, he couldn't be more excited!

Thought you all might appreciate this. Attended DS' 2-day orientation and during one of the parent sessions, a mother asked whether attendance was taken in the dorms at the end of every night.

My response (though I tactfully kept it inside) was: :rotfl2::rotfl2:

When the college rep politely responded "no" (while probably dying inside), she pressed on. "But what if something happens to my daughter and she doesn't make it home at night. Will anyone know?" ... and then I just felt sad for her. She was just, before our eyes, starting to fully understand what it really means to send your offspring off on their own. And I guess, though most of us manage to keep our heads about it, we're all there to some extent.

Thought you all might appreciate this. Attended DS' 2-day orientation and during one of the parent sessions, a mother asked whether attendance was taken in the dorms at the end of every night.

When the college rep politely responded "no" (while probably dying inside), she pressed on. "But what if something happens to my daughter and she doesn't make it home at night. Will anyone know?" ... and then I just felt sad for her. She was just, before our eyes, starting to fully understand what it really means to send your offspring off on their own. And I guess, though most of us manage to keep our heads about it, we're all there to some extent.
We had similar parents at our orientation as well. Stuff like...'Will you notify us if our son misses his classes?' or 'Is my daughter going to be around alcohol in her dorm?'
Man, parents need to figure out how to let go...roots and wings people, roots and wings. It's hard..I get that. I'm trying to pat down all my nerves about my dd going off to school in a month. I want her to feel that we have the utmost faith in her abilities. She is off, working at the camp she has been going to for 8 years. She's a counselor now, and in charge of the little ones who are just starting out. So, hopefully, she is dealing with being independent now.

She just got her dorm assignment...the bldg she wanted. Now, to wait for the roommate information. The pile of 'stuff' is building up in the spare room!!! Darn good thing we have an SUV!!!

Classes are firmed up, books are being bought. Man, this is really going to happen.

My oldest is leaving for college next month and your story is sad and a little frightening. I love my son, but truly, he is ready for his next step in life and we are proud to see him go (even if we and he are a little anxious about it). He got his roommate assignments today and is on :cloud9:.

We have a friend that has always been over protective with her son and college is hitting her REALLY hard. She suggested that she should rent a hotel room for 2 weeks when he starts just incase he needs anything?! We calmly told her that was not a good idea.

We had similar parents at our orientation as well. Stuff like...'Will you notify us if our son misses his classes?' or 'Is my daughter going to be around alcohol in her dorm?'
Man, parents need to figure out how to let go...roots and wings people, roots and wings. It's hard..I get that. I'm trying to pat down all my nerves about my dd going off to school in a month. I want her to feel that we have the utmost faith in her abilities. She is off, working at the camp she has been going to for 8 years. She's a counselor now, and in charge of the little ones who are just starting out. So, hopefully, she is dealing with being independent now.

She just got her dorm assignment...the bldg she wanted. Now, to wait for the roommate information. The pile of 'stuff' is building up in the spare room!!! Darn good thing we have an SUV!!!

Classes are firmed up, books are being bought. Man, this is really going to happen.

We're at about the same stage as you. We've known her building from the start and the billing statement contains her room #, but we won't know roommate info for another 2 weeks. We're waiting to hear if she's been admitted to a leadership program, which would have her moving into her room 3 days earlier.

I felt a little wrong when she went to her orientation alone. I've always heard of parents orientation sessions & several friend w/ kids headed to different schools have all done them this year as well. Nope, DD assured me that it's really just about the students, they have parent sessions but the vibe was definitely there that they were merely for show, no meat & potatoes. She said fewer than half the kids at her orientation had parents attending. Most of them gave up before the first day was done. Literally only a handful were left by the next morning. This is a Big Ten school & was a massive orientation session. I really felt like a slacker parent not attending, but I guess she was right.

You all should appreciate this story, although if I read it I would think it was made up. I only know it to be true because the friend who told me about it knows first-hand and wouldn't make something like this up. Old friends of my friend live in CA and were getting ready to send their only child/DD off to college a couple years ago. Pwincess had adored their Hawaii vacations and was determined to attend college there, so of course that was her plan & they helped her reach her goal. Suddenly it dawned on them that there was a serious obstacle they had never even considered. Pwincess has never flushed a commode after a BM in her entire life because she is scared she will get doody on her.:eek: How can she attend college with an ocean between them if she cannot call them once duty has called her?

Pwincess commuted to college from home. As far as I know, mom and dad are "on call" to this day.

You all should appreciate this story, although if I read it I would think it was made up. I only know it to be true because the friend who told me about it knows first-hand and wouldn't make something like this up. Old friends of my friend live in CA and were getting ready to send their only child/DD off to college a couple years ago. Pwincess had adored their Hawaii vacations and was determined to attend college there, so of course that was her plan & they helped her reach her goal. Suddenly it dawned on them that there was a serious obstacle they had never even considered. Pwincess has never flushed a commode after a BM in her entire life because she is scared she will get doody on her.:eek: How can she attend college with an ocean between them if she cannot call them once duty has called her?

Pwincess commuted to college from home. As far as I know, mom and dad are "on call" to this day.

Does their toilet not have a lid?? :lmao:

Does their toilet not have a lid?? :lmao:

Several of us asked the same question (among other things) when she told us about this situation. Apparently that is not enough security for her. The parents know they should not allow this, but simply throw their hands in the air and say they don't know what to do. These are nice, decent people w/ a fairly decent daughter who is on the indulged side of Pwincess territory, but not a complete monster.

Please, if I ever allow my parenting to venture into such whackadoo territory & set my kids up for this type of failure, let my DH, my family, my friends, people on internet message boards, anybody, slap some sense into me.

You know when your kids start preschool & the potty training requirement & issues are discussed? How many of us heard parents whose kids weren't quite on target yet be told, "don't worry, nobody's ever gone off to college not potty trained"? Would I now be obliged to speak up in that situation and say, well, as a matter of fact I do happen to know of someone who altered their college plans for toileting issues? Like I said, I never would have believed the story if I didn't know the source.

Oh my!! (About that potty Pwincess!)

DD moves in on August the 9th! Yikes, time is flying!

Right now, I am hosting the colleges first female football player (kicker). She's here early to check out things before all the guys get here so they called me and asked if I would host her for several days (4 this week and 4 next). She will also move in on the 9th. Keeping my fingers crossed for her--I like girls that aren't afraid to "break the rules" and venture into new territory. :)

Move in for us is on August 20th. I won't be going as that is our first day back at work from summer vacation (teacher). Dad and brother will be taking her. She doesn't even want me to go to the airport when they leave on the 18th! Guess I will fall apart at home. ;)

That is very nice of you to host the kicker, Brenda. She has to be a very strong young lady to have made it this far in a male-dominated sport! Best of luck to her and your daughter as well!

I have to wonder: Who will change the diapers when (if?) she has children? :confused3

My son's recommended move-in day is Saturday, August 18, but he is allowed to move in August 17. They split the days to keep conjestion around the dorms where most freshman live down. We've not decided yet which we're going to do.

I'm very excited, happy, proud of him and know this is exactly what he should be doing. That being said, I've sent two kids to college previously and know exactly how big this really is. A chapter of our and his lives is closing and there's some bittersweetness to that.

My son's recommended move-in day is Saturday, August 18, but he is allowed to move in August 17. They split the days to keep conjestion around the dorms where most freshman live down. We've not decided yet which we're going to do.

I'm very excited, happy, proud of him and know this is exactly what he should be doing. That being said, I've sent two kids to college previously and know exactly how big this really is. A chapter of our and his lives is closing and there's some bittersweetness to that.

Now you just had to go throw in that last sentence, didn't you? This is my first time at the rodeo and you just said exactly the bit I'm struggling with. It's such an odd thing to try and absorb.

I felt a little wrong when she went to her orientation alone. I've always heard of parents orientation sessions & several friend w/ kids headed to different schools have all done them this year as well. Nope, DD assured me that it's really just about the students, they have parent sessions but the vibe was definitely there that they were merely for show, no meat & potatoes. She said fewer than half the kids at her orientation had parents attending. Most of them gave up before the first day was done. Literally only a handful were left by the next morning. This is a Big Ten school & was a massive orientation session. I really felt like a slacker parent not attending, but I guess she was right.

We didn't attend either;) Orientation was last month for 3 days and I just couldn't see us going to meeting after meeting...everything I need to know I can look up on the website or email someone. Really trying hard not to be overly involved in my son's college experience.

On Aug 23 we drive up to Denton to drop off my son. He will be attending UNT's Eagle Camp on the 24th so we will have literally less than 1 hour from the time housing opens up to let students move in their stuff until he has to leave for Camp. So no lingering for us...we'll just rip that band-aid off quick and drive on back to San Antonio.

He already registered for housing in January and for classes last month. Music students all typically stay in one particular hall (same dorm that Don Henley and Norah Jones lived in as students), so it gets filled up quickly. He will be in a community group, so his roommate was already assigned and they've been fb'ing already.

Truthfully, I'm sorta ready for him to leave now...it's been an unusual summer now that he's not in high school, but not really in college either. I've cut the apron strings so to speak, but at the same time, not really comfortable holding back on "parenting" him.

At my daughter's orientation one parent was complaining that the parents weren't allowed to meet with the students' advisors because she knew what her son needed to take this fall and the advisor surely wouldn't know what was best for her snowflake.

I have to say that our parent orientation was great. I had been to one for my other daughter 3 years ago and that one was just ok.

At my daughter's orientation one parent was complaining that the parents weren't allowed to meet with the students' advisors because she knew what her son needed to take this fall and the advisor surely wouldn't know what was best for her snowflake.

Don't these parents know that this is one area of parenting where slacking off is a good thing??:rotfl:

DIS'ers: Between you and me...I CAN'T WAIT for the first time someone tosses my son's wet laundry out of the washer because he left it unattended for hours on end. And there is a long list of other life lessons I'm hoping college life will re-enforce where my griping fell on deaf ears!

DD's orientation is tomorrow. She headed down to the beach with a friend/roommate today then they will be going to orientation tomorrow. I was also told that there were parent sessions but I didn't 'need' to go. We have been to the campus for various open houses and parent sessions so I don't think I need to be there. Time to cut the strings.

Move in day for out of towners is August 16th, intowners Aug 17th and for "returners" is Aug 18th. My great niece is going to the same school as my son and my sister, her husband(her grandparents), my nephew, and her sister (YES, they're all coming with her :goodvibes ) are all coming down on the 14th... ??? :confused3

I asked why and she swears that she can get in earlier... I don't know I think they need to CHECK before I have a bunch of houseguests for 2 days. :worried:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter