Kids and too much food?

Take the girls on a cruise?

• No, forget the cruise for now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have recently succeeded in moving them away from juice to water, from whole milk to 1%, and they have discovered they like green beans and cucumbers. It's a journey!

I did book a cruise for October.

This has been quite an adventure for us. First a paperwork nightmare to be approved to adopt, then a month in Colombia (we don't know much Spanish), and back home helping the girls with their fears, English, school, friends, etc.

It's the most difficult thing I have ever done, and the most important!

be sure to keep a journal to read back to your girls a few years from now about your journey becoming a family. Best wishes! Elaine

BTW I tried to book the cruise using the board sponsor as I really appreciate their videos and this board! However too much got mixed up with a "middleman". I said I wanted either ocean view or balcony, but she only quoted balcony. I asked about one room vs two rooms vs the larger family room... but didn't get much help there either. It seemed like she wasn't putting much effort into it. I needed to arrange my own flights using credit card points, so it was easier to book the whole thing myself. Hopefully others enjoy their service as I really want them to succeed! I'll try again for our spring break WDW trip.

BTW I tried to book the cruise using the board sponsor as I really appreciate their videos and this board! However too much got mixed up with a "middleman". I said I wanted either ocean view or balcony, but she only quoted balcony. I asked about one room vs two rooms vs the larger family room... but didn't get much help there either. It seemed like she wasn't putting much effort into it. I needed to arrange my own flights using credit card points, so it was easier to book the whole thing myself. Hopefully others enjoy their service as I really want them to succeed! I'll try again for our spring break WDW trip.

Sounds like the person I dealt with when I was actually pondering using them on a DCL cruise that was pricey enough the OBC would have been worth giving up control of the reservation. I specifically told her the category I wanted and listed a few cabins they were open when I contacted her and were still open when she came back to me with a quote - for a totally different category and none of my listed cabins. It was like she didn't even read the email beyond my desired sail date (and ergo ship)!! That just reminded me of why it's easier to just do it myself.

I hope y'all have a wonderful cruise!!

We adopted twin teen girls from Colombia last year. I'd like to take them on a cruise, but... they tend to eat way too much and are gaining excess weight. They will eat all we have of whatever they like and have no concept of some now and some later. This may be due to the limitations they had in orphanage life. So I'm thinking a cruise may be a bad idea with "free" food everywhere all the time. I'd appreciate others thoughts on this. Maybe we should just visit a non-all-inclusive beach resort somewhere so they can swim?

We do what we can, yet there are so many opportunities for them to eat junk food! Friends houses, school, WDW... they have added 30 pounds each in just 10 months.

They were a little overweight before, and getting more so. Dr. appointments next week.
Please seek out some input about the emotional imprint of scarcity; this is a security issue and is very common among children who have been marginalized. :flower3: I wish you all well.

First I want to say thank you for giving those beautiful girls a real chance in life. That is just awesome! It is a wonderful thing that you are doing for them and for you.

Second, I have a 15.5 year old who is not adopted and she has struggled with her weight her entire life. We just got back from a cruise. I did try to talk to her about limiting the junk but it was pointless and caused stress for us both. What I did do that was helpful was, we took the stairs instead of the elevator no matter where on the ship we were going. It was my one rule for the cruise. You would be surprised how many calories you can burn by taking the stairs. You could also add a few laps around the ship in the morning. Use that time to ask them about the day before and plan the day ahead. I find that my daughter doesn't mind walking with me if I make the conversation all about her, plus she tells me things I never would have known about her life. I would also recommend skipping the buffet and eat in the main dining room as much as possible. The portions are reasonably sized and I found the food to be much better than the buffet. The buffet is an invitation to overeat.

You will love the cruise and so will the girls. See if they will go to the teen open house on day one. They might enjoy meeting other kids and maybe someone else will speak their native language which would be a treat for them. Limit your expectations around the weight gain. Eat as healthy as you can before the cruise. My daughter did not put on any weight and she did eat more than I would have liked. I wish I had been less on her about the food.

Thank you for the reply! The girls have both indicated that they would like to lose weight, so that is a start. We will gently try to help them with this. One is now in dance classes 3 nights per week, so getting some exercise. The other still needs to find an exercise activity that she likes.

As I said before... it has been a difficult challenge to help these girls, but they are improving every week. After seeing so many beautiful children in the orphanages of Colombia, I only wish we could do more.

You can see our adoption adventure here: http://macdonaldadoption.blogspot.com/

We are flying to Orlando, arriving in the afternoon on the day before the cruise. We will stay at Disney Coronado Springs that night. RCCL says departure is at 4 pm the next day. Is that when the ship leaves, or is it when we should arrive at the dock? It's not clear on the web site.

The ship returns a week later at 6 am. Is it reasonable to Uber back to WDW that morning, spend the day at a water park, then Uber to the airport for an early evening flight home? Cutting it too close?

Last edited:
We are flying to Orlando, arriving in the afternoon on the day before the cruise. We will stay at Disney Coronado Springs that night. RCCL says departure is at 4 pm the next day. Is that when the ship leaves, or is it when we should arrive at the dock? It's not clear on the web site.

The ship returns a week later at 6 am. Is it reasonable to Uber back to WDW that morning, spend the day at a water park, then Uber to the airport for an early evening flight home? Cutting it too close?

you must be ON BOARD 90 minutes BEFORE scheduled departure time. arrive even 5 minutes late and you will be denied boarding. you will be attending the lifeboat drill before the ship departs at 4 which is non negotiable or missable. most people plan on arriving late morning as the ship will begin boarding as early as 11, 1130.

IIRC Uber may not actually be allowed at the piers at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter