Kids and Concierge?

We did concierge on the Dream when girls were 5 and 1. There were lots of other families and no one batted an eye. I am hypersensitive to that, and I was totally comfortable. On another line, I might hesitate, but definitely not on DCL.

Sixpack said:
I booked two concierge rooms on the Fantasy for 2013. We're a family of six and my kids will be 10 and under at the time of sailing (the youngest two will be five). I'm starting to question if I should have booked a concierge room with small kids. Reading the threads here (and reviews), it seems adult parties usually book these rooms and I'm wondering if my children will not be well-recieived in the concierge areas. We just got back from a cruise on the Dream and my kids were great (generally very well-behaved), but they are kids and have their moments. I just don't want to spend my cruise feeling like others in the lounge or sun deck are annoyed we are there. That would ruin my trip.

I'd love to hear the experience of how others with kids in concierge felt. Were there other kids in the lounge and sun deck areas? Did you feel like the adults were annoyed you booked a Concierge room with kids? I'd think that since it's a Disney cruise, kids would be everywhere, but who knows! Thanks in advance!

If someone is annoyed, they should go to the adult only areas. The royal suite sleeps a lot more than just two adults, and if you can afford it, then you're welcome to the perks

cruisecrasher said:
If someone is annoyed, they should go to the adult only areas. The royal suite sleeps a lot more than just two adults, and if you can afford it, then you're welcome to the perks

So very true!! Better yet, maybe cruise on a different cruise line! This is Disney we are talking about. A ship geared towards kids! I hope you and your family have a great trip!

This is Disney we are talking about. A ship geared towards kids! I hope you and your family have a great trip!

In general, I agree with you. However, families come in all shapes, sizes, and make up. DCL DOES have adult only areas and these need to be respected by children and the adults with them.

Other than the adult only areas, the ship is geared toward kids and families!

And Concierge is NOT an adult only area.

I'm 24, and my parents and I just got off the Fantasy, where we were Concierge guests. Having the kids around didn't bother us at all (I have 7 nieces and nephews, and my degree is in middle grades education--safe to say I love kids). However, there were some very entitled parents on board who apparently thought that the word "concierge" meant babysitter. There would be kids running around the lounge by themselves (or even when their parents were there), and they would be interrupting the concierge ladies who were trying to help the other guests. And those ladies were extremely patient, but you could tell even they were getting annoyed at times.

With that being said, as long as you make sure your kids are under control (and it sounds like you will!), then there isn't a problem with them being in the lounge. I saw some tween girls on the sundeck once, and that was because one of the girls was just showing her new friends what it was like. They weren't there 2 minutes. As previously stated, there is no pool or hot tub on the sundeck, so kids don't like to spend a lot of time there.

You paid for your kids to be concierge level, and they should be. Just make sure they are aware that, while the concierge ladies are amazing and so friendly, they are also very busy (we were told by one of them that they work about 90 hours a week), and they have to help all the concierge guests.

But, if your kids like the kids clubs and such, you might never get them to the concierge lounge anyway. :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter