Kids and Concierge?

Sixpack

Earning My Ears
I booked two concierge rooms on the Fantasy for 2013. We're a family of six and my kids will be 10 and under at the time of sailing (the youngest two will be five). I'm starting to question if I should have booked a concierge room with small kids. Reading the threads here (and reviews), it seems adult parties usually book these rooms and I'm wondering if my children will not be well-recieived in the concierge areas. We just got back from a cruise on the Dream and my kids were great (generally very well-behaved), but they are kids and have their moments. I just don't want to spend my cruise feeling like others in the lounge or sun deck are annoyed we are there. That would ruin my trip.

I'd love to hear the experience of how others with kids in concierge felt. Were there other kids in the lounge and sun deck areas? Did you feel like the adults were annoyed you booked a Concierge room with kids? I'd think that since it's a Disney cruise, kids would be everywhere, but who knows! Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you have sound judgement. Go for it and use your judgement.

Honestly, if you have paid for the concierge room, who cares what someone else thinks about you having kids in your room? The sun deck does not have a pool area, so not sure if your kids will want to hang out there instead of the pool, but technically you have paid for the privilege to be there also. I'm not saying let them have the run of the place, but if they behave themselves why would they bother anyone? It doesn't sound like you would let your kid scream in a theater during a show for 10 minutes, and would make them leave if they acted that way no matter where on the ship you were at the time. You are right, it is a Disney cruise and if adults do not want to see kids they can go to the adult areas, no matter which category they booked.

I here your concerns we were flying on airtran once and I paid to upgrade the family to 1st class (trying to use up credits). My DD was 11 @ the time and this guy walked on the plane looked at her and made snarky remark about letting kids in 1st class. (lets say hes lucky DH didnt hear it). I couldnt believe my ears, I paid for it & she is a well behaved child.

We stayed conceirge in Hawaii and there were kids all the time in the lounge didnt bother us at all. They were well behaved, sometimes more than the adults.

Bottom line there will always be someone who has something to say. It is your vacation you paid a lot for it so dont let what other people have to say affect your time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards

kids are allowed in the concierge areas, so if you've paid for it, you have every right to be there...
it's true there are some hotels where kids aren't allowed in concierge (and i'll admit i love those concierge lounges), but when kids are allowed, kids are allowed..

typically, kids aren't all that interested in the sun deck as it's relatively boring (other than the character meet and greet), so they don't tend to hang out up there...(it's both boring and dangerous in terms of sun exposure)....but if kids want to be up there, and they've paid for concierge, it's their right to be there... more than likely, the kids will want to be more interesting places than the concierge lounge/sun deck, but if they want to hang out there, it's their right to do so... :)

Not only are children allowed in the concierge lounge, but there's a section specifically for them. There's a television with cartoons playing and coloring pages, just like the lobbies of the hotels. There is a character meet-and-greet on the sun deck, too. During happy hours, the bartenders make smoothies for the kids (that may happen at other times, too, but I've only sailed the Dream once and that's when I saw it). The concierge lounge hosts on my cruise paid special attention to the kids. They were very welcome!

ETA: I was not traveling with children and I was not annoyed in the least!

Honestly, if you have paid for the concierge room, who cares what someone else thinks about you having kids in your room? The sun deck does not have a pool area, so not sure if your kids will want to hang out there instead of the pool, but technically you have paid for the privilege to be there also. I'm not saying let them have the run of the place, but if they behave themselves why would they bother anyone? It doesn't sound like you would let your kid scream in a theater during a show for 10 minutes, and would make them leave if they acted that way no matter where on the ship you were at the time. You are right, it is a Disney cruise and if adults do not want to see kids they can go to the adult areas, no matter which category they booked.

Agreed. If you want to do concierge with your kids, I wouldn't think twice.
For that matter if you wanted to fly first class as previously mentioned, I wouldn't think twice about that either. These are not by any means adult only areas.

My kids 2 and 4 were treated wonderfully in concierge. I had a lovely little "lunch" with my toddler in the lounge one day and my husband used to have our preschooler help with getting breakfast items from the lounge in the mornings. Character meet and greet on the sun deck with smoothies was a hit - otherwise they had no interest in being there. Stateroom host also was very sweet with them in our rooms and accomodating of making up their beds quickly in the evening. Concierge staff brought arcade cards for my preschooler, a signed card from Daisy Duck for my toddler when she broke her arm, helped us arrange meals in our rooms for the kids, and assisted in planning my nephew's third birthday in one of our family's other Cat V rooms down the hall. Considering the personalized level of service you'll be receiving, you might actually find your kids are even better behaved than usual as their every need is catered to as well! We saw lots of kids in concierge and all of them were polite and well behaved. I'm sure yours will be the same and you'll have a great time. :)

Having just returned from Fantasy concierge, I can absolutely recommend that you bring the kids and have fun! The concierge staff made sure that our kids (DS11 and DD6) were not only accommodated, but happy. They gave the kids arcade cards, offered juice/milk/soft drinks each visit, and even set aside some of my daughters favorite chocolate desserts after she remarked about how good they were. I wouldn't dream of cruising Disney without our kids. Don't give it a second thought.

As for the sun deck, my wife and I went up there once. Our kids only went for the character meet and greet. Honestly, the private area was nice, but our kids wanted to be with other kids, so they went to the clubs. I don't remember seeing kids up on the sun deck, but I wasn't there much.

Have fun and enjoy your vacation.

This is Disney! It is 100% kid friendly in concierge, just like the resorts!

I've booked us in Concierge for our 1st Disney cruise next year, in part because of the reviews from here talking about how kindly the kids are treated in Concierge. My oldest will turn 8 on the ship, and my youngest will turn 4 the day after we get off (so we'll celebrate her birthday onboard too) and I thought being in Concierge might make their birthdays just that much more special.

My kids 2 and 4 were treated wonderfully in concierge. I had a lovely little "lunch" with my toddler in the lounge one day and my husband used to have our preschooler help with getting breakfast items from the lounge in the mornings. Character meet and greet on the sun deck with smoothies was a hit - otherwise they had no interest in being there. Stateroom host also was very sweet with them in our rooms and accomodating of making up their beds quickly in the evening. Concierge staff brought arcade cards for my preschooler, a signed card from Daisy Duck for my toddler when she broke her arm, helped us arrange meals in our rooms for the kids, and assisted in planning my nephew's third birthday in one of our family's other Cat V rooms down the hall. Considering the personalized level of service you'll be receiving, you might actually find your kids are even better behaved than usual as their every need is catered to as well! We saw lots of kids in concierge and all of them were polite and well behaved. I'm sure yours will be the same and you'll have a great time. :)

Please clarify....did she break her arm while on the ship, or was it already broken?

This is all very good to hear! I'm feeling much better about it all now! I agree we will not spend a lot of time on the sun deck, but I suspect we'll be in the lounge every breakfast, at least. That's the main reason I opted for concierge this time. Breakfast was always stressful for us and I thought having the lounge across from our room would help make that part of the trip easier. So, I'm very glad to hear that kids will be welcomed there. Now, I'm even more excited about our trip, if that is even possible!

I have always cruised concierge with my kids. The first time, my kids were 3, 12, and 17. Kids were always very well received, and mine have no idea what cruising outside of concierge is like! Hahahaha. :)

Your kids should be fine! They will enjoy your Concierge room and verandah and all the special attention from the Concierge team. I have not noticed any problem with kids on the sundeck, but most seem to get bored up there in a short while.

There is a nice "kid's area" in the Concierge Lounge and usually cartoons playing on the big TV. The one and only problem I have ever observed was when unsupervised kids have used their hands instead of the utensils at the food area, or when they have picked something up with their hands then put it back, or dropping a serving utensil on the floor then putting it back in the food. This is RARE and is only the result of being unsupervised. But then, I have seen a few similar incidents with some adults! :lmao:

Enjoy! :dance3:

We've booked a 2013 cruise on the Fantasy in concierge, and it's never even occurred to me to worry about having my kids with us. They will be 10 and 8 when we sail.

They call it a "Concierge Family Stateroom with Veranda" so I think you're good! :thumbsup2 Enjoy!

As an adult couple who sails concierge without kids, let me just say it would never occur to me that the lounge or sundeck would be for adults only. Anyone who books concierge is entitled to use the lounge and sundeck, no matter their age.

I've seen raucous behavior in the lounge, but it was from some entitled adults, not kids. They will even have smoothies for the kids during happy hour, or Shirley Temples. Enjoy.

I think anyone without kids who won't at least tolerate kids wouldn't go on a Disney cruise ship.

My wife and I don't have kids, but we have the mindset that several others have expressed here. That, if it's an area where kids are allowed to be, they have every right to be there.

I have never cruised concierge, but it's Disney. The whole ship is designed for families and children. That's one of the main reasons we cruise with Disney. They never make you feel out of place having children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter